Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Need help balancing my Ronin. Please!!
11401 14 2015-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jhamelin
lvl.3
Canada

Hi everyone,

I can't seem to balance my 5d + 16-35mm on my Ronin-M.... I watched a whole bunched of videos and tutorials and it dosen't work, everytime i press that auto-tune button, the whole rig starts to shake and make crazy noise, even if I put the stiffness all the way down to 0.

One thing I noticed is that on most videos, the operator can move the camera in any directions/angle when the ronin is off and the camera will stay there. Mine won't.

I got it balanced so when its sitting flat it wont go forward/backward and it won't tilt and if I put it facing up it dosen't try to go back down and it dosen't tilt either. So all that is perfect.  But if I start moving it and leaving it in an angle it will fall and not stay perfectly in place. If I move the rig up and down for the Pan axis, the battery part will follow the direction but the camera will start swinging around.

What could I be doing wrong? I passed hours trying to make it work...

Thanks!
2015-5-28
Use props
aricsp
lvl.1

United States

Not sure if you are still looking for help, but I ran across this balancing video for the AllSteady 6 and all of the steps still apply to the Ronin, although the adjustments may be in a different spot. I found it helpful for balancing my Ronin-M when I first receive it.

Video link:
2015-5-29
Use props
jhamelin
lvl.3
Canada

I just can't get it to work... I follow this exact video and when my camera is facing up its perfectly balance, when its horizontal (facing me) its perfect too. but in-between its either top heavy or bottom heavy and I can never adjust it so its balanced in every situation.

Very frustrating
2015-5-29
Use props
Ray
lvl.1

United States

jhamelin@jhdpro Posted at 2015-5-30 03:08
I just can't get it to work... I follow this exact video and when my camera is facing up its perfect ...

Its weird my buddy just could not wrap his head around it (and he is considerably smarter than I am) but I learned to balance Steady Cams in no time and the Ronin was easy (but hard to put into words)  Work one access at a time, the idea is get each access balanced so when you take your hand off it stays your not trying to get it to stay in the correct shooting position.    Its not that hard but strange... easy to come at it the wrong way... its not 1 2 3,  you change 1 you have will probably have to tweak 3.... then back to 2   

This video is a pretty good and notice how he clamped the handles?  not necessary but its nice to do if you have the clamps.... magic arm works great
2015-5-29
Use props
Ray
lvl.1

United States

Ray Posted at 2015-5-30 08:30
Its weird my buddy just could not wrap his head around it (and he is considerably smarter than I a ...

This is another very good video and its the full size ronin so its going to look/function more like your M

Key thing to remember is do a rough balance then go back and then do it all over again to fine tune it.  and just know running one access may very well toss another one out... little by little VERY small movements.  Promise, after you get it once its easy... the first time is odd, and always do it with the camera ready to shoot memory card and battery in, cap off hood or filter on... I have balanced several Steadycams only to realize they had no batteries or filters in place and I had to re balance    
2015-5-29
Use props
jhamelin
lvl.3
Canada

Hi Ray,

I spent another afternoon on this thing... I follow the same instruction he does. but for some reason I can't get it balanced when its in a 45 degree angle. If I put it in 45 degree looking up, the camera will continu all the way up, this means that its top heavy. But if I put it in a 45 degree angle looking down, the camera will continue all the way down, this means that its bottom heavy. So adjusting it for when its looking down will make it even worst when its looking up. But when if i place it 90 degrees looking up or 90 degrees looking down or when its flat (180 degree) its fine.

I guess my big problem is that I don't know when my issues is the tilt or the vertical tilt.
Sorry if im not really clear...

Thanks
2015-5-30
Use props
jhamelin
lvl.3
Canada

Or is it me that's trying too hard? in the video you posted

at 5:07 & 6:03 he only checks a couple angles and never when the camera is completly facing down or up.
2015-5-30
Use props
Ray
lvl.1

United States

jhamelin@jhdpro Posted at 2015-5-31 03:02
Or is it me that's trying too hard? in the video you posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRjTyN ...

so easy to show but man I can't put it into words, very frustrating.   its not like balancing a board on a fulcrum it like balancing a plate on a point.    I wonder if I could see the set up i I could help... I have not setter on a  lens camera yet so I can rebalance mine as I watch.   
2015-5-30
Use props
Ray
lvl.1

United States

jhamelin@jhdpro Posted at 2015-5-31 02:51
Hi Ray,

I spent another afternoon on this thing... I follow the same instruction he does. but for s ...

ok if you TILT it up and it continues up and you point it down and it keeps going down you need to SLIDE the plate back a hair.... after that you will need to readjust moving the camera up and down (see pic for the up and down Im talking about)     
2015-5-30
Use props
jhamelin
lvl.3
Canada

Ill work on it tonight and do a video if I can't get it right lol. Thanks for your help
2015-5-30
Use props
DJI-Darryl
lvl.3

United States

jhamelin@jhdpro Posted at 2015-5-31 06:25
Ill work on it tonight and do a video if I can't get it right lol. Thanks for your help

Alright now it's my turn,
Ray is correct in that it takes a few "Re-balancing on all axis to get it perfect",
You will know it's perfect when you can grab the lens and put the camera in any position and it stays there and does not fall forward, backwards, or roll.
For me this was the best balancing video

But it still took days (about 3 days) to learn how to quickly balance any camera on my DJI Ronin 1 (1 is for the lack of a letter... like M)
After 2 1/2 days it would still never stay balanced... then something dawned on me!
"THE GOD DAMNED BASE PLATE AND ALL THE TOOL-LESS CLAMPS WERE SLIPPING"
Do yourself a favor and test for slippage on all the so called "Tool-Less" clamps
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/slippage
What I do now is use the the supplied hex key or Allen key and secure the clamps
because they will eventualy slip and throw everything off balance during usage or even worse "During a paid job!"
TOOL-LESS MY ASS DJI!

If that does not help you, then return it for another one.

Good Night!
2015-5-30
Use props
edstrand2
lvl.1

United Kingdom

DJI-Darryl Posted at 2015-5-31 15:32
Ray is correct in that it takes a few "Re-balancing on all axis to get i ...

Well, or get a refund save some money and get the MoVI

Did you ran into any Auto-Tune vibrating issues with your Ronin?
2015-5-31
Use props
Ray
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Darryl Posted at 2015-5-31 15:32
Ray is correct in that it takes a few "Re-balancing on all axis to get i ...

"... then something dawned on me!
"THE GOD DAMNED BASE PLATE AND ALL THE TOOL-LESS CLAMPS WERE SLIPPING"
Do yourself a favor and test for slippage on all the so called "Tool-Less" clamps"

Never thought of that!!! I have only been playing with tiny cameras and the OP is woking with a pretty decent sized Canon DSLR.  Guess I know what the included allen wrenches were for  
2015-5-31
Use props
jhamelin
lvl.3
Canada

yeah well the first time it happened to me I took a allen wrench and tight up all clamps to make sure nothing was vibratting. One was so tight it scratched the paint lol.

I will take a look at all of them again and apply some pressure see if any could be slipping

edit : another user posted this

As you can see his balancing is spot on and he is having the same vibrating issues. Clearly there's something wrong with the Ronin-M
2015-5-31
Use props
noipego
lvl.4
Greece

The auto tune noise/vibration is normal....for balancing keep in mind that you have to make some fine microadjustments like 1mm or less if you want perfect balance with Ronin-M....also the vertical adjustment is the key for the last finetuning of both tilt and roll axis....have patience and ull get it done eventually
2015-6-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules