FOV 8bit or HQ 10bit DLOG?
1839 10 2018-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gooseman 2old
lvl.2
Flight distance : 733829 ft
United Kingdom

Just adding my bit to this topic as it seems to have come up in some threads but as yet DJI have not come back with a definitive.

One of the reasons why I took the leap with this camera was the availability of 10bit. Despite the appalling barrelling in FOV (which could be fixed in a firmware update?) on my first flight yesterday I noticed some telltale 'blocking' in the sky (shot at dusk, near sunset, high altitude thin cloud, looking toward the sun - I know, how much harder could I make the test?) that only went away after some grading work in FCP.

But (and here's the point). It looked like 8bit. It had all the hallmarks. And if it is 8bit, what's the point of giving us LOG?

So I started digging around and found a thread in MavicPilots about the whole HQ v FOV pixel binning issue and read this:
"[size=14.666666984558105px]But at least you may be sure, that this "cropped" mode will not spoil your 4K image quality. Also, for some info, only in HQ mode you can use 10 bit video.[size=14.666666984558105px] "
[size=14.666666984558105px]

[size=14.666666984558105px]I've heard this from a couple of other places too, but here? I've seen the question asked and so far DJI have not come back with a definitive answer. And until they do I am sticking with HQ - which I'm not too heartbroken about as the barrelling on FOV is pretty gross!

[size=14.666666984558105px]Hopefully one of the DJI people can give us a definitive.

[size=14.666666984558105px]If there is a definitive somewhere please point me in its direction. I've not been able to find it, and sorry for asking a Q that's already got an A.
[size=14.666666984558105px]John
2018-9-1
Use props
Gooseman 2old
lvl.2
United Kingdom

So sorry about the formatting. Why do we get just two minutes to correct problems? Madness. Anyway, this is what it was supposed to look like!

Just adding my bit to this topic as it seems to have come up in some threads but as yet DJI have not come back with a definitive.

One of the reasons why I took the leap with this camera was the availability of 10bit. Despite the appalling barrelling in FOV (which could be fixed in a firmware update?) on my first flight yesterday I noticed some telltale 'blocking' in the sky (shot at dusk, near sunset, high altitude thin cloud, looking toward the sun - I know, how much harder could I make the test?) that only went away after some grading work in FCP.

But (and here's the point). It looked like 8bit. It had all the hallmarks.

So I started digging around and found a thread in MavicPilots about the whole HQ v FOV pixel binning issue and read that "only in HQ mode you can use 10 bit video" I've heard this in a couple of other places too, but here, on this forum DJI have been noticeably slow in response to this pretty fundamental question.

This is important, because it makes LOG completely redundant if it's only 8bit.

Can someone at DJI please clarify.
2018-9-1
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. For Mavic 2 Pro, the D-Log should be 10 bit.
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

People are reporting HQ and full FOV are showing as 10 bit in Premiere and editing software.

Your test sounds more like a way to test dynamic range than anything else - if it goes away in grading then theres plenty of data there to fix it.

Remember this is still a consumer drone with a small sensor.  Yes 1" is much bigger than other consumer drones BUT on the camera scale, its still fairly small.  
2018-9-2
Use props
Blellow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

Not really.  My handycam with small sensors do not have the artefacts that dji drones have.  I was shocked when I first saw it n pray the mavic 2 pro does not or at least fixes it in firmware.
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Handycams also can use AVC or less compressed video so a lot less data is chucked away.

FWIW all the sample footage come out is reporting as 10 bit depth for full and HQ 4k.

It went away in grading, the data was there. So the camera is doing its job.
2018-9-2
Use props
Gooseman 2old
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-2 04:02
Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. For Mavic 2 Pro, the D-Log should be 10 bit.
[view_image]

Thanks, but just to confirm, is this in both HQ and FOV modes?
2018-9-3
Use props
Gooseman 2old
lvl.2
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-2 04:04
People are reporting HQ and full FOV are showing as 10 bit in Premiere and editing software.

Your test sounds more like a way to test dynamic range than anything else - if it goes away in grading then theres plenty of data there to fix it.

valid points, thanks for replying.

Good to hear the reports from PP users, that's a comfort.  For the record, I am not sure the blocking goes away or if I manage to 'mask' it. It just worries me a little about it appearing in footage supplied to clients. I guess I need to educate them about the real capability:cost ratios!
2018-9-3
Use props
Gooseman 2old
lvl.2
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-2 09:30
Handycams also can use AVC or less compressed video so a lot less data is chucked away.

FWIW all the sample footage come out is reporting as 10 bit depth for full and HQ 4k.

thanks (again)
So the testing will continue. Just wish the additional batteries would hurry up and arrive!
2018-9-3
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Gooseman 2old Posted at 2018-9-3 00:42
Thanks, but just to confirm, is this in both HQ and FOV modes?

It supports both D-Log and HDR videos.
2018-9-3
Use props
Gooseman 2old
lvl.2
United Kingdom

did a little test yesterday in DLOG, FOV and HQ and TBH I cannot see a difference. And i doubt very much if my client's could either. So I shall use which ever format is best for the shoot.

This is a heavily graded version of it. As you can see, Youtube have done their usual best to make it look truly awful, damn them!

2018-9-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules