Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Pro - Initial Impression
1234Next >
8086 140 2018-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>

Maidened the Mavic 2 Pro last night in Baltimore.  All I can say is "Wow!"  Control, responsiveness ,  FPV clarity , range, video.  Simply amazing.

DJI...AWESOME JOB!

Some footage straight off the card.  4K, 24 fps, full-auto

2018-8-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Nice videos, your right, I don’t think I’ve flown anything as stable and video feed is great . Enjoy.
2018-8-29
Use props
MrArcher
Second Officer
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

Nice videos DB!  Thanks.

PS - Jordan, why do you keep posting this video everywhere?  I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm sure DB already experienced his own unboxing, so why are you highjacking his thread?
2018-8-29
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Wow for straight of the card no editing looks amazing
2018-8-29
Use props
Fraggboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

Those videos are truly stunning!!  Thank you for sharing them.

I wish my results were the same.  I live in a rural area and I flew mine last night.  It looked like crap.   It needed more light.  I set everything to automatic so it had control of the aperture, speed and ISO.

I had a sneaky suspicion that there wasn't enough 'light pollution'.   
2018-8-29
Use props
Kingram
First Officer
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

MrArcher Posted at 2018-8-29 06:41
Nice videos DB!  Thanks.

PS - Jordan, why do you keep posting this video everywhere?  I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I'm sure DB already experienced his own unboxing, so why are you highjacking his thread?

He must really like it
  but I agree I have seen enough unboxings already.
2018-8-29
Use props
ghostrdr
First Officer
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Very nice!
2018-8-29
Use props
fans39c6a553
lvl.3
United States

Very nice.  The colors are fantastic.  However, After about 1 minute in, on the 1st video you begin to pan left.  It seems choppy like the frame rate suffers.  I didn't notice it when you were flying forward. Very noticeable when turning though.  
2018-8-29
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

Watched these this morning when I got up on my feed.  Nice videos Dirty, and I agree got mine yesterday and flew for a bit. What a beaut.  Unfortunately, my flymore hasn’t arrived yet, and I only had the one battery and of course now rain for the next 4 days.  Keep those videos coming, and let’s hope Litchi gets that a SDK soon.
2018-8-29
Use props
Charissa
Captain
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Looks awesome.No harsh lights, very nice color saturation.
2018-8-29
Use props
EdM
Captain
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can't wait till you get your hands on the compatible Litchi version and do some comparison runs.
2018-8-29
Use props
imwhitey
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1921493 ft
  • >>>
United States

Some great shots there! Thanks for sharing!
2018-8-29
Use props
MavicFit91
Captain
Flight distance : 573225 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow man! That is incredible!  The thing rocks!
2018-8-29
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

fans39c6a553 Posted at 2018-8-29 08:39
Very nice.  The colors are fantastic.  However, After about 1 minute in, on the 1st video you begin to pan left.  It seems choppy like the frame rate suffers.  I didn't notice it when you were flying forward. Very noticeable when turning though.

On all of my drones I have always noticed the video gets a little choppy when panning horizontally.  It can become really bad if you pan quickly.  That was a super slow pan so you wouldn't think it would show up.  60 fps hides it, but not an option on the Mavic 2 in 4K since 60 fps isn't an option.  60 fps isn't a good choice for night filming.  The doubled frame rate gives half as much time per frame to gather light resulting in the ISO doubling (in Auto at least) increasing grain & noise. Oddly you don't see this nearly as much when panning vertically.  Probably has to do with what has to be redrawn & how the display refreshes.
2018-8-29
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Awesome! thank you for sharing what a nice video. Cheers!
2018-8-29
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Thank you very much for sharing you first experience and these awesome videos, truly amazing! Can't wait for mine to arrive...
2018-8-29
Use props
DennisMurry08
Captain
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-8-29 13:39
On all of my drones I have always noticed the video gets a little choppy when panning horizontally.  It can become really bad if you pan quickly.  That was a super slow pan so you wouldn't think it would show up.  60 fps hides it, but not an option on the Mavic 2 in 4K since 60 fps isn't an option.  60 fps isn't a good choice for night filming.  The doubled frame rate gives half as much time per frame to gather light resulting in the ISO doubling (in Auto at least) increasing grain & noise. Oddly you don't see this nearly as much when panning vertically.  Probably has to do with what has to be redrawn & how the display refreshes.

Hey Dirty...you said no lag on your transmission..may I inquire what device you are using? Some of us are having real time lag issues and I’m wondering if it isn’t the phone/tablet. Thanks.
2018-8-29
Use props
fans5b3f5928
lvl.4
Flight distance : 113484 ft
Sweden

Wow, I'm impressed! Thank you for sharing.
2018-8-29
Use props
Novadesigns
lvl.3

Man, the nighttime videos with this camera are really fantastic! I really need to get out there and fly at night.
2018-8-29
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2018-8-29 14:13
Hey Dirty...you said no lag on your transmission..may I inquire what device you are using? Some of us are having real time lag issues and I’m wondering if it isn’t the phone/tablet. Thanks.

I am using a Note 4.  It is working great with no lag & very vrisp, fluid video..  Only issue is the phone dropped to the main phone screen a couple times but I may have pushed something or the USB connector may have moved.  I never liked the little side connector.  It's hard to get lined up & fully inserted into the phone.  On my Mavic Pros I just used the bottom USB & I will probably start doing the same for the Mavic 2 as well.
2018-8-29
Use props
Aeromirage
Captain
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>

Very clear. Excellent!
Only unboxing I want to see is mine!!!
2018-8-29
Use props
DennisMurry08
Captain
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-8-29 16:47
I am using a Note 4.  It is working great with no lag & very vrisp, fluid video..  Only issue is the phone dropped to the main phone screen a couple times but I may have pushed something or the USB connector may have moved.  I never liked the little side connector.  It's hard to get lined up & fully inserted into the phone.  On my Mavic Pros I just used the bottom USB & I will probably start doing the same for the Mavic 2 as well.

Thanks..I use the USB also...I think the 2 might require a higher capacity iPad/tablet/phone...there’s some lagging topics already...thanks again.
2018-8-29
Use props
BrianKushner
Captain
Flight distance : 41420253 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-29 06:13
Nice videos, your right, I don’t think I’ve flown anything as stable and video feed is great . Enjoy.

Did you ever fly Phantom 4?
2018-8-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

BrianKushner Posted at 2018-8-29 20:05
Did you ever fly Phantom 4?

I have flown it a bit this summer, mainly out of nostalgia I do fly P4Pro a fair bit mostly doing some community work with it, have done some SAR, it’s difficult to travel with, so have been using MavAir.
I’m thinking of selling P4Pro I’m expecting a new P5 to be released I would certainly be interested if it had interchangeable lens, I still believe phantom is the most recognizable drone out there so I don’t see dji fazing it out anytime soon.
2018-8-30
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Captain
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-8-29 13:39
On all of my drones I have always noticed the video gets a little choppy when panning horizontally.  It can become really bad if you pan quickly.  That was a super slow pan so you wouldn't think it would show up.  60 fps hides it, but not an option on the Mavic 2 in 4K since 60 fps isn't an option.  60 fps isn't a good choice for night filming.  The doubled frame rate gives half as much time per frame to gather light resulting in the ISO doubling (in Auto at least) increasing grain & noise. Oddly you don't see this nearly as much when panning vertically.  Probably has to do with what has to be redrawn & how the display refreshes.

With the electronic shutter it reads top to bottom which is as far as I know why the rolling shutter is worst when panning.
2018-8-30
Use props
Thriller
First Officer
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

Amazing video... I hate you In Italy we can’t fly during the night.
2018-8-30
Use props
David J.
Captain
Flight distance : 1231385 ft
United States

How far out did you get?
2018-8-31
Use props
Mhemond05
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1130771 ft
United States

It looks great right out of camera. Can't wait to get it.
2018-8-31
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

David J. Posted at 2018-8-31 07:26
How far out did you get?

Yesterday I flew out 22,309' before returning.   Signal was perfect the entire way. It was mostly over water at Fort Armistead so i didnt want to push it with just a couple cycles on the battery.  OccuSync 2.0 is incredible!
2018-8-31
Use props
David J.
Captain
Flight distance : 1231385 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-8-31 08:37
Yesterday I flew out 22,309' before returning.   Signal was perfect the entire way. It was mostly over water at Fort Armistead so i didnt want to push it with just a couple cycles on the battery.  OccuSync 2.0 is incredible!

Crazy, especially in the city environment. Where did you fly from? Flying in Portland, OR, I found that with my MA, I got much better range when I flew from a park, opposed to out of my backyard. Maybe the signal has less blockage right away?
2018-8-31
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very good!         
2018-8-31
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

Fraggboy Posted at 2018-8-29 07:23
Those videos are truly stunning!!  Thank you for sharing them.

I wish my results were the same.  I live in a rural area and I flew mine last night.  It looked like crap.   It needed more light.  I set everything to automatic so it had control of the aperture, speed and ISO.

Thank you.  You definitely need a city (or an active lava flow) to make night recording worth while.
2018-8-31
Use props
Ingashaba
lvl.4
Flight distance : 325108 ft
Netherlands

Verry verry nice !
2018-8-31
Use props
Fraggboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-8-31 13:26
Thank you.  You definitely need a city (or an active lava flow) to make night recording worth while.

I know, right?  Living in a rural area doesn't play nice.. :/
2018-8-31
Use props
Sayhelloforme
Captain
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Beautiful night time video.
2018-8-31
Use props
fans109a6d4e
lvl.1
United States

Can you you please tell me the settings you are using and how to cache videos to the app ? I just got the pro 2 and the videos will not cache to my phone
2018-8-31
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

fans109a6d4e Posted at 2018-8-31 16:55
Can you you please tell me the settings you are using and how to cache videos to the app ? I just got the pro 2 and the videos will not cache to my phone

This was recorded in 4K (full FOV) @ 24 fps, default camera settings in full auto exposure mode.

I always pull the memory card & transfer videos directly to my computer.  The lower resolution video is automatically cached to your device while flying with the Go app.  I believe you can copy the high resolution video to your device through the editor feature of the app while connected to the aircraft, however, the full resolution files are extremely large & transferring in this manner takes a long, long, time.
2018-8-31
Use props
fans109a6d4e
lvl.1
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-8-31 20:27
This was recorded in 4K (full FOV) @ 24 fps, default camera settings in full auto exposure mode.

I always pull the memory card & transfer videos directly to my computer.  The lower resolution video is automatically cached to your device while flying with the Go app.  I believe you can copy the high resolution video to your device through the editor feature of the app while connected to the aircraft, however, the full resolution files are extremely large & transferring in this manner takes a long, long, time.

Thanks! I also think the maximum cache is 5.4 GB then you have to delete it to get the next video. Sometimes is good to use the DJI free auto create that's why i like to cache it.
Which program do you use for editing ?
2018-8-31
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
  • >>>

fans109a6d4e Posted at 2018-8-31 20:32
Thanks! I also think the maximum cache is 5.4 GB then you have to delete it to get the next video. Sometimes is good to use the DJI free auto create that's why i like to cache it.
Which program do you use for editing ?

You can set the desired cache size in the Go app.  For regular HD I just use Windows Movie Maker.  It is easy to use & renders quickly (~20 minutes to render a 16-17 minute video). Unfortunately WMM supports 1080 max.  For 4K I am using PowerDirector.  It offers many more features than WMM, but it has a steeper learning curve.  I am still learning my way around the program.  Also, rendering a 17 minute 4K video takes 2-3 hours on my Core i7 laptop!  
2018-8-31
Use props
rikk08
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

Which iso? I'm assuming it was shot in f2.8...quality looks impressive, thanks for sharing!
2018-9-1
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules