"Unlock" message?
1911 16 2018-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hoomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231394 ft

So, I drove about 100 miles this morning, to shoot some video for a friend that is trying to sell some of her property.

I checked the Spark last night, made sure everything was properly updated and the batteries charged. I verified I had ample available storage on my micro SD card, and that there shouldn't be any issues when I arrived at our friend's place.

So, as soon as I spun up the motors in preparation to take off, I get a large message on my app screen, informing me that there is an airport nearby, and that I must acknowledge this and unlock the message.

But, NOTHING TO CLICK TO ACKNOWLEDGE OR UNLOCK THE MESSAGE.

A message that sits smack dab in the center of the camera feed on the tablet screen. A message that prevents any interaction with the app otherwise.

I was aware of the airport this message warned me about. It's a tiny airport, without even a paved runway, that looks to serve cropdusting aircraft on a seasonal basis. There were no aircraft parked there when we drove by, and was far enough away from our friend's place, that any aircraft that MIGHT have been on approach or departure, would be above 400 feet should they just happen to pass over. We had excellent visibility this morning, which would have allowed me to see any aircraft approaching from a decent distance away.

I appreciate safety warnings. I understand that many irresponsible drone pilots disregard safety rules and notices. I don't mind getting a notice on my tablet, making sure that I know there is an airport nearby. That said, if there is going to be a warning, GIVE ME A WAY TO CLEAR IT. I drove 100 freakin' miles away to do a friend a favor, only to have my app give me the proverbial middle finger.

It makes it easier to understand why people use other apps besides the DJI Go 4 app. If I'd had one already installed on my tablet, I'd have definitely used it this morning.

I love my Spark. I'm seriously considering getting a Mavic 2. I'm not, however, happy with the Go app right now.

2018-9-3
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

This page might help...

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock

I haven't seen the warning you got, but Enhanced Warning zone messages have a tiny box to check off that's hard to see, dark blue on a black background. I didn't see it the first time and found out about it on these forums. Your warning might have the same hard-to-see box.
2018-9-3
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
United States

SO, looking at that page, I would have needed to schedule the unlock from an active internet connection first, before getting to the location to fly.

In other words, the DJI Go4 App just became a colossal PITA to use.

It should have connected to the webpage for the unlock through the 4G, but obviously did not.

I think I'll look at some of the other apps out there for flying.
2018-9-4
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
United States

(And the really crazy thing? According to that map, I WAS IN A GREEN ZONE ANYWAY!)
2018-9-4
Use props
H. Arif - 6IX
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430364 ft
Canada

Happened to me too, but my case was serious. I tried to take of about 30m away from an international airport which had about a flight land or take off every minute. I wanted to use gesture mode but it would automatically land. However, your case is a matter of concern as it is an illegitimate concern of the GO 4 app.
2018-9-4
Use props
Prairie Chicken
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106526 ft
Canada

Hoomi Posted at 2018-9-4 17:37
SO, looking at that page, I would have needed to schedule the unlock from an active internet connection first, before getting to the location to fly.

In other words, the DJI Go4 App just became a colossal PITA to use.

Not necessarily:

"When connected to the Internet, DJI GO and DJI GO 4 allow you to unlock Authorization Zones on-site when you take off inside of or fly into one. Unlocking lasts for 24 hours and requires just a few taps on the screen."

That won't help if you have no option to do anything, but there must be a way. Others on this forum have been able to unlock zones successfully.
2018-9-4
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
United States

It still goes back to a poorly conceived feature in the app.

2018-9-4
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

If you are using NLD app from nolimitdronez.com you can delete NFZ of your Spark and fly everywhere, but be smart!!
2018-9-5
Use props
droneflyer101
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I always plan my flights in advance so have never had any of these issues. Do the right paperwork and plan correctly and all will be ok...
2018-9-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Sorry for the troubles that it caused. If the location would be restricted with red zone on our map, unfortunately, this should be requested by our department, however, for the green and yellow zone, you should be able to fly your drone by agreeing to the notification. There should be a blue box that needs to be checked for your confirmation. Please see the address for our unlocking location. Thank you for the support.

www.dji.com/flysafe
2018-9-9
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

Hoomi Posted at 2018-9-4 20:21
It still goes back to a poorly conceived feature in the app.

Yeah it's strange why it does that??
2018-9-9
Use props
driverman930
lvl.3
Flight distance : 93865 ft
United States

how long have you had your spark? And I too been think of an upgrade to a magic 2 My rc club flys at a grassa air field and I get a warning message too yet I can delete it and fly no problem
2018-9-9
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-9-9 09:02
Hi, Sorry for the troubles that it caused. If the location would be restricted with red zone on our map, unfortunately, this should be requested by our department, however, for the green and yellow zone, you should be able to fly your drone by agreeing to the notification. There should be a blue box that needs to be checked for your confirmation. Please see the address for our unlocking location. Thank you for the support.

www.dji.com/flysafe

That's the problem. First, I was in a green zone, according to the map, and there was NO blue box to click to clear the warning.

The warning locked out all other functions in the app. I still had feedback data and camera feed, but any of the controls in the app wouldn't respond, because the warning message took precedence over any other input. Without the blue box to clear the warning, everything else was stuck waiting for the warning to be cleared.

I understand why the warning needs to be there - too many irresponsible drone pilots giving the Government more reasons to further restrict the hobby. Not only does the irresponsible flying pose risks to public safety, further restrictions could potentially impact our ability to fly at all, and - of particular concern to DJI - close their business market, at least here in the US.

I just think the app update needed some better beta testing and debugging.

2018-9-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hoomi Posted at 2018-9-9 18:01
That's the problem. First, I was in a green zone, according to the map, and there was NO blue box to click to clear the warning.

The warning locked out all other functions in the app. I still had feedback data and camera feed, but any of the controls in the app wouldn't respond, because the warning message took precedence over any other input. Without the blue box to clear the warning, everything else was stuck waiting for the warning to be cleared.

Hi, Thanks for your response. I would like to ask if you manage to get screenshots for us to have visualization? Please let us know for further assistance.
2018-9-10
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-9-10 08:52
Hi, Thanks for your response. I would like to ask if you manage to get screenshots for us to have visualization? Please let us know for further assistance.

Alas, no. As I said, when the message box was on the screen, it locked out all other touchscreen functions on the tablet. Had I been using a computer, I could have used CTRL - PrtScn to copy the screen to the clipboard, but no keyboard used with the tablet while flying.
2018-9-11
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hoomi Posted at 2018-9-11 16:59
Alas, no. As I said, when the message box was on the screen, it locked out all other touchscreen functions on the tablet. Had I been using a computer, I could have used CTRL - PrtScn to copy the screen to the clipboard, but no keyboard used with the tablet while flying.

Hi, Sorry for the late response. Please see the image below if the error message is the same as below. Thank you for the response.

2018-9-12
Use props
Hoomi
lvl.4
United States

That kind of message, but without any blue text or places I could tap to clear the message.
2018-9-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules