Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
HELP!!! My Mavic 2 Pro fell out of sky into lake
6079 27 2018-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jimmy Chu22
United States

I feeling really sick right now.  Yesterday got Mavic 2 pro as gift from wife, flew yesterday after update software, no problem at all.  Was very happy, and like it better than old phantom 4.  Today went flying at lake park and went ok.  Then landed and put in fresh battery, to get picture of sailboats on lake.  full battery.  Flew around for few minutes taking picture of sailboat, then Mavic 2 pro just shut off and fall 40 feet into lake.  Battery was over 80%.  I just taking picture and drone shut down!!!  I look at remote while falling and it say aircraft disconnected.  

I call DJI support, and after hour of different people telling me to send drone back to let them look at it, I finally give up!  I keep telling them I cant send back, it in bottom of lake!  Then they tell me again to send it back and they make everything ok.  One person tell me to download log from drone to send it to him.  I just tell him it in bottom of lake!  He say "no problem" just send it back and they take care of me.  I tell him 5 times I cant send back, it fell in lake!   

Can anyone here help me?  I get runaround when had to send in phantom for repair, took 4 months and hours arguing on phone to get drone back with bad IMU.  I cant handle this, my wife dont make much and save all year for this gift for me.  DJI says cant help if I dont send drone back.    My head feel like it going to explode.  Wife sad.  No way to treat loyal DJI customer.

Jimmy
2018-8-28
Use props
RickC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 478757 ft

Post up your flight logs here for others to look at.
2018-8-28
Use props
Vendex
First Officer
Flight distance : 16722920 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I'm very sorry! You have log on your mobile device, post the log as RickC already said to see what's the situation before issue
2018-8-28
Use props
GaryNash
First Officer
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

Not even received mine yet and yet thats the 2nd dropped out the sky thread

https://forum.dji.com/thread-163863-1-1.html
2018-8-28
Use props
RickC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 478757 ft

I started flying over the lake today but I backed it off last minute. I decided I should fly it around for a solid week or 2 just to make sure everything is good and no bugs. After seeing this I am glad I did. So far I've had no issues *knock on wood*
2018-8-28
Use props
Paul_IA
Captain
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

GaryNash Posted at 2018-8-28 15:54

Wonder if it's for the same reason (overheating)?
2018-8-28
Use props
Blellow
Captain
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

My spark is my lake drone.  Sorry about your loss.  The log will fix everything.
2018-8-28
Use props
Alex Batalov
Captain
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

So far it’s the second faulty Mavic 2 issue from the factory. Shut off mid flight. Probably due to overheating chips.
2018-8-28
Use props
Alex Batalov
Captain
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

A and yes, I think this case is 100% covered by the warranty, if you retrieve the drone due to DJI policy maybe?
Not sure, because if it was software or hardware failure, isn’t that the case when it’s not necessary to present the old drone?
Like in a case of a true fly away.
I guess DJI have to analyze the logs to determine that and I think only then they should tell you if you need to send in the old drone or not.
I dunno, it’s my opinion.
I wish you good luck in this with DJI.
In my case they offered me only 15% discount.
Well it’s also true that very high wind took it, so I guess you can call it pilot newbie error

Fly safe.
Alex.
2018-8-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Jimmy, we're so sorry for the unpleasant experience. May I have your phone number and email address when you contacted our support? We'd like to check the exact status and try our best to help you out.
Also, please refer to the below, kindly export the flight records and the lite flight data in the APP, we'll arrange data analysis and offer you a proper a solution, thanks so much!

Android devices: Connect the mobile device with the PC, enter Internal Storage>DJI>dji.go.v4>FlightRecord(export the whole file, including the MCDatFlightRecords)
iOS devices: Connect the device to the computer, launch the iTunes, find the flight records in the DJI GO 4 app, and copy the FlightRecord folder to the computer(including the MCDatFlightRecords).

2018-8-28
Use props
jacksonnai
Captain

wow this might be the first one sorry to read that mate
2018-8-28
Use props
Grumps
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16610876 ft
United States

GaryNash Posted at 2018-8-28 15:54

Been following both. Neither has posted their log. Interesting.
2018-8-28
Use props
fansd64ef514
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3077 ft
United States

Man...this would make me sad too. I've flown mine probably 10 times already and I haven't had any issues. I'm kind of paranoid and I don't fly and of my drones over open water anyway. The community will be watching how this gets resolved.
2018-8-29
Use props
Jimmy Chu22
United States

I just sent it back.  Tired of the headache.  The community won't be watching, because soon after someone posts a serious problem about their Mavic 2, the mods hide it in a different forum, lest it cut into their profits.   I'm sure there are Chinese people somewhere with integrity....... I've found much better help and less censorship on THE other Mavic forum.  take care.
2018-9-1
Use props
Jimmy Chu22
United States

And the "so sorry to hear about that bot-like responses and cut and pasting made me realize I was getting nowhere.  They definitely pretend like they care, with their super-hero profile pics.  
2018-9-1
Use props
Jimmy Chu22
United States

I wonder if DJI Susan looks like that, or more like a toad.....

God bless,

Jimmy, former DJI customer
2018-9-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Jimmy Chu22 Posted at 2018-9-1 16:26
I wonder if DJI Susan looks like that, or more like a toad.....

God bless,

Hi Jimmy, we are not hiding anything, Mavic 2 is in top priority currently, we care much about customers' feedback about the new-released drone, moving the thread in the service sub-forum is more convenient for us to keep following up, and you also complaints about our customer support for the unprofessional response, very sorry about it, thanks for your understanding, please post the case number here if you need further assistance.
Could you please PM me your phone number and the email account when you contacted our support? Thank you.
2018-9-1
Use props
Jimmy Chu22
United States

Thank you DJI Mindy, my wife handle it already to keep me from stressing out.  I getting new one on Amazon, and learn lesson about not flying over water.  That was expensive mistake!  I'm not mad now but wallet still hurt.

Have great day,

Jimmy
2018-9-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Jimmy Chu22 Posted at 2018-9-2 05:13
Thank you DJI Mindy, my wife handle it already to keep me from stressing out.  I getting new one on Amazon, and learn lesson about not flying over water.  That was expensive mistake!  I'm not mad now but wallet still hurt.

Have great day,

You should be able to provide DJI FlightLog Data from your SmartDevice that GO-4 was running on.
I believe there is a way to get some BlackBox data from Remote Control too.

As for drone in lake.  If you know fairly closely (based on where you saw drone hit water and FlightLog GPS data) AND the lake is not to deep** in splash down area, local Scuba diving club my take a look for your drone.  Ours would have consider it an fun adventure.  With offer of Pizza and beer afterwards, some of us would already be bubbling about bottom.  

** Practical search 50-minutes at 60-foot depth, get much deeper and search time falls off quickly.  Unless you got special Scuba gear.

2018-9-2
Use props
MichealMedia
Second Officer
Flight distance : 179026 ft

Are you sure it is a Mavic 2? I have pre-ordered from Amazon, but still no shipping info. Could you recommend which store do you refer?
2018-9-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jimmy Chu22 Posted at 2018-9-2 05:13
Thank you DJI Mindy, my wife handle it already to keep me from stressing out.  I getting new one on Amazon, and learn lesson about not flying over water.  That was expensive mistake!  I'm not mad now but wallet still hurt.

Have great day,

That's all right. If there is anything else we can help, feel free to contact us.
2018-9-3
Use props
Jimmy Chu22
United States

MichealMedia Posted at 2018-9-2 19:34
Are you sure it is a Mavic 2? I have pre-ordered from Amazon, but still no shipping info. Could you recommend which store do you refer?

Yes Mavic 2 Pro.  I didn't order yet, but that where I plan to get it from.  Should be release today, and if anything wrong with it, easy peasy send it back within 30 days.   

Diving team cant look for old one, they not alowed in park lake.   Maybe I rent boat, go out and drag hooks across 1 acre area where it might be.   NOT !   
2018-9-3
Use props
MichealMedia
Second Officer
Flight distance : 179026 ft

Jimmy Chu22 Posted at 2018-9-3 02:47
Yes Mavic 2 Pro.  I didn't order yet, but that where I plan to get it from.  Should be release today, and if anything wrong with it, easy peasy send it back within 30 days.   

Diving team cant look for old one, they not alowed in park lake.   Maybe I rent boat, go out and drag hooks across 1 acre area where it might be.   NOT !

Good luck! I'm still waiting for my Mavic 2 Pro
2018-9-3
Use props
djiuser_4zqrLbD3cWqC
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40889 ft
United Kingdom

I feel your pain Jimmy.

I’ve had exact same problem. Thing just made a noise and dropped into lake. It was only few weeks old. I had taken out dji care refresh package also but it’s a waste of money unless the drone has been recovered. I sent my logs to support but they tell me there is no data to say why it fell. The log just ends. I’m guessing it burst transmits the log every few seconds or so and it hadnt enough time to send before it splashed down.
I am quickly losing faith in this product and it’s support. Having spent over £2000 on this with extras and now they want to give me  30%  discount to buy another which works out at £800 odd more for something I’m not going to feel confident with flying over water.

So far I’ve lost about a week of my life trying to find this dam thing to send it back. I’m now waiting on a diver and have also purchased an underwater metal detector for him to use.
2019-4-15
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

djiuser_4zqrLbD3cWqC Posted at 4-15 01:49
I feel your pain Jimmy.

I’ve had exact same problem. Thing just made a noise and dropped into lake. It was only few weeks old. I had taken out dji care refresh package also but it’s a waste of money unless the drone has been recovered. I sent my logs to support but they tell me there is no data to say why it fell. The log just ends. I’m guessing it burst transmits the log every few seconds or so and it hadnt enough time to send before it splashed down.

Sir, we've read your post and Gamora has responded as well: https://forum.dji.com/thread-186655-1-1.html Please kindly keep us updated there for better follow-up, thank you!
2019-4-15
Use props
BobDoLe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 763094 ft
United States

i have a feeling we're going to see a lot more of these as time progresses.
when you put in the mavic 2 battery, you'll feel that it clicks in TWiCE (one on each side).
the design of this unfortunately is such that ALL that is needed to cause the falling-out-of-sky issue is to GENTLY touch/push ONE of the buttons on either side of the battery.
this frees one side.

this issue is commonly recreated in the wild when you take your mavic 2 out of a fly more  combo bag. you clicked in the battery nice and snug when you put it in, but what you don't realize is that the case unlatched the battery. the battery will appear to be properly secured onto the aircraft and will give no indication that it is loose UNLESS you push down on it.
what happens is the battery no longer has a proper connection. there is an error that will show up in your flight logs before it eventually falls out of the sky.

i worked in QA before and I can promise you that DJI is aware of this issue.
2019-6-15
Use props
ANTHONYVLOG
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1217552 ft
  • >>>
France

Sounds like the battery wasn't locked in properly. Iv done experiments and it wont warn you if you don't have the laches locked like the Maivic Air. I even tried just pushing the battery enough to make the leads contact but none of the latches locked. The drone came on and was able to prime motors but as soon as it vibrated power cut to the drone but the battery was still on, another test with one click (single latch locked) was able to dislodge the battery by rapidly shaking / tilting the drone as it would under normal flight in the air the drone suffered an immediate and abrupt power loss due to the battery not making contact with the drones terminal. Iv been flying over lakes since I got the Mavic 2 Pro without issue. Pre-flight checks are paramount in mitigating / avoiding these issues. The lesson is not so much about flying over water but pre-flight checks. Sensors clean, battery locked (two clicks) motors spins freely (same resistance on all motors) any different in resistance would mean a problem with the motor which could lead to a catastrophic failure mid flight. Condition of propellers, would be good to take them off once in a while to inspect the locking tabs, spring on the motor cage etc.
2019-8-30
Use props
BobDoLe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 763094 ft

BobDoLe Posted at 6-15 05:30
i have a feeling we're going to see a lot more of these as time progresses.
when you put in the mavic 2 battery, you'll feel that it clicks in TWiCE (one on each side).
the design of this unfortunately is such that ALL that is needed to cause the falling-out-of-sky issue is to GENTLY touch/push ONE of the buttons on either side of the battery.

new firmware now alerts you to the battery issue:
New Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom Firmware Released (2019.09.16)
Overview: Date: 2019.09.16Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.0510DJI GO 4 App iOS: v4.3.24DJI GO 4 App Android: v4.3.24 What’s New? Added battery mounting detection. Aircraft is unable to take off if the Intelligent Flight Battery is not mounted correctly.

Nice solution DJI!
2019-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules