Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Responds To Broken Mavic 2 Pro Gimbal And Camera: Glue Or No Glue?
3010 18 2018-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

2018-8-29
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Would it have been a better design if small screws were used? Probably, but it wasn't made that way. If an owner has one that separates then the fix is relatively simple. My question would be more in the realignment process. Would a DIY situation post warranty be able to correctly align the pieces.
2018-8-29
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Interesting video, wonder how many more cameras going to separate like that or did the guy really drop/crash the drone
2018-8-29
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

This very good statement has also been directly posted by DJI in this forum today. I do not want to engage in a debate whether the specific case was just a faulty unit (which can happen in any industrial production process) or if the case was actually staged by an interested side. Unfortunately nowadays everything is possible, happens frequently and can be very difficult to verify. But as said, we should not waste our time with speculations. What I want to say is the following: When normal people who are not familiar with mechanics and industrial processes hear about "glue", it is very understandable that they first think of a substance they use to repair a broken cup with or something the kids use to stick things together. The reality however is very different. There is an immense variety of industrial glues for all kind of purposes with outstanding features in terms of solidity and durability. Just one example, a very simple and frequently used glue in mechanics for metal I have in my garage. Once correctly applied, one will have to heat up the two metal metal parts that have been glued together to 300° Centigrade in order to become able to separate them again. And this is just a very basic example.
2018-8-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

miketmtpro Posted at 2018-8-29 11:07
Would it have been a better design if small screws were used? Probably, but it wasn't made that way. If an owner has one that separates then the fix is relatively simple. My question would be more in the realignment process. Would a DIY situation post warranty be able to correctly align the pieces.

I agree with you, they should have used small screws.
2018-8-29
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-8-29 11:30

No, especially small screws never could do what glue can do. See my post here above.
2018-8-29
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-8-29 11:13
Interesting video, wonder how many more cameras going to separate like that or did the guy really drop/crash the drone

Or a hard emergency landing.  Does anyone know if DJI has more then one factory that produces the Mavic 2 "s ?
2018-8-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-8-29 11:30

You have a Mavic Pro Camera stuck with the same glue, have you seen one reported case of Mavic Pro Camera coming apart since you have owned one, I have been around since Mavic Pro release and I haven’t seen one case. One in two years is pretty good considering this is dji’s biggest selling drone.
2018-8-29
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

There are some amazing adhesive products in circulation including glue that will bond cars together at the factory https://www.wsj.com/articles/sup ... -lighter-1410196062 The same principle of reducing weight and cost would apply to other products. I'm sure the early adhesive issues will be resolved by DJI if its a recurring theme.
2018-8-29
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

Bottom line is, better Quality Control is needed. It's a $1500 investment/toy after all.
2018-8-29
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-29 11:32
No, especially small screws never could do what glue can do. See my post here above.

I live in the desert where it's well over 100 degrees daily, glue would not hold well and I'd think the same would be true in a cold, moisture filled environment where glue come come apart. With using tiny but small screws the quadcopter would have more visible strength by placement of the small screws.

I'm sure DJI knows what they're doing, they've tested the Mavic 2 in harsh flying conditions and test results most likely yield good results. I'm only saying if it's glued then would the small screws be too labor intensive and costly, which is why they went with the glue?
2018-8-29
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-8-29 12:50
I live in the desert where it's well over 100 degrees daily, glue would not hold well and I'd think the same would be true in a cold, moisture filled environment where glue come come apart. With using tiny but small screws the quadcopter would have more visible strength by placement of the small screws.

I'm sure DJI knows what they're doing, they've tested the Mavic 2 in harsh flying conditions and test results most likely yield good results. I'm only saying if it's glued then would the small screws be too labor intensive and costly, which is why they went with the glue?

Production costs certainly are a factor too, but trust me that screws would just create an appearance of more solidity in that particular place. The truth is that they would themselves need to be glued in order to not get loose with all the vibrations and movements in a gimbal. I can only encourage to do some research on industrial glue, where it is applied and what the characteristics of the manifold types are. For our eyes and experience it is natural that screws look more solid. In the right size and in the right places they are more suitable for certain purposes. For other specific puposes they could never compete with glue, it always depends.
2018-8-29
Use props
miketmtpro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1883940 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-29 13:28
Production costs certainly are a factor too, but trust me that screws would just create an appearance of more solidity in that particular place. The truth is that they would themselves need to be glued in order to not get loose with all the vibrations and movements in a gimbal. I can only encourage to do some research on industrial glue, where it is applied and what the characteristics of the manifold types are. For our eyes and experience it is natural that screws look more solid. In the right size and in the right places they are more suitable for certain purposes. For other specific puposes they could never compete with glue, it always depends.

That's what loc tite is for. I still would have felt better had they used a couple small screws.  The point most are making about this is that the earliest of sold products had this problem. 1 or 100 it gets the same scrutiny
2018-8-29
Use props
RobWest
lvl.3
Flight distance : 589633 ft
France

Production costs certainly are a factor too, but trust me that screws would just create an appearance of more solidity in that particular place. The truth is that they would themselves need to be glued in order to not get loose with all the vibrations and movements in a gimbal. I can only encourage to do some research on industrial glue, where it is applied and what the characteristics of the manifold types are. For our eyes and experience it is natural that screws look more solid. In the right size and in the right places they are more suitable for certain purposes. For other specific puposes they could never compete with glue, it always depends.

Wachtberger - totally agree with you, I think the public impression of glue is that it is something you use with Airfix models. The entire Lotus Elise body tub - manufactured in aluminium - is glued together. For items that do not need to be separated after construction, glue is far superior to screws.
2018-8-30
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

RobWest Posted at 2018-8-30 14:40
Wachtberger - totally agree with you, I think the public impression of glue is that it is something you use with Airfix models. The entire Lotus Elise body tub - manufactured in aluminium - is glued together. For items that do not need to be separated after construction, glue is far superior to screws.

Thank you very much and I am happy now that at least one other person agrees. So far we are quite alone it appears... ;-)
2018-8-30
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-29 12:01
You have a Mavic Pro Camera stuck with the same glue, have you seen one reported case of Mavic Pro Camera coming apart since you have owned one, I have been around since Mavic Pro release and I haven’t seen one case. One in two years is pretty good considering this is dji’s biggest selling drone.

I have the Mavic Pro and so far so good with the gimbal construction and design. The only thing I will call out on the camera, is occasionally when the Mavic Pro begins flying, its camera or gimbal motor suddenly vibrates and this causes the picture to briefly shake, but it's only momentary for not more than a second, as it does however ruin the shot. I'd imagine most Mavic Pro owners witness this reaction, as it seems natural for the drone when this occurs, and this coincides when the drone is heating up as it starts to get going?
2018-8-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-8-30 15:15
I have the Mavic Pro and so far so good with the gimbal construction and design. The only thing I will call out on the camera, is occasionally when the Mavic Pro begins flying, its camera or gimbal motor suddenly vibrates and this causes the picture to briefly shake, but it's only momentary for not more than a second, as it does however ruin the shot. I'd imagine most Mavic Pro owners witness this reaction as it seems natural for the drone as this occurs and coincides with the drone heating up when it starts to get going?

I don’t ever remember having that shake problem with my Mavic Pro , it was a great craft when it came out and is probably a better craft now, I won’t be selling mine it owes me nothing so it can stay. ;+)...
2018-8-30
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>

Case in point Wachtberger, another good reference point and agreed as I said DJI likely tested both the small screws solution along with the implemented glue solution, and they know what they're doing. If it has to due with the characteristics of the manifold types for more suitable purposes than it would seem the glue wins out over the small screws substitute.   
2018-8-30
Use props
CheckYourSix
lvl.2

Dumb Americans, let's just glue it on. If someone complains, we'll just blame it on Hillary or have on of our made up trolls like DJI Cindy or DJI Natelie blame it pilot error. It's worked so far. We're DJI, we can do anything and say anything once we have their money.
2018-8-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules