Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Latest Inspire 2 Update a Total Disaster
7072 118 2018-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Altitude Drones
First Officer
Flight distance : 1488520 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry mate but I beg to differ.

I own 1 I2. I use it on a regular basis as a professional drone operator.

My core business is video production and my drone currently takes up about 35% of my work.

My I2 is insured to the hilt and I could afford to replace it but there is no way I can justify a fleet of the same AC when the price is so high.

I'm very careful with FW updates and practice safe flying in general - so so far so good.

When DJI force me to update the AC FW because the batteries that power my AC now need replacing and the replacements are now running a new FW that is incompatible with my original AC FW, we have a very interesting situation.

Even if I had 10 I2's sitting as spares it seems that I would have to eventually have to update the AC FW as the batteries need replacing due to use of cycles .

I'd also like to add that I've spent the past two years filming at F1 Circuits around Europe with my I2 on a regular basis with much success and repetitive work.

That's what makes a difference in our definition of professionalism ...

No offence
2018-9-18
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Altitude Drones Posted at 2018-9-18 11:58

I own 1 I2. I use it on a regular basis as a professional drone operator.

What is your point !!
2018-9-18
Use props
Altitude Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

That I'm a professional drone operator with one I2 and I need a FW that works before all my batteries need replacing.

Why are you shouting
2018-9-18
Use props
Altitude Drones
First Officer
United Kingdom

Apologies - I should have highlighted "That's what makes a difference in our definition of professionalism ..." from the thread above mine to make my post easier to understand.
2018-9-18
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>

Altitude Drones Posted at 2018-9-18 11:58

I own 1 I2. I use it on a regular basis as a professional drone operator.

Oh, no offence taken. Civilized discussion is conducted so far by all involved parties, sadly DJI excluded.

Anyway, perhaps I should articulate my opinion differently. My point is that Inspire 2 is not expensive at all. In contrary it's cheap IMHO, considering the value of goods she can potentially deliver. In truly professional film-making environment similar results could be achieved only with way, way more expensive setup. Heavy octa/hexa-copter, carrying Ronin class gimbal with RED camera. Complex monitoring system for camera operator and director. Etc, etc. DJI revolutionized the industry offering truly affordable tool and unleashing legions of independent producers. Unfortunately affordability comes with a backfires, and weak after-sale support is one of them. These new-born independent filmmakers are trying to penetrate oversaturated market, at the same time struggling with limited resources and mass-manufactured, cheap and occasionally failing equipment. That's the reality of DJI world we're all dealing with, like it or not. Expecting the service only Lamborgini owners are paying for is a mistake. We're driving BMW's, eventually ...
2018-9-18
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Altitude Drones Posted at 2018-9-18 12:10
That I'm a professional drone operator with one I2 and I need a FW that works before all my batteries need replacing.

Why are you shouting

I am not shouting! You are stating that people posting here are unprofessional. I do not understand where you are coming from. The latest update is a disaster, but apparently not for you and the rest of us are not capable of flight unhindered other than you. I guess the rest of us do not understand the update process. Please enlighten us as to the proper update process so we can assume the professional status as you have. There must be special instructions that we did not follow?
2018-9-18
Use props
Rob W
Captain
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-18 10:38
I see your point clearly. The efficiency of DJI's after sale service is far from perfection by all means. However we must assume that they're doing their best to solve occasional issues as soon as humanly possible. Unless ... they're on suicidal path, which is hardly the scenario.

One argument of this refreshingly vibrant discussion, however, hit me hard. You wrote:

That was my point, that those making a living in the drone business probably have several drones, and likely from the same company as to ease updates, hardware investments, software learning, workflow etc. So the effects of, for instance, of some bad firmwares for some of their products, from that same drone maker can be severe. Which I would say is the case with DJI.
Calling out on unprofessionalism towards me because I just used two drone models as an example with currently buggy or "featureless" firmwares, I would say was sad to read. Personally I have P3 and P4 for mapping and surveying, Spark (for fun), Mavic 2 Pro (for fun so far), 2 Inspire 1 Pro and RAW, Flir XT highres and radiometric, S900 A3 with X5 mount, Inspire 2. The Nazas I have retired long ago... Osmo for handheld (X5/X5R).

Of course, one with limitless pockets can buy 1 highend drone from every different drone maker, or why not 2 and use one for spare? Enough professionalism?

I admire DJI for what they have done, but sadly their development chain and quality control is not on par with what they announce.

2018-9-18
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
  • >>>

Rob W Posted at 2018-9-18 21:13
That was my point, that those making a living in the drone business probably have several drones, and likely from the same company as to ease updates, hardware investments, software learning, workflow etc. So the effects of, for instance, of some bad firmwares for some of their products, from that same drone maker can be severe. Which I would say is the case with DJI.
Calling out on unprofessionalism towards me because I just used two drone models as an example with currently buggy or "featureless" firmwares, I would say was sad to read. Personally I have P3 and P4 for mapping and surveying, Spark (for fun), Mavic 2 Pro (for fun so far), 2 Inspire 1 Pro and RAW, Flir XT highres and radiometric, S900 A3 with X5 mount, Inspire 2. The Nazas I have retired long ago... Osmo for handheld (X5/X5R).

Rob, you wrote:

" ... one with limitless pockets can buy 1 high-end drone from every different drone maker, or why not 2 and use one for spare? Enough professionalism? ..."

... English is my second tongue and probably that's the reason for misunderstandings. So, here we go again:

1. Professionalism is not measured by the amount of money invested in equipment.

2. Instead, the attitude of an hired individual reflects his/her professionalism. The quality of service goes second and is not directly related to investment in equipment.

3. Truly professional equipment isn't labelled PRO.

4. Ranting about flaws of intentionally affordable (cheap?) equipment is unprofessional.  
2018-9-18
Use props
Rob W
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-18 23:35
Rob, you wrote:

" ... one with limitless pockets can buy 1 high-end drone from every different drone maker, or why not 2 and use one for spare? Enough professionalism? ..."

Yes, then we are more on the same page. English is not my primary language either.

I know very well that the cameras etc. on DJI drones are not on par with Alexas and DJI's drones are cheaper than Freefly Altas. Thats is probably what you mean with pro stuff - and yes, it is.

For DJI's product line he Pro stuff is Inspires, So we who own might drive BMW's while Hollywood professionals may fly Altas and Red cameras, driving Lamborghinis. I get it is a difference.

But what I and many others complain about, is the continual bugs in firmwares and softwares, that is frankly in my view, unprofessional. DJI support their consumer products better than their Pro products. That a product is cheaper than another product, does not make it ok for it to be flawed.

As an example regarding car models that you referred to, would you be ok with that your brand new BMW 6 car was unsteady on the road, and that the announced 315 HP was instead 120 HP, and after an update at your service station, it got 190 HP, and the AC stopped working? Yes, the upholstery is nice, though.

I'll leave it at that, thank's. You all have a nice day!

2018-9-19
Use props
Altitude Drones
First Officer

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-18 13:27
Oh, no offence taken. Civilized discussion is conducted so far by all involved parties, sadly DJI excluded.

Anyway, perhaps I should articulate my opinion differently. My point is that Inspire 2 is not expensive at all. In contrary it's cheap IMHO, considering the value of goods she can potentially deliver. In truly professional film-making environment similar results could be achieved only with way, way more expensive setup. Heavy octa/hexa-copter, carrying Ronin class gimbal with RED camera. Complex monitoring system for camera operator and director. Etc, etc. DJI revolutionized the industry offering truly affordable tool and unleashing legions of independent producers. Unfortunately affordability comes with a backfires, and weak after-sale support is one of them. These new-born independent filmmakers are trying to penetrate oversaturated market, at the same time struggling with limited resources and mass-manufactured, cheap and occasionally failing equipment. That's the reality of DJI world we're all dealing with, like it or not. Expecting the service only Lamborgini owners are paying for is a mistake. We're driving BMW's, eventually ...

Yep, I see your point.

Guess at my level 10K is a lot of bucks but your right when you say if it wasn't for DJI I'd be spending a load more.

Cheers
2018-9-19
Use props
Altitude Drones
First Officer

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-9-18 17:23
I am not shouting! You are stating that people posting here are unprofessional. I do not understand where you are coming from. The latest update is a disaster, but apparently not for you and the rest of us are not capable of flight unhindered other than you. I guess the rest of us do not understand the update process. Please enlighten us as to the proper update process so we can assume the professional status as you have. There must be special instructions that we did not follow?

Sorry man but '!!!' in my dictionary usually means shouting.

I wasn't trying to start an argument.

If you re-read my post, you may read that I was trying to say that just because you don't have 3 I2's doesn't mean your unprofessional.

To enlighten you to my update process that keeps me using my drone professionally is quite simple:

Never update unless you really have to.

If you read my post again you may read that I'm been forced into updating because of battery replacement issues. So even though I haven't updated yet and had to deal with all the issues, I soon will have to in order to keep my bird in the air.

I'm sorry that I've caused you to be upset by stating that I use my drone professionally. I expect that many of the members do exactly the same. I was just trying to highlight the seriousness of the situation.

As I said before - No offense.

2018-9-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
  • >>>

Rob W Posted at 2018-9-19 00:57
Yes, then we are more on the same page. English is not my primary language either.

I know very well that the cameras etc. on DJI drones are not on par with Alexas and DJI's drones are cheaper than Freefly Altas. Thats is probably what you mean with pro stuff - and yes, it is.

And that's the spirit of any forum I would like to be part of! No, I'm not expecting anybody to agree with my point of view unconditionally. But mutual respect and ability to conduct civilized conversation is always welcomed here.

Bottom line is that DJI Inspire 2 - with all minor but indeed frustrating FW/HW flaws - is an amazing piece of technology. Most importantly, this technology is within reach of mature enthusiasts, hobbyists, amateur photographers and independent filmmakers. For that I'm willing to keep my hat off permanently, absorbing occasional frustrations involved. You've got what you've paid for, simple like that ... Case closed.
2018-9-19
Use props
UAS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2717687 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-9-3 19:28
By the way, the yaw response is slow because after the FW update DJI resets this in the App to 50%
It needs to be set at 100% for normal flight mode.
camera  icon; gumball settings / advanced settings;  on the top Yaw = 100%  slider all the way to the right

Rich do you know if there is as way to push a set of prescribed setting to DJI Go 4; say like a company standard for theses cases when a FW updates resets things?
2018-9-19
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 150932 ft
United States

I just got  notice to update I2 to FW 02.01.0200. Anyone seen this?
2018-9-19
Use props
FanOfFlight
First Officer
Flight distance : 1983760 ft
Canada

AvatarAir Posted at 2018-9-19 15:28

Did you try the update yet to  02.01.0200
I don't have my I2 with me, its out for a repair, looks like some cable came loose inside and is rubbing the fan, ort I would try this update...  I hope its an improvement!
2018-9-19
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

UAS@HDR Posted at 2018-9-19 13:34
Rich do you know if there is as way to push a set of prescribed setting to DJI Go 4; say like a company standard for theses cases when a FW updates resets things?

Hi UAS

I am not an expert, but from my experience when DJI is pushing out the new FW software it can change many default settings. I am not aware of anyway to stop this from happening. This is why I use an series of screenshot photos with all of my settings, that can be used to speed up my process.

Hope that helps you, maybe someone else has some other ideas on this point.

Rich
2018-9-19
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I haven't I parked it.
2018-9-19
Use props
Second Officer
Flight distance : 150932 ft
United States

FanOfFlight Posted at 2018-9-19 15:39
Did you try the update yet to  02.01.0200
I don't have my I2 with me, its out for a repair, looks like some cable came loose inside and is rubbing the fan, ort I would try this update...  I hope its an improvement!

Waiting for batteries to charge.
2018-9-19
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
  • >>>

AvatarAir Posted at 2018-9-19 16:01
Waiting for batteries to charge.

Everybody should find this red acclamation sign on status page of Go 4 app, I guess. I didn't so far. Anyway, since my bird is behaving splendidly, I'll hold my horses for a while and keep flying with .0100 ...
2018-9-19
Use props
Rob W
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-19 11:16
And that's the spirit of any forum I would like to be part of! No, I'm not expecting anybody to agree with my point of view unconditionally. But mutual respect and ability to conduct civilized conversation is always welcomed here.

Bottom line is that DJI Inspire 2 - with all minor but indeed frustrating FW/HW flaws - is an amazing piece of technology. Most importantly, this technology is within reach of mature enthusiasts, hobbyists, amateur photographers and independent filmmakers. For that I'm willing to keep my hat off permanently, absorbing occasional frustrations involved. You've got what you've paid for, simple like that ... Case closed.

I could not agree more, the Inspire 2 is an amazing piece of technology. It is just sad to see that DJI devs are not letting it be that, and directly from start. Instead we keep seeing new bugs introduced long into its lifespan.

I do hope that DJI fix these issues, and really soon. I also do hope that DJI would start to focus some on quality software/firmware released, open up for public betas again so many more people can help to squash the bugs before release. The communication from DJI to their customers is also something that should be worked on. In this case with this firmware, they are still pumping it out to users, announcing it on their homepage - But it is so buggy that they want us not to use it, support says we should downgrade to the previous firmware.
2018-9-19
Use props
Alex Dawson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1787395 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

There is no new firmware as of last night. This is the bad firmware version this thread is all about.

kind regards // Alex
2018-9-19
Use props
Rob W
Captain
  • >>>
Sweden

Alex Dawson Posted at 2018-9-19 22:46
There is no new firmware as of last night. This is the bad firmware version this thread is all about.

kind regards // Alex

Ok, it is not the mix firmware then, .100 with ProRes, that some people have.
2018-9-19
Use props
DRAGenDROP
First Officer
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-11 12:41
Vincent, you're embarrassing yourself ... I've read rants like that million times here and there ... DJI is aware of these issues. Failures are happening occasionally, most are fixed sooner or later, some left unsolved and fading into oblivion. My beloved Inspire 1 Pro was once performing flawlessly, steady like a rock. Now - after one particular FW update I don't even remember which - she's dancing in hover like a drunken sailor. And there's absolutely no chance DJI will address this issue ever, because Inspire 1 platform is obsolete and neglected.

Unfortunately there's no alternative. You can either leave or live with that. Scream and vent here as loud as you like, but they can't hear you at their's attitude (pun intended)...

stil when we say noting, really nothing will happen.
S just to say nothing is not the way we life here!, when something is wrong!
You start talking about us ( we do not keep the mouth shut).
i do not care that you did read this story 100 times, I am not here  to please you!
when we keep quiet than you really know notting will happen!
we do not do that my friend
2018-9-20
Use props
UAS
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2717687 ft
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-9-19 15:42
Hi UAS

I am not an expert, but from my experience when DJI is pushing out the new FW software it can change many default settings. I am not aware of anyway to stop this from happening. This is why I use an series of screenshot photos with all of my settings, that can be used to speed up my process.

Thanks Rich,

I have a full set of screen shots for what our standard settings are too.  Just curious if there was a faster way to push the settings across, especially with multiple pilots.  Thanks for the reply and as you said maybe someone else has an idea.  
2018-9-20
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Update: I reverted back to 100 and things are normal again.
2018-10-5
Use props
vpierre
lvl.3

Suriname

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-10-5 06:17
Update: I reverted back to 100 and things are normal again.

I downgrade too to 100 but now when I landing the camera turn to 90 degres .always problem with DJI and firmware and we never get a clear answer
2018-10-5
Use props
Rodger8
Captain
  • >>>
United States

vpierre Posted at 2018-10-5 08:45
I downgrade too to 100 but now when I landing the camera turn to 90 degres .always problem with DJI and firmware and we never get a clear answer

That was a problem that the 200 was supposed to take care of. When you power up the camera will go forward. Try the latest GO 4 App and do a Gimbal Calibration.
2018-10-5
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-10 15:20
Blackwood, would you do the following test, at your convenience naturally:

1. Power the system up as usual.

I've now had to downgrade back to .100.  For the first 3-4 flights with .200, everything was great then slowly with each additional flight I started getting all the symptoms everyone else was getting.  The day before I was scheduled to do a flight out of state, it really got bad, so I did the downgrade.

One thing me an my VO did observe, was that the landing gear warning was more than just a warning.  Each time the warning popped up, we saw the aircraft tilt heavily to one side as though it was actually attempting to change configuration while travelling forward at a high rate of speed.  That's not good.
2018-10-8
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
  • >>>

Blackwood Posted at 2018-10-8 09:01
I've now had to downgrade back to .100.  For the first 3-4 flights with .200, everything was great then slowly with each additional flight I started getting all the symptoms everyone else was getting.  The day before I was scheduled to do a flight out of state, it really got bad, so I did the downgrade.

One thing me an my VO did observe, was that the landing gear warning was more than just a warning.  Each time the warning popped up, we saw the aircraft tilt heavily to one side as though it was actually attempting to change configuration while travelling forward at a high rate of speed.  That's not good.

Hmm, .0200 syndrome is definitely one of the most puzzling issues I've ever encountered with DJI drones during my 4-year long experience. It looks like a plague, a virus affecting some Inspires of weak immunity, but not everyone with exactly identical symptoms. They'll find a cure and the plague will go away, sooner or later. Hopefully before the entire Inspire 2 civilization will be wiped out ...
2018-10-8
Use props
DRAGenDROP
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-9-11 16:52
True, take it or leave it. They have your money so no reason to move forward Said situation.

Thats wy. notting will change, keep you mouth and wait
2018-10-14
Use props
DRAGenDROP
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-17 14:43
Correct, Price/Performance factor is upsetting people the most. Yet, it's very easy to ignore the fact that this factor - in case of DJI product line - is among the best in industry. Another words, incredibly affordable piece of technology is capable to deliver things which a year or two ago will require 50-75K investment in equipment with similar talents. For this reason alone I'm willing to accept occasional hiccups and minor issues with Inspire 2, which I was lucky to avoid by far. Many other pilots doesn't experience them as well, but they don't bother to show up ...

Ah the god is speaking again, go to sleep, you are happy, you did tell us that so many times, we do not need to here that anymore!
We like to here interesting stuff, like the people that have solutions for the problems they have now with the bad updates.
People like you that have no problems can talk somewhere else and show off how great they are!
2018-10-14
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
  • >>>

DRAGenDROP Posted at 2018-10-14 10:58
Ah the god is speaking again, go to sleep, you are happy, you did tell us that so many times, we do not need to here that anymore!
We like to here interesting stuff, like the people that have solutions for the problems they have now with the bad updates.
People like you that have no problems can talk somewhere else and show off how great they are!

Oh, I've been called a "fanboy" many times, and I'm proud to be ...
2018-10-14
Use props
djiuser_cRiUnK5guA5Y
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2184895 ft
United States

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-1 11:45
This is driving me crazy! Some guys are flying happy, some are reporting totally messed birds. I'm about to purchase Inspire 2 ... Drop everything, Mr. Wang, and fix this mess immediately, please !!!

I want to fly my inspire  2 it didn't  respond and  would barely move  i put it in sport mode and their was not much of a difference  good thing I know how to fly  because it was not stable at all  this is my 2nd i spire 2 and  this is only the 2nd time I flew it  .I'm very worried about flying it and i don't want to lose a 2nd one  this is over 20 thousand dollars and  it's getting nice out and I been waiting to flying  this problem needs to be taken care of  Amediately we have thousands of dollars that can fly off  and I know that its not going to be covered. I could have bought a brand new car for the money I have spent and paid for it in cash.
2019-2-22
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_cRiUnK5guA5Y Posted at 2-22 17:38
I want to fly my inspire  2 it didn't  respond and  would barely move  i put it in sport mode and their was not much of a difference  good thing I know how to fly  because it was not stable at all  this is my 2nd i spire 2 and  this is only the 2nd time I flew it  .I'm very worried about flying it and i don't want to lose a 2nd one  this is over 20 thousand dollars and  it's getting nice out and I been waiting to flying  this problem needs to be taken care of  Amediately we have thousands of dollars that can fly off  and I know that its not going to be covered. I could have bought a brand new car for the money I have spent and paid for it in cash.

Please be more specific. What is the problem? Describe the issue clearly in short sentences.
2019-2-22
Use props
Inspire_Max
First Officer
Flight distance : 9211303 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-9-1 11:45
This is driving me crazy! Some guys are flying happy, some are reporting totally messed birds. I'm about to purchase Inspire 2 ... Drop everything, Mr. Wang, and fix this mess immediately, please !!!

I purchased the I2 just because I got a good offer for a used unit...

Ten times better the I1 and...the Mavic Pro.

I need range to take pictures offshore at a distance of 5.5 km.

Inspire 1 can manage the distance and wind, Mavic Pro can manage the distance, I2 can manage the wind...
2019-2-24
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Inspire_Max Posted at 2-24 09:55
I purchased the I2 just because I got a good offer for a used unit...

Ten times better the I1 and...the Mavic Pro.

5.5 km range is a lot to ask for! Be careful. Even if radio transmission above sea is still strong at such distance, you may get not enough juice to come back home against wind ...
2019-2-24
Use props
FarmerMac
First Officer
Flight distance : 1215079 ft
  • >>>
Denmark

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2018-10-14 11:32
Oh, I've been called a "fanboy" many times, and I'm proud to be ...

Matthew D. You are one of the more honorable of the fanboy kind.

DRAGenDROP what is the problem by knowing about the good side as well
as the bad side of issues?
For me personaly I have had a lot of problems with my DJI products. Many of
the problems is solved by reflashing firmware several times. Things can go wrong
when upgrading/downgrading firmware. It is a fact for virtually all electronic devices.
when it comes to drones the outcome of an error may be fatal. Thats how it is.

2019-2-25
Use props
Inspire_Max
First Officer
Flight distance : 9211303 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Matthew Dobrski Posted at 2-24 13:04
5.5 km range is a lot to ask for! Be careful. Even if radio transmission above sea is still strong at such distance, you may get not enough juice to come back home against wind ...

Yeah, 5.5 km is a long distance, but even Mavic Pro can manage...

I2 can reach up to 4.4 km, due to CE mode...

I’m working to increase the distance
2019-2-25
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

Inspire_Max Posted at 2-25 14:07
Yeah, 5.5 km is a long distance, but even Mavic Pro can manage...

I2 can reach up to 4.4 km, due to CE mode...

You may get better results with Cendence+patch antenna, which in such open space may perform better than standard RC. I've got once 6km and had to RTH due to fuel shortage ...
2019-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules