RTH Landing Issues
3668 30 2018-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ERIK4455
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2416266 ft

I have been a P4P+ owner and just received my new Mavic 2 Zoom.  For the most part I am very impressed!  There is one Major flaw or issue that I beleive needs to be addressed.  The Landing needs to be updated to use the same logic as the P4P+.  I have almost crashed upon landing eight times now.  The GPS radius is 8 feet +/- and also front and rear colision sensors and downward sensors do not function correctly on landing.  There really should be a precision landing function on this Mavic 2 Zoom we pilots can enable.  Upon take off I can show 16 GPS but it always comes back 3-4 feet in different directions.  Never the exact same spot as the P4P+ did.  Upon landing I have had to take manual control to prosition the landing so it wouldn't hit opjects underneath or be to close to object laterally during landing.  I hope this can either be fixed or updated soon.  Have other users experienced this?  Please add your experiences below?
2018-8-31
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Being Mavic Pro can do precision landings, why can't MP2?
2018-8-31
Use props
Alex Batalov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

I think the precision landing will be added in the future update.
It was inexplicably removed from mavic 2.

Fly safe.
Alex.
2018-8-31
Use props
ERIK4455
lvl.1

Alex Batalov Posted at 2018-8-31 23:43
I think the precision landing will be added in the future update.
It was inexplicably removed from mavic 2.

Why would they have removed it?  Also, why the inaccurate landings with 16 GPS?
2018-8-31
Use props
ERIK4455
lvl.1

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-8-31 20:51
I always land manually, but I agree the Precision Landing feature should be added to the Mavic 2. We are on firmware 1.00.0000 so I imagine lots of features will be added in time.

I certainly hope so.  Today as an example I launched 10 ft away from house and upon landing it wanted to land on top of my chimney.  The orientation lights were all red so when I tried to move it away I accidentally went the wrong direction.  Luckily, I have learned to only make very small adjustments so I was able to recover correctly.  
2018-8-31
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

*MAYBE* the removal of the ultrasonic sensors stopped this from working?
I really hope not.

As others have said, the standard GPS accuracy of 3-5m is a pretty big landing area.  Unless you're on a totally flat, debris field concrete pavement the chances are in that place are going to be several things for it to clip, half land on, fly into and so on.  This means RTH realistically now isn't an option for the actual landing and you'll need manual control.  It also means if your RC breaks it could easily crash on landing if you cant control it.

As for the sensors, those are disabled during landing mode (as was the MP1, it even tells you "landing. obstacle sensing disabled")
2018-9-1
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

ERIK4455 Posted at 2018-8-31 23:52
Why would they have removed it?  Also, why the inaccurate landings with 16 GPS?

Because GPS is only accurate to 3-5m on average.  And lower if there are obstructions such as walls, trees etc close to the ground.
2018-9-1
Use props
djiuser_xfY1iW6g5RqC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23734 ft
France

I hop it get fix soon I really need this option cuase got not much of space for landing...
2018-9-1
Use props
Duncandonut
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2139291 ft
United Kingdom

Have been out with the M2P today, and WOW what a drone. I am seriously in love with it. However I did try several auto landings with my "H" landing pad down. My Spark and Mavic Pro were always pretty much on the pad. My Mavic 2 Pro though was 5-6ft away everytime, and that was with 20 satellites. I know it is not a major issues, but with what they have put into the M2P I find it very strange they have removed it.
2018-9-1
Use props
Paul_IA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Looks like the MP2 may have been rushed into production with some features removed/not completed. I can't imagine that there won't be updates where these "normal" things will be added back. If not, I'll be flying my MP until the MP3 comes out.
2018-9-1
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Duncandonut Posted at 2018-9-1 05:03
Have been out with the M2P today, and WOW what a drone. I am seriously in love with it. However I did try several auto landings with my "H" landing pad down. My Spark and Mavic Pro were always pretty much on the pad. My Mavic 2 Pro though was 5-6ft away everytime, and that was with 20 satellites. I know it is not a major issues, but with what they have put into the M2P I find it very strange they have removed it.

Number of satellites doesn't really matter.  You still can't get more than about 3m accuracy from unassisted GPS alone.
2018-9-1
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hand catch all my drones except for the Inspire 1.
2018-9-1
Use props
fans76920c20
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6550331 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic Pro, Mavic Air and the P4A mention in the user manual the use of precision landing, but it is not to be found in the Mavic 2 manual, so it sounds like it was removed or never added?
2018-9-1
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200177 ft

I normally land manually but thinking it might be safer to disable landing protection on the M2.

That way on a failsafe RTH it's going to descend to 2m and wait for you.
2018-9-1
Use props
ERIK4455
lvl.1

fans76920c20 Posted at 2018-9-1 10:22
The Mavic Pro, Mavic Air and the P4A mention in the user manual the use of precision landing, but it is not to be found in the Mavic 2 manual, so it sounds like it was removed or never added?

There are several thing missing in the Mavic 2 Manual.  Like pressing the screen and being able to control the Gimble seperatly from the Drone link in the the Inspire 2.  I guess the next version of the Manual, maybe?
2018-9-1
Use props
ERIK4455
lvl.1

fans68308231 Posted at 2018-9-1 10:25
I normally land manually but thinking it might be safer to disable landing protection on the M2.

That way on a failsafe RTH it's going to descend to 2m and wait for you.

Problem is right now the landing might be on top of something else like a house or car because the the GPS is so variable.  Landing area varies unlike the others that usually land spot on.  
2018-9-1
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200177 ft
United Kingdom

ERIK4455 Posted at 2018-9-1 10:28
Problem is right now the landing might be on top of something else like a house or car because the the GPS is so variable.  Landing area varies unlike the others that usually land spot on.

Yeah definately agree with you.

Just thought not letting it land itself might be better than nothing but like you said, its not going to help with larger obstacles.
2018-9-1
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

I was going to say that the possible reason features that were on M1P are missing from M2 is probably because they based their firmware on the Mavic Air and added back to it as much of the M1P features as they could.  But if the Air had precision landing, M2 certainly should have it.   I too am disappointed that the landings are typically 2-3 feet away from actual target.  I'm horrible at landing manually.  Not precise enough with the stick I suppose and I also have a bad sense of perspective.  In the mean time when you land, point your gumball down.  Also helps to enable the cross-hairs.  That's what I typically did with my P3A.
2018-9-1
Use props
Ataf
lvl.1

I’m in painful process of returning mavic 2 zoom. So many issues, vibration in video if I go faster than 5 miles, just few minutes ago I also found landing was out of 10 feet radius of home point. I’m also getting less than 20 minutes of flight time, weather is very good, no wind.
2018-9-1
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>

djiuser_xfY1iW6g5RqC Posted at 2018-9-1 04:05
I hop it get fix soon I really need this option cuase got not much of space for landing...

Land it yourself RTH should not be used for normal operation it is more of an emergency function
2018-9-1
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, we're sorry for the inconvenience and trouble caused. As of the moment, we're still waiting for the update of our engineering team about the Precision landing on Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom. Thanks for your understanding and support.
2018-9-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you check this out you will find regular RTH is pretty good and as someone who has flown a P4 for two and a half years I can fully vouch for it.

2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-1 02:36
Because GPS is only accurate to 3-5m on average.  And lower if there are obstructions such as walls, trees etc close to the ground.

Because GPS is only accurate to 3-5m on average.

Need to double that number for worst case because;

drone on return to GPS coordinates can be off by +/- 3-5m trying to land at GPS coordinates that could have been off by +/- 3-5m.

Safest (or smartest for crash & cost) thing to do is allow drone to have a larger landing area to return to than what was allowed for Mavic Pro with precision landing - should a Pilot be left with auto RTH with non-communicating R.C. (aka no pilot control).

2018-9-6
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-5 13:35
If you check this out you will find regular RTH is pretty good and as someone who has flown a P4 for two and a half years I can fully vouch for it.

https://youtu.be/nJzQdKKOMtU

Bearing in mind that the P4 has also had precision landing since July 2017 (V02.00.0106).

Other than testing I don't think I've ever landed using RTH.
2018-9-6
Use props
fansb35e09e6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19232 ft

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-6 12:16
Bearing in mind that the P4 has also had precision landing since July 2017 (V02.00.0106).

I too have precision landing expectations from all my DJI Drones.  We should have been told it’s not on Mavic 2 Zoom.  My result is I relied on it, it failed...I wasn’t quick enough to correct the landing, resulted in a crash, damaged camera / gimbal...sent in for repair.
2018-9-9
Use props
sparkies
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Being a new droner, I am really preferring manual flying! I always take off and land too manually. I just really need to practice circles, it ends up going oval :-(
2018-9-10
Use props
Cometman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 49455 ft

I am using this issue to learn how to control my drone for landing manually. Something every pilot should be able to do.
2018-9-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Cometman Posted at 2018-9-10 20:00
I am using this issue to learn how to control my drone for landing manually. Something every pilot should be able to do.

Manually landing is not that big a deal.  Unless we are talking about manual landing when drone switches to ATTI mode.  Especially if there is wind and objects nearby that result in dead air spots, up/down drafts, swirls, etc.

Real issue comes when connection between RC and Drone fail.  That is when RTH, coupled with precise landing can pay off.
2018-9-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-6 12:16

Did short time ago.  RC was still connected to drone.  But could not get RC to re-connect to CrystalSky.  Finally, power-cycled RC.  Which did get RC re-connected to CrystalSky.  At same time, power-cycling RC triggered auto RTH.  

By time everything was back to working, drone had already returned, and was overhead starting it's descent.  Decided it was better to let it continue triggered auto RTH, than throw monkey-wrench into works at that point, by me canceling and landing drone myself.

Happy to report RTH work, and drone landed nearly on top of spot it took off from.
2018-9-10
Use props
UPTGrad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1447884 ft
  • >>>

Just landed my Mavic 2 Pro a little after sunset, so it was a little dark.
When it got to about 10 feet, the landing lights came on.

Everyone around said  "Wowwww"
It lite the whole landing area.

Now, that's something previous Mavic's could not do.
That's my guess as to why they are still working on the software.
It will be pretty neat when complete.

2018-9-10
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-8-31 20:59
Being Mavic Pro can do precision landings, why can't MP2?

I'm sure it will, after all it's just firmware.....I would imagine DJI has other release plans and NEEDED to get the new Mavics into the hands of the users sooner than waiting......

There is a TON of stuff that was needed to get the release out.  Some things had to take a back burner.

For instance:  Precision Landing programing

After all, one CAN RTH, then take over the landing and have a VERY PRECISE landing point.

Where as OA was added,  and that programing was of higher value to the release........

Just some thoughts to ponder

Randy
2018-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules