Return to Home (all DJI drones) - am I the only one?
12Next >
2516 48 2018-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

Let me start this by saying I'm completely capable of flying my drone back manually when needed.    It's not a question of skill.   I'm also a pretty seasoned drone pilot at this point -- with the Mavic 2 about to be my third DJI product.

That being said --   I'm just going to go out there and say it despite the coming lectures on how you shouldn't rely on RTH.    ***I enjoy RTH and I use it quite frequently***.     I don't know what it is, but I enjoy having the drone come back to me without touching the sticks.    I like the furturistic and technologically advanced feeling it gives me.   I'm always ready to take over if needed, but I really enjoy using this feature.   

I felt compelled to post this because every time I see someone post anything about RTH I see about 10 responses that 'you shouldn't rely on RTH, etc etc etc like it's some sort of stigma.      Well I'm coming out of the closet here to you people and saying -- I don't rely on it, i just like the heck out of it and I do it all the time.

Thanks!  Carry on my wayward sons.  
2018-9-3
Use props
Joshua Carlton
lvl.4
Flight distance : 24094 ft
  • >>>

I think for me the constant beeping is overly annoying.
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Yeah i use it quite a lot.
Theres no "skill" in manually operating a mavic.  You line up an arrow and hold a joystick forward until you hear a buzzing noise overhead.  Its not the most complex motor skill you'll do all day.
I do laugh at people on about "manual piloting. i dont trust no computer" making it sound like they're flying a manual precision approach in concorde with no assistance.

I'll press the button while monitoring the screen and starting to pack my stuff up, talking to people and so on.  Yes i can land manually if i want - its not hard but also its no great challenge.

That said, the main reason i want it is to provide a last resort back up in the event of RC or software failure.  I've had one incident due to a software lockup where if the MP didnt have precision landing i would have lost the drone.
2018-9-3
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Joshua Carlton Posted at 2018-9-3 10:30

Now that I completely agree with.   I hate the beeping.
2018-9-3
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am the same way I can fly the darn thing home, but every once in a while seeing and watching the drone come back to where it took off is awesome!  and a good way to impress friends and family.
2018-9-3
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

It should also be noted that I set the RTH altitude a little higher to ensure it doesn't hit any trees.   I also live in a rural area so there are no buildings.   I am a seasoned drone pilot in other words.  I would never do this in an area that would present risks.
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

You can silence that on the M2...
2018-9-3
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-3 10:36
You can silence that on the M2...

OMG awesome!
2018-9-3
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

Don’t you push the power button once to silence it?
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Fraggboy Posted at 2018-9-3 10:44
Don’t you pish the power button once to silence it?

Yes.

...and you can press then press again and hold for 3 seconds to caused the drone to come back and land on a random obstacle somewhere near you.  New feature with the 2 !
2018-9-3
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

This can be switched off now.
2018-9-3
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

It is the same for me, most of the time I fly it back manually but sometimes I just like to watch it finding its own way back because it is an impressive feature. And as String has pointed out, we definitely need it should there be a serious malfunction on the RC or the mobile device.
2018-9-3
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

This is one of the 1st things my friends want to see but yes the beeps are a little to much
2018-9-3
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-3 10:53
It is the same for me, most of the time I fly it back manually but sometimes I just like to watch it finding its own way back because it is an impressive feature. And as String has pointed out, we definitely need it should there be a serious malfunction on the RC or the mobile device.

I've lost connection due to interference before and it came back even though I couldn't get it to reconnect.  It's a critical feature for sure.
2018-9-3
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you use it frequently then make sure your compass and GPS are spot on. That means not flying around buildings, metal or strong electrical interference. Also, don't launch from concrete, metal, rooftops, near cars, bridges, etc. Any error of your GPS or compass on take off will not record an accurate home point. I've read too many fly away stories to take the chance, but if it works for you then just keep on doing it I guess.
2018-9-3
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Bing Err Posted at 2018-9-3 11:00
If you use it frequently then make sure your compass and GPS are spot on. That means not flying around buildings, metal or strong electrical interference. Also, don't launch from concrete, metal, rooftops, near cars, bridges, etc. Any error of your GPS or compass on take off will not record an accurate home point. I've read too many fly away stories to take the chance, but if it works for you then just keep on doing it I guess.

Yeah...I live in the countryside, so there are not many sources of interference and not many obstacles outside of trees.    The one thing I do watch for are power transmission lines nearby.    Those are what caused interference mid flight and the RTH saved me.  
2018-9-3
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2018-9-3 11:02
Yeah...I live in the countryside, so there are not many sources of interference and not many obstacles outside of trees.    The one thing I do watch for are power transmission lines nearby.    Those are what caused interference mid flight and the RTH saved me.

RTH has saved me a few times as well. There's a big metal water tower in town and when I fly behind it I always lose transmission until it starts flying back.
2018-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It does tell you only use RTH in emergency in your manual.
2018-9-3
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I like the RTH as an option too. I'm with you in that I can land my MP perfectly fine myself (and I usually do just for the practice). But there is nothing more impressive to onlookers than letting the MP land itself.
2018-9-3
Use props
damoUK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 693038 ft
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-3 10:46
Yes.

...and you can press then press again and hold for 3 seconds to caused the drone to come back and land on a random obstacle somewhere near you.  New feature with the 2 !

PMSL!!
2018-9-3
Use props
damoUK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 693038 ft
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-3 11:27
Don't be ashamed I use RTH often as well.  Sometimes I wind up flyingbneyond range or behind an obstacle & just let it bring her back enough to regain control. Other times I use it as a convenience when I am several miles out.  Often I will hasten the return by applying full forward stick.  Sometimes I'll take the opportunity to pan around & enjoy the view as she flies home (you have to completely disable obstacle avoidance to do this).  I virtually never allow RTH to land the bird.  I just prefer doing that part myself, lest I become Captain Dunsel...

You fly behind obstacles - losing LOS? goes against everything you're supposed to do ;-)
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Bing Err Posted at 2018-9-3 11:00
If you use it frequently then make sure your compass and GPS are spot on. That means not flying around buildings, metal or strong electrical interference. Also, don't launch from concrete, metal, rooftops, near cars, bridges, etc. Any error of your GPS or compass on take off will not record an accurate home point. I've read too many fly away stories to take the chance, but if it works for you then just keep on doing it I guess.

GPS is only accurate to 3-5m regardless.

And a 5m circle has lots of things for a mavic to hit generally!
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-3 11:14
It does tell you only use RTH in emergency in your manual.

No it doesn't.

It discusses the emergency RTH behaviour but nowhere does it say to only use RTH in an emergency.

...and you now have an "emergency" system that can't actually be relied on any more.
2018-9-3
Use props
RobWest
lvl.3
Flight distance : 589633 ft
France

Actually, DJI have listened to us on this point. You can now turn off the RTH beeping by briefly pressing the power button on the remote once RTH has been initiated, and then blissful silence.

Edit - Sorry, I didn't notice the other people mentioning this - I was just so pleased to see this feature that I had to share....
2018-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-3 11:32
No it doesn't.

It discusses the emergency RTH behaviour but nowhere does it say to only use RTH in an emergency.

I tested RTH today, 8 inches was the furthest it landed from take off, twice within 4 inches once 6 inches and last right on the spot.
Read the first line regarding RTH .
2018-9-3
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

That's the first thing I'm going to disable on m2 xd I did it on the m1 and it's so much better. I don't want to hear a peep out the rc.
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-3 11:47
I tested RTH today, 8 inches was the furthest it landed from take off, twice within 4 inches once 6 inches and last right on the spot.
Read the first line regarding RTH .[view_image]

My manual looks nothing like that.
Also no hits for "Only use the"  or other terms related to it.

User manual 2018.08 for mavic 2.

2018-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-3 11:58

You have more than one manual, it has been in all dji manuals since P4.

No hits for only use the. Not sure what that means.
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Well its certainly not in the manual for the mavic pro (v1.0) where it lists the functions.  Its not listed in the quickstart.
In fact in NONE of the documentation available for the mavic 2 pro or zoom does it say RTH should only be used in an emergency.
2018-9-3
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-3 11:58

Dirty Bird:  Fantastic production!!
Are both birds on a Litchi waypoint mission or is the follow bird controlled manually?
We tried this the other day, lead bird on a Litchi  waypoint mission of 12 points, follow bird on manual but, darn hard to keep leader in camera view!
Going to try & do again tonight, any tips do share, again, great stuff!
2018-9-3
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Guys it's in the manual that way because they don't want inexperienced pilots initializing RTH and the drone flying into buildings, hitting overhead branches when it rises to safe altitude, etc.   It's a liability thing to keep them and others out of trouble.  
2018-9-3
Use props
marklyn59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2018-9-3 10:33
Now that I completely agree with.   I hate the beeping.

Is there any reason why a firmware "fix" couldn't change this on the original Mavic Pro controller?
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

NomadRT Posted at 2018-9-3 14:00
Guys it's in the manual that way because they don't want inexperienced pilots initializing RTH and the drone flying into buildings, hitting overhead branches when it rises to safe altitude, etc.   It's a liability thing to keep them and others out of trouble.

Its not in the manual.
2018-9-3
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-3 11:41
I fly around buildings all the time with no compass or GPS errors.  

Overflights of the Large Hadron Collider may possibly prove problematic.

I've seen some of your flights and they are impressive! But when I'm starting up/launching around tall buildings sometimes I have problems with GPS. If I still fly there then I don't rely on RTH coming back to the homepoint because most likely it didn't log it correctly in the first place.
2018-9-3
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-3 11:29
GPS is only accurate to 3-5m regardless.

And a 5m circle has lots of things for a mavic to hit generally!

Great point!
2018-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

NomadRT Posted at 2018-9-3 14:00

How many Mavic Pro drones were lost because of RTH being used in high wind and craft not making it back, lots of things can go wrong because of using RTH when not needed, the choice is yours the drone is yours, but also the responsibility is yours.
Fly safe.
2018-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-3 12:14
Well its certainly not in the manual for the mavic pro (v1.0) where it lists the functions.  Its not listed in the quickstart.
In fact in NONE of the documentation available for the mavic 2 pro or zoom does it say RTH should only be used in an emergency.

Look in your safety guidelines manual for Mavic Pro 1, Spark, P4, P4 Pro, Mavic Air. this is probably the one manual all should read before ever flying a drone and it is the one manual that will make all aware of their responsibility.
2018-9-3
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

The Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines manuals for the Mavic Pro (and other) DJI drones do say to, "Only use the Failsafe and Return-to-Home functions in case of emergency", but that appears  to be missing from the Mavic 2 equivalent. Whether it was omitted due to an oversight or was a deliberate decision is anyone's guess; in my opinion, either is a credible argument.
2018-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Gimpy Posted at 2018-9-3 14:59
The Disclaimer and Safety Guidelines manuals for the Mavic Pro (and other) DJI drones do say to, "Only use the Failsafe and Return-to-Home functions in case of emergency", but that appears  to be missing from the Mavic 2 equivalent. Whether it was omitted due to an oversight or was a deliberate decision is anyone's guess; in my opinion, either is a credible argument.

It is in fact in all dji safety manuals including inspire Matrice and all consumer and prosumer drones, but your correct it has been omitted from M2 and considering this craft has a new RTH where it reduces height for emergency RTH , I’m thinking it was an over sight, if it’s not recommended for spark it would be strange that it would not include M2 .
But it’s the users craft his choice not for me to tell him/her to do with it.
2018-9-3
Use props
B1houdini
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I am one who uses it. Not often but frequently.
It is nice to know when you have a controller disconnect the baby is coming home.
I have had it happen twice on me and glad there was RTH.
It is also nice to show off to your friends how smart the Mavic is.
Beep is annoying but you can always go on YouTube and find a DIY video showing  how to kill it.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on RTH.
2018-9-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules