Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro 2-Gimbal Overload Error
870923 870923 2018-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NJ-Drone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8446460 ft
United States

Hello-  Has anyone had issues with getting an error "Gimbal Overload"?   Right after my first flight this started happening.   I am able to adjust the gimbal and set it in place, but it happens about 50 percent of the time.  I have calibrated IMU and compass, refreshed the software, deleted and downloaded the app again.  I do not see any obstructions near the gimbal.  Also, have not crashed or dropped the aircraft.   Any suggestions would be great.   I am familiar with DJI products so I have gone hrough all the basic troubleshooting.  
Thanks
2018-8-30
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Don,t know about M2P, but the Mavic Air had the same error message, which was the DJI App, and not the drone itself. Was said to ignore the message until APP gets updated.
Hope it is the same for you, and not a hardware problem....
2018-8-30
Use props
NJ-Drone
lvl.2
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-30 23:52
Don,t know about M2P, but the Mavic Air had the same error message, which was the DJI App, and not the drone itself. Was said to ignore the message until APP gets updated.
Hope it is the same for you, and not a hardware problem....

Thank you.   I did see some posts about the air and also the original mavic pro.   It  has been annoying more than anything.   I can't be the only person having this issue..  I sent DJI a bug ticket.  Hopefully I get some answers
2018-8-30
Use props
fans06d8ab26
lvl.1
Flight distance : 992795 ft

I have the same issue.  Gimbal on startup says overload.  I have tried IMU and Gimbal calibration.  IMU seems to go fine.  Gimbal Calibration sticks at 10% and won't advance.  
2018-8-31
Use props
NJ-Drone
lvl.2
United States

Did you try to center the gjmbal manually while the aircraft is on?   Not too much, just so itt resets and faces straight forward.    That works sometimes, but most times I am  restarting.   I hope to hear something back today.
2018-8-31
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience caused. Can you please try to calibrate your gimbal via DJI Go 4 app? Let's see if this will work. Thank you.
2018-8-31
Use props
travelswithlewi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 241109 ft
United Kingdom

Same issue here, flew the new Mavic last night (3 separate flights) and the gimbal overload error popped up at least once. It appeared to rectify itself shortly after takeoff, what does it actually mean "gimbal overload"? Does it mean there isn't enough room for the gimbal to manoeuvre itself/setup - for example grass, or rocks in the way?
2018-8-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

travelswithlewi Posted at 2018-8-31 13:05
Same issue here, flew the new Mavic last night (3 separate flights) and the gimbal overload error popped up at least once. It appeared to rectify itself shortly after takeoff, what does it actually mean "gimbal overload"? Does it mean there isn't enough room for the gimbal to manoeuvre itself/setup - for example grass, or rocks in the way?

Hi, Sorry for the inconvenience. if ever that you encountered this issue, meaning, the gimbal cannot move freely for some reason. I would suggest calibrating the gimbal before flying and please keep us posted if the issue will persist. Thank you for the support.
2018-8-31
Use props
NJ-Drone
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-31 15:03
Hi, Sorry for the inconvenience. if ever that you encountered this issue, meaning, the gimbal cannot move freely for some reason. I would suggest calibrating the gimbal before flying and please keep us posted if the issue will persist. Thank you for the support.

I did not have any issues tonight when I flew, but that does not mean it will not happen in the future.   Besides calibrating, is there any other procedures out there for this' issue.  I see  from some of the other threads and also my post, that it is a legitimate issue.
2018-8-31
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

I think the Gimbals are getting Rocked around during shipping and scratched even with the Gimbal cover go to 4:00 minute mark  so DJI needs to secure them better.

2018-8-31
Use props
NJ-Drone
lvl.2
United States

Kingram Posted at 2018-8-31 18:34
I think the Gimbals are getting Rocked around during shipping and scratched even with the Gimbal cover go to 4:00 minute mark  so DJI needs to secure them better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= ... 2eCF4ZgbIoDVeBs%3A6

I bet they get tossed around like garbage.  Do you think FedEx shipping cares about your $1700 drone? I thought the boxing was pretty solid, but how much abuse happens from China to the US?   I noticed the scratches on the gimbal cover also....not so much the gimbal itself.  
2018-9-1
Use props
NJ-Drone
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-8-31 15:03

Thank you or the suggestion.  Unfortunately, when the gimbal shows this error,  we are unable to calibrate.  It stops at 10 percent and the aircraft needs to be rebooted.   I actually refreshed the controller firmware last night.  I booted up the aircraft 1st and the controller 2nd.  Did not receive the error 2 times. so far.   Fingers crossed
2018-9-1
Use props
sammy98
New
United States

Got a brand new Mavic Pro 2 for 1 day straight from DJI. Just flying it around in my living room. It hit the dining table about 3 feet high and crashed. Now got an error that the Gimbal is overload alternating with Obstructed error. Make sure the clamp is removed. I tried everything I could find from the forum and google, including calibrating it 5 times and got stuck at 10% each time. Found that every single Mavic pro/pro2 owner had this problem.  This is a major FLAW with DJI. Had I known this issue can occur with just harsh landing or a few feet high crash, I would not have bought this drone. DJI, please do something about this issue. $1500 drone should be able to withstand a  3 feet high crash. it's useless unless I send it to get it repair , which will cost hundreds.
2018-9-1
Use props
HotAirFL
lvl.2
United States

Same issue here. Got my Mavic 2 Pro and on first flight attempt got the "gimbal overload error". Powered the drone down and back up twice, then it started working. Flew about 30 min. All good. Went out again today for 2nd flight, gimbal overload error again. Once again, powered the drone off an back on and it went away. Gimbal appears free and clear in both attempts. Not sure what is happening just yet. If it happens again I will open a ticket.
2018-9-1
Use props
ccarmona119
lvl.1

United States

I have the same problem now. Yesterday it worked flawless three bats, today after the first flight got the error and cannot get it to work yet. HELP PLEASE!!!
2018-9-1
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

sammy98 Posted at 2018-9-1 13:10
Got a brand new Mavic Pro 2 for 1 day straight from DJI. Just flying it around in my living room. It hit the dining table about 3 feet high and crashed. Now got an error that the Gimbal is overload alternating with Obstructed error. Make sure the clamp is removed. I tried everything I could find from the forum and google, including calibrating it 5 times and got stuck at 10% each time. Found that every single Mavic pro/pro2 owner had this problem.  This is a major FLAW with DJI. Had I known this issue can occur with just harsh landing or a few feet high crash, I would not have bought this drone. DJI, please do something about this issue. $1500 drone should be able to withstand a  3 feet high crash. it's useless unless I send it to get it repair , which will cost hundreds.

Never had this problem with MP AND MP2 PRO ans ZOOM. Hope you learned your lesson about NOT flying in your living room!
2018-9-1
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am reading EVERY Thread of both 2 Pro and 2 Zoom

"Hope you learned your lesson about NOT flying in your living room!"  <--  This makes the MOST sense!!

I have had an Inspire 1 for 3 years ( 1 died due to battery failure ) and I built an F450 DJI drone...and now have both an Inspire 1 as well as a Phantom 4 Pro.......at NO time did I ever think it prudent to fly a BRAND New AC in my livingroom.

I fly between Palm trees and Chimneys to get roof inspections done.....and I'm still NOT flying in my livingroom.

Good luck with whatEV

Randy
2018-9-1
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

I got the gimbal overload message just BEFORE my FIRST flight. I had placed a small carpet on short grass, placed the M2P on top of it. I check so the gimbal did not touch the carpet, and powered the app/RC/drone up, and I had Gimbal Overload.

I lifted up the Mavic, put it down again, did some normal settings in the app (RTH height, camera settings etc.), and the Gimbal Overload went away sometime during this.

I wonder what triggers the message though. The gimbal was not touching anything.
2018-9-1
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-8-31 12:55
Hi, sorry for the inconvenience caused. Can you please try to calibrate your gimbal via DJI Go 4 app? Let's see if this will work. Thank you.

I think he said he had already done that
2018-9-1
Use props
Bigplumbs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>

I think it might be to do with the heavy camera on the Mavic Pro 2. Before you switch on make sure the camera is centred might help.

I was wondering if anyone else has had their gimbal fall of the glue
2018-9-1
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

NJ-Drone Posted at 2018-9-1 00:41
Thank you or the suggestion.  Unfortunately, when the gimbal shows this error,  we are unable to calibrate.  It stops at 10 percent and the aircraft needs to be rebooted.   I actually refreshed the controller firmware last night.  I booted up the aircraft 1st and the controller 2nd.  Did not receive the error 2 times. so far.   Fingers crossed

Hi, Thanks for your response. I would recommend downloading the DJI Assistant 2 to your computer and restore factory defaults the drone then refresh the firmware to see if there will be changes. I would recommend as well rebooting the drone once you've done using the application and re-calibrate the gimbal of your drone. Please let us know if the issue will persist. Kindly see the link below for you to download the DJI Assistant 2. Thank you.

https://www.dji.com/mavic-2/info#downloads
2018-9-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

sammy98 Posted at 2018-9-1 13:10

Hi, Sorry on what happened to your drone. Could you please try to follow the troubleshooting that I provided on the post #21 to see if the issue will persist? However, I'll be honest the if the issue will be the same. I would recommend sending the unit to our facility for further evaluation to the drone since the unit experience an incident. Please see the link below in any case you need to reach out our team. Thank you.

www.dji.com/service
2018-9-3
Use props
Brian Hawkins
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2745971 ft
  • >>>
United States

Had the same problem starting from the very first flight on my M2P.  Gimbal starts shaking and I get the overload warning.  Calibrated IMU, compass, and gimbal but no improvement.  Contacted DJI and they are going to replace the drone,  thankfully.  Here's footage from first test flight showing the problem.  
2018-9-3
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Brian Hawkins Posted at 2018-9-3 09:07
Had the same problem starting from the very first flight on my M2P.  Gimbal starts shaking and I get the overload warning.  Calibrated IMU, compass, and gimbal but no improvement.  Contacted DJI and they are going to replace the drone,  thankfully.  Here's footage from first test flight showing the problem.  https://vimeo.com/287735587/e634c2829f

Hi, Sorry for the troubles that it caused, however, glad to know that you were able to reach our team for us to provide an appropriate resolution. Thank you for the support.
2018-9-3
Use props
cap7ainclu7ch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41683 ft
United States

Same issue!  Flew it for one day, gimbal freaked out midflight out of nowhere, managed to land it.  All I get is "gimbal overloaded" with no response from any input.  Won't get past 10% on the calibration (doesn't even move).
2018-9-3
Use props
fans3964a3f1
New
United States

Same issue here! Contacted support and asked for an exchange. Multiple issues going on.Gimbal overload
Trasmission lost
Gimbal does not move upon startup
Cannot calibrate

Hopefully this is all fast tracked to get resolved. Very disappointed after hearing so many good reviews.
2018-9-3
Use props
cap7ainclu7ch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41683 ft
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-9-3 09:58
Hi, Sorry for the troubles that it caused, however, glad to know that you were able to reach our team for us to provide an appropriate resolution. Thank you for the support.

Does DJI have any idea whats causing all these gimbal overload problems?  I want to buy another one, but I honestly don't trust that this isn't a catastrophic flaw that will eventually impact a large percentage of them.
2018-9-4
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

I believe DJI needs to put a piece of foam rubber behind the Gimbal and secure it better so it doesn't bang around during shipping causing these scratches and failures , so how long will it take for them to implement  this 3-6 months ?
2018-9-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

cap7ainclu7ch Posted at 2018-9-4 15:30
Does DJI have any idea whats causing all these gimbal overload problems?  I want to buy another one, but I honestly don't trust that this isn't a catastrophic flaw that will eventually impact a large percentage of them.

Hi, Thanks for your inquiry. Normally, it occurs when we haven't removed the gimbal clamp that holds the gimbal and avoids to move freely or if the drone experiences an incident that may lead to the gimbal problem.
2018-9-9
Use props
byhead
lvl.3
United States

I just ordered the MPro2 w flymore.  Due friday 9-14-18. Mavic pro1 mine, has the same problem.
Never left gim clamp in place. Just all of a sudden gim freak!  I am scared...
Why are these gimbal overloads happening on BOTH RIGS!!!!
2018-9-11
Use props
JDPhoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 125863 ft
United States

Yes, I just experienced this problem today during my flight.  About 12 minutes into the flight, the gimbal started shaking.  I landed and I was getting a message that the gimbal motor was overloaded.  No obstructions, so I restarted, but the same message continues and the gimbal just points up.  Clear day with a 10mph breeze. I've tried recalibrating the gimbal, but it gets stuck at 10%. Gimbal status just says "restarting".  So bummed! Can I return it or how do I proceed with a warranty claim.  I've been flying DJI drones for 3 years and I've never seen anything like this.
2018-9-11
Use props
JDPhoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 125863 ft
United States

Brian Hawkins Posted at 2018-9-3 09:07
Had the same problem starting from the very first flight on my M2P.  Gimbal starts shaking and I get the overload warning.  Calibrated IMU, compass, and gimbal but no improvement.  Contacted DJI and they are going to replace the drone,  thankfully.  Here's footage from first test flight showing the problem.  https://vimeo.com/287735587/e634c2829f

Brian, what method did you use to contact DJI for the replacement?  DJI support page? When I've had questions for them before on an order, it would take days  to get an answer.  I'd like to make sure I'm contacting them through the best channel.
2018-9-12
Use props
TheKyle2000
lvl.1
Flight distance : 35607 ft
United States

Me too. My Mavic 2 Pro had gimbal overload problems before I ever flew it. It only happens at startup. I have to power on/off many times. During startup sometimes it doesn't move at all. Other times it goes to the first corner and stops. A few times it has continued to move erratically at startup. Once it works I have had no problems in flight. It seemed to be progressively getting worse so I mailed it in for service. I used the customer support chat to initiate the repair. They gave me some trouble because I activated 17 days prior but they did email me the ups shipping label. I ordered from dji.com. It was beyond the 14 days that they care about their customers. I should have ordered from Amazon, they would probably cover me better for 30 days.
2018-9-17
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 617405 ft
United States

I got it once deep in the mountains while using the PoI feature and I had to interrupt and do a RTH. When it got closer to me, I was able to move the Gimbal again and sent it back out.
Not sure why either. I believe the M2P was perhaps 500m away and about 5,000-6,000 ft above sea-level.
2018-9-19
Use props
Maker-Table
New

Same issue here, tried calibrating IMU, calibrating compass, calibration routine in the DJI assistant 2 software, updating firmware, restarting drone and cussing.  Nothing has solved this issue.  This drone is literally 1 day old with no crashes, dings, hard landings or broken props.  Zero damage and it's broken.  I expected more for the price.   I also tried to restore to factory settings like post #21 suggests but see no where in the program to make this change, "refresh firmware" is the only option in the software.   HELP
2018-9-29
Use props
fansaeba383d
New

I have been getting gimbal motor overload messages on most flights.  At first the warning would pop up and remain until I landed .  After I updated the firmware the warning message will disappear, but may return.  I have some flights with no gimbal motor overload warning, but they are the exception.  I shoot mainly still images and I have not noticed that the overload affects image quality.
2018-9-30
Use props
fans6486abf4
lvl.1

Bolivia

Anyone? Gimbal overload error and the gimbal icon dissapear from DJI go4 app
2018-10-12
Use props
artheck
lvl.2
Flight distance : 536900 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Same here, gimbal overloaded problem on most flights, happens when flying sideways. Also I noticed a separate problem  of the horizon line getting messed up on many shots. This is really dissapointing. Apart from that this is a great drone.
2018-10-12
Use props
artheck
lvl.2
  • >>>
Poland

I have started a separate thread on my issue, but so far didn't get the solution: https://forum.dji.com/thread-169219-1-1.html
2018-10-12
Use props
artheck
lvl.2
  • >>>
Poland

Quick update: I got a reply from DJI technical support and they have asked me to send the drone back as part as the DOA procedure (serious issue reported less than 14 day after the purchase). Hope I will get a replacement soon, as I don't want to miss the autumn shooting.
2018-10-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules