Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Mavic 2 (Pro) questions
2218 13 2018-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FRCornelis
First Officer
Flight distance : 1252884 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello all,
Just got my M2Pro delivered yetsteray, came earelier than expected, so excited about the new toy...

I have a couple+ of questions, hope you guys can help and thank you in advance for your valued input:

Before my first flight, do I really need to calibrate IMU and Compass? I used to do that with my previous Phantom series as "preventive maintenece" and making sure it's safer, never had an issue but...

Now, I'm reading everywhere you are not supossed to do that unless the software / indication lights prompts to do so or pherhaps if you travel like 50 miles from your previous location, nor I can find any reference on the Quick Start Guide about this.

Does this count when the unit is brand new out of the box? this thing came from China so not very confidnet about the first flight without doing this even when not prompted.

Also, does the Mavic 2 have Dual Compass and IMU? I don't see the redundace in GO 4 app like on my previous Mavic showing two bar graphs, now it only shows one for IMU and one for Compass. It would be a huge disapointment without redundance as it makes it a lot safer, am I missing something here?

Last but not least, is Fixed Wing mode still available? I l loved that feature from Mavic 1, I'm yet to fly it for the first time, only updated the firmware on both controller and aircraft and played with the settings but didn't see this mode available (at least without flying it)

I appreicate your feedback
Best regards,
FC

2018-8-28
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

While it's okay to calibrate the IMU and compass whenever you feel the need to do so, you should not have to calibrate them out of the box or often. Check out the Mavic Compass Calibration Guide for the best practices.

Fixed Wing mode is not currently an option.
2018-8-28
Use props
RickC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 478757 ft

I did mine out of habit, not sure if it's a must thiugh. Mine wouldnt calibrate the IMU at all. It always just stopped going on step 3 and wouldnt go past that so I gave up.
2018-8-28
Use props
Fraggboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

I calibrated my compass/IMU's/Vision cameras.  IMHO, it doesn't hurt to perform these steps.  There are redundancy in the IMU's.  There is only 1 compass.  I started a thread and the admin verified.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-163710-1-1.html
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, I would like to congratulate you on having a new Mavic 2 Pro. I would recommend doing a pre-flight checklist before you fly your drone, calibrating the IMU and compass will ensure the stability and readings of your aircraft. Sorry that we have to confirm first the second query to our engineers for accurate information and the fixed-wing mode is not yet available with our Mavic 2 Pro. Please pay attention to our website for further updates. Thank you for the interest.
2018-8-28
Use props
FRCornelis
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Thank you all.
Hope they add Fixed Wing mode
And hopefully the one compass setup won't cause any safety concern, not sure why they went that way. previous P4 and Mavic Pro had two.
Uncertain.

FC
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

FRCornelis Posted at 2018-8-28 13:31
Thank you all.
Hope they add Fixed Wing mode
And hopefully the one compass setup won't cause any safety concern, not sure why they went that way. previous P4 and Mavic Pro had two.

Hi, Thanks for your inquiry, I was able to confirm the query about the IMU and compass. Our Mavic 2 is designed to have dual IMU and single compass. Please let us know if you need our help. Thank you.
2018-8-28
Use props
FRCornelis
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-28 13:29
Hi, I would like to congratulate you on having a new Mavic 2 Pro. I would recommend doing a pre-flight checklist before you fly your drone, calibrating the IMU and compass will ensure the stability and readings of your aircraft. Sorry that we have to confirm first the second query to our engineers for accurate information and the fixed-wing mode is not yet available with our Mavic 2 Pro. Please pay attention to our website for further updates. Thank you for the interest.

Thank you DJI Tony,
Well, the "not yet available" leaves the door open for future updates enabling that, let's hope.
I will then calibrate IMU and compass before the first flight as I always did, it won't hurt anything I guess.

Regards,
FC
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

FRCornelis Posted at 2018-8-28 14:36
Thank you DJI Tony,
Well, the "not yet available" leaves the door open for future updates enabling that, let's hope.
I will then calibrate IMU and compass before the first flight as I always did, it won't hurt anything I guess.

Hi FC, sorry for the late response. Hopefully, we ended up with the positive result. Please let us know if you have other concern. Thank you for understanding. Have a safe flight.
2018-8-29
Use props
nivong
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2267251 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

msinger Posted at 2018-8-28 12:36
While it's okay to calibrate the IMU and compass whenever you feel the need to do so, you should not have to calibrate them out of the box or often. Check out the Mavic Compass Calibration Guide for the best practices.

Fixed Wing mode is not currently an option.

Jus to add to that link you posted. Please add to the compass dance that it needs to be done COUNTERCLOCKWISE .
2018-8-29
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

nivong Posted at 2018-8-29 13:37
Jus to add to that link you posted. Please add to the compass dance that it needs to be done COUNTERCLOCKWISE .

It makes no difference if you turn clockwise or counterclockwise.
2018-8-29
Use props
fansab0dac58
lvl.1

The manual states to calibrate compass, and gives some info but is very incomplete. It also took me a while to confirm that there is only once compass on the Mavic 2
2018-8-29
Use props
EricASI
lvl.1

United States

RickC Posted at 2018-8-28 12:39
I did mine out of habit, not sure if it's a must thiugh. Mine wouldnt calibrate the IMU at all. It always just stopped going on step 3 and wouldnt go past that so I gave up.

I am running into this same issue...did you ever get it resolved?
Thanks
2018-9-4
Use props
bomberuk
First Officer
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

RickC Posted at 2018-8-28 12:39
I did mine out of habit, not sure if it's a must thiugh. Mine wouldnt calibrate the IMU at all. It always just stopped going on step 3 and wouldnt go past that so I gave up.

to calibrate the mav 2 imu you have to ignore step 3, it goes like this 1 normal 2 right side 3 left side 4 upright 5 on its back, there is a mistake in the picture for step 3 ;)
2018-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules