Help with OTG Connection - Solved -
6404 26 2018-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ssylca44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434721 ft

Hi,

I have used the OTG connection since the last firmware update without any difficulties, but just a few days ago the OTG link is not connecting most of the time.
I have an Asus ZenPad 8.0 Tablet running Android OS.
The order of power ON is as follow;
- 1) the spark, wait for ok
- 2) the RC, wait for the connection to AC
- 3) connection of the OTG cable to the RC, then to the ZenPad (which is already ON)

What state should the wifi be?
a) airplane mode?
b) home network with the internet?
c) turned OFF?

It is very annoying as it worked very well before and I don't recall changing anything in the Tablet setup.

Any suggestion or advice?

Thanks.

S.
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're very sorry for some Inconvenience. Regarding with that may I ask have you tried to use any different OTG cable and USB cable as well just to isolate the issue? And for that one Airplane mode and Home network wifi should be not affected regarding when using an OTG.
2018-8-28
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

First, change your setup process to plugging the OTG cable to the tablet first, and then to the controller. The wifi should be turned OFF. Let me know if you have any other questions!
2018-8-28
Use props
djiuser_DM7YZmMkRAd4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1535 ft
Poland

My order is - AC on - RC on - waiting for green ligtht in RC - phone on in airplane mode (Go 4 is off) - OTG into phone - OTG into RC - Go 4 starts itself. (Redmi 4X, Android 7). Hope it will help.)
2018-8-28
Use props
Haggi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2581785 ft
Norway

My OTG procedure (Android):
  • Turn on Remote Control (RC). Wait for solid red.
  • Plug in OTG cable in phone.
  • Plug other end in RC.
  • Choose DJI GO 4 app in popup window.
  • Wait until GO 4 app is open and it says "RC Connected" in lower left corner.
  • Power up your Spark. Try to place RC as close to Spark as possible. (DJI recommend 20 cm)
  • Bonding between RC and Spark should take less than 30 sec.
  • Hit GO FLY!

2018-8-28
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

few different start ups here, the mine:
Start RC, start AC, wait untill green light then put OTG in RC.
Rc connected then open app, check status.
check homepoint
FLY

and phone internet/wifi/bluetooth off.
2018-8-28
Use props
Wolferl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Since it all worked earlier, could it be that your ZenPad got an OTA update which makes OTG stop working?

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-8-28
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer

Thank you all. I have tried pretty much all combinations for start-up. WolferI suggestion might be right, still, I will keep at it!
Thanks for the forum, this is a great asset.
Cheers,
S.
2018-8-29
Use props
ssylca44
Second Officer

drewhoover Posted at 2018-8-28 18:05
First, change your setup process to plugging the OTG cable to the tablet first, and then to the controller. The wifi should be turned OFF. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Many thanks drewhoover, IT WORKED!
Cheers,
S.
2018-8-29
Use props
Amikase
lvl.2
Canada

It works the same with an ipad mini 2. yes
2018-8-30
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Second Officer

Croatia

Haggi Posted at 2018-8-28 22:25
  • Turn on Remote Control (RC). Wait for solid red.

• This is IMHO the best procedure as it minimizes the time AC is turned on but not flying, just depleting that tiny battery.
    2018-8-30
    Use props
    drewhoover
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 323455 ft
    United States

ssylca44 Posted at 2018-8-29 05:10
    Cheers,
    S.

You're very welcome!! Have a good one.
    2018-9-6
    Use props
    Wanbli
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 3848497 ft
    United States

ssylca44 Posted at 2018-8-29 05:10
    Cheers,
    S.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. I have a Samsung Tab A Tablet running Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow). I've tried 2 different cables (both work on other devices) and at least 3 different procedures, none work. Also, I've tried all 5 USB configurations (charging, MTP, PTP, RNDIS, Audio Source & MIDI) no joy. I've also tried my brand new Moto Z3, android 8.1, with BOTH cables and several procedures and it doesn't work either! Then I tried an older Samsung Galaxy S3, android 4.4.2 (kitkat), no joy there either.
    Knowing android as well as I do, it really shouldn't make any difference which plug is plugged in when or what state the RC or Tablet is in (as long as they're ON), when the connection is made the action (open popup) should occur.
    Since this is apparently a DJI provided function, I'm curious why DJI hasn't provided specific instructions for it's use instead of all of the users trying to figure it out? We all paid real good money for these devices and the instructions should be clear. I'm quite frustrated that I can't get this to work! Maybe my controller is defective?
    2018-9-26
    Use props
    ssylca44
    Second Officer
    Canada

Hi,
    I had my issues with OTG connection, and when I turn OFF the tablet, it takes a few attempts to establish the link. If your OTG cable has both ends a micro USB connector, make sure the OTG end is connected to the RC.
    Just keep on trying: Spark ON, then RC (wait for green), then tablet (load DJI GO4), connect OTG end to RC, finally USB end to the tablet.
    Good luck!
    2018-9-26
    Use props
    wimherman
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 208556 ft
    Norway

Wanbli Posted at 2018-9-26 07:41
    Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me. I have a Samsung Tab A Tablet running Android 6.0.1 (Marshmallow). I've tried 2 different cables (both work on other devices) and at least 3 different procedures, none work. Also, I've tried all 5 USB configurations (charging, MTP, PTP, RNDIS, Audio Source & MIDI) no joy. I've also tried my brand new Moto Z3, android 8.1, with BOTH cables and several procedures and it doesn't work either! Then I tried an older Samsung Galaxy S3, android 4.4.2 (kitkat), no joy there either.
    Knowing android as well as I do, it really shouldn't make any difference which plug is plugged in when or what state the RC or Tablet is in (as long as they're ON), when the connection is made the action (open popup) should occur.
    Since this is apparently a DJI provided function, I'm curious why DJI hasn't provided specific instructions for it's use instead of all of the users trying to figure it out? We all paid real good money for these devices and the instructions should be clear. I'm quite frustrated that I can't get this to work! Maybe my controller is defective?

Same case here. I was trying to get OTG working on a Lenovo Tab 3 (TB3-X70F) Running Android 6 ... Not working.. Please DJI make OTG also available for Android 6 ...  

On my sony Xperia XZ1 with Android 8 OTG works flawless.. But i wanna also be able to use my tablet.
    2018-9-26
    Use props
    ssylca44
    Second Officer
    Canada

Hi,

My tablet is an Asus ZenPad 8.0 Tablet running Android OS.
    As mentioned in my posts #1 & #14, on some occasions, mostly after a complete shutdown of the tablet, it takes a few attempts to get the OTG going again, hence my initial post. It is usually a matter of unplugging and replugging the micro USB at the tablet end until the connection gets re-established.
    2018-9-26
    Use props
    DRLExpress
    lvl.1
    United States

I tried ssylca44's order and it worked 2 or 3 times now no joy. This morning I tried Haggi's and it worked once then nothing. I wish DJI would get this figured out. They keep saying "is your tablet on the list". I don't see how that would matter if it worked for a month or 2 then all of a sudden it won't work.  FYI I am using a Samsung Galaxy Tab E. It worked great for the first month I had my Spark. I never even thought about an order for things. If I didn't need the tablet for something else it would just stay hooked up. I would just turn on the AC, RC, and tablet in no particular order and would get "Go Fly".  Those days are over. Come on DJI get your act together.
    2018-9-28
    Use props
    ssylca44
    Second Officer
    Canada

Hi DRLExpress,

Are you sure that your OTG cable is ok? Is it a OTG adaptor + a regular data micro USB cable or an 'all in one' cable with two micro USB ends. If it is the latter, the OTG side need to be connected to the RC
    S.
    2018-9-28
    Use props
    DRLExpress
    lvl.1
    United States

Yes, the OTG dongle is always in the RC. I have 3 different cables.  Worked a couple of times yesterday. Today no. This is nuts.

Doug
    2018-9-30
    Use props
    ssylca44
    Second Officer
    Canada

Hi DRLExpress,

Usually, in the world of computers, if it worked once, it should work again. No doubt, some parameters are changing that keep OTG from working. Did you try to completely power off the tablet, power again everything in the order mentioned? One time I had problems to connect again but kept at it. Now if I have the OTG connected at both ends, the tablet make-up from standby and DJI GO4 starts on its own. Airplane mode ON or OFF doesn't seem to affect anything.
    Good luck ... keep trying.
    S.
    2018-10-1
    Use props
    Matteo D.
    lvl.1
    Flight distance : 12041 ft
    Italy

Haggi Posted at 8-28 22:25
  • Turn on Remote Control (RC). Wait for solid red.

• I have a problem with th otgg connection!
    If I follow this sequence (AC on, RC on, AC/RC connection, otg cable on phone and RC) DJI go 4 app pop up appears and disappears continuosly (like in this video: )
    If I follow Haggi's sequence, everything works fine until RC and AC get connected!!! My otg connection stops working... then restarts, then stops again and so on!!!
    It is very frustrating!
    Any suggestions????
    Thank you!
    ps android 6.0.1, dji go 4 app 4.3.2, latest spark firmware 01.00.1000
    2018-11-2
    Use props
    Haggi
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 2581785 ft
    Norway

First device has reversed portrait screen?
    Using Nova or other launcher?
    Disable this and restart..
    Maybe normal on a Tablet..if so, I have no idea.
    Has it ever worked?
    2018-11-2
    Use props
    Matteo D.
    lvl.1
    Flight distance : 12041 ft
    Italy

Haggi Posted at 11-2 11:18
    First device has reversed portrait screen?
    Using Nova or other launcher?
    Disable this and restart..

I have an Asus zenfone2 laser. Never modified.
    I have read in other forum that it might depend on phone battery level...
    I tried this morning both order and my otg connection worked!!!
    I tried again this afternoon (phone battery level 50%) and otg connection failed!!!!
    I don't know what to do to make it safely works!!!
    2018-11-3
    Use props
    S-e-ven
    First Officer
    Flight distance : 5922034 ft
    • >>>
    Thailand

Try an older Go4 version, 4.1.15 or 4.2.21
    apk mirror has them, try the version 30xxxxx, if available!
    2018-11-3
    Use props
    ssylca44
    Second Officer
    Canada

Hi Matteo D.

Did you try turning the phone function OFF and/or wifi?
    I have been using OTG since the July DJI update with an ASUS ZenPad tablet running Android V 6 without any problem.
    Good luck!
    S.
    2018-11-3
    Use props
    djiuser_12pWjf9NgPsj
    New

United States

What cable do I use to connect my Samsung Galaxy tab E to the spark controller?
    2019-1-10
    Use props
    ssylca44
    Second Officer
    Canada

Hi djiuser_,
    You will need an OTG cable with a micro usb end (the otg side) to connect to the RC the other end should connect to your Samsung Galaxy. It can be a female USB to connect with the charging usb cable that came with the Samsung or a male micro usb that will fit directly to the Samsung. Check on ebay for those.
    Good luck.
    S.
    2019-1-11
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules