The Mavic 2 Canibalism has started already
2203 19 2018-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Not much a surprise but a bit faster than usual. Some will very much like the second video ;-). I am not at all affiliated to the author, only discovered them right now. And as I always like to say, DO NOT try this at home! Here we go:

2018-8-30
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Some people have a lot more money to play with than I do.
2018-8-30
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

Paul_IA Posted at 2018-8-30 14:39

I believe he is actually earning his income with doing exacly this with all kind of products but I haven't checked his channel to be honest.
2018-8-30
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Paul_IA Posted at 2018-8-30 14:39

Well, I totally understand what you mean, but if he knows what he's doing (and it seems to me that he does), the money paid hasn't waporiced, just because of disassembling the drone. It's still there to be assembled again and to fly with after that.

Thank you for finding and shareing the videos Wachtberger.
2018-8-30
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

How long before it ends up on Will It Blend?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnFP0IU4gpnmcLnVzDLUtfw
2018-8-30
Use props
Novadesigns
lvl.2

I'm actually wondering if there is more to the camera swap than just removing and replacing the hardware module... maybe some on board firmware or something. I suspect that we might see a camera module for sale from DJI down the road, which would be pretty cool.

Although for me the 1" sensor is all I have wanted for the past two years flying the Mavic Pro and a 2x zoom a 1/2.3 quality really doesn't interest me. I'm loving the Pro!
2018-8-30
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

ya but we all have done this so close your eyes if you haven't lol
2018-8-30
Use props
AuroraHunter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 938012 ft
United States

Maybe the Enterprise version will have swapable cameras
2018-8-30
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-30 15:16
How long before it ends up on Will It Blend?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnFP0IU4gpnmcLnVzDLUtfw

This is hilarious, thank you very much!
2018-8-31
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

Novadesigns Posted at 2018-8-30 15:22
I'm actually wondering if there is more to the camera swap than just removing and replacing the hardware module... maybe some on board firmware or something. I suspect that we might see a camera module for sale from DJI down the road, which would be pretty cool.

Although for me the 1" sensor is all I have wanted for the past two years flying the Mavic Pro and a 2x zoom a 1/2.3 quality really doesn't interest me. I'm loving the Pro!

You nailed it, the camera module itself is too small to hold all the electronics, a part of them is inside the body. Thus I believe it is not as easy as it looks to swap the cameras.
2018-8-31
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

It's going to have a completely different SOC for the image processing amongst other things.  Thats not going to fit inside the tiny camera, especially on the zoom.  There'll be a board or similar inside somewhere.
Most likely ribbon cable connected.
2018-8-31
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-31 01:43
It's going to have a completely different SOC for the image processing amongst other things.  Thats not going to fit inside the tiny camera, especially on the zoom.  There'll be a board or similar inside somewhere.
Most likely ribbon cable connected.

Exactly, here is a quote from one of the developers and a link to the full review he wrote (there are interesting additional details in his answers to reader questions at the bottom of the page: https://blog.mingthein.com/2018/ ... mavic-2-pro-review/

M2P Camera.JPG
2018-8-31
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Ahh interesting.  I read his blog the day it came out but there weren't readers questions by then,

Edit:- lots of useful info there.  Confirmed stills are 12/14 bit for starters.  Thats a big boost from the MP.
2018-8-31
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

educational disembowelment lol
2018-8-31
Use props
Mark_One
lvl.3
Flight distance : 112123 ft
South Africa

Not surprised either, inevitable really as you alluded to.
2018-8-31
Use props
RichInGa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 449344 ft
United States

I was glad someone else did that. I love seeing the insides of things like this -- even as a 4 year old kid I'd play with my electronic toys christmas morning and take them apart that night to see how they worked.  I watched, found it interesting.
2018-9-2
Use props
Mikem691
lvl.4
Flight distance : 247474 ft

Not my video but here you go!

2018-9-2
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

Mikem691 Posted at 2018-9-2 14:23
Not my video but here you go!

Very interesting indeed, but the purely technical functionality does not provide the evidence yet that the footage quality will also be the same. Only once someone will credibly demonstrate that, we can know that this guy in the video is right. On the other side it can well be that in the interest of production efficiency, the camera board inside the Mavic 2 has all it needs for both cameras and it doesn't matter which one is attached at the end of the day.
2018-9-2
Use props
Mikem691
lvl.4
Flight distance : 247474 ft

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-2 14:42
Very interesting indeed, but the purely technical functionality does not provide the evidence yet that the footage quality will also be the same. Only once someone will credibly demonstrate that, we can know that this guy in the video is right. On the other side it can well be that in the interest of production efficiency, the camera board inside the Mavic 2 has all it needs for both cameras and it doesn't matter which one is attached at the end of the day.

Very true. He does not say if he is going to do more testing or not.
2018-9-2
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

Mikem691 Posted at 2018-9-2 14:49
Very true. He does not say if he is going to do more testing or not.

To be honest I believe that in real life the future swapping option to be offered by DJI will be mostly used for replacing the Zoom camera with the Hasselblad one. While the Zoom is nice with its features, you can't use them all the time and many might have the wish to upgrade to the better camera after a while. And for them I find it great that this option will be available without being obliged to buy a new drone.
2018-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules