31980 248 2018-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Andrejs Posted at 2018-9-5 00:53
Never used precision landing with Mavic 1. What is a point to use it?
Is it not better to manual land? And it's will be precise 100% of time  Also didn't understand why need to use RTH when you can fly manually For me RTH was like only for times when you lost signal etc.Asking because maybe I am missing something and I need to wanting this function too

If you love piloting drones, you probably don't care about precision landing. If you only love photography and flying is just a necessary evil, it was just handy. People like things that happen at the push of a button, and then they find it frustrating when DJI takes things away that was once routine. Sometimes photo shoots can get long, busy, and stressful, and photographers like these feature that make each flight a bit easier.
2018-9-16
Use props
OnosToolan
lvl.1
United Kingdom

OnosToolan Posted at 2018-9-14 03:37
Hi all, I just got my M2 here in the UK, it has a precision landing option in the aircraft menu after the new firmware update. It works fine.

A recap.
Total return to home failure.
M2 was off the mark by about 5 meters.
I think I was just lucky the first couple of times.
Besides its good practice for manual landings.
But that is not the point is it ?
2018-9-17
Use props
tiggy bengal
lvl.2
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-5 10:35
Why would it land on a car or in a lake, where did you think dji drones in RTH landed before precision landing, maybe show us just one case that landed on a car or in a lake.
Look on the bright side at least we won’t have to force land all the time because app tells us it’s not safe to land from where it took off from.

if the controller breaks or dies and rth is off by 8 feet it would DEFINATELEY crash into my fence or my cat tree or many other obstacles in my garden so get real and don't make childish comments please we want constructive help not destructive criticism
2018-9-20
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

Removing the precision landing is a disappointment, the MP2 has some great some great new features that I hope be improved with future updates. It may have been feature oversight as the number of posts raving about precision landing is almost non existent. DJI have clearly added some nice features to the MP2 and have decided precision landing isn't a necessity or possible due to hardware/software issues. Let's  hope DJI  resolve if at all possible.
2018-9-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

tiggy bengal Posted at 2018-9-20 21:11
if the controller breaks or dies and rth is off by 8 feet it would DEFINATELEY crash into my fence or my cat tree or many other obstacles in my garden so get real and don't make childish comments please we want constructive help not destructive criticism

Hopefully the sky won’t fall in.
2018-9-20
Use props
HFI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904990 ft
  • >>>

Update - I stand corrected. I was confusing precision landing with landing protection (which I find annoying and have switched off) . Yes precision landing is useful and needed on the M2
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Honestly I find precision landing more of a hinderance than a help. Having the aircraft hovering at 2/3 feet off the ground and not being able to make a smooth manual landing makes it tricky when landing on a boat, etc. Also people should not be relaying on RTH to make their landings for them.

But in the case of a loss of power on with the controller / aircraft disconnect I can see the benefits

2018-9-21
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-20 23:46
Hopefully the sky won’t fall in.

Until now I had totally overlooked this risk, thank you very much for having alertet me! Shall add it on my pre flight checklist: "Does the sky look stable enough?"
2018-9-21
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is it not better to manual land? And it's will be precise 100% of time  Also didn't understand why need to use RTH when you can fly manually For me RTH was like only for times when you lost signal etc.Asking because maybe I am missing something and I need to wanting this function too

I never used Lane Keeping Assistance on my car.  What's the point of having it? Is it not better to pay attention to the road and make sure that you don't become distracted or drowsy when driving? My hand/eye coordination is still better than the best of all automated driving systems and I just don't understand why I would allow any computer to control steering when my arms function perfectly well.

Ok...ok. I'll stop now because I'm sure the point is taken... Who cares if you will or will not use it. It was there on a prior generation, it functioned as-designed quite well, and in some edge cases it may provide a safety mechanism that otherwise would not be available. To further the car analogy...would you expect BMW to remove some sort of automatic braking feature that they made standard in one generation when you go and purchase the subsequent one?

And by the way...I don't buy that any human action is 100% anymore than I buy that any technology is 100%. There are very few things in life that are binary or perfect, but I'd vote for the perfection of an automated system over human hands on every day that ends in Y.
2018-9-21
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

HFI Posted at 2018-9-21 07:45
Honestly I find precision landing more of a hinderance than a help. People should not be relaying on RTH to make their landings for them. If you cannot control you own landings you should not be flying RC aircrafts. Just my 2¢.

How is precision landing a hindrance to you? How does this feature being on the drone as an option prevent you from flying your drone in some way?
2018-9-21
Use props
WRHershey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116043 ft
  • >>>
United States

TrevorSK Posted at 2018-9-16 06:27
If you love piloting drones, you probably don't care about precision landing. If you only love photography and flying is just a necessary evil, it was just handy. People like things that happen at the push of a button, and then they find it frustrating when DJI takes things away that was once routine. Sometimes photo shoots can get long, busy, and stressful, and photographers like these feature that make each flight a bit easier.

Totally appreciate your post, however I love to fly my Mavic 1 and 2, I'm not much into photography, and I love PL...I just enjoy the technology. I use it often on the M1, but most of all when I'm in Indonesia I need to fly up above the canopy sometimes through a narrow opening and every time, that little drone slipped right back down through the jungle growth  and sat down right where I took off at. It is an amazing feature to me, so I'm just saying, you don't need it, cool, but we all enjoy our hobby for different reasons. I'm sure it will be back, just doesn't figure they would ask us to spend more money on a drone with less features...I will just be patient...happy flying my friend.
2018-9-21
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

txtechnonerd Posted at 2018-9-21 09:02
I never used Lane Keeping Assistance on my car.  What's the point of having it? Is it not better to pay attention to the road and make sure that you don't become distracted or drowsy when driving? My hand/eye coordination is still better than the best of all automated driving systems and I just don't understand why I would allow any computer to control steering when my arms function perfectly well.

Ok...ok. I'll stop now because I'm sure the point is taken... Who cares if you will or will not use it. It was there on a prior generation, it functioned as-designed quite well, and in some edge cases it may provide a safety mechanism that otherwise would not be available. To further the car analogy...would you expect BMW to remove some sort of automatic braking feature that they made standard in one generation when you go and purchase the subsequent one?

You are trying to compare automatic saftey features with automatic convenience features. It can't be done. Safety features are designed for a different purpose. Precision landing is not to make landing safer, it's to make landing more convenient.
2018-9-21
Use props
txtechnonerd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

TrevorSK Posted at 2018-9-21 18:06
You are trying to compare automatic saftey features with automatic convenience features. It can't be done. Safety features are designed for a different purpose. Precision landing is not to make landing safer, it's to make landing more convenient.

Fine...if you think so, so be it. You're missing the point. Replace said safety technology with Cruise Control, automatic climate control, speed based volume control, etc. and my "actual" point still stands (always did actually).
2018-9-21
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27978153 ft
  • >>>

Deja Vu all over again. I like precision landing even though I am well acquainted with flying as well as landing. I'm glad DJI is bringing it to the M2.
2018-9-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

TrevorSK Posted at 2018-9-21 18:06

Precision landing is not to make landing safer, it's to make landing more convenient.

When Mavic Pro is doing an Emergency RTH, with Precision landing enabled, and it detects an obstacle (aka human) in its landing spot and does not land at that spot; would that not be making landing safer?

2018-9-21
Use props
bkling
lvl.1
Singapore

It is dam important feature and really hope it will be restored back in the next firmware.
2018-9-21
Use props
djiuser_elVBVsgvMHMD
lvl.1

Ecuador

DJI is going to add it again!
2018-9-24
Use props
Serratus
lvl.1
Norway

This is the craziest thread I've come across on a forum related to consumer electronics. It is a bit concerning that there's no moderation here. Having just spent $2000 on a drone, I hope this isn't representative of the company as a whole ..
2018-9-24
Use props
Serratus
lvl.1
Norway

WingSpeed Posted at 2018-9-24 17:01
It sure is representative of the company! You should see the actual DJI employees who attack people online in forums such as RCGroups, etc. Generally speaking, the outward-facing DJI employees are Geek-Squad rejects.

I hope the actual customer service is better. I never imagined when researching precision landing, I'd be met with pages of flame wars with full names and murder chronicles. A bizarre and frightening reminder of the level we have stooped down to collectively as a species.
2018-9-24
Use props
Kalibr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 59416 ft
United States

Honestly I find precision landing more of a hinderance than a help. People should not be relaying on RTH to make their landings for them. If you cannot control you own landings you should not be flying RC aircrafts. Just my 2¢.

Is it a "hinderance" if your controller disconnects from the drone and you are at the mercy of the hardware and software to bring it back home? Would be nice if it landed where it took off and not 5 meters away in a lake.
2018-9-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Kalibr Posted at 2018-9-25 11:29
Is it a "hinderance" if your controller disconnects from the drone and you are at the mercy of the hardware and software to bring it back home? Would be nice if it landed where it took off and not 5 meters away in a lake.

It won’t land anything like5 metres away, I have trialed about 20 RTH and the furthest away was 5 feet, I flew the P4 for 12 months with no PL and never seen it land more than a couple of feet.
Anyone flying should have a minimum take off area of 3 metre circle and a minimum landing area of 5 metres, whether you have PL or not, and this was a requirement when doing commercial course.

I beleive dji have already said that it would come in a FW update, so I suppose fly safe until then.
2018-9-25
Use props
eyecapture
lvl.4
Flight distance : 517848 ft
Canada

My god, people are spoiled brats complaining about this. It's like complaining about the lack of training wheels because you bought a performance bicycle.

If you NEED precision landing you shouldn't be flying!
2018-9-25
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

eyecapture Posted at 2018-9-25 13:28
My god, people are spoiled brats complaining about this. It's like complaining about the lack of training wheels because you bought a performance bicycle.

How true, thank you!
2018-9-25
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-25 11:39
It won’t land anything like5 metres away, I have trialed about 20 RTH and the furthest away was 5 feet, I flew the P4 for 12 months with no PL and never seen it land more than a couple of feet.
Anyone flying should have a minimum take off area of 3 metre circle and a minimum landing area of 5 metres, whether you have PL or not, and this was a requirement when doing commercial course.

I can share the same experience, it always comes back very close. But I still prefer to land it myself and not just watch a flying robot doing everything itself.
2018-9-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-25 13:45
I can share the same experience, it always comes back very close. But I still prefer to land it myself and not just watch a flying robot doing everything itself.

I was simply testing it because so many saying it was landing 5 metres (17ft) away, tech is so good in this Mavic 2 , I don’t believe this is ever going to happen, but definitely landing yourself is both the correct and safest way to fly.
2018-9-25
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-25 13:52
I was simply testing it because so many saying it was landing 5 metres (17ft) away, tech is so good in this Mavic 2 , I don’t believe this is ever going to happen, but definitely landing yourself is both the correct and safest way to fly.

Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to say. I equally did the tests for the same reason.
2018-9-25
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Precision landing has it's place when - for whatever reason RC gets disconnected from drone.  Leading to drone doing an auto-triggered RTH.

With that said, I try to pick takeoff and landing areas with ample room for automated RTH.   Not everyone is fortunate enough to have areas with ample room.
2018-9-25
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-21 08:29
Until now I had totally overlooked this risk, thank you very much for having alertet me! Shall add it on my pre flight checklist: "Does the sky look stable enough?"

Even when DJI enables Precision Landing for the Mavic 2 it doesn't mean landing will be a precise as found on Mavic Pro?
2018-9-25
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-9-25 15:31
Even when DJI enables Precision Landing for the Mavic 2 it doesn't mean landing will be a precise as found on Mavic Pro?

Why would it not be ? It has many more sensors , dji introduced PL in a FW update for phantom 4, which was almost a year older than Mavic Pro, and it’s PL is every bit as good as Mavic Pro,
2018-9-25
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-25 15:39
Why would it not be ? It has many more sensors , dji introduced PL in a FW update for phantom 4, which was almost a year older than Mavic Pro, and it’s PL is every bit as good as Mavic Pro,

I hope DJI is holding back the Precision Landing on the Mavic 2 because they want to make sure it's every bit as accurate as found in the Mavic Pro.

Guess it takes long to perfect the technology found in a new drone like the Mavic 2, which is why this drone will likely be the premier drone of DJI for quite some time?
2018-9-25
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

So you've developed the ability to telepathically control the drone and bring it in to a safe landing in the event your RC breaks or is unable to communicate with the drone?
That's clever.
The rest of us would like a precision landing feature to allow the drone to return safely as we don't have those superpowers.

2018-9-25
Use props
Jester‘s Drones
lvl.2
Flight distance : 316509 ft
United States

That's exactly right, and will probably be in a future firmware update
2018-9-27
Use props
Duncandonut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2139291 ft
United Kingdom

Precision landing is, as I see it a necessity. Lets be honest here. We have all invested a hell of alot of money into our drones, especially those of us that have taken the plunge and bought a Mavic 2. Now if the worst ever happened and for some reason during a flight my controller died or the app dies, it is nice knowing that the drone will return to where it took off from. Now imagine if you took off from the edge of a lake or a cliff. That 10ft is the difference between it landing in water or dropping off the edge of a cliff. I don't want to see my £1600 investment land in water.

For me it is a peace of mind having it available.
2018-9-27
Use props
dunfr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 779413 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Duncandonut Posted at 2018-9-27 04:58
Precision landing is, as I see it a necessity. Lets be honest here. We have all invested a hell of alot of money into our drones, especially those of us that have taken the plunge and bought a Mavic 2. Now if the worst ever happened and for some reason during a flight my controller died or the app dies, it is nice knowing that the drone will return to where it took off from. Now imagine if you took off from the edge of a lake or a cliff. That 10ft is the difference between it landing in water or dropping off the edge of a cliff. I don't want to see my £1600 investment land in water.

For me it is a peace of mind having it available.

During Low Battery RTH or Failsafe RTH the aircraft hovers at 2m above the ground and waits for confirmation it is suitable to land. I tried the Smart RTH with a very strong GPS signal (away from bridges, buildings and trees), because of all the complaints, and was surprised the aircraft landed about 1ft from Home Point. I am gaining experience - 118 flights and have a total of 2 RTH; I think we should fly back home and manually land most of the time.

Until there is an update and you are worried about proximity of cliff or water in a very rare emergency situation (controller or app dying) - find a better take-off position.

Safe Flying.
2018-9-27
Use props
fans84085013
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5315 ft
  • >>>

Honestly I find precision landing more of a hinderance than a help. People should not be relaying on RTH to make their landings for them. If you cannot control you own landings you should not be flying RC aircrafts. Just my 2¢.

There is no way that this is a hinderance. You are welcome at any time to land your mavic manually. But if there is a critical disconnect, then it suddently becomes a necessity. You can always land manually, but just because you can doesn't mean that the feature for other pilots is not useful.
2018-9-28
Use props
hyperbubba
lvl.1
United States

i hope they get this fixed , i'm in the same boat landing 5 to 10 feet off could be catastrophic... busted props or worse stuck in a tree or in the water..
DJI will fix it , i'm confident they are realizing that this is needed
2018-10-16
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

This is still needed and I'm disappointed it wasn't in the latest update.
2018-10-18
Use props
Novadesigns
lvl.2

I think you whiners need to learn how to fly your drones and stop waiting around crying for the nanny to take care of you. If you can't fly and land your drone safely and with precision, then you are a danger to others and should not be flying drones in the first place.
2018-10-18
Use props
Illuminations
First Officer
Flight distance : 13 ft
  • >>>
United States

It was bad enough when DJI was omitting important features from their products - now they are removing what was already there!
2018-10-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Novadesigns Posted at 2018-10-18 15:17
I think you whiners need to learn how to fly your drones and stop waiting around crying for the nanny to take care of you. If you can't fly and land your drone safely and with precision, then you are a danger to others and should not be flying drones in the first place.

Try landing your drone safely and with precision, when DJI's Remote Controller suddenly quits.
2018-10-18
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

WingSpeed Posted at 2018-10-18 16:35
There is absolutely no reason for DJI to REMOVE a feature it offers, even in lesser products. As well as the product it is replacing! Your logic is flawed and you make no sense. If you don’t want it, then don’t use it. But the majority of people want it, so clearly you are wrong. #FAIL.

There is absolutely no reason for DJI to REMOVE a feature it offers,

Unless DJI plans to re-introduce a feature in Mavic 2 Pro - Silver, Gold, or Platinum models.  
2018-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules