Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin S doesn't focus while recording
8161 15 2018-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Skorpion87
lvl.1
United States

Hi, I just got the Ronin S and am testing it. I have set it up with the GH5 and the Pansonic 12-35mm f/2.8. When the camera is NOT recording I can pull the focus and everything is fine. As soon as I hit the record button it doesn't work anymore. I can still pull it manually on the lens but not with the focus wheel of the Ronin S. I have browsed through several forums but couldn't find anyone with the same problem. Has anyone an idea what the issue could be?

Thanks in advance!
2018-9-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Skorpion87, thanks for reaching DJI Forum, to pull focus with Ronin-S, the focus mode toggle on the camera should be set to MF;
To trigger the camera's auto focus, half press the Camera Control button on the gimbal and ensure the camera's focus mode is set to AFS/AFF/AFC.
Please make sure the operation is correct, then may I verify if you have updated to the latest firmware and APP? What resolution and frequency did you select?
2018-9-3
Use props
Skorpion87
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-3 23:44
Hi Skorpion87, thanks for reaching DJI Forum, to pull focus with Ronin-S, the focus mode toggle on the camera should be set to MF;
To trigger the camera's auto focus, half press the Camera Control button on the gimbal and ensure the camera's focus mode is set to AFS/AFF/AFC.
Please make sure the operation is correct, then may I verify if you have updated to the latest firmware and APP? What resolution and frequency did you select?

Hi, Thanks for the response @DJI Mindy. I have updated everything to the latest firmware. Pulling the focus with the focus wheel works if the camera is not recording. As soon as I hit the record button (which works on the Ronin) I cannot use the focus wheel anymore.
2018-9-4
Use props
Skorpion87
lvl.1
United States

Skorpion87 Posted at 2018-9-4 04:32
Hi, Thanks for the response @DJI Mindy. I have updated everything to the latest firmware. Pulling the focus with the focus wheel works if the camera is not recording. As soon as I hit the record button (which works on the Ronin) I cannot use the focus wheel anymore.

Just checked again and I think I found the issue... When you said resolution I played with the setting a bit. Turns out, the setting I have been on was 1920x1080 50p in 8 Bit, 100Mbps. When I change that to basically any other HD-setting that has 10 Bit it seems to work.
2018-9-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Skorpion87 Posted at 2018-9-4 04:39
Just checked again and I think I found the issue... When you said resolution I played with the setting a bit. Turns out, the setting I have been on was 1920x1080 50p in 8 Bit, 100Mbps. When I change that to basically any other HD-setting that has 10 Bit it seems to work.

Yes, that is the reason, the Follow Focus may not work when shooting in high frequency, we are working on getting it addressed with Pansonic, please note the future update, thank you.
2018-9-4
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi Skorpion, maybe add GH5 to the title of this thread?  We GH5 and GH5s owners are starting to compile a list of grievances, including the Ronin going crazy and beating our camera up (violently)... and a substantial list of other issues when connected to the GH5.  If you add GH5 to the name, it might make it easier to see how many GH5 posts there are.

Thanks a bunch,
Matt
2018-9-8
Use props
Skorpion87
lvl.1
Germany

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-9-8 05:35
Hi Skorpion, maybe add GH5 to the title of this thread?  We GH5 and GH5s owners are starting to compile a list of grievances, including the Ronin going crazy and beating our camera up (violently)... and a substantial list of other issues when connected to the GH5.  If you add GH5 to the name, it might make it easier to see how many GH5 posts there are.

Thanks a bunch,

Unfortunately, I cannot change the subject line anymore :/
2018-9-10
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Skorpion87 Posted at 2018-9-10 00:48
Unfortunately, I cannot change the subject line anymore :/

Hi Skorpion, no problem.  I think you get to edit the title once you go up from lvl.1.  Kinda silly bonus for posting more often, but there ya go.
2018-9-10
Use props
russkn87
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430039 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If shooting in VFR mode (variable frame rates) it becomes manual focus only once recording
2018-9-10
Use props
fansb0452d55
New
United States

russkn87 Posted at 2018-9-10 04:32
If shooting in VFR mode (variable frame rates) it becomes manual focus only once recording

Manual focus isn't working for me when I'm in VFR mode. (all VFR modes are 8-bit)...

Has either Panasonic or DJI issues a new firmware in the past 6 months?
2019-7-23
Use props
chrisleecinemat
New

United States

I'm having this problem as well. I thought my focus wheel wasn't working period while only rolling, but comes to find out it's only while in VFR, which I use constantly.
So, I'm assuming there is no fix for the focus wheel to work while filming in VFR mode?
2019-11-24
Use props
djiuser_j7i37D9TArez
New
United States

Had this happen at a shoot today and it was pretty frustrating. We were shooting 8bit 420 using vfr. What's the word Ronin?
2020-9-5
Use props
fansfa03cc0e
lvl.1

Honduras

Exact same issue here. Is December 2020 and was hoping for a fix at this point of the year.
2020-12-29
Use props
LuftbildHamburg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2668192 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi everybody, and it is spring of 2021, I lend me a GH5 and figure out some things with my Ronin SC and there it is: still the VFR manual focus issue. Latest firmware but no solution. Please work on it. Thanks and greeting from Germany, Sven
2021-3-24
Use props
djiuser_3skwjnnG6qt9
New
United Kingdom

Got a new Ronin RS2 and trying to make it work with GH5. Shooting in 8 bit VFR, and the same issue. I can set the manual focus before recording. Once I hit the record button, the focus wheel becomes useless. Changing the focus using lens isn't an option while shooting with the gimbal. What's the work around? Anybody has got any idea please?
2021-8-31
Use props
KieranM17
New

United Kingdom

Hey all, it's 2022, and still no fix it would seem. I have just got the RSC2 and am using it with the Panasonic GH5. VRR Doesn't work but I have a workaround for certain frame rates. The Focus pull doesn't work with VRR but it does work on the 4k/8BIT/150M/60p. So you can shoot at 60fps 8 Bit 4k res with the focus pull and then slow down the footage in post (premiere pro/final cut etc.) to recreate what the VRR would have done originally. E.g playback at 40% for 24fps output, will have a slow-mo effect of 2.5x slower. As for frame rate above 60FPS that will have to be a DJI update, but hope that helps anyone using VRR at 60 fps or less!
2022-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules