Brand New P4 Battery odd Behavior
1598 9 2018-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shayd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 247306 ft
  • >>>

I was given a Brand New Phantom 4 (Not Pro not Advanced) To setup and charge but first things first I gotta charge it! The battery is behaving oddly when trying to charge after 5 seconds or so all LEDs go off and even after 2 hours now still no progress in charging. I owned P3 and Inspire 1 & 2 And I'm sure the LED bar should 'fill up' until it dissapears this does not happen so instead I'm gonna bother you with questions. I attached video below so better illustrate what's up. Battery reports ''Battery Life/Health'' At 100% So perhaps it's been on shelf for too long?

2018-9-2
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Probably was shelved too long.  Kaput.   Sorry.
2018-9-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

What happens if you switch battery 'on' whilst plugged into charger (one short push followed by one long to turn on) ?
2018-9-2
Use props
Shayd
lvl.3
  • >>>

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-2 13:35
What happens if you switch battery 'on' whilst plugged into charger (one short push followed by one long to turn on) ?

Sadly, the scenario repeats, I turn it on, 1 LED Blinking (Low Battery) I plug it in, and it turns off, I'm even able to hold it down and have it turn on repeadly.
2018-9-2
Use props
ATJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17736 ft

Shayd Posted at 2018-9-2 13:45
Sadly, the scenario repeats, I turn it on, 1 LED Blinking (Low Battery) I plug it in, and it turns off, I'm even able to hold it down and have it turn on repeadly.

It's possible the batteries firmware needs to be updated.
2018-9-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

ATJ Posted at 2018-9-3 03:00
It's possible the batteries firmware needs to be updated.

Good point, it wouldn't do any harm to check, but if battery has no charge then would be difficult to power up and update via DJI Assistant 2.
2018-9-3
Use props
Shayd
lvl.3
  • >>>

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-3 05:03
Good point, it wouldn't do any harm to check, but if battery has no charge then would be difficult to power up and update via DJI Assistant 2.

My point exactly! I don't think firmware could cause such thing since both drone and battery were shipped with same version and neither was updated or COULD be updated to cause such discrepancy. ALABAMA Is most likely right, The battery voltage dropped below what was safe.

One thing bothers is is why battery health shows 4 LEDS (100%) Maybe it's measured by number of cycles rather than voltage?
2018-9-3
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

Shayd Posted at 2018-9-3 07:43
My point exactly! I don't think firmware could cause such thing since both drone and battery were shipped with same version and neither was updated or COULD be updated to cause such discrepancy. ALABAMA Is most likely right, The battery voltage dropped below what was safe.

One thing bothers is is why battery health shows 4 LEDS (100%) Maybe it's measured by number of cycles rather than voltage?

"Maybe it's measured by number of cycles rather than voltage?"

I believe that's the case.

I'm surprised though that it's not gone into hibernation if voltage too low, perhaps it's beyond redemption. Might just be worthwhile trying a few charge starts, perhaps pull the voltage up a bit to allow it to start charging as it should.
2018-9-3
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Last resort is to try the hibernation sequence ..

Press button twice to turn battery on ... IGNORE what the lights etc. do ...

LEAVE IT ALONE for 5 minutes ...

Plug in DJI charger ... DO NOT TOUCH BUTTON ... IGNORE lights etc.

Leave it alone ... it may take minutes ... or hours to wake up ....

If after a day on the charger it does not wake - up - its kaput.

Is the P4 / batts in warranty ? If so - just get it exchanged......

It is possible to 'jolt' a battery into life - but means taking the front panel off and connecting direct bypassing the board ... NOT a job for those who don't know how.
Its also no g'tee of battery being any good after ...

Nigel
2018-9-3
Use props
Shayd
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-9-3 10:06
Last resort is to try the hibernation sequence ..

Press button twice to turn battery on ... IGNORE what the lights etc. do ...

I'll try tomorrow since it's not really my drone, I'm happy with my Inspire 2 but even though you might be right I will not take apart the battery in fear of losing the warranty as well as the cell(s) swelling up if it's really not able to hold charge properly. Li-Po's turns into something out of devil's anus if damaged or mistreated. Assuming the now ancient Phantom 4 still has warranty I will just RMA it.
2018-9-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules