Mavic Pro 2 Lens/Barrel Distortion Problem
3698 26 2018-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
geoffz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>

The Mavic Pro 2 has a lens barrel distoration problem.

There needs to be a firmware fix to address this asap.

2018-9-1
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. Our engineers are currently fixing this issue. Your patience will be much appreciated.
2018-9-2
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-2 07:51
Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. Our engineers are currently fixing this issue. Your patience will be much appreciated.

Thanks for the update.

Wanda....
Will the engineers be adding to the Firmware update...CrystalSky compatibility as well?
2018-9-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

geoffz Posted at 2018-9-2 10:19
Thanks for the update.

Wanda....

As of now, Mavic 2 series and CrystalSky is not compatible to each other. We will keep you updated via website if it will be compatible soon.
2018-9-2
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-2 10:21
As of now, Mavic 2 series and CrystalSky is not compatible to each other. We will keep you updated via website if it will be compatible soon.

Yes, I'm aware of that as well as the many many user/customers that FLY with the CristalSky Monitors.

The only thing that worries is your use of the word..."if"

2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

I find it amazing that despite the very long lead time for a mavic 2 release they didnt have the app ready for their flagship, professional level control system!
2018-9-2
Use props
Avi8tor0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88301 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-2 14:25
I find it amazing that despite the very long lead time for a mavic 2 release they didnt have the app ready for their flagship, professional level control system!

Concur. I won't be so eager to buy another DJI drone in the future because of the loss of features that were already included in my Mavic Pro.

The lack of lens correction/profile and precision RTH are features you would assume would be in the new product. I was looking for an improvement to the Mavic Pro. What I got was a lot of good features stripped out and a lens that looks like a go pro. Go figure.
2018-9-4
Use props
flydav
lvl.3
Flight distance : 184226 ft
Italy

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-2 07:51

Thanks for letting us know this. Now we just need to know IF the engineers are also working on the CS compatibility. We don't need to know when it will be ready we all can wait I guess but we do need to know whether it will be working at some point or not.  PLEASE it is important! I'm going to get my M2P in October and I will go eventually for an iPad but if DJI confirms that they are working on the CS firmware I WILL WAIT. Thanks for your consideration.
2018-9-4
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 405102 ft
Latvia

Kind of sloppy performance from DJI, would be nice to know how long it will take to fix this? It is kind of disaster for 1,5K "Pro" drone.
2018-9-4
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for patiently waiting. The videos shot in DLOG-M and HLG modes on the Mavic 2 Pro cannot be corrected for distortion in the camera but can be edited it in post-processing with the image editing software.
2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

simis Posted at 2018-9-4 05:22
Kind of sloppy performance from DJI, would be nice to know how long it will take to fix this? It is kind of disaster for 1,5K "Pro" drone.

How is it a disaster?  Its fixed with zero effort in post processing and only appears on video modes that absolutely require post processing.

I don't recall people calling it a "disaster" on their much more expensive pro Inspires.

2018-9-5
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

It's called barrel distortion.  GoPros are known for this.  Hold a GoPro horizontal and the horizon will be perfectly level, tilt it and the horizon is curved.  The distortion can be easily removed in Premiere.  A good lens design would not have this distortion and your video shows the Mavic's lens design is off.  The image can be fixed with software like the Hero5 & 6 do to remove the distortion in their LIN mode.
2018-9-5
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-5 06:22
How is it a disaster?  Its fixed with zero effort in post processing and only appears on video modes that absolutely require post processing.

I don't recall people calling it a "disaster" on their much more expensive pro Inspires.

Looks like u have no idea  what u taking about,  People shooting in Log to get higher dynamic range more details in shadows and highlights and  more simple to much with different cameras.  And lens distortion is easy to fix if it is constant. On Mavic 2 Pro it is NOT. If paning camera up or down u need keyframe  to fix it. It's NOT zero effort
2018-9-5
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>

simis Posted at 2018-9-5 09:09
Looks like u have no idea  what u taking about,  People shooting in Log to get higher dynamic range more details in shadows and highlights and  more simple to much with different cameras.  And lens distortion is easy to fix if it is constant. On Mavic 2 Pro it is NOT. If paning camera up or down u need keyframe  to fix it. It's NOT zero effort

DJI is flat refusing to address this issue.

The original Mavic Pro did not have this problem and it came with an even wider angle lens!

Why should we be responsible for fixing their mistakes.
2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

simis Posted at 2018-9-5 09:09
Looks like u have no idea  what u taking about,  People shooting in Log to get higher dynamic range more details in shadows and highlights and  more simple to much with different cameras.  And lens distortion is easy to fix if it is constant. On Mavic 2 Pro it is NOT. If paning camera up or down u need keyframe  to fix it. It's NOT zero effort

Actually its dead easy to fix.  Just drag and drop once the parameters are known.  Just like all the Inspire and Phantom profiles that already exist.

Im fully aware why people shoot in log.  Which is why im fully aware that every single clip ever shot in DLOG is going to require post processing.  Which is why a 2 second drag and drop onto that existing time line is no issue at all.
2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

geoffz Posted at 2018-9-5 10:18
DJI is flat refusing to address this issue.

The original Mavic Pro did not have this problem and it came with an even wider angle lens!

They're not "flat out".  Their view is due to processing overhead it should be done in post (since 100% of the videos with the issue need post processing anyway).
Its EXACTLY the same as they have with the Inspires.

The mavic pro didn't shoot high resolution 10 bit DLOG.  The mavic 2 does.
If you don't want the issue, shoot in normal. Then you'll get 8 bit video, some sharpening, no curves and still better than the MP image by a mile.

Why do you think its a mistake?  They've already said it was a design decision.
2018-9-5
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-5 11:34
They're not "flat out".  Their view is due to processing overhead it should be done in post (since 100% of the videos with the issue need post processing anyway).

I hope you're right gnirtS. I downloaded that guys prfset that fixes it, but won't have footage till this weekend guessing. Looks like they pushed the delivery to friday
2018-9-5
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-5 11:34

I shoot 8 bit 10 bit 12 bit

Nothing to do with lens aberration.

A design decision...a wrong one at that.

2018-9-5
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-5 11:32
Actually its dead easy to fix.  Just drag and drop once the parameters are known.  Just like all the Inspire and Phantom profiles that already exist.

Im fully aware why people shoot in log.  Which is why im fully aware that every single clip ever shot in DLOG is going to require post processing.  Which is why a 2 second drag and drop onto that existing time line is no issue at all.

If its dead easy, plese upload 5 sec sample before-after with camera tilt motion.
2018-9-6
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

geoffz Posted at 2018-9-5 16:55
I shoot 8 bit 10 bit 12 bit

Nothing to do with lens aberration.

If you shot log you have to post process regardless of bit depth.
So whats the issue dropping a correction effect onto the timeline at the same time?
Really, 3 seconds work at most?
2018-9-7
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

gnirtS, still waiting for your sample video with tilt motion and how you fix it in 3 seconds
2018-9-7
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

simis Posted at 2018-9-7 02:06
gnirtS, still waiting for your sample video with tilt motion and how you fix it in 3 seconds

While we're waiting why don't you upload a sample of footage that has had the CORRECT lens profile applied in post and still shows varying distortion on tilt.
2018-9-7
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

JaseUK Posted at 2018-9-7 04:19
While we're waiting why don't you upload a sample of footage that has had the CORRECT lens profile applied in post and still shows varying distortion on tilt.

Just show me where to download on DJI site this profile for hasselblad camera.
2018-9-7
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

simis Posted at 2018-9-7 05:00
Just show me where to download on DJI site this profile for hasselblad camera.

That was my point, you have claimed it is not easy to fix yet you have not tested apply a lens preset to see if it does need other adjustments depending on the tilt of the lens.

It does not have to be a DJI file if you have the correct parameters and if you do then applying that to the footage should solve it, there is not going to be an unlimited combination based on what degree the camera is at.
2018-9-7
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

JaseUK Posted at 2018-9-7 07:45
That was my point, you have claimed it is not easy to fix yet you have not tested apply a lens preset to see if it does need other adjustments depending on the tilt of the lens.

It does not have to be a DJI file if you have the correct parameters and if you do then applying that to the footage should solve it, there is not going to be an unlimited combination based on what degree the camera is at.

At least DJI clearly  told that they are not going to fix it.
2018-9-7
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200177 ft

Add in corrected 8 bit DLOG and I'll be happy.

I want to keep colour grading without having to pay for Premiere or resolve studio.

Resolve free is awesome but you are now limited to normal colour profile.

Shouldn't be too hard to add that.
2018-9-7
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200177 ft

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-7 11:44
And a few more color profiles perhaps, like D-Cinelike.

Definately.

Let's those who upgraded from MP keep the same workflow on free software.

For those who can justify Premiere or Resolve, DLOG-M and HLG are available.
2018-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules