Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Update! I'm sending it back.. New Mavic Pro - Cosmetic Damage on ...
3602 39 2018-8-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mardarethedog
Second Officer
Flight distance : 406604 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Update! I'm  sending it back. It flies okay and haven't noticed any gimbal issues  during flight. However the image quality seems to be terrible. Tested  out HLG at 10bit ISO 100 and getting lots of noise in shadows you can download the original uncompressed file from here https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... 9P/view?usp=sharing

So, DHL just delivered my Mavic Pro fly more combo. Everything looks  fantastic BUT after closely inspecting the camera and gimbal found  cosmetic damage on the gimbal assembly. (picture attached). I   definitely saw another poster (either here or on Mavicpilots' forum) with a  similar cosmetic damage. I wonder if DJI had to rework all the 18th of  July supposedly flawed gimbals and am a bit concerned about how  thoroughly the repair was made, if this was the case. Now I don’t care  about a minor cosmetic damage but this is not a cheap product and would  have expected a better QC from DJI.

EDIT! Someone in another forum suggested to try wipe off the scratches with something.  Did that with a cloth and while the schratches are still present they aren't as bad anymore.  

I still wonder if this is this just bad QC on DJI's part or the gimbal assembly was somehow damaged in trasit. Otherwise, after a quick flight test the gimbal performs as expected.                                               

Mavic Pro Cosmetic Damage

Mavic Pro Cosmetic Damage
2018-8-29
Use props
Kingram
First Officer
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Interesting anyone else notice this on their Mavic 2 Pro ?
2018-8-29
Use props
Fraggboy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

On my camera.  The scratches are not that deep, but they are noticeable.
2018-8-29
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Very interesting, it was reported in this forum today by another user already and when mine arrives I shall check on this too. Really does not look nice, but if the gimbal works well I might make an effort to overcome it. Alternative would be to send it back and probably wait long for a new one.
2018-8-29
Use props
mardarethedog
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Kingram Posted at 2018-8-29 11:53
Interesting anyone else notice this on their Mavic 2 Pro ?

This guy   Skip to at around 1:15. The scratches aren't  that deep though   
2018-8-29
Use props
mardarethedog
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-29 11:58
Very interesting, it was reported in this forum today by another user already and when mine arrives I shall check on this too. Really does not look nice, but if the gimbal works well I might make an effort to overcome it. Alternative would be to send it back and probably wait long for a new one.

Charging batteries and will test the unit out as soon as possible
2018-8-29
Use props
GaryNash
First Officer
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

Ill be carrying out scientific analysis when mine arrives.  You'd expect this on a drone you buy off ebay. Not on a brand new one costing £1300
2018-8-29
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

mardarethedog Posted at 2018-8-29 12:03

Great and please report back to us.
2018-8-29
Use props
Anthony566
First Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

I'm afraid  my OCD would not allow me to keep that ...

It would be on its way back for a replacement  unit.

What do we think caused the damage ??
2018-8-29
Use props
Fraggboy
Second Officer
United States

IMHO, the gimbal clamp and rough handling caused this.   Maybe they dropped the shipping container?!
2018-8-29
Use props
Mek
lvl.4
Flight distance : 992392 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hello, I'm using the new Mavic 2 from two days, everything fine after new update.
Before the gimbal in start up phase hits the camera.

Anyway about the damage, I'm from Italy and I can confirm you to have the same scratches not so deep but I have them, at first look they seemed glue! But they are scratches..
Also the Fly More Kit and Mavic Pro's packages were damaged...

Who knows if for DJI this matter?
2018-8-29
Use props
Kingram
First Officer
United States

And this sure won't help.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/fedex- ... eway-063022963.html
2018-8-29
Use props
Kingram
First Officer
United States

mardarethedog Posted at 2018-8-29 12:03

So no scratches out of the box from factory testing ?
2018-8-29
Use props
cicciopilota
Second Officer
Flight distance : 36624 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Tomorrow will arrive mine if have same I will write and immediately write to dji to send another new one , I work hard to buy this drone not cheaper so I want max quality, and serious answer.

2018-8-29
Use props
mardarethedog
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-29 12:10
Great and please report back to us.

Took a quick 1st flight and the gimbal works as expected. I really hope it's just a cosmetic thing..
2018-8-29
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

mardarethedog Posted at 2018-8-29 14:17
Took a quick 1st flight and the gimbal works as expected. I really hope it's just a cosmetic thing..

I cross my fingers for you and now you have the difficult decision whether you can live with the scratches or prefer to get it replaced. I believe the location of the scratches is normally not visible, only when you turn the gimbal quite far, right?
2018-8-29
Use props
Fraggboy
Second Officer
United States

That video of the FedEx driver is appalling!!  DJI, you need to forward that video onto your logistics team so they know about how your primary shipper takes care of your customer packages..
2018-8-29
Use props
Repulse
lvl.1
Flight distance : 68501 ft
United States

I just checked mine and it was much scratch free other than a minor scratch on one side. I think it was caused upon calibration of the gimbal at startup.

2018-8-29
Use props
Kingram
First Officer
United States

Are you guys checking for scratches  before and after startup ?
2018-8-29
Use props
marklyn59
First Officer
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

I hope when someone gets a believable explanation from DJI that it is posted here.
2018-8-29
Use props
mardarethedog
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-8-29 14:20
I cross my fingers for you and now you have the difficult decision whether you can live with the scratches or prefer to get it replaced. I believe the location of the scratches is normally not visible, only when you turn the gimbal quite far, right?

You have to rotate the gimbal assembly in its place to see the scratches. They're not visible otherwise.  
2018-8-29
Use props
Novadesigns
lvl.3

Mine had what at first looked like scratches, but was instead some sort of gummy adhesive. I was able to wipe it off with a soft, damp cloth. No scratches.
2018-8-29
Use props
mardarethedog
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Repulse Posted at 2018-8-29 14:29
I just checked mine and it was much scratch free other than a minor scratch on one side. I think it was caused upon calibration of the gimbal at startup.

[view_image]

the scratches are out of the box before turning on the unit
2018-8-29
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

mardarethedog Posted at 2018-8-29 14:46
You have to rotate the gimbal assembly in its place to see the scratches. They're not visible otherwise.

Thank you for the clarification.
2018-8-29
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Novadesigns Posted at 2018-8-29 14:47
Mine had what at first looked like scratches, but was instead some sort of gummy adhesive. I was able to wipe it off with a soft, damp cloth. No scratches.

Now that is interesting. Looking again at the picture above it might also be just that.
2018-8-29
Use props
mardarethedog
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Kingram Posted at 2018-8-29 14:43
Are you guys checking for scratches  before and after startup ?

before, right after unboxing
2018-8-29
Use props
Blellow
Captain
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

I will return immediately if I see scratches or shoddy craftsmanship.  Maybe a mavic 2 pro platnium is in my future.
2018-8-29
Use props
Fraggboy
Second Officer
United States

marklyn59 Posted at 2018-8-29 14:44
I hope when someone gets a believable explanation from DJI that it is posted here.

I doubt we will hear from them.  My thread about the prop “nib” breaking off during flight has no replies from them.

Silence speaks volumes!!
2018-8-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Sir, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. May I have the aircraft SN for better assistance? Also, is there any adhesive residue or wear marks on the gimbal cover and the bottom? You may refer to the below picture and confirm. We'll check the exact status and try our best to help you out.
X.PNG
2018-8-29
Use props
mardarethedog
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-8-29 18:37
Sir, we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. May I have the aircraft SN for better assistance? Also, is there any adhesive residue or wear marks on the gimbal cover and the bottom? You may refer to the below picture and confirm. We'll check the exact status and try our best to help you out.

Hey Susan,

Thanks for following up! It's appreciated. Although the scratches on my mavic's gimbal assembly are almost identical to the ones in the picture you posted, there's no visible glue residue  or any other wear  marks elsewhere.
The aircraft SN is  163DF7G001V1UZ
2018-8-29
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have some very minor scratches on my gimbal too. I'm pretty sure it happened due to the back of the gimbal crashing into the drone on startup (either before I unboxed it or when DJI tested it). After updating the firmware, the gimbal now rotates smoothly on startup.
2018-8-29
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

mardarethedog Posted at 2018-8-29 19:30
Hey Susan,

Thanks for following up! It's appreciated. Although the scratches on my mavic's gimbal assembly are almost identical to the ones in the picture you posted, there's no visible glue residue  or any other wear  marks elsewhere.

Thanks for getting back to us. You may try to wipe this with a WET tissue to see whether it helps. If the issue remains, I'm afraid that you may consider sending it in for diagnosis: https://www.dji.com/support Sorry about this.
2018-8-30
Use props
Recon
  • >>>
United States

I think I found the solution to the problem and damages. Wet wipes will not help, its removed scratched paint. I think, sadly, it is a design flaw in the gimbal cover.

I suspected first a shipping accident or ruff handling. Especially as the gimbal cover prevents mostly forward movement and not backward. But then I had a closer look and noticed it must be the gimbal cover mechsnism itself that is sadly flawed.

If you put the cover on like most peopke will do - with the drone upside down - the litlle notch in the mechsnism ( see pictures) will push the whole gimbal assembly backwards into the two gimball mounts/struts that holds the floating rubbers. UNLESS you HOLD the gimbal in place fixed with your second hand. I strongly suspect thst the workers dont hold the gimbal with the second hand. And in a little testvideo ( obviously without pushing the cover in, it showed exactly that behaviour). Damage movement and struts align perfectly when trying to put the cover on.  So the gimbal doesnt glide over that notch of the cover but gets pushed back.

I cant believe nobody of dji noticed that. Especially as so many people already had units shipped to them with the exact same scratches out of a new box. Quality control must have noticed that.

The worst is that the gimbal cover acts basically as a force leverage due to that mechsnism so a lot of fsctory workers probably didnt even noticed that they re pushing the gimbal too far back l, scratching and maybe even stretching the rubber or mechanism.

Furthermore, I m amazed that there is no 5 cent rubber protective piece on those two struts. Would help a) with the design flaw of the cover and b) the reported behaviour that if you fly forward (even in p mode) and let the stick go to neutral the drone stops so violently that the gimbal cloncks too into thst back zone and those struts with a visible shaken video. Some extra rubber there would go a long way in safety.

So that brings me to my problem now, is it a) acceptable that a new and expensive product has those scratches and problems ( and will a refund and replace even be useful as tge next unit will have that pretty sure too if the assembly didnt hold the gimbal separately while putting on the cover) and b) - even more important - how can one now know if the gimbal and camera is still 100 percent perfect and aligned and the rubbers of the base not overstretched - as clearly there was a force in the factory applied which moved the gimbal in a position it should not move/extend too. Any thoughts or suggestions?

And what are dji moderators thinking?

2018-8-30
Use props
Palebanana
lvl.1
Flight distance : 146535 ft
Canada

Recon Posted at 2018-8-30 01:11
I think I found the solution to the problem and damages. Wet wipes will not help, its removed scratched paint. I think, sadly, it is a design flaw in the gimbal cover.

I suspected first a shipping accident or ruff handling. Especially as the gimbal cover prevents mostly forward movement and not backward. But then I had a closer look and noticed it must be the gimbal cover mechsnism itself that is sadly flawed.

Thanks for this detailed post!

Mine also came with these marks. I have the same concern, is the camera/gimbal still 100%? I suspect that yes, it's fine. The paint/material used to cover the gimbal does seem like it will mark-up quite easily, so I suspect that not much force (from the gimbal cover) was required to cause the marks (i hope). I was thinking the gimabal cover may have something to do with it as well, and I think you're 100% correct here.

I'm going to hold off on returning mine (for now) as it seems to be functionally perfect. I assume that if I did return it, I'd get one with the exact same, or worse damage.

My biggest issue now is that for $2k, I've been sent a "scratch-n-dent" product. Something that would be discounted at a retail store. Perhaps an extra battery, or some props would make us feel better for our troubles?

2018-8-30
Use props
fans62786c73
lvl.1
United States

Mine is the same way, scuffs on the top of the camera and tiny dent on the bottom, right at the rim of the downward facing camera.
20180828_224325.jpg
20180828_224256.jpg
2018-8-30
Use props
Morawka
lvl.1
Flight distance : 206276 ft
United States

I ended up sending my Mavic 2 Pro back.  My copy also had scratches, finger grease, and hairs stuck onto the stickers.  It was definately a rework.  I want one that comes off the line without the need for rework.   DJI should use these reworks as warranty replacements instead of trying to pass them off to new customers.  I should have a replacement in 2 weeks.  DJI is cheap, they won't give anything but ground labels.  Shipping from the East coast takes 5 business days and if you buy the label yourself, you'll notice it's around $100 for 2 day air.  They wouldn't let me keep the flymore bundle, they wanted that back too.
2018-8-30
Use props
fans62786c73
lvl.1
United States

Why would they want the fly more package back also?!?! That doesn't make a lick of sense since it's separate now. I want to send mine back, mainly due to the small dent by the downward facing camera, but I don't want to wait forever. Other than the cosmetic imperfections, this drone is awesome. But I also don't know if I can live with something that I paid $1450 for and it be scratched and dented brand new out of the box.
2018-8-30
Use props
Turbine
lvl.1

Man this makes me worry about my shipment coming in. Definitely going to record it as I unbox and inspect it before flying.
2018-8-30
Use props
Novadesigns
lvl.3

I'm glad that

A: I'm not that picky... I mean think how this thing will look after a few flight anyway.

B: My sample works as advertised. Looks great and functions great. I suspect 95% of drones shipped are also fine.
2018-8-30
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Recon Posted at 2018-8-30 01:11

Hi Recon, we're sorry for the inconvenience. If you have the similar experience, please kindly send it in and offer your case number, we'll keep follow up.
2018-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules