Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin-S, Atomos, GH5/GH5s, Follow Focus
2063 11 2018-8-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans0c25d275
lvl.1
United States

Hello,
New to the forums but I wanted to post about an issue I've been experiencing. I have a GH5s mounted on a Ronin-S using the tether mode with the follow focus wheel and simultaneously trying to monitor and record HDMI 4k 60p 10-bit. I'm experiencing an issue where randomly, the motors will shut down after a few minutes of using the gimbal with the HDMI and Tether mode for Follow Focus attached, sometimes acting sporadically and "twitching", I mean the motors flips the camera around like a rag doll. It doesn't happen in intervals but it does happen very often, almost every time I'm using the HDMI and Tether. When the motors do shut off, unplugging the the RSS cable springs the motors back to life and the camera and gimbal function like normal. I don't think this happens when I just use the Tether option but that limits some of the potential use I had for this setup. Different HDMI cables don't solve the issue but I'd imagine it's the Tether option in combination with the HDMI output causing this bug to happen. Both the camera and gimbal are on the very latest firmwares.

Does anyone else experience this issue?

2018-8-30
Use props
Jesaul
lvl.4
Netherlands

I had issue when my calibration was  bad. And it was a kind of motor protection. After properly calibrating, it does not happen.
2018-8-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, sorry for the troubles with Ronin-S, just to verify, are you using RSS cable? Any chance to upload a short video for further analysis? Thank you in advance.
2018-8-31
Use props
jlunaramirez63
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-8-31 03:23
Hi there, sorry for the troubles with Ronin-S, just to verify, are you using RSS cable? Any chance to upload a short video for further analysis? Thank you in advance.

Hello,

Yes, I am using the RSS cable supplied in the Ronin-S package. I own a GH5s and use the RSS to USB-C.

I will test some more with just the cable but as of right now, using the HDMI and RSS cable in combination, causes the motors to stop working after a few minutes. It happens randomly. I will post a video but for now, I have a link to a video on FaceBook, which a user on there is faxing the same issue:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1731562246894857/permalink/2017184208332658/

There is a video within this thread with the exact issue I face.
2018-9-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jlunaramirez63 Posted at 2018-9-2 16:59
Hello,

Yes, I am using the RSS cable supplied in the Ronin-S package. I own a GH5s and use the RSS to USB-C.

Sorry that I'm unable to enter this link since I am not a member of this group, could you please post the video to YouTube and post the link here? Thank you very much.
2018-9-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi jlunaramirez63, may I have an update of your issue? Did you try other external monitors to see if the issue persists?
2018-9-6
Use props
jlunaramirez63
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-6 23:42
Hi jlunaramirez63, may I have an update of your issue? Did you try other external monitors to see if the issue persists?

Hello,

I don’t own any other monitors other than an Atomos 7” recorder. I can also try with a TV connected to the HDMI.

I’ve been quite busy lately so it’s been difficult to record a video but I do have another user who posted here on the forums a video that shows the issues I have.

https://vimeo.com/288244607

There are a lot of posts on here about this very issue I have been experiencing. Tonight I’ll look at my setup and record a video but as of now, I still experience this issue. Any updates from engineers on a fix?
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jlunaramirez63 Posted at 2018-9-7 17:01
Hello,

I don’t own any other monitors other than an Atomos 7” recorder. I can also try with a TV connected to the HDMI.

Thanks for getting back to us, this issue has been forwarded to our engineers for testing, we are waiting for the feedback, I will let us know once we hear from them.
2018-9-8
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Fans, welcome to the club.  Including you, there are now at least  four of us who are coming forward with variations of pretty much the exact same issue.   All with GH5 or GH5s.  I was only seeing this problem when I had a particular external monitor attached, but now I see the problem all the time.  In addition, I now see problems with the M button and the trigger (randomly) not doing anything, problems with the pan motor not trying to keep the camera facing forward, and the record button randomly not working.  I have had my camera violently shaken after the gimbals went limp a minute earlier, so be careful, it can get bad really quickly.  Anyway, starting to look like a control issue when the gimbal is connected to the GH5 and GH5s.  Some believe the problems only exist when shooting 4k 60P (or 50P), but I was humiliated in a shoot yesterday with clients when my gimbal wouldn't work for any longer than a few minutes before having one of several problems.  one problem included shaking the camera so wildly that the USB-C cord (plugged into the camera) took a hit and completely bent it...  not good for the port on the camera.  Anyway, keep us posted.  We are all in this together and there will probably be more adding to this conversation.
2018-9-8
Use props
jlunaramirez63
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-8 02:09
Thanks for getting back to us, this issue has been forwarded to our engineers for testing, we are waiting for the feedback, I will let us know once we hear from them.

Any updates on this issue?
2018-9-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jlunaramirez63 Posted at 2018-9-29 18:03
Any updates on this issue?

Sorry, we haven't received the feedback from the R&D engineers, I will push them, appreciate your patience.
2018-9-30
Use props
LAStory
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53862 ft
United States

Well Mindy, you could be honest and tell him that the problem is widespread, has been reported long ago, and has been mostly ignored by DJI:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D531%26typeid%3D531
2018-10-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules