P4A first crash. Damaged gimbal. Help please!
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Siamsteve
lvl.1
United States

This may be my first post to this forum.

I was flying my P4A in a remote area of the Superior National forest. Using Waypoints and following behind the P4A  withing 1/4 mile proximity on a gravel road. At mid flight I had to put the controller down on the car seat while driving to take the steering wheel for 1 minute when I picked it up the live feed image was gone contact with the drone was lost.  I later found the drone on the ground off course and damaged but still transmitting. Watching the SD card video later, the drone stopped flying between waypoint 7 and 8, malfunctioned and hovered for 15 seconds then started flying on its own, sideways, perpendicular to its route, off-course at a smoothe level steady speed of about 10MPH for about 1/4 mile then smoothly decended at about 45%  angle down into the dense forest striking the tree tops, which caused it to loose lift and fall to the ground striking a rock on the forest floor.

The compass and guidance system seems functional as it flys manually and hovers good. The camera records video and photos however badly tilted 30 degrees. The camera also has like a servo-motor spasm jerking back and forth horizontally, getting a warning from DJI go4 saying gimbal motors are over heating. Also DJI go4 app says forward collision sensors not functioning.

I bought the drone to photograph and video the fall colors in Superior National Forest. Color should be peaking in about 1 month. I am retired on a meager pension. Please advise me:

1. Send to DJI to repair (no warranty)
2. Repair by hand
3. Buy 2nd hand or refurbished drone; also where do I find in

Thanks in advance.

2018-9-1
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

That's a hard one to answer.  You have a lot still working, so that's good.  Might be best to send to DJI, considering there could be other damages not seen.
2018-9-1
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

I would like to take a look at the flight log to see why it was flying sideways.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/Upload/
Can you please upload your log file and post a link to it here.
You could try the repairs yourself most components for the p4 series can be purchased online at very reasonable prices.
But if not really sure of yourself with very tiny components it may be best to send it in for repairs, Dji's repair prices have been at very reasonable costs.
2018-9-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sucks that this happened. Sorry to read about it veering off course.

I wonder if there was accidental rc input when you put the unit on the seat?

RedHotPoker
2018-9-1
Use props
Siamsteve
lvl.1
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-9-1 14:46
I would like to take a look at the flight log to see why it was flying sideways.
https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/Upload/
Can you please upload your log file and post a link to it here.

I can’t find or access the flight record.
2018-9-3
Use props
Hellsgate
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Siamsteve Posted at 2018-9-3 07:27
I can’t find or access the flight record.

The flight records can be found on your device in the dji folder
2018-9-3
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. We apologize for the unfortunate event that happened. I highly suggest to send this to our main facility to have it repair. You may start to create an online repair request: https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
2018-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules