mapbox
4577 11 2018-9-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
xmanz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 105 ft
New Zealand

Hi there i find mapbox used on dji app terrible  its of lousy focus, lots of cloud obscuring areas i want to fly.in the last version of dji app for android i used to stop a few services and google maps where then availabe,but i cant seem to do this anymore?  

Is there a workaround?

tia  phil

2018-9-4
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha phil,

Sorry, those are the cards we have been dealt.  But, I did see a work around a year or so ago and many firmware updates and app revisions ago.  Maybe someone else has an update on that.  But, to get the Google maps, you lost the newer DJI product.  So be sure to look at that problem.

One thing I did do when they changed from Google Earth to Here was complain to "Here" directly.  I got up the line of authority and complained to them and DJI and CCed each of them when I wrote the other.  

If you start with MapBox and complain that their map is unusable for flying and ask if they can update the maps, they do try to serve the customer, especially when DJI is their big customer.  Then if nothing happens, complain direct to DJI about the MapBox service.

The problem is the better coverage is in the more populated areas of the World.  New Zealand is out there like Hawai'i, so we do not get the same quality of maps as Australia (in your case) and the rest of the World in our case.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-9-4
Use props
xmanz
lvl.1
New Zealand

Cetacean Posted at 2018-9-4 15:35
Aloha phil,

Sorry, those are the cards we have been dealt.  But, I did see a work around a year or so ago and many firmware updates and app revisions ago.  Maybe someone else has an update on that.  But, to get the Google maps, you lost the newer DJI product.  So be sure to look at that problem.

Thank you..will go that avenue...
2018-9-4
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

This might be the old thread Cet was referring to...

https://forum.dji.com/thread-112148-1-1.html
2018-9-4
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-4 16:09

Aloha Mark,

Mahalo for the help!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-9-4
Use props
xmanz
lvl.1
New Zealand

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-9-4 16:09

it must be outdated as i couldnt get it to change...it was only 1 update back i could deny mapservice and get gmaps

thanx anyways
2018-9-4
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. We apologize for the inconvenience. Did you try to reinstall the app?
2018-9-6
Use props
xmanz
lvl.1
New Zealand

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-6 05:40
Hi. We apologize for the inconvenience. Did you try to reinstall the app?

yes app has been reinstalled quite a few times with caches cleared also......... when a while back i could get gmaps to go it was great for me but the old    (here) maps and mapbox are not anyway near what you would want to fly with,  Im in new zealand  and a lot of places are cloud covered,so useless to plot a course... and as said they are of bad quality even if there isnt cloud....

thank you  phil
2018-9-6
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft

Google Maps is still hidden in the Android Go app. On the downside, plain Android lacks user protocol for changing many apps default settings. However, if you 'root' your android device you will then be provided the option to disable Here Maps and Mapbox. Disable "maps" and the app will default to Google. Or... you could take the easy solution and just switch to Litchi. I've been using a rooted Nexus 7 2013 with the Go app and have had no issues. The 20 minutes I spent rooting my device was worth getting Google Maps back. Still, I strongly recommend Litchi as it has Google Maps and is not a memory hog like the Go app.
2018-9-6
Use props
xmanz
lvl.1
New Zealand

Betamace Posted at 2018-9-6 21:21
Google Maps is still hidden in the Android Go app. On the downside, plain Android lacks user protocol for changing many apps default settings. However, if you 'root' your android device you will then be provided the option to disable Here Maps and Mapbox. Disable "maps" and the app will default to Google. Or... you could take the easy solution and just switch to Litchi. I've been using a rooted Nexus 7 2013 with the Go app and have had no issues. The 20 minutes I spent rooting my device was worth getting Google Maps back. Still, I strongly recommend Litchi as it has Google Maps and is not a memory hog like the Go app.

Hi my device is rooted but disabling the map service did not bring gmaps up whjat would you disable.  and yes maybe litchi is the way to go..thnx  
2018-9-6
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft

xmanz Posted at 2018-9-6 23:23
Hi my device is rooted but disabling the map service did not bring gmaps up whjat would you disable.  and yes maybe litchi is the way to go..thnx

Thats odd. It worked for me.  Administrative privilege is the key. In the folder Map Service, Here maps was the one I disabled. Been rooted since I upgraded to Marshmallow. Stayed with the 3.11 Go app because it's really stable.
2018-9-7
Use props
xmanz
lvl.1
New Zealand

Betamace Posted at 2018-9-7 01:06
Thats odd. It worked for me.  Administrative privilege is the key. In the folder Map Service, Here maps was the one I disabled. Been rooted since I upgraded to Marshmallow. Stayed with the 3.11 Go app because it's really stable.

hi i have admin on phone...the previous go app i used to disable the map service but on the later go app its not the same..i will play around with it though to try again,,thnx
2018-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules