Controller battery issue
961 11 2018-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Floreto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3591102 ft

I've had the P4P+ for almost two years, when I first got it the controller battery would be at about 50% even after 5 battery changes on the drone.  I've noticed latley that after 4 battery changes the controller battery will be used up and beaping at me to land before I've exausted the 4th battery.  After I let the controller sit for a few hours the battery seems to rebound a bit, instead of only one flashing white light I'll get 2 solid lights.  I'm not really sure what's happening other than the battery is dying.  Has anyone else seen this behaviour, could it be a problem with the software and not the hardware?

2018-8-31
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

It needs to be CYCLED

Run it down to 1 light.....leave it on till this happens.  Turn it off

Let it completely cool down/come to rest.......

Charge till it's done.  Do not interrupt.......

Take her out flying......run it down to 1 light again......repeat.    This is a complete CYCLE

2 Year old Lithium Batteries need this every now and again........let us know how things go.

Randy
2018-8-31
Use props
Floreto
lvl.3

While I haven't done this ever time I try to, are you saying that from this point on if I cycle every time my battery life will get longer?
2018-8-31
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

I dont think doing this to a lipo battery is the right thing to do, being discharged this much is bad. I know older dji literature said to do that back in the day... I have never done that and my lipos have been fine... if I would do this "cycling" with my RC helicopter lipo's which are  bigger that would be a problem...I never discharge below 20% I always put 80% back in the pack and I never leave my lipos fully charged/discharged for more then 2 days tops... Do u leave the remote filly charged or discharged? Could cause swelling or weak packs especially being 2 yrs old.
2018-8-31
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 2018-8-31 21:06
I dont think doing this to a lipo battery is the right thing to do, being discharged this much is bad. I know older dji literature said to do that back in the day... I have never done that and my lipos have been fine... if I would do this "cycling" with my RC helicopter lipo's which are  bigger that would be a problem...I never discharge below 20% I always put 80% back in the pack and I never leave my lipos fully charged/discharged for more then 2 days tops... Do u leave the remote filly charged or discharged? Could cause swelling or weak packs especially being 2 yrs old.

And people say that Lithium Batteries don't have a memory?

You should always discharge your Batteries from 5 to 10%, let them cool, then charge them. They'll last longer and are more predictable.
2018-9-1
Use props
Floreto
lvl.3

Glad to see we all agree on how to maintain these things, seeing as how it's always best to go to the source when having a problem I looked at the Phantom manual for advice.  This is what it says regarding charging the controller.
"Charging the Remote Controller - Charge the remote controller using the included charger. Refer to the figure on next page below for more details."  There are no further details on charging or running down the battery.  

It would be great to hear from DJI about this, what do they recommend?
2018-9-1
Use props
Floreto
lvl.3

I've run into another issue that I can't explain, as I said before after about 2 hours the controller battery goes down to one blinking white light and a fast blinking red one.  Letting it sit for a bit and turning it back on I see two white lights so I decide to let it run down, after about 20 minutes the white and red flashing lights  appear with the beeping letting you know the battery is low.  I've let it sit doing that for about 2 hours now and it's clear that something's wrong not with the battery but what ever monitors it's charge.  I was going to try resetting the controller but I don't know if this will help.  
2018-9-1
Use props
Manxmann
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1178793 ft
Australia

C'mon DJI  let's have some professional information ..............  
2018-9-2
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

Manxmann Posted at 2018-9-2 01:49
C'mon DJI  let's have some professional information ..............

Is this similar to your problem. I have tried to tell people there is a problem with the RC charging the mobile device.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D403%26typeid%3D403-(look at whole post)

https://forum.dji.com/thread-126700-1-1.html

2018-9-2
Use props
Floreto
lvl.3

My one regret was buying the controller with integrated screen, it's way too small and your stuck with the hardware forever.  
2018-9-2
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer

Floreto Posted at 2018-9-2 06:09
My one regret was buying the controller with integrated screen, it's way too small and your stuck with the hardware forever.

Please tell me, how does the screen get it's power? Is the screen being powered by the same battery as the RC or does it have it's own battery. Does the charger, charge both units at the same time?
2018-9-2
Use props
Floreto
lvl.3

IDK, all tablets and phones have their own battery and so it makes since that this one would but you'd have to take it apart to find out.  In any case the screen always seems to have power as long as the controller does and there's no separate battery indicator for it so it's hard to say.
2018-9-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules