Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air went Crazy
2949 22 2018-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MaikR
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322087 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi,

I was flyng when suddenly the drone started reacting strange. It was completly out of control for a few seconds and after that it feld like it ws in ATTI mode, but it stil stated GPS-P.
Brought it back and when it was a few meters away it reacte normal again. What the hell was going on?

flight log: https://app.airdata.com/flight/4 ... ENERALNotifications
Also synced my flight records to the cloud.

kind regards, Maik
2018-8-31
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
Flight distance : 12165479 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi Maik,

At first sight nothing to be found in your flight record. At what time does the video starts? (flight from 0.1 to 6m 25s).

cheers
JJB
2018-8-31
Use props
MaikR
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

The video starts 4:00... the first 4 minutes, no strange issues
2018-8-31
Use props
hugoleveille
lvl.3
Flight distance : 370174 ft
Canada

Had the same issue:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-162931-1-1.html

Were you flying straight line? The 2 times this happened to me, I was flying dead straight for minutes and started to get imu error when I turned

I don’t trust the drone anymore
2018-8-31
Use props
MaikR
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I was flying in a circle around the windmill...
2018-8-31
Use props
MaikR
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

hugoleveille Posted at 2018-8-31 08:01
Had the same issue:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-162931-1-1.html

Had a phantom with issues, a spark that almost flies away and now this one.... don’t trust DJI anymore ...
2018-8-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It looks like a gimbal problem, calibrate IMU and gimbal, make sure to calibrate IMU on a very level surface and it should be done cold, then calibrate gimbal, see if that helps.
2018-8-31
Use props
MaikR
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-31 08:53
It looks like a gimbal problem, calibrate IMU and gimbal, make sure to calibrate IMU on a very level surface and it should be done cold, then calibrate gimbal, see if that helps.

Will try that again... hou often should IMU be calibrated
2018-8-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MaikR Posted at 2018-8-31 09:13
Will try that again... hou often should IMU be calibrated

It shouldn’t be often, but good IMU is essential to good working aircraft, I will try explain below.

IMU "Inertial measurement unit" .

As far as I see it, IMU calibration on a level surface updates a table of values the flight controller software uses as a reference for a level stationary hover. From there the craft responds predictably to flight commands.  It also likely measures any sensor noise and thermal drift so that these technical imperfections are accounted for when using IMU sensor data in flight. - this is likely why there must be no vibrations during the calibration process.

Bad IMU calibration could cause drift and attitude issues as the flight controller fights to hold the craft in what it thinks is the correct attitude as opposed to the correct physical attitude.

The IMU usually has 2 types of sensors – angle and acceleration and in turn 3 sensors of each type measuring in the X,Y and Z axis. These sensors can, through vibration, aging, impact etc, drift in their response over time and thus an IMU calibration will establish a new reference for the IMU’s level/stationary state that the flight controller can work with to restore stable flight.

Think of calibration as the bringing back into line the measured craft attitude with the true physical craft attitude.

As to how often an IMU calibration is needed, Refer to your manual ; certainly after any impact or if there are suspicions the craft can’t hover in a level attitude in a windless environment.
2018-8-31
Use props
rwynant V1
Captain
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

Started flight with 60% showing for the battery

ANOTHER flight gone wrong starting a flight without a full battery!!!  There are crashed, near crashed, ocean crash, tree crash, loss of control crash, ran out of battery crash threads all over this forum..........

"one of the common denominators " is in fact starting the flight without a full battery!!!!!!!!!!

A LiPo battery showing 30% battery on the screen, and the cells showing 3.62/cell is NOT 30%........more like 18%

Many of us in this thread have seen this, and reported this to be true.......pass the word!

Randy

2018-8-31
Use props
fans118730f5
New
Bulgaria

hello I have a problem with crash. Can you help me.
Somebody can say me, did I can repair the camera because from crash she take off from my Mavic air.
2018-8-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans118730f5 Posted at 2018-8-31 10:38
hello I have a problem with crash. Can you help me.
Somebody can say me, did I can repair the camera because from crash she take off from my Mavic air.

Can you put up flight log link below.

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2018-8-31
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

MaikR Posted at 2018-8-31 07:52
The video starts 4:00... the first 4 minutes, no strange issues

Thanks, nope, normal values for pitch roll ect. RC commands are followed by the drone.
Must be the gimbal doing funny movements.

Only at the end of your flight (at 5m 39s) a OSD voltage warning is set in the flightlog. Do not know what that means.
Best is to calibrate IMU and gimbal and see the next flights if it persists or not.

cheers
JJB

2018-8-31
Use props
fans369d72f1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 107575 ft
United Arab Emirates

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-8-31 10:10
Started flight with 60% showing for the battery

ANOTHER flight gone wrong starting a flight without a full battery!!!  There are crashed, near crashed, ocean crash, tree crash, loss of control crash, ran out of battery crash threads all over this forum..........

I”m new to this......      can you elaborate why starting the flight at 60% battery would cause the issue?
Seems nonsense that the issue is linked to the battery %?
2018-9-1
Use props
MaikR
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I have again calibrated the IMU and the gimbal... do not think it is a battery issue...
2018-9-1
Use props
Ali23g
lvl.1
United Arab Emirates

MaikR Posted at 2018-9-1 05:53
I have again calibrated the IMU and the gimbal... do not think it is a battery issue...

Of course not: whether 100%, 80, 60, 40, 20, 10 or 1% the battery power will not affect how the AC performs, until of course, it falls out of the sky :-) Same as a car with a full fuel tank doesn’t have better performance than a car with 5 litres fuel left... (might be the opposite as it’s lighter with less fuel :-0)..
2018-9-1
Use props
JJBspark
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ali23g Posted at 2018-9-1 07:42
Of course not: whether 100%, 80, 60, 40, 20, 10 or 1% the battery power will not affect how the AC performs, until of course, it falls out of the sky :-) Same as a car with a full fuel tank doesn’t have better performance than a car with 5 litres fuel left... (might be the opposite as it’s lighter with less fuel :-0)..

So true....but what if 1 cylinder doesn`t get a spark....petrol-wise oke but resulting in bad engine behaviour.
What if 60% batt power is there, but 1 cell doesn`t want to deliver....

Voltage peaks/drops can do fun things to circuit boards etc, so never rule out that in electronics.

But i agree, do not think in this case that there is a voltage error, having said that...in the file is a voltage warning at the end....

cheers
JJB
2018-9-1
Use props
Ali23g
lvl.1
United Kingdom

JJBspark Posted at 2018-9-1 11:36
So true....but what if 1 cylinder doesn`t get a spark....petrol-wise oke but resulting in bad engine behaviour.
What if 60% batt power is there, but 1 cell doesn`t want to deliver....

Yup, at the end but is likely this voltage error would exist even if the flight had started at 100% battery... which was kind of my point. Avoid jumping to conclusions in the failure analysis.

The forum is quite interesting for me, as my day to day job is failure analysis and root cause identification and remedial work plan development for downhole tools: telemetry systems and batteries up to 15km down oil wells.... same principals apply when the drones gone wrong...

Usually failure relate to:
a) Equipment Failure (calibration, motor failure, short,)
b) lack of adherence to procedure. (low battery, trees, buildings, stupidity)

From what I see on the forum, the majority of fly aways seems to fall into b)

In this case though, my impression was that although starting at 60% battery may not be recommended procedure, it was not the cause of the equipment failure.

2018-9-1
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. We apologize for the inconvenience. Did you try to refresh the firmware using DJI Assistant 2?
2018-9-5
Use props
Cyril-Fr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 106552 ft
France

Same problem than all pilots since 0400 firmware. The suicide mode created by DJI and put inside the code work perfectly.
The Mavic air in 0300 is the best drone on the market, in 0400 he become instable and attempt to destroy itself.

You can found lot of video like this on youtube :

2018-9-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Seems like a gimbal disconnection during flight...
2018-9-5
Use props
Cyril-Fr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 106552 ft
France

The Gimbal work well, the drone is moving to the floor.
2018-9-5
Use props
MaikR
Second Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-5 06:23
Hi. We apologize for the inconvenience. Did you try to refresh the firmware using DJI Assistant 2?

New flight Deens to be oke. There must be something wrong.... I have recalibrated imu, compass and gimbal.
2018-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules