Help Choosing Between Spark and Mavic Air
865 13 2018-8-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SoullesTraveler
lvl.1

Indonesia

Hello there, i need help choosing between Spark and Mavic Air, currently i can get the spark fly more combo for $545 and the Mavic Air fly more combo for $890 which one is more worth it at their price point? Is the Mavic air really worth the extra $450? I'm hearing the mavic air has so many problem, olease shed some light, thanks.
2018-8-31
Use props
Sky Donkey
Second Officer
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

If I had to buy new and had $900 then id buy the air …  

However, think about the second hand market.  With the release of the mavic 2 there are some mavic pros floating about.  If your worried about buying second hand yourself ..join a local drone club and ask someone local if they could assist you.. I had a phantom 3 advanced for 18 months before my current drone, and I purchased that second hand. And it was a great drone.
2018-9-1
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

You forgot to describe what you would use. If you just play for a hobby and make yourself a video, then Spark. If you want to make more serious videos for orders by others, M.A.
MavicAir 3 Axial Gimbal, 4K Camera, Cinema D-log Recording, Backward Sensor, etc.

Consider whether you can use more expensive drone, extra skills or not.
2018-9-1
Use props
SoullesTraveler
lvl.1

Indonesia

The Mavic 2 Isn't out yet here so there's not much second hand mavic pro. However new Mavic pro here cost roughly the same as Mavic Air which is $890 but only the basic package not the combo. I would like use my drone just to take videos here and there, maybe some editing, Mavic Air have better obstacle avoidance sensor then the spark, maybe its more "idiot proof"? And also, will the 2 axis gimbal be a problem in taking videos compare to 3 axis, in terms of smoothness?
2018-9-1
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi there, thank you for reaching DJI forum. They are both powerful drones but it will always depends on your needs and what you will be using the drone for. You can compare our drones using this link: (https://www.dji.com/products/com ... =brandsite&from=nav). Let us know if you have other concern. Thanks for your support.
2018-9-1
Use props
JJBspark
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

100% MA !  better in flytime, better in all, safer to fly ; less errors.
(I have a Spark and a MA)

cheers
JJB
2018-9-1
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Spark is easier to take when you travel - more light, smaller and 1080 resolution is good enough.
2018-9-1
Use props
SoullesTraveler
lvl.1

Indonesia

I'm leaning towards The Mavic Air tbh, but how about the range issue ?, i see complaints regarding range, stability and choppy video
2018-9-1
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

What is your budget?  How much money is available for something that will be flown and therefore could be lost?  You can get a better camera, remote, and flight time in the MA for the extra dollars over the price of a Spark.  For extra dollars over the MA, you can get the better camera in the Mavic 2 Pro.  For the extra dollars over the Mavic 2, you can get the better camera in the Inspire.  And so on, and so on.

Just remember that the pilot is fully capable of destroying the investment in a second (trees, ocean, cliffs) or simply letting it fly away.  So stick within your budget.
Spark charge.gif
2018-9-1
Use props
SoullesTraveler
lvl.1

Indonesia

Gunship9 Posted at 2018-9-1 08:25
What is your budget?  How much money is available for something that will be flown and therefore could be lost?  You can get a better camera, remote, and flight time in the MA for the extra dollars over the price of a Spark.  For extra dollars over the MA, you can get the better camera in the Mavic 2 Pro.  For the extra dollars over the Mavic 2, you can get the better camera in the Inspire.  And so on, and so on.

Just remember that the pilot is fully capable of destroying the investment in a second (trees, ocean, cliffs) or simply letting it fly away.  So stick within your budget.

Budget is around $900, but you got a good point there about the crash and flyaway,although i'm not going to use it beyond my line of sight, yet.
2018-9-1
Use props
Matt Sefton
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108570 ft
United Kingdom

If it’s your first drone I think there’s a lot to be said for starting small with the Spark. They’re pretty much bulletproof.
2018-9-1
Use props
Jakab Gipsz
Second Officer

Hungary

Matt Sefton Posted at 2018-9-1 09:33
If it’s your first drone I think there’s a lot to be said for starting small with the Spark. They’re pretty much bulletproof.

I can confirm this.

When I was new to him, I accidentally made a fir tree. He was not a propeller defender, so as he reached the tree, the propeller stopped and Spark fell.
It has not been damaged because its weight is small.

A few weeks down from 102m high, the battery rejected (known and underestimated weakness) dropped from 98m high. At that time, there was a propeller defender (I was printing 3D) and they broke up, but they protected Spark, did not scratch it, but it did fall into the grassy ground.

The choppy video and other problems are the latest firmware and the latest DJI GO app. caused. In the past, this was no problem. That is why I use earlier versions of everything and are unknown to these problems. I'm telling everyone, but the DJI's marketing is more powerful for everyone to upgrade ...

So buy Spark, use a propeller protector and a battery clamp, do not update the 00.0701 firm. above, use DJI GO 4.1.15. (mod) and OTG cable with a 7 "-10" tablet and you will be satisfied.
My works are:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2673186
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2899878

2018-9-1
Use props
Gunship9
Second Officer
United States

SoullesTraveler Posted at 2018-9-1 09:29
Budget is around $900, but you got a good point there about the crash and flyaway,although i'm not going to use it beyond my line of sight, yet.

Also, buy a Blade inductrix ready to fly micro drone from Amazon for $50 to practice with.  It flies perfectly indoors and lets you learn on a durable drone that won't break the bank if it crashes.  It is hard to damage as you gain flying skills and a feel for controlling a drone.  It is important that you not have to think about controlling it but instead feel the drone is an extension of your body/muscle memory.

The inductrix will also keep you from being tempted to fly the Air indoors.

2018-9-1
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

I would go with MA even though I bought the spark, not everyone can afford the MA.  
2018-9-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules