Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Longitude and Lattitude Update
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NRuTGMe64os5
lvl.1
United States

With the abundant programming already in our drones and the "Information" already within the programming.... How soon, DJI programmers, before we can get a "touch the blue dot on the screen" for an immediate LON/LAT on our drones while in flight?  Would be great to see this in one of your "Software Updates".  
2018-9-2
Use props
djordan2
First Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

Hey, I'm for that!   Great idea.
2018-9-2
Use props
NM_Quad
Second Officer
United States

Yes, DJI, a real-time LAT/LON readout would be very useful for many applications.  For example, to fly to a feature you found on Google Earth, you could fly the drone directly to that location with a real-time display.  For example, finding an abandoned mine or structure hidden in the trees in the mountains.  Please consider.
2018-9-2
Use props
Rvrrat14
First Officer
Flight distance : 655932 ft
United States

Great idea!   For Search and Rescue, this would be great!   Immediate lat/log readout......why not???
2018-9-3
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I believe Litchi provides that as an option.  
2018-9-3
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-3 07:07
I believe Litchi provides that as an option.

yes .. it has option to show GPS Coords.

To be honest for me ... I think really for Search and Rescue ? I expect a better machine for such serious authority use ... and best that amateurs stay away. IMHO.

I can see a few drones lost if you have a tap spot to fly to it .....  I know some do - but imagine tapping a spot outside your battery range and it over-rides RTH ?

But of course its my opinion ...

Nigel
2018-9-3
Use props
djordan2
First Officer
United States

NM_Quad Posted at 2018-9-2 11:01
Yes, DJI, a real-time LAT/LON readout would be very useful for many applications.  For example, to fly to a feature you found on Google Earth, you could fly the drone directly to that location with a real-time display.  For example, finding an abandoned mine or structure hidden in the trees in the mountains.  Please consider.

That is exactly how I use my P3P.  I do search grids and patterns looking for anomalies in the desert.  That I drive out on my Quad to see what they are. I brought this idea up with DJI on this forum about two years ago.  What I have to do now is a little cumbersome.  I will find something of interest with the drone, then I will make a circle around it to mark it.  When I get home, I look at it on Google Earth to get the coordinates.  I overlay my flight track on Google Earth and look for the little circles.  I can then read the coordinate.
2018-9-3
Use props
djordan2
First Officer
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-9-3 07:25

To be honest for me ... I think really for Search and Rescue ? I expect a better machine for such serious authority use ... and best that amateurs stay away. IMHO.

I don't think he was talking about programming Waypoints to fly to while in flight.  But just marking a location for future use.  However, that might not be a bad idea.  The firmware could be programmed to apply RTH if the range is too far.
2018-9-3
Use props
NRuTGMe64os5
lvl.1
United States

All I want to be able to do is locate a spot on the ground as I fly the drone. Not marking way points...but if I see something of interest or something that needs to be relayed to Law Enforcement/Rescue/Fire Department I would like to be able to "tap the blue dot on the screen" and get a location. A company makes a GPS Telemetry system that will do just what I ask for but it is designed for falconry. I'd have to attach a GPS Transmitter to the drone to use their system at $1,195.00. For as much as we pay for our drone system this technology should be a given....just my humble opinion.
2018-9-3
Use props
Sam Drucker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 426375 ft

That is a great idea !!
2018-9-3
Use props
Sam Drucker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 426375 ft

solentlife Posted at 2018-9-3 07:25

Litchi isn't available on the P4P+.
2018-9-3
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

djordan2 Posted at 2018-9-3 07:36
I don't think he was talking about programming Waypoints to fly to while in flight.  But just marking a location for future use.  However, that might not be a bad idea.  The firmware could be programmed to apply RTH if the range is too far.

Not waypoints ... Litchi will show Lat / Lon .. its in options.

Nigel
2018-9-3
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Latvia

NRuTGMe64os5 Posted at 2018-9-3 08:32
All I want to be able to do is locate a spot on the ground as I fly the drone. Not marking way points...but if I see something of interest or something that needs to be relayed to Law Enforcement/Rescue/Fire Department I would like to be able to "tap the blue dot on the screen" and get a location. A company makes a GPS Telemetry system that will do just what I ask for but it is designed for falconry. I'd have to attach a GPS Transmitter to the drone to use their system at $1,195.00. For as much as we pay for our drone system this technology should be a given....just my humble opinion.

There are plenty of trackers that cost peanuts that you can sms from your phone to get Lat Lon and Google earth reference sent back to your phone ....

No need for anything fancy at all.

Nigel
2018-9-3
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

djordan2 Posted at 2018-9-3 07:32
That is exactly how I use my P3P.  I do search grids and patterns looking for anomalies in the desert.  That I drive out on my Quad to see what they are. I brought this idea up with DJI on this forum about two years ago.  What I have to do now is a little cumbersome.  I will find something of interest with the drone, then I will make a circle around it to mark it.  When I get home, I look at it on Google Earth to get the coordinates.  I overlay my flight track on Google Earth and look for the little circles.  I can then read the coordinate.

I will find something of interest with the drone, then I will make a circle around it to mark it.  When I get home, I look at it on Google Earth to get the coordinates.
Do you know that every photo you take has the GPS location (of the Phantom) in it.
Take a photo looking straight down, check the exif data of the image file and you have the GPS location of the spot you photographed.
2018-9-3
Use props
NM_Quad
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-9-3 13:06
I will find something of interest with the drone, then I will make a circle around it to mark it.  When I get home, I look at it on Google Earth to get the coordinates.
Do you know that every photo you take has the GPS location (of the Phantom) in it.
Take a photo looking straight down, check the exif data of the image file and you have the GPS location of the spot you photographed.

That's what I do for lat/long, take a still photo looking straight down for the EXIF data, though that is meaningless until you get home and download the pix.  Also cumbersome if you shooting video, forcing you to stop to take the still photo.  Still - it works.  Real time lat/long would still be an advantage on a DJI drone right out-of-the-box rather than having to resort to Litchis, trackers and other add-ons.
2018-9-3
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have seen this asked more than once and stll it remains to be implemented, i find most suggestions are ignored, take auto record on take off as another example.....
2018-9-3
Use props
NM_Quad
Second Officer
United States

Bashy Posted at 2018-9-3 20:21
I have seen this asked more than once and stll it remains to be implemented, i find most suggestions are ignored, take auto record on take off as another example.....

I need auto turn-OFF upon landing.  I have several videos of me carrying the drone back to the car (nice shots of my knee caps) and sitting on the seat until the memory card explodes.  They could at least add a voice that says, "Hi.  This is DJI Mindy.  Is your camera turned OFF?"  :-)
2018-9-4
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Why do you leave the drone powered on? Turning it off turns my card off  on my occasion.
2018-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules