Mavic 2 PRO - Lens distortion
1234Next >
22619 155 2018-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

I did a little search and found the threads gnirtS mentioned and read the posts from blade strike and others. This is the clear opposite of what DJI Wanda has written here. Now i am starting to get really angry.
DJI puts a lot of money in the marketing campagn and make us believe we get a supreme "hasselblad" camera with 10Bit and forgot to mention that we should fix extreme barrel distortion in post (with what lens correction profile btw???). Last week i advertised the M2P to my friends and in my company ... my fault because i got hyped. There are four of them considering to buy one ... that will end tommorrow! And if mine arrives on wednesday it goes straight back (with the goggles RE, the fly more pack and the other accessories). I don't like to get fooled for this amount of money. If you advertise your product as the best ... deliver it that way!
2018-9-3
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1730177 ft
Latvia

It is normal to do it in post, maybe, but at least DJI should tell us about this.
But not mentioning that they are working on it.
2018-9-3
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

HCL Posted at 2018-9-3 11:34
I did a little search and found the threads gnirtS mentioned and read the posts from blade strike and others. This is the clear opposite of what DJI Wanda has written here. Now i am starting to get really angry.
DJI puts a lot of money in the marketing campagn and make us believe we get a supreme "hasselblad" camera with 10Bit and forgot to mention that we should fix extreme barrel distortion in post (with what lens correction profile btw???). Last week i advertised the M2P to my friends and in my company ... my fault because i got hyped. There are four of them considering to buy one ... that will end tommorrow! And if mine arrives on wednesday it goes straight back (with the goggles RE, the fly more pack and the other accessories). I don't like to get fooled for this amount of money. If you advertise your product as the best ... deliver it that way!

I would at least try it hcl. I mean all of us have editing rigs, why would you buy the m2 without a editor?
2018-9-3
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

Was this with AFC or MF? I'd like to see if this happens with MF to infinity. I would test it out but it's been raining here in my part of Florida...
2018-9-3
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-3 11:34
Their logic (and its not bad logic) is anyone using D-LOG will be post processing.  Because you absolutely have to.  Therefore fixing it in post is simple.

Yes, D-LOG is used for post processing ... but without a suitable correction profile it's not "simple" to correct the footage accordingly. And that issue could have been openly addressed in the first place with a proper solution for post. Not keep it quite and then tell us there will be a fix when other employees tell it won't happen cause the hardware does not allow it.
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

DanielVieira Posted at 2018-9-2 03:52
One video that i made yesterday in DLOGm at f5.6 its pretty clear that the bridge is distorted/bended...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fchzk1ue53blbn/DJI_0016.MP4?dl=0

pretty clear that the bridge is distorted/bended

Not good at all.
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

HCL Posted at 2018-9-3 11:49
Yes, D-LOG is used for post processing ... but without a suitable correction profile it's not "simple" to correct the footage accordingly. And that issue could have been openly addressed in the first place with a proper solution for post. Not keep it quite and then tell us there will be a fix when other employees tell it won't happen cause the hardware does not allow it.

Thats the issue, there should be already a Premiere profile released (its called planning).
But we also need a LUT (which they talked about and never released for mavic 1).

Im starting to cynically wonder if there'll be a Phantom 5 soon which has all the good bits of the M2 AND all the bits from the mavic 1 they stripped out (precision landing, intelligent flight modes, profile corrections).
2018-9-3
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Latvia

No it is always there in edge of lens. You only see it in some angles when look on something straight. Like horizon
2018-9-3
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Latvia

HCL Posted at 2018-9-3 11:34
DJI puts a lot of money in the marketing campagn and make us believe we get a supreme "hasselblad" camera with 10Bit and forgot to mention that we should fix extreme barrel distortion in post (with what lens correction profile btw???). Last week i advertised the M2P to my friends and in my company ... my fault because i got hyped. There are four of them considering to buy one ... that will end tommorrow! And if mine arrives on wednesday it goes straight back (with the goggles RE, the fly more pack and the other accessories). I don't like to get fooled for this amount of money. If you advertise your product as the best ... deliver it that way!

Do you understand that this problem only in Dlog? Did you planned to use Dlog and colour correction in post? If you planned to use normal profile than it will be fine
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-3 12:00
I don't understand how you "fix this in post" when it only appears at certain times, at certain angles, to varying degrees?  Frame by frame???  If it was a constant, fixed, distortion would be one thing, but when it can vary with each & every frame how does a filter correct the problem?

No its always there.  The effect increases predictably the further from centre the horizon is.

Premiere has profile corrections baked in for Inspire and other models
2018-9-3
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

Andrejs Posted at 2018-9-3 12:03
Do you understand that this problem only in Dlog? Did you planned to use Dlog and colour correction in post? If you planned to use normal profile than it will be fine

I would mainly use D-Log as i always make post processing and the 10-Bit Profile was the main selling point for me! But lens correction in post makes the workflow chain more complicated for me and i don't want to render every shot down with lens correction before adding more complex effects in AE and C4D.  
2018-9-3
Use props
Chpouky
lvl.3

I agree. It might be fixable in post, but it's better to avoid an extra post processing step.
2018-9-3
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-3 12:07
No its always there.  The effect increases predictably the further from centre the horizon is.

Premiere has profile corrections baked in for Inspire and other models

The profile must fit to the lens otherwise you can get partial warping.
2018-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DanielVieira Posted at 2018-9-1 12:24
In this video samples is pretty clear that DLOG-M have issues with lens distortion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVZRizqDfSY&feature=youtu.be

It’s great to see someone take a level headed approach to a problem, hopefully this will be sorted soon.
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

HCL Posted at 2018-9-3 12:24
The profile must fit to the lens otherwise you can get partial warping.

Which is why i said "Premiere pro has profile corrections baked in".

Because it does.
2018-9-3
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

HCL Posted at 2018-9-3 12:11
I would mainly use D-Log as i always make post processing and the 10-Bit Profile was the main selling point for me! But lens correction in post makes the workflow chain more complicated for me and i don't want to render every shot down with lens correction before adding more complex effects in AE and C4D.

I would apply lens correction right before export. Render a small section to see and export
2018-9-3
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200177 ft

Premiere has lens correction feature but a lot of people use Resolve 15 etc.

Lens correction is only available on studio version.

DLOG on MP had lens correction in camera, why change it now.

Plus it's not just DLOG that's affected, HLG profile is also uncorrected.
2018-9-3
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

thehippoz Posted at 2018-9-3 12:29
I would apply lens correction right before export. Render a small section to see and export

That won't work. When creating 3D Elements that have to fit in the shot you must have a clear reference for perspective and scaling. Our eyes are trained for perspetive changes ... any minor error is immediately visible. This way you have to render a corrected version first as reference.
2018-9-3
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Latvia

fans68308231 Posted at 2018-9-3 12:34
Premiere has lens correction feature but a lot of people use Resolve 15 etc.

Lens correction is only available on studio version.

You can't use Dlog with free version of Resolve anyway Because it not support Dlog H.265 10 bit Colorado in free version and you need to use studio version.
2018-9-3
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

HCL Posted at 2018-9-3 12:36
That won't work. When creating 3D Elements that have to fit in the shot you must have a clear reference for perspective and scaling. Our eyes are trained for perspetive changes ... any minor error is immediately visible. This way you have to render a corrected version first as reference.

Oh I see. Aye I get it, that won't work. So I take it you guys don't use gopros where you work
2018-9-3
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2

Andrejs Posted at 2018-9-3 12:38
You can't use Dlog with free version of Resolve anyway  Because it not support Dlog H.265 10 bit Colorado in free version and you need to use studio version.

Genuine question but in what way does it not support it?

Ive imported DLOG-M and HLG H.265 into resolve and could edit and export.

2018-9-3
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

thehippoz Posted at 2018-9-3 12:38
Oh I see. Aye I get it, that won't work. So I take it you guys don't use gopros where you work

Nope :-) Until now there was no arial-system (besides absurd expensive ones) that could fit in the setup in terms of image quality ... until now i thought. That's why i got so excited.
2018-9-3
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Latvia

fans68308231 Posted at 2018-9-3 12:41
Genuine question but in what way does it not support it?

Ive imported DLOG-M and HLG H.265 into resolve and could edit and export.

Really? What version do you have? Maybe it is studio? Officially it is supported only in studio. Strange
2018-9-3
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2

Andrejs Posted at 2018-9-3 12:46
Really?  What version do you have? Maybe it is studio? Officially it is supported only in studio. Strange

I previously used Adobe premiere CC but switched to Resolve around time of getting M2P.

Ive had Resolve 15 installed for around a week so assuming it is the newest version.

Now Im wondering if there is a trial period for studio features.

Ill check after work.
2018-9-3
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-3 12:27
Which is why i said "Premiere pro has profile corrections baked in".

Because it does.

I doubt that premiere or other software has the exact profile for the M2P lens yet. It's not just the 28mm format. Every lens has a unique character the profile must fit for best results. That's why you have profiles for different lenses on the market.
2018-9-3
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Latvia

fans68308231 Posted at 2018-9-3 12:50
I previously used Adobe premiere CC but switched to Resolve around time of getting M2P.

Ive had Resolve 15 installed for around a week so assuming it is the newest version.

Maybe, because I used latest free version and it didnt allowed me to import it into Resolve. It was showing like media offline After that started looking for info and found that it is supported in paid version only(studio)
2018-9-3
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-2 06:38
You'd better send it back.
They're not going to do a firmware update within a week of the last one.

They just did
2018-9-3
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

I try to write this experience off now and don't get hyped again. Hopefully it won't take too long to get my money back.
2018-9-3
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-3 17:29
All consumer grade lenses will create barrel distortion. Usually it is automatically corrected in software - that's why this only shows in DLOG mode. If you look at the raw images from the drone, you would notice this as well, including a bunch of other stuff that doesn't look good that is corrected in software.  Unfortunately, DJI's position now is that DLOG is used for correction anyway in post, so they won't use onboard processing to correct this in the future:
[view_image]

That makes sense. They can't because the cpu is at its limit in 10 bit color. Not a big deal for me, but I can see guys like dcl not wanting to render a whole scene
2018-9-3
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

so this is real ? they won't fix ? any tutorial on youtube yet correting this with premiere cc 2017 ?
2018-9-3
Use props
Elanor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 332405 ft
Italy

I think it makes perfect sense. When I'm shooting raw (always) with my mirrorless camera, there is no correction of the image (barrel or pincushion). Most of the times the distortion is not visible because the editing software addresses the problem automatically based on the lens and camera you are using.

But I understand that could be annoying to someone how wants to film using d-log just for the sake of colour correction in post but don't want to deal with other kinds of correction.
2018-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Well assuming there will be an adobe lens profile (and if theres not THATS bad service) its just a case of dragging and dropping it onto the timeline so adds a few seconds to the actual editing.

Proper customer service the drone would have been released from day with with a LUT and lens profile correction file.

2018-9-4
Use props
Elanor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 332405 ft
Italy

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-4 02:05
Well assuming there will be an adobe lens profile (and if theres not THATS bad service) its just a case of dragging and dropping it onto the timeline so adds a few seconds to the actual editing.

Proper customer service the drone would have been released from day with with a LUT and lens profile correction file.

Unfortunately, it happens all the time even with new camera models (I've experienced with Nikon and Fuji was even worse). It's the joys of buying a new toy from day one
2018-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Elanor Posted at 2018-9-4 02:25
Unfortunately, it happens all the time even with new camera models (I've experienced with Nikon and Fuji was even worse). It's the joys of buying a new toy from day one

Well they never even released the Mavic Pro LUT at all....

Given how much wide use these devices had for months before launch im amazed there isnt one or one released.
These were in the wild in far bigger numbers than a new shiny DSLR etc.
2018-9-4
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

I got my package today ... it's now even more heartbreaking to send it back and still no word about a tangible solution. I thought more about using a lens correction profile today but if i want to do anything more than only grading the footage there is no way around rendering it corrected first. And if i don't want to loose quality i will have render it lossless or in a high Prores or DNxHD format. This has to be fixed at the source! I will wait until friday and hope DJI surprises us with a viable solution on the (curved) horizon as many costumers are complaining about this.
2018-9-4
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-4 04:51
At the very, very least, they should have more color profile options other than "normal" and the 2 distorted ones, D-Log and HLG.  For instance, the M2Pro doesn't have D-Cinelike. At least that would give users the ability to use some non distorted profiles.

Totally agree.

D-cinelike and 8bit DLOG would let previous MP owners continue their normal workflow if they dont own premiere or resolve studio.

Thats the problem,for a hobbyist, a creative cloud subscription or Resolve studio is not really justifiable.

Loads of MP owners who want to colour grade there footage while using something like the free verion of resolve.
2018-9-4
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

HCL Posted at 2018-9-4 10:25
I got my package today ... it's now even more heartbreaking to send it back and still no word about a tangible solution. I thought more about using a lens correction profile today but if i want to do anything more than only grading the footage there is no way around rendering it corrected first. And if i don't want to loose quality i will have render it lossless or in a high Prores or DNxHD format. This has to be fixed at the source! I will wait until friday and hope DJI surprises us with a viable solution on the (curved) horizon as many costumers are complaining about this.

if you read https://forum.dji.com/thread-164836-1-1.html , they say that they are working on the problem! lets see where this takes us
2018-9-4
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

Here's a quick fix for the barrel distortion until DJI reoeases a patch:

https://youtu.be/HLFPjI4vVFg
2018-9-4
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Latvia

than DJI should add 8bit Dlog with lens correction. So we can decide how we will shoot. With lens correction in post or not
2018-9-4
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Latvia

So it seems that we will not get lens correction out from Mavic. DJI will not answer too, seems.
I will post here too possible solutions.
For those who using Resolve pretty easy:

For FCPX or Premiere Pro freat tip and solution from The Film Poets

2018-9-5
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules