Small issues about the first use of Mavic 2 Pro
1803 21 2018-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_PEp4mLwh74c7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11625174 ft
  • >>>

M2P and M2Z have been on market for a week. Mine has not received yet, but I flew once using my friend’s M2P, and was impressed by the behaviors on sky. The colors of photo are much warm than my P4P. Image transmission is very good. There are several small issues I have observed:

1.It is almost impossible to make a precision landing on landing pad. As I did routinely when I fly my MPP by turning the gimble dowanward when the drone was taken off to 10M.  

2.The landing is not as smooth as MPP, and the legs trembled for seconds.  

3. Both my friend and I use Crystalsky, but unfortunately, CK lacks firmware and no bracket mount available right now. I just wonder why DJI didn’t allow the user use DJI’s high-end product. It really makes no sense. Hope DJI solves this problem as soon as possible.  

4.Horizontal line distortion when you use DLOG.

List of links observed by others:

No precision landing:

CK not compatible with M2P/M2Z

Horizontal line distortion.

[color=var(--ytd-comment-text-color)][size=1.4]  

2018-9-3
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, I do apologize for the inconvenience caused. Regarding about Precision landing and CrystalSky, we already forwarded this concern to our R&D department and we're currently waiting for the updates. Please visit our website for more information. Thanks for your support.
2018-9-5
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Thanks for posting the links.
It was a bummer when I heard there was no Precision landing. Hopefully DJI   will get enough complaints that they will add it at a later date.
2018-9-5
Use props
djiuser_PEp4mLwh74c7
lvl.4
  • >>>

B1houdini Posted at 2018-9-5 17:39
Thanks for posting the links.
It was a bummer when I heard there was no Precision landing. Hopefully DJI   will get enough complaints that they will add it at a later date.

Over all, the drone is the best one, but the firmware need some further work. Old pilots will not care too much about the precision landing.
2018-9-5
Use props
djiuser_PEp4mLwh74c7
lvl.4
  • >>>

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-9-5 15:13
Hi, I do apologize for the inconvenience caused. Regarding about Precision landing and CrystalSky, we already forwarded this concern to our R&D department and we're currently waiting for the updates. Please visit our website for more information. Thanks for your support.

I like this drone. As an old pilot, I don't care the precision landing too much, but the distortion may be the major issue which needs to update firmware.

Thanks
2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

CK lacks firmware and no bracket mount available right now.

I believe bracket mount has workaround.  See these: Post #1,   Post #2, and Post #3.
Drilling out bracket as suggested in Post #2, might not be necessary as I suggest in Post #3.

As for lack of firmware, that ball is in DJI's court.

2018-9-5
Use props
Bigplumbs
First Officer
Flight distance : 620164 ft
  • >>>

Not having precision landing is very bad but to be honest you should always lad your drone yourself even in RTH take control once you see it in the air
2018-9-5
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Poland

That horizon distortion is a potentially huge issue. Is DJI aware of it and can it be fixed?
2018-9-5
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-9-5 15:13

DJI should take it very seriously that the horizon is not straight with DLOG usage.
This drone is marketed as high end with Hasselblad camera,  I just cannot understand that we have to find out about the horizon problem from other users and DJI not taking this matter very serious.
How important is the name Hasselblad on this camera if it has this defect, you cannot just leave this problem with your customers?
Make it very high priority to solve this defect please, thank you.
2018-9-5
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106093 ft
Luxembourg

Distortion is not a defect. How could you imagine that a 1" sensor and a f/2,8 lens are packaged in such a tiny box without distortion? Even my Canon L lenses, that are huge, and more expensive that the whole M2P, have distortion. This is easily corrected in post-production. In the case of the M2P, it affects only D-LOG footage, which will in any case need post-production, so correcting this distortion will be straightforward, we just need DJI to provide a profile for this (and if they don't, I am sure that someone will create one).
2018-9-6
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Netherlands

pjollain Posted at 2018-9-6 00:02
Distortion is not a defect. How could you imagine that a 1" sensor and a f/2,8 lens are packaged in such a tiny box without distortion? Even my Canon L lenses, that are huge, and more expensive that the whole M2P, have distortion. This is easily corrected in post-production. In the case of the M2P, it affects only D-LOG footage, which will in any case need post-production, so correcting this distortion will be straightforward, we just need DJI to provide a profile for this (and if they don't, I am sure that someone will create one).

I do not have to imagine how this works.. I'm a consumer and bought a drone  with camera, i do expect that the horizon is straight without correction.
2018-9-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

pjollain Posted at 2018-9-6 00:02
Distortion is not a defect. How could you imagine that a 1" sensor and a f/2,8 lens are packaged in such a tiny box without distortion? Even my Canon L lenses, that are huge, and more expensive that the whole M2P, have distortion. This is easily corrected in post-production. In the case of the M2P, it affects only D-LOG footage, which will in any case need post-production, so correcting this distortion will be straightforward, we just need DJI to provide a profile for this (and if they don't, I am sure that someone will create one).

Even my Canon L lenses, that are huge, and more expensive that the whole M2P, have distortion

Is the distortion of your Canon L lenses as noticeable as that of Mavic 2 Pro?
2018-9-6
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
Belgium

Anoniem Posted at 2018-9-6 01:37
I do not have to imagine how this works.. I'm a consumer and bought a drone  with camera, i do expect that the horizon is straight without correction.

If you are a consumer who does not want to be bothered with technical aspects (something I totally respect), then you will never shoot D-LOG, and so you have no issues. Isn't life wonderful?
2018-9-6
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
Belgium

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-6 01:47
Even my Canon L lenses, that are huge, and more expensive that the whole M2P, have distortion

Certainly not, but quite noticeable for example on the EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM. But we are talking here about a lens composed of 16 glass elements, weighting more than 600g, and sold for more than 1,000€ (without the camera of course!).
What I wanted to highlight is that even high end lenses are subject to distortion, and that everything is a matter of compromise between size, cost and weight.
2018-9-6
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Netherlands

pjollain Posted at 2018-9-6 02:45
Certainly not, but quite noticeable for example on the EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM. But we are talking here about a lens composed of 16 glass elements, weighting more than 600g, and sold for more than 1,000€ (without the camera of course!).
What I wanted to highlight is that even high end lenses are subject to distortion, and that everything is a matter of compromise between size, cost and weight.

Thank you for your insight, can understand what you are saying about this very expensive camera equipment for professionals.
We are talking about the M2P witch costs about 1500 euro over here, not specificly designed for professionals but for an bigger crowd of people.
I guess this drone is designed to be very accessible to allot of people.
If DJI is saying something like, the drone has not enough processing power to output optimal quality then I'm disappointed in this new product.
My expectation keeps being the same, DJI should fix it, it is their problem.
2018-9-6
Use props
djiuser_PEp4mLwh74c7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-5 21:51
CK lacks firmware and no bracket mount available right now.

I believe bracket mount has workaround.  See these: Post #1,   Post #2, and Post #3.

I also saw them before. Because there is no compatible firmware right now, I haven't tried yet.  Raising the hands and using a little bit longer screws are easy way.
2018-9-6
Use props
djiuser_PEp4mLwh74c7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Bigplumbs Posted at 2018-9-5 22:19
Not having precision landing is very bad but to be honest you should always lad your drone yourself even in RTH take control once you see it in the air

Yes, I always use manual landing when I see the drone above me. For Mavic Pro Platinum, I just like hand-holding, coz the legs are low.
2018-9-6
Use props
djiuser_PEp4mLwh74c7
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

gyrex Posted at 2018-9-5 22:59
That horizon distortion is a potentially huge issue. Is DJI aware of it and can it be fixed?

Agree with you, Lens distortion is a major issue.

It seems normal when you do not use DLOG-M.
2018-9-6
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Anoniem Posted at 2018-9-6 01:37

If you want a straight horizon than use the normal picture style.  Simple.  Cured instantly.

If you choose to use log which 100% requires post processing on every single piece of footage shot then taking 2 seconds more to drop a correction effect on it is no effort at all.

Every single camera lens has distortion.  A tiny lens and sensor like the M2 even more so.

Ive got camera lenses costing a lot more than a M2Pro and guess what?  They have distortion that requires profile correction.

Unless of course you've got several PHD and engineering degrees and can explain to them how to make a lens that doesnt need correction?
2018-9-6
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Anoniem Posted at 2018-9-6 03:14
Thank you for your insight, can understand what you are saying about this very expensive camera equipment for professionals.
We are talking about the M2P witch costs about 1500 euro over here, not specificly designed for professionals but for an bigger crowd of people.
I guess this drone is designed to be very accessible to allot of people.
If DJI is saying something like, the drone has not enough processing power to output optimal quality then I'm disappointed in this new product.

But it does output the optimal quality.

My expectation keeps being the same, DJI should fix it, it is their problem

How is it their problem?  A non issue (in that it exists on all drones) that requires post processing which only shows up on clips that require post processing in the first place?

If you dont want to put the effort into processing videos you shouldnt filming in log mode.

2018-9-6
Use props
mavpronu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 619308 ft

mavic uses bottom camera for precision landing not the main camera
2018-9-7
Use props
gyrex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7454275 ft
  • >>>
Poland

Geez, there's a lot of DJI apologists in here; most of which are illiterate and have single digit IQ and can't comprehend how important a straight horizon is on drone videos. One of which is asserting that it's not DJI's fault *facepalm*
2018-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules