Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Risk of interference through radio antenna
1036 11 2018-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FntX
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158734 ft
Germany

I'm planning to film radio antennas but first I'd like to evaluate the risk in doing so. These are 2.5mw antennas sending at 183khz. At least one of them is not emitting omnidirectional and of this particular one I know the approximate angle. The other 3 are not well documented... In fact this is the most powerful radio tower in Germany and one of the largest stations on earth...

Since the whole area is fenced off and because those structures are way too tall I'm not planning to go too close.

How can I determine if it is safe to fly around them?

Any information is appreciated
2018-8-31
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Trial and error.  The LW transmitters wont cause a direct issue to the microwave transmitters but id be a lot more worried about induction if you get too close.
Its pretty much impossible, just trial and error and make sure you aren't in the main beam path.  Thats serious serious power.
2018-8-31
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. I'm afraid that the connection of your RC and the drone might be interrupted due to this strong frequency. This might lead to an incident or the drone may have a hard time following your command due to the environment. Please be cautious about the environment when flying to prevent an incident. Thank you fo the support.
2018-8-31
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have flow around TV antennas, 10Kw maybe 15 Kw even..  i lost GPS and Compass when i was about 100 feet away from the emitter..  however with occusync i stayed in complete control and had live feed entire time..

if you plan on flying around high power output RF systems:

1. do not use automated flight modes, like POI or the like.. as the GPS and compass can get very confused and can throw it off coarse.  

2. fly with BOTH live camera and with eyes on the drone for best result, because may drop connection, drone may get confused, and having another set of eyes watching what you arent or cant watch can aid you in saving the drone..

3. do not do not click Return to home... fly it back manually, the GPS and/or compass maybe struggling and app may not be showing whats really going on with telemetry.  

4. never rely on telemetry that you are getting back if flying around high RF systems may not be getting the correct or accurate info..

5. if something goes wrong and control is compromised, fly up not away!  get high above the structure, RF doesn't like going straight up off the emitters usually.  

6. consider take off location, dont be right outside of the structure, try to be back so if something goes horribly wrong, have room to correct it and safely get it back..
2018-8-31
Use props
Lonesome Crow
Captain
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>

What are the flight regulations in Germany in regards to a flight like this?  And if fenced off, and you have a problem, will you be flying outside of the fence perimeter so you can retrieve your bird?
2018-8-31
Use props
Bob Brown
Captain
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would not fly this unless there is insurance, permission and profit.
Take @DJI Tony 's advice.
2018-9-1
Use props
FntX
lvl.4
Germany

Thanks for all the comments!
I won't fly close by and keep a safe distance. But first of all I'll check step by step if something weird happens before the actual flight.
2018-9-1
Use props
FntX
lvl.4
Germany

Lonesome Crow Posted at 2018-8-31 15:48
What are the flight regulations in Germany in regards to a flight like this?  And if fenced off, and you have a problem, will you be flying outside of the fence perimeter so you can retrieve your bird?

The regulations are simple: keep a distance of at least 100m from industrial buildings. Of course it would be unwise to fly too close to those antennas not only because of interference but mainly because it would be impossible to get this tall structure on film.
2018-9-2
Use props
FntX
lvl.4
Germany

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-8-31 12:58
i have flow around TV antennas, 10Kw maybe 15 Kw even..  i lost GPS and Compass when i was about 100 feet away from the emitter..  however with occusync i stayed in complete control and had live feed entire time..

if you plan on flying around high power output RF systems:

Special thanks to you! This is very, very helpful information! Thanks for sharing!
2018-9-2
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>

Not sure about the frequencies involved, but all of the local television stations, an FM radio station, & a 50KW AM radio station broadcast from "Television Hill" in Baltimore.  I flew a Mavic Pro all around, between, & above the antennas & noticed no effect on GPS, RC connection, control, FPV, or telemetry.

2018-9-2
Use props
FntX
lvl.4
Germany

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-2 05:05
Not sure about the frequencies involved, but all of the local television stations, an FM radio station, & a 50KW AM radio station broadcast from "Television Hill" in Baltimore.  I flew a Mavic Pro all around, between, & above the antennas & noticed no effect on GPS, RC connection, control, FPV, or telemetry.

https://youtu.be/wzISw0Hz3c8

We're talking about these bad boys:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longwave_transmitter_Europe_1
These are a special breed of antennas because they emit the radio waves along the whole structure and not by a mounted antenna on top for example.
I think it should be absolutely safe to launch in the north-east direction... ;)
2018-9-2
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 41442379 ft
  • >>>

FntX Posted at 2018-9-2 10:04
We're talking about these bad boys:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longwave_transmitter_Europe_1
These are a special breed of antennas because they emit the radio waves along the whole structure and not by a mounted antenna on top for example.

Only one way to find out!  Come in easy & back out if things get dicey.   
2018-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules