Mavic 2Pro. How to get perfect fixed focus.
7196 11 2018-8-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Joshua Carlton
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24094 ft
  • >>>

Hello, I have had my M2P for two days now and have flown several times testing different camera settings and comparing it to my Mavic air, I noticed right away that the camera seemed to produce soft video even though I was tapping to focus. I really felt like the Mavic air was producing much sharper video and from a few sampleas floating around youtube I started considering the fact that the camera may not be what I thought it was going to be.  Today I was lucky enough to stumble upon this video by Irix Guys adventure channel. He simply shows you that if you set the focus to manual and tap infinity you get perfect fixed focus. I am sure many of you already know this but I suspect a few like myself don't. I had tried the manual focus on my original mavic as well asm the phantom 4 pro but only scrolled the touchscreen to infinity which always gave my blurry results. I never realized simply tapping the infinity symbal puts it in the perfect spot. I only have two flights after this but they are extremely sharp at all distances allowing me to focus on flying and lining up my shots. Hope this helps a few of you.-Joshua
2018-8-28
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200177 ft
United Kingdom

Not received mine yet but thanks for the tip.

2018-8-29
Use props
imwhitey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1921493 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very interesting. I think this makes sense because the "Tap to Focus" is really only so good from about the starting point of when you tapped on it. I believe once you fly closer your drone focus is essentially "locked" to the focal point you originally selected. At least with the infinity focus it should do a pretty nice job of staying at a constant solid point.
2018-8-29
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

Makes no sense that in this setting, he would not test hitting the flower for the macro view to see how the tripod leg focused?  I mean what's the sense of doing a demo of a scenario that doesn't even provide the scene to show hot well the tip works?  Yes, for long distance, it seems the best focus is just south of infinity - this holds true for just about any camera, so this is no great revelation. And, in MF you can often get a sharper focus than AF, if you work with it, which again is pretty common.  I will try this tip on clicking on the infinity icon and see how this helps, but it sure would have been nice if this fellow actually set up the scene to demonstrate the improved focus rather than a present a fuzzy tripod a few inches away.   
2018-8-29
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-8-29
Use props
Joshua Carlton
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24094 ft
  • >>>

MrArcher Posted at 2018-8-29 06:38
Makes no sense that in this setting, he would not test hitting the flower for the macro view to see how the tripod leg focused?  I mean what's the sense of doing a demo of a scenario that doesn't even provide the scene to show hot well the tip works?  Yes, for long distance, it seems the best focus is just south of infinity - this holds true for just about any camera, so this is no great revelation. And, in MF you can often get a sharper focus than AF, if you work with it, which again is pretty common.  I will try this tip on clicking on the infinity icon and see how this helps, but it sure would have been nice if this fellow actually set up the scene to demonstrate the improved focus rather than a present a fuzzy tripod a few inches away.

I agree its  a bit odd that he didn't test the macro, But I just wanted to share something that worked for me.
2018-8-29
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
United States

Josh, I'm glad you did. Thanks
2018-8-29
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

I seem to remember the auto focus on the first Mavic Pro didn't work perfectly either and then it got better with a firmware update.
2018-8-29
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
United States

On follow up, might work on the MP2, but not on the MPP
2018-8-29
Use props
Mossie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 40050791 ft
United Kingdom

My Pro2 takes fantastically sharp photos when I tap the screen, but I was disappointed with the focusing in video.  My Phantom 4 Pro takes amazing video always in focus when the drone is moving however the Pro 2 is seriously out of focus in video when the drone is moving and I wonder whether the camera is faulty.
For example I focused on a a flock of birds by tapping the screen, but as I moved towards them they became out of focus quite quickly.
2018-10-8
Use props
QuadcopterGuide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 828904 ft
  • >>>
Germany

For getting the sharpest focus take a look at this video:
2019-5-7
Use props
A J
Captain