Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Pro v Mavic 1 - "Lost" features list
3884 31 2018-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

[size=14.6667px]Im just trying to make a list of things that were on the Mavic 1 but seem to be missing (so far) on the initial Mavic 2 release.

[size=14.6667px]So far i think its:-

• No portrait mode.   This is permanent and cant be fixed due to hardware limitations so workarounds needed
  • No precision Landing - I guess a firmware update to add this as all the sensors and more are there.  Although, im not sure if it does it "by default" now or not
  • No D-Cinelike/Colour profiles  -  I guess a firmware update could add these
  • No fixed wing mode - Not a big issue for most i don't think

[size=14.6667px]Other things, we really need the engineers to release a LUT.  Only they know the gamma profile and other details to actually produce one.  No 3rd party has access to those details.

[size=14.6667px]Anything else the old drone has but the new doesn't? To be fair, most of it looks firmware fixable.

2018-8-30
Use props
atercervus
First Officer
Flight distance : 1084957 ft
Monaco

Interesting, didn't think about a portrait mode yet .. Is it still existing in the Mavic 2 Zoom?
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

atercervus Posted at 2018-8-30 02:41
Interesting, didn't think about a portrait mode yet .. Is it still existing in the Mavic 2 Zoom?

No.  Neither mavic has it due to the new gimbal designs.

Its frustrating when that mode is used a LOT for panoramas!
2018-8-30
Use props
atercervus
First Officer
Monaco

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-30 02:45
No.  Neither mavic has it due to the new gimbal designs.

Its frustrating when that mode is used a LOT for panoramas!

Well let's be honest we all used it a lot for IG images haha
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

atercervus Posted at 2018-8-30 02:53
Well let's be honest we all used it a lot for IG images haha

Isn't that why they invented the Spark ? ;)
2018-8-30
Use props
atercervus
First Officer
Monaco

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-30 03:07
Isn't that why they invented the Spark ? ;)

Switching a camera to portrait mode was an easier way than flying an extra drone by the main one
Is there a portrait feature in Mavic Air btw?
2018-8-30
Use props
Rob W
Captain
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

No Cinema 4K. >>>> See the lesser picture<<<<
2018-8-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nr 1 is a real bummer.
That makes my pano life hard.
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-8-30 11:24
Nr 1 is a real bummer.

Its annoying but the mechanical reasons do make sense.  Its just going to mean double the number of images for each pano now.
Instead of 1 row for each segment you now need 2 (a top and bottom) so 2 x 3 instead of 1 x 3 etc.

Irritating but at least has a reason.  Things like precision landing missing etc make less sense as there doesn't seem to be a good reason.
2018-8-30
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-30 11:42
Its annoying but the mechanical reasons do make sense.  Its just going to mean double the number of images for each pano now.
Instead of 1 row for each segment you now need 2 (a top and bottom) so 2 x 3 instead of 1 x 3 etc.

It is not just annoying. The end result will be less good as there is more time between columns (of the pano) and the world has a way of changing every second (most of the interesting parts of it have) so you need as little time between columns to make the changes as small as they can be.
Otherwise you will get the same car in multiple shots etc.
Clouds and water also have a tendency to move....
So when I need 2 rows, it is harder to make good panos.
Also it will be hard to make the exact same rows (height) which will result in a lot of extra space as you get black spots when you moved away from your horizontal line.
With the portrait mode, usually one row is enough and you just need to move the left joystick a little between shots.
Darn, I will miss that feature.
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

I agree, i do a lot of panos and 100% of them are manual portrait mode (the auto modes are utterly useless).  Its a big loss.  Their reasoning makes sense but its a big loss.
There will be more wasted space vertically for sure.
2018-8-30
Use props
Kingram
First Officer
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

So without precision landing how far off  of a landing mat will it be ?
2018-8-30
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Kingram Posted at 2018-8-30 12:23
So without precision landing how far off  of a landing mat will it be ?

Ok, while the "community" seems to have concluded already that precision landing has been abolished (which in my opinion is certainly not the case) without having any valid evidence for that , I herewith promise to produce a video on that as soon as I have received my M2P (still hoping for tomorrow).
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

"no valid evidence" other than support asking the engineers who confirmed its been removed?  Im hoping its just "always on" but various people are posting it seems to be missing the target and support claim its removed so who knows.

GPS accuracy is typically 3-5m (it can be less without a clear sky view) so non precision landing expect it to be within 3-5m of takeoff.
2018-8-30
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-30 12:55
"no valid evidence" other than support asking the engineers who confirmed its been removed?  Im hoping its just "always on" but various people are posting it seems to be missing the target and support claim its removed so who knows.

GPS accuracy is typically 3-5m (it can be less without a clear sky view) so non precision landing expect it to be within 3-5m of takeoff.

Yes, I have read these posts but they did not inform about their take off procedure. Precision landing capability requires a straight vertical take off to up to 7-8 metres for the vision sensors to recognise and store the precise take off location. Another requirement is that the take off point provides sufficient light and contrast. Again important information not provided by those who claim that precision landing has been abolished just because the relating tick box is no longer there. Let's take our time to do proper tests and then come to conclusions. But as I had mentioned in another thread: It is more than hard to believe that DJI would deliberately make a new and more expensive product worse than the previously released one (Mavic Air) while having the well tested and working technology at hand.
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Thats why ive said in other threads someone needs to do the test.  Im having a really hard time believing despite all the sensors (and extras like the light) being present they'd remove a feature that the spark, mavic, air, P4 all had.

I'll test it if/when i get mine but a week on its still in China.
2018-8-30
Use props
RobWest
lvl.4
Flight distance : 589633 ft
France

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-30 13:14
Thats why ive said in other threads someone needs to do the test.  Im having a really hard time believing despite all the sensors (and extras like the light) being present they'd remove a feature that the spark, mavic, air, P4 all had.

I'll test it if/when i get mine but a week on its still in China.

I have to admit that with the 2 flights of my MP2 it has landed approx 4-6 feet away from the take-off position, I hope that they aren't indicative of 'normal' performance, my MP lands within just a few inches 90% of the time.
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Are you doing what would be the precision takeoff though?  Ascending slowly to 30ft before turning or moving laterally with all the sensors on?

Even the old mavic wouldnt use precision unless that happened.
2018-8-30
Use props
Tang19699
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2138310 ft

The number of days for discharging a battery pack is gone. Are we suppose to do it manually or is there a default amount of days so we don’t damage our batteries?
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Just read the manual - its 10 days just like the old one.  But can't now be configured.
2018-8-30
Use props
Paul_IA
Captain
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I'm wondering if the MP2 wasn't rushing into production before a few of these things were finished. Can't believe they'd come out with a "new and improved" model and drop some of these features.
2018-8-30
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>

Paul_IA Posted at 2018-8-30 17:45
I'm wondering if the MP2 wasn't rushing into production before a few of these things were finished. Can't believe they'd come out with a "new and improved" model and drop some of these features.

We are a week from launch on firmware 1.00.0000.  Be patient things will come.

On a positive note, I have flown 6 flights with the Mavic 2 Pro.  The horizon is has been PERFECTLY LEVEL during each flight!  Now THAT is quite an improvement considering we have been dealing with horizon issues since the P3 was released. (not sure how the Spark, Mavic A, & latest P4 v.2 birds fare as I don't have them).
2018-8-30
Use props
FRCornelis
First Officer
Flight distance : 1252884 ft
  • >>>

I did about 6 flights since Monday when I got the unit.
It feels solid, I can't complain about the flight quality of the unit, I feel safe with it.

However, I can confirm Precision Landing is not available, I tried the last two flights with proper lighting, hovering over the landing pad up to 8m before moving vertically, it will land like 3 meters away from the initial location, we REALLY need that feature back, which is available on almost previous drone lines.

Where is the automatic discharge settings for the battery?, I can't find it anywhere, the one you set how many days the battery will hold charge before auto-discharge for protection?  

Fixed Wing Mode? why take away that from the original Mavic?

Will all that come back in the next firmware /GO4 update?

Also, did you notice the lack of sonar sensors on the bottom? perhaps this is a good thing but I do miss the "tic-itc-itc" LOL

-FC

2018-8-30
Use props
Scrappy
United States

Resurrecting this post as to not create a new one --

Did my first flights today with the Mavic 2 Zoom and discovered the lack of a potrait mode, and so far not seeing a way to take HDR photos in RAW.  When I got home I saw the Save Original Options for the Panos and the Hyperlapse, and set those to RAW but pretty sure this doesn't apply to the normal HDR mode for normal pictures.

Tried the Vertical pano mode, but definitely doesn't replace the portrait mode as such.

How are people managing without portrait mode, and only HDR photos in JPEG format?
2018-9-29
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

The pano auto options are fairly rubbish, they offer no customisation as to field of view, images and always centre the horizon before starting.  You really need to do them manually.  Not having portrait this does make it more fiddly and you need to crop the final image more.

As for HDR, it can't give you a raw file.  A raw file is an unedited dump of the sensor data for the camera.  It's not an image.  The HDR mode (which is fairly useless) takes several images and merges them.  So its processed data, so it cant be output as a raw file.  Hence it's JPG.

You're far better off shooting AEB 5 shot and manually creating an image.  That way you have more DR and less quality loss before final output.
2018-10-7
Use props
rarevfx_official
Second Officer
Flight distance : 387562 ft
Germany

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-8-30 11:24
Nr 1 is a real bummer.

Makes your pano life hard? The old mavic had an 12mpx sensor, the new on a 20mpx, so you can crop more and make even more detailed panos...

M2P pano (3x 20mpx)
2018-10-7
Use props
rarevfx_official
Second Officer
Flight distance : 387562 ft
Germany

Scrappy Posted at 2018-9-29 12:24
Resurrecting this post as to not create a new one --

Did my first flights today with the Mavic 2 Zoom and discovered the lack of a potrait mode, and so far not seeing a way to take HDR photos in RAW.  When I got home I saw the Save Original Options for the Panos and the Hyperlapse, and set those to RAW but pretty sure this doesn't apply to the normal HDR mode for normal pictures.

taking panos manually is pretty easy imo. Adobe Lightroom can stitch nearly everything together to make it seamless. HDR simple do several photos with different exposures or use AEB.

Take a look on this 2 pic pano i've manually taken. 1 photo down, the other up - lightroom did the rest.
2018-10-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

rarevfx_official Posted at 2018-10-7 22:53
Makes your pano life hard? The old mavic had an 12mpx sensor, the new on a 20mpx, so you can crop more and make even more detailed panos...

M2P pano (3x 20mpx)

It is not the resolution I care about.

I like to have more sky and ground in most pano's
When I'm in landscape mode, that requires me to make 2 rows of pictures.
In portrait mode I only need 1 row.
That means less ghosting (as the world changes while you take your sequence)
Plus I'm ready in one turn (quicker) and the editing is faster (less pictures to work with)

PS, I'm shooting full manual, so no automated mode.
PPS, I also use landscape mode for pano's, but only when I want a less wide effect, so I'm familiar with shooting in landscape mode.
2018-10-7
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Exactly, its twice the number of images (and then cropping to get the aspect) and twice the time needed.

Moving objects such as water ripples and so on produce worse ghosting the longer the gap inbetween.   Its not ideal but portrait mode cant be brought back.
2018-10-8
Use props
ygor
Second Officer
Flight distance : 719245 ft
Brazil

Fixed-Wing Mode (for using with DJI Goggles RE) and D-Cinelike profiles are my 2 most missed features.

I also think they could allow digital zoom for the M2P and 10-bit color for the M2Z.

C4K: 4096 x 2160 24p would also be super welcome at least for the M2P since the Phantoms have it.
2018-12-6
Use props
BumblerBee
First Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I've been having a blast flying in fixed-wing mode this summer... Pity it's not there. Also portrait mode for panoramas... Still holding off on buying MP2 until Spring... Will see then, if it's worth it.
2018-12-6
Use props
CharlieZ
Captain
Flight distance : 623432 ft
United States

I really want to try the fixed wing mode.
2019-1-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules