Spark flyaway, end up at Police HQ. Now I can reproduce flyaway
2419 30 2018-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
polish_pat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3483304 ft
Canada

I'll try to keep things as objective as possible with a data-centric post. Everybody that experienced a flyaway knows the emotions we went through but I was able to recover mine and had an opportunity to help prevent future problems. I will open a case as soon as i'm done here but I strongly believe in community effort and anyone is welcome to pitch in.
The spark is fully updated to the latest firmware. Unlike some other similar events, this was not right after a firmware update, my spark was updated initially when unboxing it but nothing since. I use the RC that came in the Fly More Combo, and the phone is a Note 8 for the first few days up to the first fly away and starting the 28th it was a Note 9. Its connected using an OTG, a quality one, specifically the one they give with the phone to transfer the data from the old to new device.

My spark was 10 days old when the first major problem happened and almost lost it. In that 10 days I flew it many times a day going further and further and higher to understand its behavior/misbahavior and the limits of when my trust should end. I also fully understand the importance of the sensor on the spark and how a clean takeoff can affect the rest of the flight, and so I never let the device flyaway until it has a solid lock on 8-12 satellites, but in more cases than none, that number is well above that. I also try to take off a few dozen feet and recalibrate the homepoint to have a precise landing. By day 10, it had flown for 12 hours and 150km, at every time of day or night, in calm, breezy and windy conditions, and never lost control or never doubted its ability to come back. Until the 3rd flight on Aug. 23rd

Aug 23 - This was an evening I wanted to show my friends the drone, how it works, the smart return to home and the view of a sunset from way up there. I had 3 full batteries, the weather was great and I had no intention of pushing the drone. The first 2 flights were great, and on the 3rd one, when my battery hit low, I set RTH at 9m19s and thats when it got out of hand.  This was a very similar flight as the first 2, I took more or less the same path, same altitude, same speed as the others. This time, the drone went in the opposite direction...i could see it clearely because of the red LEDs in front and Green in back, it was facing me, but flying sideways and away from me. On my screen, it wasn't moving, then a few seconds later, it disappeared from its last position and reappeared a few hundred feet to the left, still facing me. Then it froze again only to reappear another few hundred feet even further to the left. At that point it was landing, and when it got below my line of sight, I lost all connection, took the car and drove to the point on the map. When I got there I had no reconnect so I went into "Find My Drone" and thankfully it pulled up a feed on my screen, I then turned on the emergency light beacon and saw for a brief few seconds the red lights flash and illuminate some concrete surface it had landed on. Unfortunately the apps maps sucks and the resolution never got good enough to determine where it was, but I copied the GPS coordinated into google maps and was able to confirm what I saw in those last few seconds before the battery died.

It was already close to 11pm and the lights in the house were off so I didnt want to tresspass, and there was no rain in sight for the next week so I decided to come back the next day. When I came back, the lady said she found the drone in the morning and called the police, they came and took it away, she didnt take down any reference number and said the drone would be sent for destruction. This was a friday, all administration was closed and I was able to recover the drone in the Police HQ evidence room after managing to call every police station I could until I finally got a hold of the officer that got the call. FYI the cops were very nice, they were helpful and if anything, they were more curious than furious, none of them even questioned the reason why I was flying after dark.

It's clear something started to go wrong around 9m20 into the flight. Also the flight log doesn't give the same angle as this video I took of the flight as found in the app. You'll understand when you get to the part I say it disappears from one point and appears at another.

Flight Log 8-23: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/WA7RT3FDSL1HSS03DIOV/

Aug 28 - Last night I took the drone out for a test flight and see if the problem would come back. This time the problem started only after the RTH was initiated and the Precision Landing adjustments were started. As clearely show at 4m54s in the log below, the drone started to drift away when it was already above the home point and descending. I had to cancel the RTH or it would have hit a tree or a house at some point. Then I took it further out to try another RTH and the exact same thing happened as shown at 6m27s. As soon as the precision landing kicks in it drifts away. Unlike the previous day where I almost lost the drone, this time there didnt seem to be errors flooding the flight log.

Flight Log 8-28: http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/D6OQ90WB8IIF8PH2TF5U/#

To be continued...

map

map

drone

drone
2018-8-29
Use props
polish_pat
lvl.2
Canada

Case number created: CAS-2187380-P5J3D0
2018-8-29
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

Hi polish_pat,

Come on, man, you can do better!

- Flying in airspace class C too high (airport control zone, you should be below 50m, you have been up 150m)
- Ignoring compass error right at 30 sec after takeoff at Aug, 23rd
- Ignoring high windspeed warning (at 1m13s and more)
- Flying above populated areas: forbidden
- Flying at night time: forbidden
- therefore flying out of VLOS: even more illegal
- ignoring everybody's privacy

You were VERY lucky the police officers had no idea about the drone flying rules in Canada!

Please, stick by the rules:
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviation/drone-safety/flying-drone-safely-legally.html#flying

Oh, and thank you very much for showing your friends how safe drone flying is done

Sorry mate, but you deserved it.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-8-30
Use props
polish_pat
lvl.2
Canada

Hey kiddo, instead of playing police when you should use that brain for something else than being a D with somebody that has spend time documenting a problem a bunch of others have lost a drone over.

Mind your own business especially when you need to get your reality in check unless you are willing to spend 1/4 of the time you took being a drone nazi actually looking at a way to be constructive.

1- Even if I broke all the laws, violated all the air space, and risked a million peoples lives, this has NOTHING to do with a malfunction.

2- If I had to stop immediately at every warning that happens to show up on screen for a fraction of a second without really being alarming than the damn drone would never lift off. Those warning are just that, warnings, they could persist and be something to consider, or mean nothing and just be a glitch/interference/temporary event. Compass errors, high velocity wind, atti mode, those show up on a regular basis, and most of the time disappear as fast as they appeared. On that particular evening, there was no wind, and up there maybe there was some, but nothing considered as "high velocity". I've flown in conditions where the wind was picking up because a thunder storm was closing in and the drone warned me non stop and still adjusted itself for a stable flight. These things are supposed to take the normal weather everybody has flown in, and its up to you to judge if it becomes a problem.

3- I never flew in any restricted airspace. It seems to me you either live in red neck alley where there are no population centers or you're stretching anything you see on the screen to throw back at me or you dont even have a drone, or dont use it properly. Even 5km away from any restricted zone that warning shows up. Again, just like the wind warning, its a warning....its there because its telling you to take into consideration your proximity to the airspace. In case you actually dont have a drone, you cant fly into those zones, you cant takeoff when in such zone, you cannot do anything that will end up in those restricted zones.

4- Warning: a statement or event that indicates a possible or impending danger, problem, or other unpleasant situation. cautionary advice. advance notice of something.

5- There is nothing illegal about flying in populated areas. 30m away from the public means away from people, in parks, in publics places, not inside their houses. There is no privacy concerns or violations unless you are flying on somebodys property in a way you are intruding into their private life, such as hovering close to their windows and filming inside. Nobody owns the airspace above their house, nobody can enforce it, and unless you are being unreasonnable and purposely flying above a persons property to intrude, harass or film, no law enforcement will bother responding.

Good bye.
2018-8-30
Use props
BrandonW77
lvl.3

Well that escalated quickly.  Personally, and I'm not taking sides here, if I've learned anything from these forums it's that flyaways often coincide with compass warnings, ATTI mode warnings, and/or high wind warnings.  I rarely see these warnings (if you're seeing them regularly as you claim I suspect there is a bigger issue at play) but when I do see them I land the Spark immediately before it gets caught in a flyaway situation.  I also rarely use RTH because after reading all these flyaway reports I don't have confidence in letting the drone take control of itself, I want it under my control at all times.  Just my $0.02 USD, but if you value your drone I'd recommend heeding those three particular warnings and read up about how high winds can trigger ATTI mode which can then result in the wind causing the drone to drift away.

Happy flying.  
2018-8-30
Use props
CheckYourSix
lvl.2

The owner of this drone is 100% correct. The issue was that the DJI Go app is voted one if the worst apps in either play store. With way more 1 stars then 5. DJI knows full well what they're doing. Their software sucks and so does their customer service. Regardless of when he flew, this bird and countless of others are ticking time bombs. If someone got hurt from one, do you think for a minute that DJI would step up to the plate and take responsibility? Yeah right. DJI is in it for one thing and one thing only. I'm sorry to hear about your incident. Learn from it and don't ever give DJI another penny.
2018-8-30
Use props
polish_pat
lvl.2

CheckYourSix Posted at 2018-8-30 21:59
The owner of this drone is 100% correct. The issue was that the DJI Go app is voted one if the worst apps in either play store. With way more 1 stars then 5. DJI knows full well what they're doing. Their software sucks and so does their customer service. Regardless of when he flew, this bird and countless of others are ticking time bombs. If someone got hurt from one, do you think for a minute that DJI would step up to the plate and take responsibility? Yeah right. DJI is in it for one thing and one thing only. I'm sorry to hear about your incident. Learn from it and don't ever give DJI another penny.

Well that escalated even quicker!

With that being said judging by the passion you are writing with I can pretty much guess your experience with your drone...painful.

And don't get me wrong I'm sure my mood would have been very different if I would have lost my spark but on the other hand I have to take a step back and look at this technology as it is now; very early

There's a reason why DJI are the only company worth talking about in the Drone business at least the one that makes products for consumers and prosumers. There are many big companies like GoPro, Parrot and Google and Autel only to name a few that have either failed abandoned or are currently struggling, and as far as the consumer is concerned less competition is not good it does not drive innovation nor does it push your company to do anything more then they should to keep their business profitable and I'm sure many can debate dji's tactics when it comes to intellectual property but ironically it's the first Chinese company that suing others for stealing their technology and not stealing others technology.

So if you like drones you have two choices buy a failing product from a failing company or wait until a solid competition establishes itself but until then I understand how it feels when things seems so easy to prevent I'm DJI side and on the other I can try and participate in order to help them make their products better because I am not buying a parrot drone as that company will soon no longer offer any customer service as they are currently burning through their money faster then Donald Trump is burning through obstructions of Justice
2018-8-30
Use props
polish_pat
lvl.2
Canada

Now this is how the data should be available. Same flight, much better understanding of fatal errors
See Notification tab, HD Flight Player

https://app.airdata.com/share/HOzBnq
2018-9-5
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
Flight distance : 300932 ft
United States

polish_pat Posted at 2018-9-5 22:57
Now this is how the data should be available. Same flight, much better understanding of fatal errors
See Notification tab, HD Flight Player

>>> If I had to stop immediately at every warning that happens to show up on screen for a fraction of a second without really being alarming than the damn drone would never lift off. Those warning are just that, warnings, they could persist and be something to consider, or mean nothing and just be a glitch/interference/temporary event. Compass errors, high velocity wind, atti mode, those show up on a regular basis...

A compass error means land now. A high wind warning means that you are at risk for a number of well documented problems (including yaw errors), and certainly does not mean to go higher where the wind will almost always be yet stronger. There are good apps for checking wind speed at altitude. It can be calm on the ground, but very different at 300 feet.

I've had one compass error - I landed and re-calibrated. Never had a high-wind warning. I don't seem to have the problems you have on a regular basis.
2018-9-6
Use props
polish_pat
lvl.2
Canada

Well, DJI seems to agree with my assessment. The mainboard was flagged as faulty. The drone has been fixed or replaced and is being sent back. All repairs under warranty obviously.

As for the compass errors, as per DJI's advise, compass should not be messed with unless it is asked by the app. Compass errors doesn't mean the drone's compass need adjustment...if you're too close to a metallic structure, as a car, you will have a compass error. If you recalibrate the compass at that time, there's a good chance you'll throw the compass off by forcing it to recalibrate with the error.  People should read and understand how the drone works and not spread falsehoods to other forum users. The documentation that comes with the drone is pretty substantial for a good reason.
2018-9-13
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

Wolferl Posted at 2018-8-30 00:17
Hi polish_pat,

Come on, man, you can do better!

LOL, I've broken every single drone rule. Especially because I live in toronto, the whole city is a class C fly zone, which means I would never be able to fly.
2018-9-13
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
United States

polish_pat Posted at 2018-9-13 16:15
Well, DJI seems to agree with my assessment. The mainboard was flagged as faulty. The drone has been fixed or replaced and is being sent back. All repairs under warranty obviously.

As for the compass errors, as per DJI's advise, compass should not be messed with unless it is asked by the app. Compass errors doesn't mean the drone's compass need adjustment...if you're too close to a metallic structure, as a car, you will have a compass error. If you recalibrate the compass at that time, there's a good chance you'll throw the compass off by forcing it to recalibrate with the error.  People should read and understand how the drone works and not spread falsehoods to other forum users. The documentation that comes with the drone is pretty substantial for a good reason.

>> "..compass should not be messed with unless it is asked by the app...People should read and understand how the drone works and not spread falsehoods to other forum users. The documentation that comes with the drone is pretty substantial for a good reason."

No one in this thread told you to re-calibrate your compass nor did anyone spread any falsehoods. Hopefully you will read the "documentation that comes with the drone" more carefully than you read the posts on your thread.

Ignoring compass warnings, even if they were caused by an internal Spark malfunction, was not smart. You came close to losing the drone - if that happened warranty replacement would not have been so easy.

2018-9-13
Use props
polish_pat
lvl.2
Canada

marlowe Posted at 2018-9-13 17:47
>> "..compass should not be messed with unless it is asked by the app...People should read and understand how the drone works and not spread falsehoods to other forum users. The documentation that comes with the drone is pretty substantial for a good reason."

No one in this thread told you to re-calibrate your compass nor did anyone spread any falsehoods. Hopefully you will read the "documentation that comes with the drone" more carefully than you read the posts on your thread.

Coming from the guy that "had one compass error and landed to recalibrate it"

Congrats mr champion
2018-9-13
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
United States

polish_pat Posted at 2018-9-13 18:37
Coming from the guy that "had one compass error and landed to recalibrate it"

Congrats mr champion

My spark gave compass error warnings while in flight (as did yours) in a forest preserve and was rotating on its own - a sure sign of a the need for a compass cal. I doubt you would know that.

The cause of this was that the drone had been sitting next to a fairly large magnet in the back seat of my car (my mistake).

Your response to me was as ludicrous as your response to the DJI app warnings. When I saw the warning I landed and figured out the problem. On the other hand you just kept going up.
2018-9-13
Use props
polish_pat
lvl.2
Canada

marlowe Posted at 2018-9-13 19:15
My spark gave compass error warnings while in flight (as did yours) in a forest preserve and was rotating on its own - a sure sign of a the need for a compass cal. I doubt you would know that.

The cause of this was that the drone had been sitting next to a fairly large magnet in the back seat of my car (my mistake).

Nice try with your magnet story because its total BS. And by the way, because im sure youd know that, the spark's compass, it's a magnetometer, the same found on any smartphone. They aren't active or taking any readings while the spark is off. So don't try to explain yourself, if your spark had enough damage from your "big car magnet" the compass would have been the least of your problems.

Go fly a kite, that's more in your field of capabilities
2018-9-13
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
United States

polish_pat Posted at 2018-9-13 20:09
Nice try with your magnet story because its total BS. And by the way, because im sure youd know that, the spark's compass, it's a magnetometer, the same found on any smartphone. They aren't active or taking any readings while the spark is off. So don't try to explain yourself, if your spark had enough damage from your "big car magnet" the compass would have been the least of your problems.

>> Go fly a kite, that's more in your field of capabilities

While I do know when (and where) to calibrate the compass, I must admit I've yet to achieve your level of brilliance. Some day maybe when I am as smart as you I'll also have to pick up my Spark at the local Police HQ.

>> and by the way, because im sure youd know that, the spark's compass, it's  a magnetometer, the same found on any smartphone. They aren't active or  taking any readings while the spark is off.

What you are implying here is wrong. Ferromagnetic parts in Spark (like screws) could become slightly magnetized (whether or not the Spark is turned on) possibly affecting the compass. Sometimes DJI drones may need to be degaussed. In any case I landed (instead of going up),  re-calibrated and the problem went away.

I did not say anything about a "big car magnet" - you continue to not read carefully. The magnet was not part of the car. It was a strong magnet internal to a Hoodivision that was on top of the Spark in the back seat, and also may have been close to the Spark when it was turned on.

The magnet discussion of course is all beside the point. I had a Compass warning and landed ASAP, regardless of cause. You kept going and almost lost your drone, and now you are going after people who tell you that what you did was not so smart.

2018-9-13
Use props
Wolferl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23793 ft
Austria

marlowe Posted at 2018-9-13 21:09
>> Go fly a kite, that's more in your field of capabilities

While I do know when (and where) to calibrate the compass, I must admit I've yet to achieve your level of brilliance. Some day maybe when I am as smart as you I'll also have to pick up my Spark at the local Police HQ.

Hi Marlowe,

Forget about polish_pat. That guy has no clue whatsoever. He demonstrated that with almost every post since thread start. He's the guy who can't even fly a kite safely.

Cheers,
Wolferl
2018-9-17
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

polish_pat Posted at 2018-9-13 20:09

thank you for your observations and im glad you recovered your drone and got the mainboard warrantied.  every bit of help to track down where fly aways occur is good in helping dji fix what goes wrong.   i dont think you were flying in a manner i would call dangerous or anything either.  the way i fly, i imagine the people on this side of the forums would have a heart attack.  

join the mavic side of the forums, lot less drone rule nazis on mavic side of the dji forums just cool people...
2018-9-18
Use props
polish_pat
lvl.2
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-18 00:50
thank you for your observations and im glad you recovered your drone and got the mainboard warrantied.  every bit of help to track down where fly aways occur is good in helping dji fix what goes wrong.   i dont think you were flying in a manner i would call dangerous or anything either.  the way i fly, i imagine the people on this side of the forums would have a heart attack.  

join the mavic side of the forums, lot less drone rule nazis on mavic side of the dji forums just cool people...

I truly appreciate the invite!
I was starting to think that even Dji forums weren't shaded from the basic internet trolls or the ones that try to stick it up to you for trying to help the community grow. Because we all  know its thanks to those like the 2 fruit loops up there with their By-the-Book flying (which one shouldn't even have the rights to participate in such conversations with his 2300 flight distance with his tello but a lvl4 on forums) that a new technology will grow out of its problems and towards something better we can all benefit from.

I'm getting it back on Friday and am seriously considering geting something bigger, Mavic 2.

But regardless, i'll leave these imbeciles bash around themselves with their less than 1/2 combined flight time than anybody else with sense that posted here
2018-9-18
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

polish_pat Posted at 2018-9-18 03:02
I truly appreciate the invite!
I was starting to think that even Dji forums weren't shaded from the basic internet trolls or the ones that try to stick it up to you for trying to help the community grow. Because we all  know its thanks to those like the 2 fruit loops up there with their By-the-Book flying (which one shouldn't even have the rights to participate in such conversations with his 2300 flight distance with his tello but a lvl4 on forums) that a new technology will grow out of its problems and towards something better we can all benefit from.

i dont really care how far people fly or what level they are, some people are "bootlickers"  and are 100% by the books type..  weirdly seems a lot of them exist more on spark side... which i find a bit ironic.
2018-9-18
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-18 08:46
i dont really care how far people fly or what level they are, some people are "bootlickers"  and are 100% by the books type..  weirdly seems a lot of them exist more on spark side... which i find a bit ironic.

>> People should read and understand how the drone works and not spread falsehoods to other forum users…. Because we all  know its thanks to those like the 2 fruit loops up there with their By-the-Book flying…i'll leave these imbeciles bash around themselves...

polish_pat - You're calling me an imbecile while you have an abvious reading comprehension problem. I never said anything about by-the-book flying. I only said that going higher and farther after getting a compass error (or repeated high wind warnings) is not a good idea - you greatly increase the chance of losing your AC if anything goes wrong. You think that is false? It should be common sense.

You responded that I was spreading falsehoods. Get a grip and get over yourself and try to actually read the posts if you can.

BTW - you have no idea how much flight time I have (and on what type of ACs). Based on your extraordinarily immature comments, my guess is that I was flying RC decades before you were born. In any case, flying 1000 km isn't going to make you any smarter.

The only boot-licking going on here is HereForThe Beer licking your boots.

2018-9-18
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

marlowe Posted at 2018-9-18 20:25
>> People should read and understand how the drone works and not spread falsehoods to other forum users…. Because we all  know its thanks to those like the 2 fruit loops up there with their By-the-Book flying…i'll leave these imbeciles bash around themselves...

polish_pat - You're calling me an imbecile while you have an abvious reading comprehension problem. I never said anything about by-the-book flying. I only said that going higher and farther after getting a compass error (or repeated high wind warnings) is not a good idea - you greatly increase the chance of losing your AC if anything goes wrong. You think that is false? It should be common sense.

i know how drones work, and im sure polish_pat does to some degree as well, given his flight distances recorded, he knows his aircraft well enough.  so im not going to assume he doesnt know jack sh*t.   however if you read what he posted... it was outside of his primary control, and was experiencing a fly away event.  the spark is inherently flawed at its core, and people like him with his log files and relying what he witnessed happen that can improve both software side for the drone to behave better as well as future hardware revisions to fix this sadly, common issue.    i been through 2 sparks, only drone i had to ever get replaced.

i am absolutely upset with people that cant let others fly an inch outside of the rules.. not everyone that does something beyond the rules is doing something dangerous, canadian rules are especially oppressive with drones.. too much so, and american rules...the FAA cant make their minds up.  just look at latest changes.. removed 400 foot AGL limit from recreational use..
2018-9-19
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-19 03:58
i know how drones work, and im sure polish_pat does to some degree as well, given his flight distances recorded, he knows his aircraft well enough.  so im not going to assume he doesnt know jack sh*t.   however if you read what he posted... it was outside of his primary control, and was experiencing a fly away event.  the spark is inherently flawed at its core, and people like him with his log files and relying what he witnessed happen that can improve both software side for the drone to behave better as well as future hardware revisions to fix this sadly, common issue.    i been through 2 sparks, only drone i had to ever get replaced.

i am absolutely upset with people that cant let others fly an inch outside of the rules.. not everyone that does something beyond the rules is doing something dangerous, canadian rules are especially oppressive with drones.. too much so, and american rules...the FAA cant make their minds up.  just look at latest changes.. removed 400 foot AGL limit from recreational use..

>> the spark is inherently flawed at its core...i am absolutely upset with people that cant let others fly an inch outside of the rules.. not everyone that does something beyond the rules is doing something dangerous...FAA removed 400 foot AGL limit from recreational use..

Put down the beer and actually read what I said. I never said anything about "rules" or "dangerous." I did say something about ignoring a couple of warnings that led him to lose his AC (and apparently you too). The "flaws" in Spark  (primarily lack of redundancy) are why ignoring the warnings is not smart.

BTW FAA did not "remove" any AGL limit. 400 feet was always an advisory.
2018-9-19
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

marlowe Posted at 2018-9-19 04:48
>> the spark is inherently flawed at its core...i am absolutely upset with people that cant let others fly an inch outside of the rules.. not everyone that does something beyond the rules is doing something dangerous...FAA removed 400 foot AGL limit from recreational use..

Put down the beer and actually read what I said. I never said anything about "rules" or "dangerous." I did say something about ignoring a couple of warnings that led him to lose his AC (and apparently you too). The "flaws" in Spark  (primarily lack of redundancy) are why ignoring the warnings is not smart.

while you should listen to on screen warnings or atleast make note of the so ill agree there however not every on screen warning is doom or gloom.. i flown over a mile with critical battery on both my mavic pro and mavic air, and i flown in 20mph winds with my spark even.  if all systems on board are working well, it shouldn't behave unexpectedly and should continue on while complaining and telling you to be careful..

my main point is he didnt crash, did not damage property, and thus,he shouldn't get blamed or have fingers pointed at him calling him out f it was beyond his control...  i had a spark fly away as well under similar circumstances luckily for me it started listening to my controller again and i was able to recover it..   it is scary, especially when your still connected to the aircraft but it isnt responding to you at all and disconnects and reconnects for seemingly no reason may get intermittent control back over the aircraft.   the best you can do is decide if you wanna attempt reducing the altitude and having it crash right away and potentially damage aircraft, break a window or something from not going low enough and have to put in for a refresh and deal with potential damages... or raising the altitude if you can regain any control and track it down and hope it lands safely on its own in a backyard, a field or something easily accessible.. if it has a weak battery it shouldn't go too far and chances are it will more then likely land somewhere relatively safe.    for me if i didn't have a clear shot to drag it into the dirt or some bushes..and my controls are intermittently disconnecting,  im going to raise the altitude above the trees so doesn't crash into someone's face or car at 30mph and try to track it..

2018-9-19
Use props
polish_pat
lvl.2
Canada

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-19 03:58
i know how drones work, and im sure polish_pat does to some degree as well, given his flight distances recorded, he knows his aircraft well enough.  so im not going to assume he doesnt know jack sh*t.   however if you read what he posted... it was outside of his primary control, and was experiencing a fly away event.  the spark is inherently flawed at its core, and people like him with his log files and relying what he witnessed happen that can improve both software side for the drone to behave better as well as future hardware revisions to fix this sadly, common issue.    i been through 2 sparks, only drone i had to ever get replaced.

I appreciate somebody with the little bit of logic to make an effort to stick up for someone. Im not saying thanks for bashing but thanks for restating the facts so trolls can sit down.

I don't know why people feel compelled to be enforcers on public forums other than too much time to kill and/or enjoys being d i c k s for no reason...because i'm sure if they are old enough, they always respected the speed limit to the dot, stoped at signs for a full 2 seconds and never parked with hazrds for a quick stop.....

I stated from the biginning i intended in making this a constructive and comprehensive thread because i know not many will go into as much detail with data points, and do this with transparency while DJI are fixing it and have the link to this. I do this for one reason only, i enjoy technology, new ones even more, and enjoy being in at the early stages and participating, so this droning hobby, im new at it, but so is the consumer drone world. I also have over a decade in working as a technical professional in the computer/electronic industry and know how little people understand how much better everything would be if people were just a little more observant and "TRY" to remember the small details that they might not think relevant but often are. People don't care for the infinite work it takes to make a little gadget, software, electrical system, and keep it running smoothly and how many millions of lines of coding go into simple things like lifting off and setting a homepoint. They just want it to work.

With that in mind, here what I think of rules. They are usually reasonnable, but they have to include EVERYONE at the same level. From a 12yo kid that has no value of money for expensive stuff to the 65yo man that wants to revisit his flying days in WW2 or the super tech geeks that just get the grip on new stuff and keep wanting bigger, faster, stronger because they need more tech to keep them happy. I bought a tello and within 3 days of getting it i was using command line with the sdk to automate its flight. Rules are meant to eliminate risk for an extremely broad bracket of people and for an extremely large set of parameters that are often way too extreme and are rectified along the way, and those that prove they are worthy can apply for permissions, or lisences.

If your computer or phone tells you "an app crashed", you wont stop using it, you ignore it...but if it starts happening more often, and for a persistent time, thats when you might move to do something. Why would this drone be any different? Patterns are the key, patterns are the reason why people who had their spark fly away saw their google search come back with more results than expected and then decided to add their story. The truth is, there is so much technology that goes into this little device, many of them also in their early stages, and with a device that has so much potential that if you undertood anything you'd know quadcopter drones, not UAV planes, or helicopters, but specifically 4 propeller and more aircraft will change the world on such a large scale, those that have the vision are already using them to send drugs into jails, assassinate politicians, use miniature versions in combat to move inside of buildings to scout the area, ship freaking packages you've ordered online 30 minutes ago.....

I know this post is already too much, but I never asked for confrontation and have past the trolling period years ago. I understand the critical value of an active, proactive and eager comminity to help accelerate and improve tech, and for the spark, we very much need it or things can also trun for the worse if people start having more and more flyaways and they start causing physical harm to anything around...all it takes is 1 event to punish an entire planet. The task for DJI is huge. I really respect and admire what they are doing no matter how much of patent trolls they really are to squash competition. But the fact is, even other companies not sent to the grave by DJI are dying on their own. When you create a device with so much moving parts that constantly changes with the environment they are in, the intelligence of the pilot, and so many other factors, and add the many coding errors, early tech limitations, and need to create an AI that can balance all of that in real time, and then you have to put that in a consumer market that is in majority people that "just want it to work", you end up with devices like the Spark. Fantastic at 95% of what people want and also packs technologies other drones dont come close to giving for that pricepoint, it has unfortunately very dark flaws, just ask GoPro how much money one can have and a reputation for also being a revolutionary force in a parrallel world, but how fast they burned down to the ground when they were tired of being just 1/2 of a drone and tried to be the full thing....its the AI. Thats the only reason why so much people cry fowl and blame DJI or dont agree with them when they lose it and the logs clearely show pilot error. The AI is taken from high end drones meant for prosumers and highly professional industry needs, then dumbed down to esentially be a supervisor for everything some dude just got his first drone and got home without reading anything, took off and crashed it only to take it back to the store for a refund because of "defective product".
The consumer market has no pitty, no patience and no judgement, and they push technology companies so far into the limits that sometimes things go bad...very bad, and unless you have billions in the bank and other products in other segments, a company will not survive. Ask samsung how much they agree with me, and how much money they lost... they did a great job resolving it, in my view at least with their pocket bombs..i really regret having to send back my blue Note 7 ......2 times. Now ask parrot how they are doing when they never had much of a scandal, they just make drones that cost like a mavic but barely compete with a spark.

So @marlowe when i said something in the lines of "people posting dumb advise about calibration" it wasnt a jab at you, you just happened to post about it and it reminded me how many times i read a thread where the go-to solution is always to recalibrate everything for any error when that will almost certainly fire back. I'm sorry for whatever jab you thought was towards you, now please either squash it, i value the participation of anybody with good intensions and not the actual quality of the advise which is subject to personal exprience, whether from 3h or 30 000h.
2018-9-21
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

polish_pat Posted at 2018-9-21 17:41
I appreciate somebody with the little bit of logic to make an effort to stick up for someone. Im not saying thanks for bashing but thanks for restating the facts so trolls can sit down.

I don't know why people feel compelled to be enforcers on public forums other than too much time to kill and/or enjoys being d i c k s for no reason...because i'm sure if they are old enough, they always respected the speed limit to the dot, stoped at signs for a full 2 seconds and never parked with hazrds for a quick stop.....

no problem, and all good points.  it is very frustrating experience on here and online in general when you had an issue and people think they know better like they were there with you. been there and done that.

the way i see the spark is...it wasnt ready.   im sure dji right now could make a spark 2.0 that fixes many if not all the fundamental flaws of the spark 1st gen. but nothing pushing them plus the mavic air is kind of a spark 2.0/spark pro that fixes alot of the issues without being much larger...  so maybe they really cant do much at the moment without stepping on their own toes.  

2018-9-21
Use props
polish_pat
lvl.2
Canada

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-21 19:03
no problem, and all good points.  it is very frustrating experience on here and online in general when you had an issue and people think they know better like they were there with you. been there and done that.

Absolutely. Unless there is profit in releasing V2...enough that would outweigh the cost by a good margin.

Also forgot to say it but without people pushing the boundries, breaking the rules, or violating laws, if done with judgement, this stuff just benefits everyone at the end...many laws were reverted because they were created based on assumptions, such as WiFi signal and power increase over the FCCs regulations

I've had the spark for 11 days of flight time total, i signed up for a gold airdata plan, have 4 batteries and have the accidental insurance and i'm really fighting my will to buy a Mavic 2 or something that gives less control to the AI. The phantom has the option to turn off many functions like GPS but still wont keep the engines on if it flips over, which is highly unlikely, but i could just get the next bigger drone and essentially "jailbreak" the spark to allow me to modify both firmware and app and keep DJi from locking it. Im aware that warranty will be done and have no issue.
I'm also trying to build one like many youtubers race with in FPV...i already know my way around a raspberry pi so thats the main challenge.
2018-9-21
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

this topic is why I love forums....  
2018-9-21
Use props
polish_pat
lvl.2
Canada

Alright well, i took a "big risk" just now and defied common sense, most people would say i'm looking for trouble, id agree and say this time i was and i rest my case about all of the above regarding my conclusion of false warnings and errors resulting in flyaway.

Just took this video of the spark, sure its not at 30ft up, but the trees at my level are barely keeping their branches, the weather could not have been more ideal to show how even in extreme conditions, this should not be a problem costing a loss. The static you hear, thats the wind. Sorry for the granular video, i zoomed in with low light and it didnt come out as intended

I also share my flight with all the data that points to a perfect flight with 0 warnings for anything, not even the tornado sprouting wind.

Flight Data: https://app.airdata.com/share/ghRewb

And props to DJI for making tech like this possible on their most basic drone...the poor little guy was really having a hard time and yet, relatively stable. Goes to show that AI isnt perfect and tends to overreact or make harsh decisions that mess up some peoples day...the good news is AI can be worked on and patched via software...the bad news, not enough people complain and provide solid data to create a wakeup call at DJIs R&D lab which receives 1/3 of the companys profits in funding...very few companies give that much in % back into R&D, Samsung being the champion

now

now
2018-9-21
Use props
marlowe
lvl.4
United States

polish_pat Posted at 2018-9-21 17:41

I don't know why people feel compelled to be enforcers on public forums other than too much time to kill and/or enjoys being d i c k s for no reason...because i'm sure if they are old enough, they always respected the speed limit to the dot, stoped at signs for a full 2 seconds and never parked with hazrds for a quick stop.....

>>>So @marlowe when i said something in the lines of "people posting dumb advise about calibration" it wasnt a jab at you, you just happened to post about it and it reminded me how many times i read a thread where the go-to solution is always to recalibrate everything for any error when that will almost certainly fire back. I'm sorry for whatever jab you thought was towards you, now please either squash it,..

No problem. I see you spent a lot of time writing your last post. I think it is helpful for people to also take some extra time to carefully read what the person you may be disagreeing with actually said. Good luck and Happy flying.
2018-9-23
Use props
polish_pat
lvl.2
Canada

marlowe Posted at 2018-9-23 16:12
>>>So @marlowe when i said something in the lines of "people posting dumb advise about calibration" it wasnt a jab at you, you just happened to post about it and it reminded me how many times i read a thread where the go-to solution is always to recalibrate everything for any error when that will almost certainly fire back. I'm sorry for whatever jab you thought was towards you, now please either squash it,..

No problem. I see you spent a lot of time writing your last post. I think it is helpful for people to also take some extra time to carefully read what the person you may be disagreeing with actually said. Good luck and Happy flying.

Appreciate it...and disagreement is the fuel of progress. If everyone always agreed, by definition it would mean everyone thinks the same thing. So unless we can make perfect products, that will never work out. I always welcome anyone willing to disagree because those usually mean well, and they took their time to participate, for the good or the bad, but they did.

@HereForTheBeer Spark 2, 3 and 4 as well. Being "only driving force" in the drome market, at least the most influencial by far, DJI have the reputation of an "efficient profit-driven" business model. In other words, they are sitting on multiple models already fitted with next-gen tech, but have to reason to release anything because their sales volume keeps growing with profit. So they would be their own competition...instead they wait for a new company, or a new model from an existing one, to announce a new drone and all the detail, then they tweak their next sitting duck to be slightly more attractive and undercut the cost of the other. Thats a brilliant strategy, if youre an investor. The outcome is 0 hype for the competition on their release day...and the million spent on building their drone is in the hole. It,s savage....and we as consumers lose the most if one controls price, timeline, new tech......i
2018-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules