7165 118 2018-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blackwood
lvl.4

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-10 15:20
Blackwood, would you do the following test, at your convenience naturally:

1. Power the system up as usual.

If the rain holds off tomorrow afternoon, I have a flight then.  If I'm not racing again the weather and not rushed to get the job done, I'll do this test for you.
2018-9-11
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-9-10 17:47
I wonder why some have issues and others do not?

I was thinking about this hundred times ... Gee, look just at the electronics of this machines ... Sophistication and complexity, elements tolerances, factory calibration, connections reliability etc. Million chances for things to go not exactly the way they should, considering all aspects of given manufacturing quality, high or low, whatever.

On the other hand, when you look at these machines you start to wonder how is it possible at all that they  do what they do ... or attempt to do ...
2018-9-11
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-11 12:41
Vincent, you're embarrassing yourself ... I've read rants like that million times here and there ... DJI is aware of these issues. Failures are happening occasionally, most are fixed sooner or later, some left unsolved and fading into oblivion. My beloved Inspire 1 Pro was once performing flawlessly, steady like a rock. Now - after one particular FW update I don't even remember which - she's dancing in hover like a drunken sailor. And there's absolutely no chance DJI will address this issue ever, because Inspire 1 platform is obsolete and neglected.

Unfortunately there's no alternative. You can either leave or live with that. Scream and vent here as loud as you like, but they can't hear you at their's attitude (pun intended)...

True, take it or leave it. They have your money so no reason to move forward Said situation.
2018-9-11
Use props
OverRevved
lvl.1

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-9-11 16:52
True, take it or leave it. They have your money so no reason to move forward Said situation.

I JUST ordered my Inspire 2 and an x5s camera to go with it.  Am i going to be going through these issues as well?  I am a semi-novice pilot... Done a little FPV till i crashed into a tree branch with my first "real" quad.
2018-9-11
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

OverRevved Posted at 2018-9-11 21:23
I JUST ordered my Inspire 2 and an x5s camera to go with it.  Am i going to be going through these issues as well?  I am a semi-novice pilot... Done a little FPV till i crashed into a tree branch with my first "real" quad.

DJI have, at this moment, a lot of issues with some products.

For the Inspire 2, DJI recommends NOT to upgrade to the version that ends with .200 (latest). If for some reason you are on that version, you should downgrade to previous version (ends with .100).
2018-9-11
Use props
Flying Jack
lvl.2
Flight distance : 373832 ft

I tried turning my bird back to .100 but it always stopped at 79% with an error.  I'm obliged to use .200.  Someone else with the same problem when trying to downgrade?
2018-9-11
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

No, most likely you'll get fully functional machine, but - like Rob W said - don't rush with firmware upgrades. The Inspire 2 must be in Ready To Fly state off the box, assuming compatibility of a phone or tablet you're going to employ. If she's not for whatever reason, return the box ASAP and demand replacement. Firmware updates may be not necessary at all, despite alarming requirements displayed by Go 4 app. Finally, all updates can be carried later, after the drone functionality have been thoroughly tested and OK'd.
2018-9-11
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-11 13:15
I was thinking about this hundred times ... Gee, look just at the electronics of this machines ... Sophistication and complexity, elements tolerances, factory calibration, connections reliability etc. Million chances for things to go not exactly the way they should, considering all aspects of given manufacturing quality, high or low, whatever.

On the other hand, when you look at these machines you start to wonder how is it possible at all that they  do what they do ... or attempt to do ...

They are very capable and sophisticated. A blast to fly when everything is going right. And then an update that changes the whole picture.
2018-9-12
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just hold off on the updates for now. The Latest GO 4 App is the only update that I would do. Calibrate the compass on the I2 when you get it and you should be fine.
2018-9-12
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Flying Jack Posted at 2018-9-11 22:49
I tried turning my bird back to .100 but it always stopped at 79% with an error.  I'm obliged to use .200.  Someone else with the same problem when trying to downgrade?

Which operating system are you using? I have not tried to back up yet. I parked it after my last mishap.
2018-9-12
Use props
OverRevved
lvl.1

THABK YOU ALL a million times over!!  Had I not found this forum and this post.....   Eeee gad.....  I can't imagine how upset I would be!!
I KNOW that I'd have followed those alarming warnings to upgrade software. In fact, it's one of the first things they tell you to do in the quick start guide if I do remember!
Thanks, again for all the help! You all are freakin' awesome!
2018-9-12
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Flying Jack Posted at 2018-9-11 22:49

I had problems when downgrading/upgrading from the beta of .200 - to the point that DJI wanted me to send in the drone, and I was not the only one with these problems. Things are really getting messy with the latest firmwares.

Here are some tips that might help:

- Try having your transmitter on or off during downgrade. If you had it on while downgrading - then turn it off and try again,  or vice versa.

- Run DJI Assistant from different OS:es if you can, Windows or MacOS.

- If you have an X7 camera, put on the X5S camera if you have one while downgrading.

Hope DJI get their act together, and that quickly - It's really unprofessionally handled, with no news regarding the issues, no fix in sight, and several issues all over their product lines.
2018-9-12
Use props
OverRevved
lvl.1

Was this update a beta version or a full release?  What features did they add with this update?

I tried replying sooner but got this error. Normally I'm good with "Chinglish", however this one has me baffled. (sorry if it doesn't upload)
2018-9-12
Use props
rent
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
Russia

OverRevved Posted at 2018-9-12 06:09
Was this update a beta version or a full release?  What features did they add with this update?

I tried replying sooner but got this error. Normally I'm good with "Chinglish", however this one has me baffled. (sorry if it doesn't upload)

In Chinese, "hair" and "post" (as in posting a reply) can be the same character, though with slightly different pronunciations. It's really saying something to the effect that you've exceeded your hourly posting limit.
2018-9-12
Use props
Flying Jack
lvl.2
Flight distance : 373832 ft

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-9-12 03:49
Which operating system are you using? I have not tried to back up yet. I parked it after my last mishap.

Mac OS Sierra
2018-9-12
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

OverRevved Posted at 2018-9-12 06:09

Relatively trouble-free FW for DJI Inspire 2 is the issue we're all trying to solve at this moment (September 12/2018). This is the very first thing to determine on ABOUT page of Go4 app as soon as you get access to.
Said that, the FW version on off-the-shelf aircraft will be directly related to manufacturing date, which can be found on the box, just below SN scanning bars. My Inspire was boxed June 2018 with FW 01.01.0100, and - by far - she's performing as expected. However, keep in mind that older FW may be fully compatible with older versions of Go 4 app only. Again and again, stay away from FW .0200 and don't worry much about minor extra features added in this infected version ...
2018-9-12
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-12 11:11
Relatively trouble-free FW for DJI Inspire 2 is the issue we're all trying to solve at this moment (September 12/2018). This is the very first thing to determine on ABOUT page of Go4 app as soon as you get access to.
Said that, the FW version on off-the-shelf aircraft will be directly related to manufacturing date, which can be found on the box, just below SN scanning bars. My Inspire was boxed June 2018 with FW 01.01.0100, and - by far - she's performing as expected. However, keep in mind that older FW may be fully compatible with older versions of Go 4 app only. Again and again, stay away from FW .0200 and don't worry much about minor extra features added in this infected version ...

Mat, any idea where the previous version is located? I don't see it under Downloads.
2018-9-12
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I can't even find the earlier version for my paperweight.
2018-9-12
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-9-12 11:36
Mat, any idea where the previous version is located? I don't see it under Downloads.

These are available via Assistant ...
2018-9-12
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-12 11:55
These are available via Assistant ...

Thanks. I never had to do this before this mess.
2018-9-13
Use props
Nicksons
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2668717 ft
Argentina

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-11 12:41
Vincent, you're embarrassing yourself ... I've read rants like that million times here and there ... DJI is aware of these issues. Failures are happening occasionally, most are fixed sooner or later, some left unsolved and fading into oblivion. My beloved Inspire 1 Pro was once performing flawlessly, steady like a rock. Now - after one particular FW update I don't even remember which - she's dancing in hover like a drunken sailor. And there's absolutely no chance DJI will address this issue ever, because Inspire 1 platform is obsolete and neglected.

Unfortunately there's no alternative. You can either leave or live with that. Scream and vent here as loud as you like, but they can't hear you at their's attitude (pun intended)...

Thats call obsolescence, its typical from all major tech companies, If they make a product for ever lasting, none of the will survive... 2 or 3 years old device, its like a limit for them, so they make compulsory updates to damage the systems performance, taking cake not to be notorious of what they are doing, until the day they stop giving any kind of support, letting the product be forgotten by time...
2018-9-13
Use props
Nicksons
lvl.3
Argentina

You are going to be using a pro drone, If you have any experience it will be enough... Just remember, you are flying a big truck, you need space for manoeuvre, for stopping, and understanding the fast responding and speed of this drone, until you get the confidence.. Its a precise machine, that if its maintained it works perfect, your concerns about Issues are normal in all devices, you´ll learn to live with them... Im sure you jump on this boat because you know what you are doing, keep on, there is nothing to be afraid off.. Here we are all pilots, dji experts, and mainly friends, to give some help in case you need it... Have nice flights!!!
2018-9-13
Use props
Nicksons
lvl.3
Argentina

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-9-12 11:40
I can't even find the earlier version for my paperweight.

you can downgrade via IOS device, just click and hold the bars icon on the top right of the main screen on DJI 4 App. You need to have everything connected remote and drone.... The assistant also works, you shouldnt have problems with it....
2018-9-13
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

Nicksons Posted at 2018-9-13 12:48
Thats call obsolescence, its typical from all major tech companies, If they make a product for ever lasting, none of the will survive... 2 or 3 years old device, its like a limit for them, so they make compulsory updates to damage the systems performance, taking cake not to be notorious of what they are doing, until the day they stop giving any kind of support, letting the product be forgotten by time...

Oh, I'm not sure about "compulsory updates to damage the systems performance", that's a conspiracy theory posted here many times as well. Every developer has limited resources to keep older, slowly vanishing products under the same care as new ones, no surprise. When a particular product is reaching such age, usually hackers and modders are taking over. But, guess what: apparently no one is smart enough to break in and offer better, fault-free FW for Inspire 1, not to mention I2 . Not even notoriously efficient Russians, as far as I know ...
2018-9-13
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Nicksons Posted at 2018-9-13 13:02
you can downgrade via IOS device, just click and hold the bars icon on the top right of the main screen on DJI 4 App. You need to have everything connected remote and drone.... The assistant also works, you shouldnt have problems with it....

Thanks, they must be ingesting some really good stuff over there!
2018-9-13
Use props
Nicksons
lvl.3
Argentina

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-13 13:52
Oh, I'm not sure about "compulsory updates to damage the systems performance", that's a conspiracy theory posted here many times as well. Every developer has limited resources to keep older, slowly vanishing products under the same care as new ones, no surprise. When a particular product is reaching such age, usually hackers and modders are taking over. But, guess what: apparently no one is smart enough to break in and offer better, fault-free FW for Inspire 1, not to mention I2 . Not even notoriously efficient Russians, as far as I know ...

Believe it or not average lifetime of all new devices is about 3 years, maybe the system works, but surely you will lose support, regarding what you are saying in creating a new firmware, a fake one, it’ is posible to do it, but certainly if you publish something like that online you will have the FBI or Interpol at your place for piracy, that’s why nobody it’s so stupid to do it, centainly you would not like to go against these monster industries like apple Samsung or even Dji ...there are some people  modifying their own drones firms, some are saying how to do it , but never been  straight  for download..
2018-9-13
Use props
bachir_photo_ph
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20013228 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

i bought my inspire last week, and went through all your messages here, so i guess this drifting in normal after the latest firmware ?

please have a look here https://we.tl/t-V7qrogdoJj
2018-9-14
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

bachir_photo_ph Posted at 2018-9-14 03:18
i bought my inspire last week, and went through all your messages here, so i guess this drifting in normal after the latest firmware ?

please have a look here https://we.tl/t-V7qrogdoJj

That may be a Gimbal issue. Try doing a Gimbal calibration. The drifting that everyone has mentioned is the Inspire itself dancing around. It will not stay in one place like a Phantom which is rock solid. The latest update was supposed to address that issue and it did but the update brought along a host of other issues. The lates GO 4 update helps as well. That seems to be stable. Check some Youtube videos and you will see the drifting that is being discussed. The Inspire 2 should be as solid as a Phantom and then some. But, it has not been that way from the get go.
2018-9-14
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-9-14 04:13
That may be a Gimbal issue. Try doing a Gimbal calibration. The drifting that everyone has mentioned is the Inspire itself dancing around. It will not stay in one place like a Phantom which is rock solid. The latest update was supposed to address that issue and it did but the update brought along a host of other issues. The lates GO 4 update helps as well. That seems to be stable. Check some Youtube videos and you will see the drifting that is being discussed. The Inspire 2 should be as solid as a Phantom and then some. But, it has not been that way from the get go.

I'm not very sure the .200 firmware fixed the drifting issue for all. I flew with .200 and 45 mm on a near windless evening and clearly noticed gimbal drifting. All calibrations freshly done (IMU, camera, compass etc.), and yet the gimbal drifted in yaw. The drone itself was steady as a rock 2 meters above ground, I tested flying forward/backwards, side to side, before lifting to about 40-50 meters.

Granted, a drifting is more prominent with the 45 mm than a more wide angle lens, and probably it was some more wind at 40-50 meters, but it for sure drifted more than it should.
2018-9-14
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rob W Posted at 2018-9-14 05:35
I'm not very sure the .200 firmware fixed the drifting issue for all. I flew with .200 and 45 mm on a near windless evening and clearly noticed gimbal drifting. All calibrations freshly done (IMU, camera, compass etc.), and yet the gimbal drifted in yaw. The drone itself was steady as a rock 2 meters above ground, I tested flying forward/backwards, side to side, before lifting to about 40-50 meters.

Granted, a drifting is more prominent with the 45 mm than a more wide angle lens, and probably it was some more wind at 40-50 meters, but it for sure drifted more than it should.

The 200 along with the latest GO 4 update clearly fixed the drifting of the Inspire itself. But it introduced other issues including the Gimbal issues. That was my point. The previous update DJI reccomended doing a calibration of the compass, Imu and gimbal after the update.
2018-9-14
Use props
Blackwood
lvl.4

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-9-14 06:21
The 200 along with the latest GO 4 update clearly fixed the drifting of the Inspire itself. But it introduced other issues including the Gimbal issues. That was my point. The previous update DJI reccomended doing a calibration of the compass, Imu and gimbal after the update.

Yep, those calibrations should be done after every firmware update whether they say to do it or not.  As soon as my firmware updates complete, I immediately calibrate everything before I got a step further.
2018-9-14
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-9-14 06:21

Ah, sorry, I then misunderstood you. We are on the same page
2018-9-14
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Rob W Posted at 2018-9-14 07:04
Ah, sorry, I then misunderstood you. We are on the same page

Not a problem
2018-9-14
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Blackwood Posted at 2018-9-14 06:56
Yep, those calibrations should be done after every firmware update whether they say to do it or not.  As soon as my firmware updates complete, I immediately calibrate everything before I got a step further.

Best to go over all of your settings as well, as, some return to the default.
2018-9-14
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

I had been reading this I2 forum for a long time......there just seems to be too danged many issues with the I2, hardware, fw, batteries.......

Almost bought one 6months ago.......really glad I didn't, and instead use my P4Pro for jobs,  all jobs.....not TV or movies.   And then bought a used I1....what's cool, I can go fly anytime, weather permitting, just charge batteries and go fly.  She works every time, and also use her on occasion for a job here or there.  Also nice having a backup bird onsite for a job.........

Randy
2018-9-17
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-9-17 10:52
I had been reading this I2 forum for a long time......there just seems to be too danged many issues with the I2, hardware, fw, batteries.......

Almost bought one 6months ago.......really glad I didn't, and instead use my P4Pro for jobs,  all jobs.....not TV or movies.   And then bought a used I1....what's cool, I can go fly anytime, weather permitting, just charge batteries and go fly.  She works every time, and also use her on occasion for a job here or there.  Also nice having a backup bird onsite for a job.........

It's all about what suits you and your expectations. Inspire 1 is still a very solid performer, yet she can't do many things Inspire 2 can, i.e. high resolution panoramic imagery. And there's no more or no less issues with Inspire 2 than with any other DJI product during first several months after release. Or with any hi-tech product, in general.
2018-9-17
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-17 12:08
It's all about what suits you and your expectations. Inspire 1 is still a very solid performer, yet she can't do many things Inspire 2 can, i.e. high resolution panoramic imagery. And there's no more or no less issues with Inspire 2 than with any other DJI product during first several months after release. Or with any hi-tech product, in general.

There is a Price/Performance expectation when investing $6000+ into and aerial camera solution.

Based on the price of admission, I would have to guess the % of I2 issues related to units sold is much higher than most of the sub $1600 units......as a Percentage of units sold.  That's what made me hold off!

I absolutely agree with what you said......and I just didn't "need" that level,  YET.   But I would be just as upset at the issues presented as all the OP's,  had I bought and couldn't shoot a job when needed.

Randy
2018-9-17
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-9-17 12:52
There is a Price/Performance expectation when investing $6000+ into and aerial camera solution.

Based on the price of admission, I would have to guess the % of I2 issues related to units sold is much higher than most of the sub $1600 units......as a Percentage of units sold.  That's what made me hold off!

Correct, Price/Performance factor is upsetting people the most. Yet, it's very easy to ignore the fact that this factor - in case of DJI product line - is among the best in industry. Another words, incredibly affordable piece of technology is capable to deliver things which a year or two ago will require 50-75K investment in equipment with similar talents. For this reason alone I'm willing to accept occasional hiccups and minor issues with Inspire 2, which I was lucky to avoid by far. Many other pilots doesn't experience them as well, but they don't bother to show up ...
2018-9-17
Use props
Rob W
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-17 14:43
Correct, Price/Performance factor is upsetting people the most. Yet, it's very easy to ignore the fact that this factor - in case of DJI product line - is among the best in industry. Another words, incredibly affordable piece of technology is capable to deliver things which a year or two ago will require 50-75K investment in equipment with similar talents. For this reason alone I'm willing to accept occasional hiccups and minor issues with Inspire 2, which I was lucky to avoid by far. Many other pilots doesn't experience them as well, but they don't bother to show up ...

I agree to most part, but I want to add a bit to it. Sure, DJI have a good hardware product line, the pricing of their products are mostly ok, while some are incredible expensive for what they are. There is not much competition out there with DJI, the other companies are so much smaller, so DJI is the best out there, but best is not equal to good at all times.

I would like to separate consumer products and professional products. I could live with it if a DJI Spark needed a firmware update or two, to get rid of small harmless bugs and add some features.

However, with professional products I expect more. I pay more for the hardware, I pay more to DJI for product development, I pay more for support. The buyers of an Inspire 2 is for the most part professional photographers or filmmakers, they buy the Inspire 2 (or what ever the professional drone is) to making a living - earn money.

That makes the drone a central cog in their investment and work. Often the drone is only a part of the total cost also, you might have invested in CrystalSkies, several camera lenses, iPad/Android tablets (due to DJI not supporting their software on both products), many spare batteries, cases, video production computers/monitors, audio equipment, software... Besides that, you probably have some other DJI drones, maybe a Mavic for carrying around, scouting or filming at difficult places. Add some batteries to that one, too.

The Inspire 2 is far from being the new kid on the block in DJI's product line. It was released in the end of 2016 if I remember correctly. So the hardware is very well know by DJI developers, as well as the software/firmware code for it. Still, 1 year after release, we get a firmware that is so buggy that DJI officially wants us not to install it, but to downgrade to a previous firmware (that is not perfect either). 2 months after release, we still don't have any information about a fix.

So, for many people trying to make a living, the most important cog in their investment and company, keeps on failing. Personally I'm waiting for a bug correction on the A3, I wait on updates for the CrystalSky (promised close to release of the buggy Inspire 2 .200 release. I wait on a fixed Inspire 2 firmware, I wait on updates on the Mavic 2 Pro for the crippled camera.

Constant incomplete firmwares not delivering, or buggy firmwares, or late firmware/software releases makes people angry, with all rights I would say. Not everyone angry is here on this forum either, but on other forums. I also think that many does not bother to say anything, they know it probably is pointless.
2018-9-17
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
First Officer
  • >>>

Rob W Posted at 2018-9-17 21:25
I agree to most part, but I want to add a bit to it. Sure, DJI have a good hardware product line, the pricing of their products are mostly ok, while some are incredible expensive for what they are. There is not much competition out there with DJI, the other companies are so much smaller, so DJI is the best out there, but best is not equal to good at all times.

I would like to separate consumer products and professional products. I could live with it if a DJI Spark needed a firmware update or two, to get rid of small harmless bugs and add some features.

I see your point clearly. The efficiency of DJI's after sale service is far from perfection by all means. However we must assume that they're doing their best to solve occasional issues as soon as humanly possible. Unless ... they're on suicidal path, which is hardly the scenario.

One argument of this refreshingly vibrant discussion, however, hit me hard. You wrote:

The buyers of an Inspire 2 are for the most part professional photographers or filmmakers, they buy the Inspire 2 (...) to make a living - earn money. That makes the drone a central cog in their investment and work.

No, I must disagree. I mean - yes, mostly professionals. But establishing a single drone as a central, pivoting point of professional enterprise is absurdly unrealistic. Naive, desperate attempt to make a living off Mavic? ... An attractive addition to a long list of professional photo/video equipment - yes, perhaps. Any professional firmly anchored in - say - geomapping or surveying business may survive or even thrive with a fleet of at least 3 drones. There's no way all three will be parked simultaneously due to an unfortunate FW update. That's what makes a difference in our definition of professionalism ...
2018-9-18
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules