Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Precision landing
31108 277 2018-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NomadRT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Andrejs Posted at 2018-9-5 00:53
Never used precision landing with Mavic 1. What is a point to use it?
Is it not better to manual land? And it's will be precise 100% of time  Also didn't understand why need to use RTH when you can fly manually For me RTH was like only for times when you lost signal etc.Asking because maybe I am missing something and I need to wanting this function too

I am really starting to get annoyed with replies like this.   

1.  YES.  I know how to land it myself
2.  YES.   I often land it myself
3.  HOWEVER, if I decide to use RTH for whatever reason I want it to land extremely close to where I took off.
4.  ADDITIONALLY, you should never advocate for LOSS of functionality over gaining or keeping functionality
5.  FINALLY, and the most important reason --  If I lose connection with my remote for any reason and this thing comes back home to land by itself, without precision landing it could land on the roof, on a car, on a bush, in a tree, or any number of other things.   I purposely test RTH periodically just to make sure everything is good in case of emergency (like loss of connection with the remote that can't be reestablished) and several times the lack of precision landing has started to bring my drone down on top of my house or over the car any other undesirable places.     

I get it.   You guys are PRO PILOTS and everyone who asks for precision landing are just nOObs that are inferior because they don't land their drone themselves.    Well...wait a sec.... NO WE ARE NOT.    We just know that in tight neighborhoods or yards with not very much room -- you could cause damage or be screwed in the (however unlikely) event that you lose connection with your remote without this feature.   

/rantover
2018-10-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

NomadRT Posted at 2018-10-29 13:14
I am really starting to get annoyed with replies like this.   

1.  YES.  I know how to land it myself

If it lands on a roof or a car or in water, then you most likely took off from an unsuitable location, this is clearly laid out in all dji drone manuals,  I have also tested RTH extensively and I have found it very difficult to get aircraft to land any further than 3 feet from take off point.
While people have said dji forgot to include precision landing, I’m not to sure that was the case and I can only think they are working on trying to implement it into FW/SW, we seen today the release of the new Mavic Enterprise and precision landing has not been implemented in this aircraft yet.
So while it’s taken some time I believe it will eventually come and I certainly would rather it comes working and not to the detriment of anything else in this great craft, I haven’t seen many having difficulties so far, yes many looking for it, but not many problems.
It took almost a year to implement to P4 and there were no issues with RTH , just take off from a safe envoirment and you should be alright until it arrives.
Safe flying.
2018-10-29
Use props
txtechnonerd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-10-29 13:56
If it lands on a roof or a car or in water, then you most likely took off from an unsuitable location, this is clearly laid out in all dji drone manuals,  I have also tested RTH extensively and I have found it very difficult to get aircraft to land any further than 3 feet from take off point.
While people have said dji forgot to include precision landing, I’m not to sure that was the case and I can only think they are working on trying to implement it into FW/SW, we seen today the release of the new Mavic Enterprise and precision landing has not been implemented in this aircraft yet.
So while it’s taken some time I believe it will eventually come and I certainly would rather it comes working and not to the detriment of anything else in this great craft, I haven’t seen many having difficulties so far, yes many looking for it, but not many problems.

Or... Just maybe... Finding truly qualified and skilled engineers isn't so easy and they aren't so cheap, so maybe they are having a time/brain crunch and have simply put off implementing a feature that they figure won't "sell" additional drones/equipment and focusing on marketing/implementing other items that will. In any case, as I've made the statement before, nobody in their half right mind expects technology to retreat...especially something that was seemingly so well executed previously. You're supposed to build upon prior improvements not toss them to the side...regardless of if you particularly used them or not. I'm sure that many way back when thought that automatic washing machines were also a waste of time and money...I mean, you can wash anything in your sink that you can wash in your brand new HE front loader. But that's not the point. The point is that precision RTH was implemented well in older drones, functioned as described, and has been demonstrated by plenty of other manufacturers as well. I'm sure they're working on it, but the simple fact that it wasn't just baked in to begin with makes me seriously question the repeat-ability of their technological developments. A feature like that shouldn't take a complete wheel re-invention with every new model.
2018-10-29
Use props
Boffin
First Officer
Australia

Could it be that the new app is becoming so bloated with new features and data encryption that any extra features would overload the available resources?

Already people are complaining that some 'upgrades' render their previously perfectly functioning phone/tab unusable because of cpu overload/insufficient memory etc.

Maybe it's time for DJI to make separate apps for each piece of equipment rather than a bloated 'One size fits all' app that covers the entire range of flying cameras.
2018-10-29
Use props
BrilhasMuito
Captain
Flight distance : 3745554 ft
Brazil

Novadesigns Posted at 2018-10-18 15:17
I think you whiners need to learn how to fly your drones and stop waiting around crying for the nanny to take care of you. If you can't fly and land your drone safely and with precision, then you are a danger to others and should not be flying drones in the first place.

I half agree with you. I agree people should know how to land their drones manually without the precision landing. And to me its not a deal breaker.
But it could be pretty handy in case the RC fails. AND the most important thing is that its a pretty nice feature for people who have some kind of disability, and for begginers.
We cant say its a feature that doesnt bring safety and peace of mind to the flying experience.
2018-10-29
Use props
DownUnderDrones
First Officer
Flight distance : 450472 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"We have removed the precision landing feature"

Why?

"We have no idea, we just did it"
2018-10-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

txtechnonerd Posted at 2018-10-29 17:11
Or... Just maybe... Finding truly qualified and skilled engineers isn't so easy and they aren't so cheap, so maybe they are having a time/brain crunch and have simply put off implementing a feature that they figure won't "sell" additional drones/equipment and focusing on marketing/implementing other items that will. In any case, as I've made the statement before, nobody in their half right mind expects technology to retreat...especially something that was seemingly so well executed previously. You're supposed to build upon prior improvements not toss them to the side...regardless of if you particularly used them or not. I'm sure that many way back when thought that automatic washing machines were also a waste of time and money...I mean, you can wash anything in your sink that you can wash in your brand new HE front loader. But that's not the point. The point is that precision RTH was implemented well in older drones, functioned as described, and has been demonstrated by plenty of other manufacturers as well. I'm sure they're working on it, but the simple fact that it wasn't just baked in to begin with makes me seriously question the repeat-ability of their technological developments. A feature like that shouldn't take a complete wheel re-invention with every new model.

Or... Just maybe...  DJI decided to cut corners to lower expenses to eke out a little more profit.
2018-10-29
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

DJI Implementing Precision Landing with Mavic 2, should have happened prior to release.  It is not like Precision Landing is a new concept to DJI.  
The Mavic 2 is really a follow on to Mavic Pro with Mavic Air features, like a better camera.  Why DJI decided to drop Precision Landing and Backup Compass is strange.  Unless those will come back with Mavic 2 Pro+.
2018-10-29
Use props
txtechnonerd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 175075 ft
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-10-29 20:59
Or... Just maybe...  DJI decided to cut corners to lower expenses to eke out a little more profit.

Ummm...last time I checked...that's the same thing
2018-10-30
Use props
hyperbubba
lvl.1
United States

this is my first dji , so i can't say i miss precision landing as i've never had it before ... but based on what i've seen it would be a real cool feature to have .
i have automatic headlights and wipers in my Mercedes, and i don't think i'd be very happy if those features were not there on my next one .
2018-11-19
Use props
JAgraphics
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I can understand that most of the time precision landing is not required but as noted by others in situations where things have gone wrong and you need the drone to RTH precision landing would be very helpful.
In fast jets ejector seats are fitted with the intention they are never used. However when needed there is not alternative.
Look on precision landing as part of the safety features for emergencies  not a sop to novices.  Or have none of you lever lost contact with a drone?
2018-11-19
Use props
DH_Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 3301621 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

Precision Landing is back with latest FW I will upgrade and share my experience.
2018-11-22
Use props
DanielVieira
First Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Well Party Time...Precision Landing is back to Mavic 2 lol
2018-11-22
Use props
Fre Mo
First Officer
Flight distance : 803868 ft
France

DanielVieira Posted at 11-22 02:12
Well Party Time...Precision Landing is back to Mavic 2 lol

Did anyone performe some test?
2018-11-22
Use props
EnricoBrun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 917087 ft
Italy

Has anyone tried it at night? , I mavic is still 1-2 meters wrong!
2018-11-29
Use props
Viper Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

I've tried it with many flights now and it works awesome!!  Good job DJI!!
2018-11-29
Use props
EnricoBrun
Second Officer
Italy

Viper Pilot Posted at 11-29 14:04
I've tried it with many flights now and it works awesome!!  Good job DJI!!

Try it at night, after you change your mind!
2018-11-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

EnricoBrun Posted at 11-29 13:02
Has anyone tried it at night? , I mavic is still 1-2 meters wrong!

Well make sure you have at least 3 metres of safe landing area, this should always be a prerequisite for both your safety and the safety of others.
2018-11-29
Use props
Viper Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

EnricoBrun Posted at 11-29 15:34
Try it at night, after you change your mind!

Precision landing utilizes the lower proximity sensors which were not designed for flying in the dark.  You should have been able to figure that out!

2018-11-29
Use props
EnricoBrun
Second Officer
Italy

Viper Pilot Posted at 11-29 16:10
Precision landing utilizes the lower proximity sensors which were not designed for flying in the dark.  You should have been able to figure that out!

The headlights were created on purpose! I thought you had received it
2018-11-29
Use props
Bart B
Second Officer
Flight distance : 878852 ft
United States

A clip from the manual.

2018-11-29
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Thailand

Works perfectly for me.  Usually within an inch or 2.

It doesn't work at night and didnt on any other DJI drone either.  In the same way i cant navigate myself in total darkness on foot.
2018-11-29
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

EnricoBrun Posted at 11-29 16:38
The headlights were created on purpose! I thought you had received it

Precision Landing didn't exist when the Mavic 2 was released, so it's highly unlikely that those lights were added for using Precision Landing in the dark.
2018-11-30
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

For those people who are new to Precision Landing, I put together this guide to explain everything you need to know. And if you've used Precision Landing with other DJI drones, you'll learn a few things that the Mavic 2 does differently.

2018-12-7
Use props
fans438ff70b
New

United States

msinger Posted at 12-7 12:29
For those people who are new to Precision Landing, I put together this guide to explain everything you need to know. And if you've used Precision Landing with other DJI drones, you'll learn a few things that the Mavic 2 does differently.

[view_image]

I updated my firmware, restarted everything, and check to be sure i had the latest dji go app in the play store, but still I don't have precision landing??? Anybody no what's up?  I'm using Android, maybe it's only working on IOS right now?
2018-12-24
Use props
KlooGee
Captain
Flight distance : 16641309 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans438ff70b Posted at 12-24 13:29
I updated my firmware, restarted everything, and check to be sure i had the latest dji go app in the play store, but still I don't have precision landing??? Anybody no what's up?  I'm using Android, maybe it's only working on IOS right now?

When you launched, did you fly straight up at least 7 meters (23 feet) before moving horizontally?  This is necessary in order to enable precision landing.
2018-12-24
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

fans438ff70b Posted at 12-24 13:29
I updated my firmware, restarted everything, and check to be sure i had the latest dji go app in the play store, but still I don't have precision landing??? Anybody no what's up?  I'm using Android, maybe it's only working on IOS right now?

What exactly makes you think you don't have it?
2018-12-25
Use props
fans74aff71e
New

South Africa

This is ridiculous. I have RTH my Mavic Zoom so many times and came to trust the precision landing as it was so accurate. After the latest upgrade I flew it on the beach. I RTH nd it missed my landing pad nd landed in the sand. Apart from destroying a set of propellers and being full of sand, it was a massive embarrassement. DJI I am terribly disappointed, you did not even warn us.
2019-1-29
Use props
DH_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
Slovakia

fans74aff71e Posted at 1-29 01:12
This is ridiculous. I have RTH my Mavic Zoom so many times and came to trust the precision landing as it was so accurate. After the latest upgrade I flew it on the beach. I RTH nd it missed my landing pad nd landed in the sand. Apart from destroying a set of propellers and being full of sand, it was a massive embarrassement. DJI I am terribly disappointed, you did not even warn us.

This happened with latest one 300?
2019-1-29
Use props
Ivan K.
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11965 ft
Bosnia and Herzegovina

DH_Pilot Posted at 1-29 01:52
This happened with latest one 300?

They fix it with new updade rth is spot on now.
2019-1-29
Use props
ZachC2009
lvl.1
United States

I didn’t see it today when I had my magic 2 pro on and smart controller on couldn’t take off due to errors for being in restricted area. Another issue I am working on with dji. Does it only show up after you have taken off in the settings?
2019-1-29
Use props
spankan
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

It seems like precision landing was added for the mavic 2 version with the ".200" in the version name..but the next (current as of 2/12/19) ".300" it was removed.  I have NO idea why this is acceptable... everyone SHOULD want there drone to land as closely as possible to where it took off.... this has NOTHING to do with "I can land it myself"..."I don't need that", blah, blah, blah.... If the damn thing has a feature to return to "home"..then it should return as precisely as possible...  given that obstacles DO exist and precision IS important in this application... especially in the event of  a controller/ signal failure.
2019-2-12
Use props
spankan
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

It seems like precision landing was added for the mavic 2 version with the ".200" in the version name..but the next (current as of 2/12/19) ".300" it was removed.  I have NO idea why this is acceptable... everyone SHOULD want there drone to land as closely as possible to where it took off.... this has NOTHING to do with "I can land it myself"..."I don't need that", blah, blah, blah.... If the damn thing has a feature to return to "home"..then it should return as precisely as possible...  given that obstacles DO exist and precision IS important in this application... especially in the event of  a controller/ signal failure.
2019-2-12
Use props
DH_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
Slovakia

spankan Posted at 2-12 21:18

That is really shocking news especially when they finally gave it back in 0200. Really disapointed.

@DJI

Could you please give us some word on this?
2019-2-12
Use props
Renames
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4232851 ft
Australia

Guys clearly Presition Landing is having some unexpected side effect that’s causing a much bigger issue then your drone missing your take of point a few meters..

It will be back when it’s ready

For now ensure your Home point is clear for a good few meters

For me I always use a huge clearing for my home point..

Even PRO Stunt helicopter pilots don’t try to land there bird in between tress
2019-2-13
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
First Officer
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Renames Posted at 2-13 05:15
Guys clearly Presition Landing is having some unexpected side effect that’s causing a much bigger issue then your drone missing your take of point a few meters..

It will be back when it’s ready

Can confirm. I was able to safely make it up around these tree branches for this one shot but honestly flying in the forest is nerve racking! Highly recommend launching from a nice wide open area
2019-2-14
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>
Germany

DH_Pilot Posted at 2-12 21:29
That is really shocking news especially when they finally gave it back in 0200. Really disapointed.

@DJI

Don't know when it came back but I'm on latest software versions and it's doing it pretty well.
That's good enough for me. I tested it today and it makes no difference if I use auto take off or take off manually.
2019-2-15
Use props
DH_Pilot
Captain
  • >>>
Slovakia

I have tested it today, 1st test it came back - wrote Precision Landing - correcting position on screen and landed nearly within milimeteres correctly. 2nd test came back - wrote Precision landing - correcting position on screen and started landing about 3 meters off. So something is definitely not good in this SW version. I will try do recalibration of vision system and will see.
2019-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules