Mavic 2 PRO - Lens distortion
22609 155 2018-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

For those who still say it's so easy to correct in post ... i normally work with after effects and use premiere pro only for final editing as i often do extended compositing and VFX. Let's say i am happy with the fix from the YT guy. It can only be used in Premiere not directly in AE. So i have two options. Open the footage in premiere and render it out with the correction applied for further use in AE. But to maintain image quality and prevent another compression stage i have to use at least a high profile codec like Avid's DNxHD which takes a lot more space than the original footage. The other option is to open it in Premiere, apply the fix and than take the sequence in AE via dynamic link. But than the whole compositing and VFX process will slow down unacceptable. If i would only use the footage in premiere for grading and editing it would be ok.
2018-9-6
Use props
Cmartin3977
lvl.4
Flight distance : 304744 ft

It’s a nice feeling paying a premium price for a product with clear multiple defects and issues .... thanks DJI You fail.
2018-9-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

For those having problems with Lens distortion processing, and doing videoing for profit vs. hobby, you might want to consider moving up from Mavic-2.  Going with old adage of Time is Money.  There is also frustration factor.  Finally, issue of distracting you, taking away from creativity.
2018-9-6
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

You mean move up to an inspire?  Which requires post processing due to lens distortion.
Or a DSLR hanging off a Matrice...which requires post processing due to lens distortion?
2018-9-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-6 10:35
You mean move up to an inspire?  Which requires post processing due to lens distortion.
Or a DSLR hanging off a Matrice...which requires post processing due to lens distortion?

In my experience with owning an expensive professional camera, and decent lens; along with renting several professional lens; the lens distortions with higher end cameras / lens are not as severe.  I would say more like minor.  With ensuring spot-on focusing and correct focus-depth being bigger issue.
2018-9-6
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-6 10:35

That is something to consider if you are a fulltime professional. Than i would have and use the money,
the team and hardware for a whole different production chain. And at this stage it would be totally unaccaptable to not have the required correction profiles or you maybe would have the time and knowledge or even a third party to create one for yourself.
It seems that's the problem if you use prosumer products. It's too much money to accept the lack of support and to cheap to really get it ;-)
2018-9-6
Use props
CaptureAZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141 ft
United States

I made a quick video about it -

Basically, the "fix" does correct most of it, but it still does not result in a perfectly flat horizon.  It'll be easier to fix in photos you take with the drone, but all but impossible to totally get rid of.  

I'm hoping DJI does eventually fix this, because it's pretty obvious, distracting, and inexcusable.  Even if you shoot in the "normal" color space, the lumps are still there on the top left and right.  And if you add more negative curvature in Premiere Pro, the image really gets distorted and ugly.
2018-9-6
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

I think DJI should decrease a little bit the font of 'Blad' on the camera front
2018-9-6
Use props
fansffd6ad4f
lvl.1

Andrejs Posted at 2018-9-3 12:46
Really?  What version do you have? Maybe it is studio? Officially it is supported only in studio. Strange

THis is really strange. I have two machines with W10 and free version of resolve.
I can open h265 from the mavic on the laptop machine. I can't open the files on the desktop. Both machines are running the same version of resolve.
W T H?
2018-9-6
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1730177 ft
Latvia

fansffd6ad4f Posted at 2018-9-6 22:25
THis is really strange. I have two machines with W10 and free version of resolve.
I can open h265 from the mavic on the laptop machine. I can't open the files on the desktop. Both machines are running the same version of resolve.
W T H?

Sounds strange =)
2018-9-6
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-6 10:29
For those having problems with Lens distortion processing, and doing videoing for profit vs. hobby, you might want to consider moving up from Mavic-2.  Going with old adage of Time is Money.  There is also frustration factor.  Finally, issue of distracting you, taking away from creativity.

I'm interested to know which fish-eye you're using on the Inspire.
2018-9-7
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

But it’s a Hasselblad... how can this be??? ;)
2018-9-7
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

still no fix ? will there be one ? waiting on this to know if i buy or not :/
2018-9-12
Use props
Mike Warren
lvl.2
Flight distance : 421532 ft
Australia

Andrejs Posted at 2018-8-31 22:50
Looks like this problem only for me problem?

It's a problem for me too. This has stopped me from buying a M2P. Although it's a fairly easy job to correct in post, doing so will degrade the video quality. It needs to be corrected at the source, before it is encoded to video and only DJI can do that.
2018-9-12
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Latvia

I don't see reasons why not to buy it only because of this If you plan to color grade 10bit footage than it is not a problem for you to correct it in post.
If you plan to shoot without color grading in post there is distortion correction in Mavic 2 PRO.
2018-9-13
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Andrejs Posted at 2018-9-13 01:21
I don't see reasons why not to buy it only because of this  If you plan to color grade 10bit footage than it is not a problem for you to correct it in post.
If you plan to shoot without color grading in post there is distortion correction in Mavic 2 PRO.

Exactly.  Im struggling to see the issue dragging a correction effect that takes 2 seconds onto footage in post when you absolutely have to do post production on the footage in the first place.

The only thing DJI should have done is release the correction effect at launch time.
2018-9-13
Use props
cyrilp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14465 ft
  • >>>
France

I have made a video about this:

2018-9-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

cyrilp Posted at 2018-9-13 07:51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fiTKb64uns

One question:  Who built those grain silos?   
Silos are warped and bubbled!  
2018-9-13
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

At end of video, the circling shot - the video almost looks un-real.  
As if it was special effects shot of a model rural town.  Expecting Godzilla to come stomping in and destroy grain silos and rural town.
2018-9-13
Use props
simis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405102 ft
Latvia

2018-9-14
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 617405 ft

The Hasselblad lens is equivalent to a 28mm full-frame lens and so, it is considered a mild wide angle lens.
I think this is due to the curvature of the earth and the slight wide-angle lens "distortion", like all rectilinear wide angle lenses.
2018-9-14
Use props
MichaelDiggs
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-5 06:20
Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. The videos shot in DLOG-M and HLG modes on the Mavic 2 Pro cannot be corrected for distortion in the camera but can be edited it in post-processing with the image editing software.

So there is a hardware bug in the camera which will never be fixed? I'm expected delivery next Tuesday and because of all this may not sign and RETURN TO SENDER. Wow, you'd think with a name like that on the camera with a new model there would be at least video you do not need to process and spend all your time editing at post. Too bad, I was really looking forward to using this new drone.
2018-9-15
Use props
simis
lvl.4
Latvia

MichaelDiggs Posted at 2018-9-15 04:05
So there is a hardware bug in the camera which will never be fixed? I'm expected delivery next Tuesday and because of all this may not sign and RETURN TO SENDER. Wow, you'd think with a name like that on the camera with a new model there would be at least video you do not need to process and spend all your time editing at post. Too bad, I was really looking forward to using this new drone.

May be they fixed that as they rising price to 1499$ for Mavic 2 pro on Monday.
2018-9-15
Use props
0Kajuna0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 267126 ft
Spain

CaptureAZ Posted at 2018-9-6 09:19
This doesn't make much sense since d-log or HLG actually requires LESS processing power to send what is essentially raw image data straight to the card, compared to the "normal" color mode(s) which requires the drone to add a color profile ontop of raw data and then write it to the card.

This is pretty disappointing.  I really don't know how they wouldn't have seen this in beta or even alpha testing, and unless you do not change the angle of the gimbal in flight so that the horizon stays where it is, it'll be near impossible to fix in post, or at least WAY more work than it should be.

The distortion is always in the same areas. You only notice it when the horizon is there (close to the edges), because otherwise it's the sky or the floor what gets distorted. The same correction profile applies to any shot, regardless of the framing (as long as focal length is the same). Your corrected video looks great. DJI should come up with an official distortion profile, though.
2018-9-15
Use props
droidekas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1137300 ft
Sweden

MichaelDiggs Posted at 2018-9-15 04:05

There is no bug, only you not knowing when, why and how to use DLOG video.

DLOG is a very flat color profile that is not intended to use without color correction in post.

And since there is a limited amount of computing power onboard the drone for the developers to use they prioritized to use that computing power for the 10bit color depth since the DLOG video ALWAYS needs to be color corrected in post anyways and the time taken to drag and drop the lens distortion correction lut onto an adjusment layer is less than minimal.

The Normal 8-bit color profile is lens corrected onboard the drone. Use that if you don't want to edit your videos.
2018-9-15
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

DJ_Fan Posted at 2018-9-14 08:01
The Hasselblad lens is equivalent to a 28mm full-frame lens and so, it is considered a mild wide angle lens.
I think this is due to the curvature of the earth and the slight wide-angle lens "distortion", like all rectilinear wide angle lenses.

Since this argument is often discussed (it was on french forums too), I made the calculation: a such distorsion with a 28 mm lens corresponds to an altitude of more than 50 kms
2018-9-15
Use props
simis
lvl.4
Latvia

NO ONE fixed that distortion 100% in post so far.....  sort of yes but not completely
2018-9-15
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
France

simis Posted at 2018-9-15 04:37
May be they fixed that as they rising price to 1499$ for Mavic 2 pro on Monday.

If they redo the lens, they could take the opportunity to fix the vignetting and the MTF as well
2018-9-15
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fiTKb64uns

Nice test, thank you very much! Do I understand correctly that this was with Mavic Air?
2018-9-15
Use props
cyrilp
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14465 ft
  • >>>
France

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-15 11:22
Nice test, thank you very much! Do I understand correctly that this was with Mavic Air?

No the mavic pro 2
2018-9-19
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-19
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-19
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Latvia

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-19 01:37
The H.265 10Bit D-LOG profile is giving expensive computers a run for their money... it is absurd that folks have the demand that the correction is done inside a small drone with the huge amount of data that 100 megabits produce. The flat profile is there to give creators a wider gamut when color grading through pro software. Anyone that knows how to do this can remove distortion with half a click, everyone else is ranting without a reason as they would probably not know what to do with D-LOG to begin with... If your wish is to aplly a LUT or play a little bit with the colors, the NORMAL 8bit distortion free profile also works perfectly.

Agree on that
2018-9-19
Use props
tkseward
New

thehippoz Posted at 2018-9-3 11:34
That's fine with me. You have to edit the footage anyway. The thing that's weird is it's not like that all the time, so you'd have to chase it through your footage.

Just bought this.. fn bs..
2018-10-5
Use props
Cody KO
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1427 ft

I'm also getting the same in D-log.  But it can be corrected through editting.
2019-2-11
Use props
mnliew
lvl.2
Singapore

Hi All ,

Just wonder hv the Barrel distortion been fixed?
I am seeing the Building are not straight
2019-3-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules