Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin M test footage.
2603 8 2015-5-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mydaddy
lvl.2

United States

Quick Ronin M test. No Ronin Assistant app used since I have an Android. I do have a vast experience with steadycam and glidecam so balancing, controlling, and walking was a breeze.
2015-5-28
Use props
llbr22
lvl.4
Flight distance : 253087 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice. So how do you like usage of this vs. the glidecam?

I still think glidecam work looks great, and I like the simplicity of no electronics. But curious to hear from someone who uses both.
thanks!
2015-5-28
Use props
ddvideo
lvl.1

Australia

Nice job! I like the slow motion. Works well
2015-5-29
Use props
sveilien
lvl.2

United States

I just got mine and I have Android as well, so no assistant for me either. I do not have the balancing experience so I'd like to ask a question.

I appear to do the manual balancing correct: the camera sits level and doesn't fall to any side. However, when I turn the Ronin-M on, it aligns itself, but after moving around a little, it stars to turn on the roll axis. Now, should I just turn it off, rebalance the roll axis or is this something that needs the app to calibrate?
2015-5-29
Use props
ddvideo
lvl.1

Australia

sveilien Posted at 2015-5-30 10:35
I just got mine and I have Android as well, so no assistant for me either. I do not have the balanci ...

Hi sveilien, I have just got back from my first day in the field with my brand new Ronin-M and I experienced the same issue. I have not been able to use the DJI Assistant App (because it doesn't seem to work with Android) however I have used the software via PC to Auto Tune Stability and test pan/tilt/roll etc. The camera settles nicely but after a few minutes of actually using the unit it rolls to the right. It seems to get worse with more use. I turn the unit off and back on again, it seems to be ok but in less than a minute it rolls to the right again. Maybe we should start a new thread?
2015-5-29
Use props
ddvideo
lvl.1

Australia

I just got mine and I have Android as well, so no assistant for me either. I do not have the balanci ...

Actually just a quick follow up on my last comment. This morning I switched lens (7-14mm to 12-35mm) and only performed a Auto Tune Stability using the software. This is when I experienced the roll creep. I have just calibrated the system with the 12-35mm and been using for the last 15 minutes without experiencing roll creep. So, re-calibrating the system each time seems to help.
2015-5-29
Use props
mydaddy
lvl.2

United States

Understand that its a 3 axis gimbal, you need to balance each axis as though its independent of each other. What I do is when I am finished with the balancing, I leave the motor OFF and walk away for about 5-10 minutes, when you come back, when you come back, it should still be in the same position, if not, then its off balance.  So why leave it along? The weight will start to shift and settle in, there are times when I think its balance, I go away to set up lights and come back and the camera is slightly tilted.
2015-5-29
Use props
mydaddy
lvl.2

United States

llbr22 Posted at 2015-5-29 01:28
Nice. So how do you like usage of this vs. the glidecam?

I still think glidecam work looks great,  ...

They both have pros-cons.  With the glidecam HD4000, I find myself constantly fine tuning, changing lens, adding a filter, a slight gush of wind, or worst, a windy day.  I spent more time tuning it then filming with it, and once you start to add all the accessories like monitors, its heavy. Putting it down and barely bumping the base plate could cause the weight to shift and now you have to start over. With the Ronin M, the think people see it as a "gimbal for dummy", put on a camera, "auto-tune" and go.  You still have to understand how to balance each axis independently, but because you or using two hands, its easier on the body, much easier to pan with the Ronin then using your fingers to turn a glidecam/steadycam. Its compact and you can break it down easily and store away.  The best thing about a 3 axis gimbal is that you can add a follow focus, can't do that on a glidecam.
2015-5-29
Use props
mydaddy
lvl.2

United States

Understand that its a 3 axis gimbal, you need to balance each axis as though its independent of each other. What I do is when I am finished with the balancing, I leave the motor OFF and walk away for about 5-10 minutes, when you come back, when you come back, it should still be in the same position, if not, then its off balance.  So why leave it along? The weight will start to shift and settle in, there are times when I think its balance, I go away to set up lights and come back and the camera is slightly tilted.
2015-5-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules