Phantom 3 4K Fall from 450 Feet to sand
2043 24 2018-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
strongarm181
lvl.2
Flight distance : 229885 ft
United States

Sadly the video wasn't running...but she fell like a dead bird when that battery failed at 80+%.
Camera was found a solid 15 yards away, ha!
Besides the missing camera, 4 broken props which are obviously...the 2 legs were also detached and in bad shape and for whatever reason...I just couldn't calibrate the darn camera!

Poor Girl

Poor Girl
2018-8-28
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Please post the Flight LOG, so we can see what happened...

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
Follow the instructions, then post a link, thanks.

RedHotPoker

2018-8-28
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Is that carbon fiber props you have on it ? Just wondering, how to you know the battery failed at 92% ? Like RHP said, could you please post your flight log ? I’m sorry your  quad copter fell out of the sky.
2018-8-28
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

sorry for your lose
2018-8-28
Use props
strongarm181
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-8-28 18:06
Please post the Flight LOG, so we can see what happened...

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Allow me time to figure this out
2018-8-29
Use props
strongarm181
lvl.2
United States

Sayhelloforme Posted at 2018-8-28 18:36
Is that carbon fiber props you have on it ? Just wondering, how to you know the battery failed at 92% ? Like RHP said, could you please post your flight log ? I’m sorry your  quad copter fell out of the sky.

Trying to find those logs. The props were the DJI 9450 Carbon Fiber Reinforced props. I know it was battery failure because of the large "Battery Error" & red box that appeared in the top right of the app. The craft was just put up and was hovering and I remember the % being 80+%. When I got the read message I looked up and she was free falling/drifting like a dead bird and I had no control nor video transmission.

**Mental note-I got a weird battery message for a second while ascending...and I continued to ascend thinking it was a fluke. Next time, that won't happen
2018-8-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

strongarm181 Posted at 2018-8-29 01:42
Trying to find those logs. The props were the DJI 9450 Carbon Fiber Reinforced props. I know it was battery failure because of the large "Battery Error" & red box that appeared in the top right of the app. The craft was just put up and was hovering and I remember the % being 80+%. When I got the read message I looked up and she was free falling/drifting like a dead bird and I had no control nor video transmission.

**Mental note-I got a weird battery message for a second while ascending...and I continued to ascend thinking it was a fluke. Next time, that won't happen

You thought a battery warning was a fluke? ;-) With the technology that you were flying, mere flukes are pretty rare... Heed your warnings, don’t ever ignore them.

You might have saved your drone, had you landed it, immediately.

Post the flight LOG. Thanks.

RedHotPoker
2018-8-29
Use props
strongarm181
lvl.2
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-8-29 02:05
You thought a battery warning was a fluke? ;-) With the technology that you were flying, mere flukes are pretty rare... Heed your warnings, don’t ever ignore them.

You might have saved your drone, had you landed it, immediately.

Woohoo! This is pretty cool...learning something new today
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/OPOYLJWJJ1INJ8HA5Y52/#
As you'll see, (to me at least) everything looks fine until it loses power at 444.9 feet.
2018-8-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Uneventful flight looked like, other than telemetry just stops.  I did not see the battery warning you mentioned.
2018-8-29
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

strongarm181 Posted at 2018-8-29 04:42
Woohoo! This is pretty cool...learning something new today
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/OPOYLJWJJ1INJ8HA5Y52/#
As you'll see, (to me at least) everything looks fine until it loses power at 444.9 feet.

I cannot see the battery error either. I wonder if the battery was not locked in? Some of my batteries are for sure different in the way they snap in. Some click-in real nice, but I have a couple others that don't lock in that well. I find myself pulling them back out and putting them back in making sure they won't pull out. If you battery vibrated out of the phantom a bit, it might explain the loss of power. You battery voltages look good to me. Kind of strange about the battery-error that don't seem to be in the logs. I'm not saying I don't believe what you saw. Sorry for you loss.
2018-8-29
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

"BatteryCommunicateError" at 18 seconds, after that the voltages are not updated so no idea what was happening in the battery.  Maybe it turned itself off because nothing was talking to it.
2018-8-29
Use props
strongarm181
lvl.2
United States

How/where do you see something at 18 seconds? I don't see it...?
2018-8-29
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Nigel_ Posted at 2018-8-29 06:55
"BatteryCommunicateError" at 18 seconds, after that the voltages are not updated so no idea what was happening in the battery.  Maybe it turned itself off because nothing was talking to it.

Nigel is correct,  after 18 sec., the voltage reads the same for remainder of the log.
2018-8-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I wonder if the battery became disconnected, when it died...?

RedHotPoker
2018-8-29
Use props
strongarm181
lvl.2
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-8-29 08:16
Nigel is correct,  after 18 sec., the voltage reads the same for remainder of the log.

Yeah it does...but flies for another minute. Hmm.
2018-8-29
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

strongarm181 Posted at 2018-8-29 09:59
Yeah it does...but flies for another minute. Hmm.

My guess it that is may have backed out of the phantom a bit. causing you feedback for voltages to not update, and then finally becoming disconnected from the contacts enough to make it totally lose power. The batter was not still in your aircraft correct?
2018-8-29
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

strongarm181 Posted at 2018-8-29 07:44
How/where do you see something at 18 seconds? I don't see it...?

You can find "BatteryCommunicateError" in the verbose csv file from the download link on your flight log link.
Should be self explanatory, but I don't think there is much other information to be gained from the log, the guess that the battery came loose seems a reasonable one but it is only a guess.   It does appear that there was some sort of battery problem.
2018-8-29
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

All 4 of my intelligent flight packs, snap into place and you can hear the clasp click, when locked in the battery bay correctly.

If I don’t hear that familiar click, I will purposely extract the flight pack part way, and reintroduce it, to the drone. Making sure it is locked & secured.

RedHotPoker
2018-8-29
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

strongarm181 Posted at 2018-8-29 01:42

wow, I bet your heart was pounding. I'm so sorry that happen. Were they DJI batteries and did you take off at 100% ?
2018-9-8
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Even though my batteries snap into place (hate doing it, mind) i always give it the hard wiggle, trying to make it come out with pressing the nogginses in......
2018-9-8
Use props
JJMik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24572349 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry this happened to you. I too have flown after seeing a battery error at power up that went away before take off. I always hovered and checked the readings before continuing..

Is a battery message of any kind bad when you first power up and then it quickly goes away?  If you  hover and check that the app says battery is ok is that good or is it likely you will experience more problems n flight?  Im guessing it depends.

Should we be cleaning the battery connections?  

All the after market batteries seem to work great but don't make the click. I did buy one that wasn't seating correctly and giving me occasional error message . You could see a gap.
2018-9-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I do like to clean my battery connections.  I clean the obvious battery terminals in the AC, the tiny data tips in the AC (just the tips), and the visible data pads in the battery.  I use this stuff (top two):

I also like to launch only with a fully charged battery.

Sorry for your loss.  Hope you get it fixed.

Good luck
2018-9-9
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-9 08:15
I do like to clean my battery connections.  I clean the obvious battery terminals in the AC, the tiny data tips in the AC (just the tips), and the visible data pads in the battery.  I use this stuff (top two):

[view_image]

Mark, do you use a q-tip as an applicator?
2018-9-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Sayhelloforme Posted at 2018-9-9 08:37
Mark, do you use a q-tip as an applicator?

Hi Sayhello4Me, I sometimes use a Q tip but what I use more is one of the many handy applicators that this guy will include with purchase:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DeoxIT- ... stClass!20833!US!-1

I have yet to see anybody post a procedure for directly cleaning the contacts in the battery itself.  They're about impossible to reach.  So what I do is wet the contacts in the AC, then insert and remove the battery several times.  

Procedure:  

Apply small amount of the red stuff, wait two minutes, wipe it clean.  Then,

Apply small amount of the gold stuff, wait two minutes, wipe it clean.

Buy it now, thank me later  :-D

2018-9-9
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Second Officer
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-9 08:44
Hi Sayhello4Me, I sometimes use a Q tip but what I use more is one of the many handy applicators that this guy will include with purchase:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DeoxIT- ... stClass!20833!US!-1

Mark, that’s great information, I think I’ll give it a try. Mine seem to be ok now but will use it in the future. Thanks !!!!
2018-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules