Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Skins and GPS signal
769 11 2018-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zaphkiel
Flight distance : 49088 ft
Canada

Hi,

I would like to add a full covering skin  (From Amazon).
I don't know, in DJIs best practices and recos if it's ok with the GPS signal and all the other transmissions to the RC ?

2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Plastic film should not cause problems.  With that said, if there is a skin that is metalic in nature, that could be a problem.
2018-9-3
Use props
Gimpy
Second Officer
United States

Many, many, many people have applied skins to their Mavics for almost two years now, and I've never seen or heard of any indication or even serious suggestion that they cause a problem.
2018-9-3
Use props
Brad Bilger
Captain
Flight distance : 14764163 ft

I've got a flame red skin (Decalgirl.com) and I've never had any sort of interference with it.  But mine is a vinyl covering.  
2018-9-3
Use props
Zaphkiel
Flight distance : 49088 ft
Canada

Thanks all, so next step will be to find the most "visible color" when flying to buy it from decalgirl.com.
2018-9-3
Use props
MrArcher
Second Officer
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

The drone antenna is on the front leg extensions, which most wraps do not cover.  If the brand you select does, simply do not use that part of the set.
2018-9-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks cool     
2018-9-5
Use props
frankencopter
lvl.3
Flight distance : 176936 ft
United States

Zaphkiel Posted at 2018-9-3 16:22
Thanks all, so next step will be to find the most "visible color" when flying to buy it from decalgirl.com.

I got bright yellow!  was having issues with birds attacking because I guess the gray and profile make it look like a little bird of prey.  Not sure if birds can see color, but the yellow did the trick.  The mocking birds and crows are leaving it alone now
2018-9-6
Use props
Gazmg
First Officer
Flight distance : 195358 ft
United Kingdom

Ive had no problems what so ever...
2018-9-7
Use props
FlyDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

MrArcher Posted at 2018-9-5 11:58
The drone antenna is on the front leg extensions, which most wraps do not cover.  If the brand you select does, simply do not use that part of the set.

Correct, but this only applies to the signal between AC and RC. Compass and GPS are located underneath the top cover.
2018-9-7
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Captain
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

most skins are completely fine to use.  just make sure nothing metallic lining or impregnated into the skin before applying it as that would potentially cause issues with GPS reliability.   GPS can easily pass through plastics even fairly thick amounts but any amount of metal even a thin vapor coating like on back of DVD's and CD's can completely block the signal.
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there. I appreciate your time bringing this topic to us. Yes, it is okay to use the sticker to your drone. Just make sure to select a good sticker that will not cause any interference to avoid any issue. Thank you.
2018-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules