Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro (Whale Watching) - Setting an exclusion zone around object
766 6 2018-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
georgebuley
lvl.1
United States

Went whale watching the other day and got some great shots with my mavic pro.  I thought I was flying responsibly according to CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) regulations ... stayed 30 meters away from people (and marine animals), maintained visual at all times, did not fly directly overhead, did not operate in a way that creates a hazard, etc.  After the fact, I'm now aware that there are separate environmental rules to follow, which prohibits flying within 300 meters of whales and dolphins.

So my question is...  Is there a way to set a custom exclusion zone around a location or object so that in the future I would know exactly how close I'm allowed to get?  

Currently flying a Mavic Pro from the DJI GO 4 app on an iPhone.  The only way I can think to do it is to take off like normal, fly directly to the object of interest and see how far away I am from my home point...  and then backtrack from there to establish a 300 meter difference.  After I did this once I would think I'd be able to eye-ball the distance from then on based on the video feed.  Any way to set a custom exclusion zone would definitely improve accuracy.  Either in the DJI GO 4 app or maybe another app.

2018-8-28
Use props
GoneandDroneit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11551627 ft
  • >>>
Australia

100m above a whale and not to approach whales front on according to NPWS. it would be against casa rules to fly 300m agl
2018-8-29
Use props
georgebuley
lvl.1
Australia

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-8-29 02:22
100m above a whale and not to approach whales front on according to NPWS. it would be against casa rules to fly 300m agl

Wish it was so... but I'm referencing casa.gov.au and droneflyer.gov.au, which calls out the National Parks and Wildlife Regulation 2009.  In there, remotely operated craft are considered prohibited vessels which calls for the 300m limit.  Not supposed to fly over 120m but apparently should still maintain a 300m stand off distance.

So, any way to set a custom boundary or exclusion zone around an object or location?
2018-8-29
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for the inquiry, here in DJI we have a geo zone map which will allow you to determine if the location would be restricted or not and you can unlock the zone as well, however, if the problem would be the locally, unfortunately, our app does not have a capability of this option. Please see the link below to see our geo zone map.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe
2018-8-29
Use props
GoneandDroneit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11551627 ft
  • >>>
Australia

2018-8-31
Use props
georgebuley
lvl.1
Australia

Seems to contradict this...
A11B9FCA-D96A-456E-B77B-934082E5C840.jpeg
2018-8-31
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I applaud you for wanting to follow the rules.  Kudos.
2018-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules