Magnetic Micro USB charging
3257 13 2018-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Okay everyone, i am sure this might be a very stupid question, but would love to know the correct answer to it.

I saw a youtube video or two, of people using a magnetic usb charger for the Mavic Air and Mavic Pro RC.  The cable allow you to leave a small magnetize mini usb in the slot of the RC, without removing it. You then just click the usb cable onto that, to charge.

Now, the question is, would that little magnet not interfere with the compas calibration etc of the drones?

Anyone using it? Does it work?

maxresdefault.jpg

2018-8-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

No it shouldn’t interfere with Compass, however it most likely will interfere with your RC sticks,

2018-8-31
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-31 13:18
No it shouldn’t interfere with Compass, however it most likely will interfere with your RC sticks,
https://youtu.be/0h_lVR_gKMU

Did not even think about it. It is a very small magnet though, wonder if it would have quite the same effect as that two big ones he is using there?
2018-8-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Charissa Posted at 2018-8-31 13:33
Did not even think about it. It is a very small magnet though, wonder if it would have quite the same effect as that two big ones he is using there?

He was using fridge magnets, you could be ok, one piece of advice calibrate sticks while magnet is in place, that should do the trick, but if you remove you will just have to calibrate again.
2018-8-31
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-8-31 13:37
He was using fridge magnets, you could be ok, one piece of advice calibrate sticks while magnet is in place, that should do the trick, but if you remove you will just have to calibrate again.

Thanks, will give it a try. Will see where i can get a cable that fits, and give some feedback if i do. Appreciate.
2018-8-31
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Hmmm.... That's an interesting little gizmo. Let me know how your tests turn out as I'd be curious how that works with the drone.
2018-8-31
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200177 ft

Wouldn't have thought this would work.

I thought when anything is inserted into the micro usb port it disables the USB A on bottom of controller.

2018-8-31
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

fans68308231 Posted at 2018-8-31 14:52
Wouldn't have thought this would work.

I thought when anything is inserted into the micro usb port it disables the USB A on bottom of controller.

it normally does, would like to see how this works out
2018-8-31
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Got it, tested it by swiping it around like the guy in the video, but have absolutely no effect on the joysticks. It does however, makes a funny noise on my pc speakers when connected. Will test it out flying, and let everyone knows.
2018-9-1
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use one for the controller and it works great. The magnets are not strong enough to cause any issues and have not. Been using for over 6 months and I leave it in; should save wear and tear on the micro usb port over time.
2018-9-1
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Yes, like Bob above said, it works. Now i don,t have to worry about wearing the port out, like it sometimes happen with phones. The magnet is not so strong that it holds the cable when i plug it into the powerbank and move around though. Comes loose every now and again. But only use it like that, if i fly. Will connect the powerbank to the charging port, tuck the bank in a pocket and fly. That way, my phone don,t use all the RC power for charging.
Go and buy, works well.
2018-9-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. We do not highly recommend to use third-party accessories for Mavic Air or Mavic Pro RC.
2018-9-5
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-5 05:28
Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. We do not highly recommend to use third-party accessories for Mavic Air or Mavic Pro RC.

Thank u kindly DJI Wanda. We do, however, have to find a idea to solve the charging of the phones, via the Remote Control, seeing as we are asking for the feature, but till now, not getting it.
Also, the constant pluging in and out, of that port is a problem. It is slightly tilted upwards, and makes it difficult to correctly insert the micro usb, every time.
This way, we can safe the port,  and also safe ourselve some money, to replace the whole RC if the port wears out.
Maybe DJI can work on the above problems for us please. That would insure that we only spend money on DJI products in the future, and not trying to find different solutions by ourselves.
Thanks for the considiration.
2018-9-5
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Quik update. If you let the cable get anywhere near the ground, dirt, grass, sand, whatever, you WILL pick up a lot of magnetic bits and bops in the connection.............learned the hard way. Battle to get that lot out of the connector. (this is the part that is on top of the phone, in the image.)
2018-9-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules