M2P slow rudder response compared to my P4P, any thoughts?
1228 15 2018-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Elanor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 332405 ft
Italy

Hi,
I received my M2P last week on Tuesday. Unfortunately, the weather was pretty bad for the whole weekend. Nevertheless on Friday late afternoon the weather was decent, so I decided to do a very quick flight test in a nearby meadow.
Just after the flight, I uploaded my data on Airdata to have a look at them in detail.
I was very surprised by the slow rudder response compared to what's the usual response in my P4P. I have to say that the P4P is pretty consistent even with high-speed winds.
Is there anyone else who has experienced the same results?
Any thoughts?

Here are some data from P4P and M2P (inflight wind speed, average speed and max gust, and rudder response, average, max and a detailed map of all slow responses).
Since I've flown M2P with quite high winds, I've picked a P4P flight with even worse wind conditions.

P4P

P4P

P4P

M2P

M2P

M2P

2018-9-3
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out. Regarding that big impact could be the weight of the Aircraft, Altitude and how far you are from the Aircraft.  
2018-9-3
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I did observe the same today too, it feels reeeeally slow compared to the P4P, dont know if its possible to adjust the gain settings for this.
2018-9-3
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

CineView Media Posted at 2018-9-3 13:51
I did observe the same today too, it feels reeeeally slow compared to the P4P, dont know if its possible to adjust the gain settings for this.

By any chance are you seeing messages about the SD card being too slow?
2018-9-3
Use props
TheRealMikeK
lvl.2
United States

from my experiences the mavic flys quite differently compared to the phantom 4 pro. think a lot has to do with the design of the drone itself. i'd say the mavic is more akin to the way the inspire flys than the phantom
2018-9-3
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

Gimpy Posted at 2018-9-3 15:00
By any chance are you seeing messages about the SD card being too slow?

No........
2018-9-3
Use props
CineView Media
Second Officer
  • >>>
Norway

TheRealMikeK Posted at 2018-9-3 15:20
from my experiences the mavic flys quite differently compared to the phantom 4 pro. think a lot has to do with the design of the drone itself. i'd say the mavic is more akin to the way the inspire flys than the phantom

Makes sense, the Mavic has a much lower cog and therefore "floats" more...
2018-9-3
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Og mavic is the same numbers. It's a average so I wouldn't take them too serious. It depends if there was a lot of drops during the flight
2018-9-3
Use props
Elanor
lvl.2
Italy

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-9-3 11:17
Hi there, thank you for reaching out. Regarding that big impact could be the weight of the Aircraft, Altitude and how far you are from the Aircraft.

Hi Stephen,
could you please clarify your comment? From your statement, I was expecting a worse performance of the Phantom 4 Pro, which is not the case. But maybe I have misunderstood.

In the provided examples, the P4P had a way better response than the Mavic 2 Pro even if it's heavier and in the flight example it flew a longer distance (848 m) and dealt with much stronger winds (32 average and 49max  gust speed). On the other hand, the Mavic 2 Pro is lighter, the maximum distance from the controller was just 140 m, and the winds weren't so severe (12 average and 32 max gust speed). The max altitude was 47 for the P2P and 59 for the M2P, so no big differences here.
2018-9-3
Use props
Elanor
lvl.2
Italy

thehippoz Posted at 2018-9-3 17:58
Og mavic is the same numbers. It's a average so I wouldn't take them too serious. It depends if there was a lot of drops during the flight

What do you mean with drops? Disconnections from the controller or significant interferences?

Since it was just a test flight in a meadow within a significant short distance, I didn't experience any of this.
What I find very disappointing is that I haven't ever seen such a bad performance in my P4P. And I thought the Mavic 2 had better performance than the original one.

I know it's not a drone made for racing and I'm using it for photo and video as everyone. The thing is that in case of emergency I'm worried that the slow rudder response can cause me some problems. But I might be worried for no real reason.
2018-9-4
Use props
Anthony90
lvl.3
Flight distance : 761519 ft
Australia

I noticed the M2 flew quite different to the P4P which is understandable however I was curious about the same thing as you are, so ill be following this feed. I found the P4P nicer & smoother to fly than the M2, I might need to adjust some settings more, which ill be looking into shortly.
2018-9-4
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Elanor Posted at 2018-9-4 00:21
What do you mean with drops? Disconnections from the controller or significant interferences?

Since it was just a test flight in a meadow within a significant short distance, I didn't experience any of this.

Like here https://app.airdata.com/flight/dba528c63fefb9b8d0f9efc579bed5b7/CONTROLSRudder_Map

Here's the video

At speed you can see where those rudder numbers go high and when the rc starts to drop, you can see the drone bucking in the rear cam. It goes purple when switched to sport too. Basically normal numbers, nothing wrong. Airdata records the high and average. The p4p is bigger too. All I'm saying is your fine. The m2 might even be a little better because of weight, but your numbers look like mine.

Hopefully get to fly into some windows for the rage this weekend if mine gets here.
2018-9-4
Use props
Elanor
lvl.2
Italy

Anthony90 Posted at 2018-9-4 00:38
I noticed the M2 flew quite different to the P4P which is understandable however I was curious about the same thing as you are, so ill be following this feed. I found the P4P nicer & smoother to fly than the M2, I might need to adjust some settings more, which ill be looking into shortly.

I haven't changed any value so far, because I wanted to try the drone with a "factory" configuration. To achieve a cinematic look, I will adjust a few values for sure. Speaking about smoothness, I think the main problem, compare to Phantoms in general, could be the stick length. Phantoms have a big controller with plenty of space for bigger sticks. In the Mavic, since the sticks are smaller, a little movement of your fingers have a greater effect on the drone.

Apart from adjusting some values, I'm thinking of buying some adjustable sticks from PolarPro.
remote-sticks-4_1024x1024.jpg remote-sticks-5_1024x1024.jpg
2018-9-4
Use props
Elanor
lvl.2
Italy

thehippoz Posted at 2018-9-4 04:01
Like here https://app.airdata.com/flight/dba528c63fefb9b8d0f9efc579bed5b7/CONTROLSRudder_Map

Here's the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih9VSGeo00s

Thanks so much for the detailed info!  

Now I'm feeling way more relaxed.
I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions on you new M2P when it ill arrive.
2018-9-4
Use props
rwynant V1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>

AC Settings

EXPO

Yaw,  Roll,  Pitch

All are adjustable to your liking.

Randy
2018-9-4
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Elanor Posted at 2018-9-4 05:43
Thanks so much for the detailed info!  

Now I'm feeling way more relaxed.

I might get it tomorrow, have to check tracking again. Excited to check out the 10 bit and night time stuff. Probably break it open too and shield the wiring up, disable the noisy speaker on the rc. Do IMU, compass, controller calibrations.

I'm wondering how long it takes for the m2 fan to kick on? I like to get the IMU done before that happens. M1 had to put in the freezer I remember.
2018-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules