Furry Creek, British Columbia, Canada
2141 20 2018-9-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

So I’ve finally decided to start putting some footage together for public consumption, and join the posters here who often share their videos...

Going to give a little background on this video for context, as it’s a hybrid aerial / ground video...

Used my ailing Mavic Air, outfitted with a PolarPro ND32/P filter, recording in D-Cinelike with -1 contrast adjustment, and my own custom LUT for the MA.

Ground shots were captured using my iPhone X outfitted with a PolarPro IRIS ND32 filter system, mounted to a DJI Osmo Mobile 2, and captured using Filmic Pro on LOG format using both the Wide and Telephoto lenses.

All footage captured in 4K 23.976fps.

Video / audio all post-processed using Final Cut Pro X 10.4.3, including all post-processing on audio SFX.

There was a bit of shake / stutter in the ground images because I was fighting some strong wind gusts that was knocking the phone about.

Let me know what you guys think, and enjoy the video!

2018-9-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Colors were great.  Images clean.  Liked upbeat music.  Along with added sounded effects.  Might lower volume of birds a tad.  
Mixed on stump at Time Mark 0:57, little close to camera.
Speaking of time, good job keeping overall video watchable.  No lengthy intro or rolling and rolling of credits (snooze fest).

Do think you should have done a dive, and gotten a cover bottom shot.  
2018-9-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Had to look where Furry Creek, BC was located.  Must have been by area when going Skiing at Whistler.  Whistler may not have best snow (like skiing a slushy), but had one of thickest best tasting steaks at low price there, I Evah had.
2018-9-4
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-4 22:34
Colors were great.  Images clean.  Liked upbeat music.  Along with added sounded effects.  Might lower volume of birds a tad.  
Mixed on stump at Time Mark 0:57, little close to camera.
Speaking of time, good job keeping overall video watchable.  No lengthy intro or rolling and rolling of credits (snooze fest).

Thanks!

Yeah the birds didn’t sound so loud when I was doing the final edits, but when I played it back on my home theatre after uploading, I kinda went what the... The tree trunk was an attempt at a “new life from death” metaphor, new growth from an otherwise dead tree trunk, oh well...

As for the dive, not in bone-chilling water!!!
2018-9-4
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-4 22:42
Had to look where Furry Creek, BC was located.  Must have been by area when going Skiing at Whistler.  Whistler may not have best snow (like skiing a slushy), but had one of thickest best tasting steaks at low price there, I Evah had.

Yeah, best steak of my life was at Araxi in Whistler... Damned expensive, but oh so worth it!!!
2018-9-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Great work Ed   
2018-9-5
Use props
Gregbella
First Officer
Australia

Great video very clear.It looks like a lovely place
2018-9-5
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

Thanks bud!

How's that Inspire doing so far?
2018-9-5
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

Gregbella Posted at 2018-9-5 02:20
Great video very clear.It looks like a lovely place

Thank you!

Yes it's very tranquil, and on this particular day the water was an especially vibrant turquoise colour, never seen it like that before there!
2018-9-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Stunning! Loved the colors and the video is clean. Thanks for sharing your beautiful creation with us. If you have any question, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thanks for your support.
2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-4 22:51
Thanks!

Yeah the birds didn’t sound so loud when I was doing the final edits, but when I played it back on my home theatre after uploading, I kinda went what the... The tree trunk was an attempt at a “new life from death” metaphor, new growth from an otherwise dead tree trunk, oh well...

Diving in cold water is not worth it.  Even in a custom fitted full body wet suit with right gloves and head gear.  Took a Dry suit course, ruled that out.  To easy to get legs up inverted or pop to surface with extra bouncy of air in Dry suit.
Florida, Bahamas, comfy temp water only way to dive in.  
2018-9-5
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-5 08:52
Diving in cold water is not worth it.  Even in a custom fitted full body wet suit with right gloves and head gear.  Took a Dry suit course, ruled that out.  To easy to get legs up inverted or pop to surface with extra bouncy of air in Dry suit.
Florida, Bahamas, comfy temp water only way to dive in.

Yeah, having done some swimming in Mexico a few years back, warm water is the only way to do it
2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-5 09:52
Yeah, having done some swimming in Mexico a few years back, warm water is the only way to do it

Plus the ''wildlife'' viewing is a WHOLE lot better in comfy water than it is in cold water.
Something about Floss vs. Foam...  
2018-9-5
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Really a superb video.
Beautiful scenery.
Great opening shots with the flags,
You did a nice job with the editing.
2018-9-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-5 07:46
Thanks bud!

How's that Inspire doing so far?

No probs mate.
Going really well and no more FW updates mate
2018-9-5
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

B1houdini Posted at 2018-9-5 10:50
Really a superb video.
Beautiful scenery.
Great opening shots with the flags,

Thank you for the feedback! Glad you liked the video!

This year our summer was kind of ruined by wildfire smoke up here in western Canada, so didn't get a chance to go out much to shoot anything, and now summer is almost done

Hopefully will have some more footage soon!
2018-9-5
Use props
MagicRide
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

Very nice video, is there any restrictions there? I'm going to Alberta in a few weeks and I hear Canada is not very drone friendly.
2018-9-7
Use props
nixuspix
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2864974 ft
  • >>>
Latvia

Absolutely awesome footage. Nice coloring and editing. Thank You so much for sharing
2018-9-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

MagicRide Posted at 2018-9-7 07:06
Very nice video, is there any restrictions there? I'm going to Alberta in a few weeks and I hear Canada is not very drone friendly.

Hello MagicRide,

This particular area is one of the few in my region that is unrestricted airspace, and the community there actually encourages drone flight and enjoys watching the flights from their waterfront homes.

However you are correct that many areas in Canada are not drone friendly... First thing I would recommend is not to trust the geo zones in the DJI GO 4 app, as they list only a small fraction of actual warning or restricted zones. Before flying, use AirMap to make an initial determination if your chosen area of flight is unrestricted, and/or free of any warnings:

AirMap: iOS
AirMap: Android

This app also has direct references to display the regulations for your given geo area in regards to federal and provincial (if any) regulations based on consumer/recreational, or commercial flight with various certification levels.

Once you've determined you're in a safe area to fly, I would then consult the by-laws of the local civic municipality you're in. Yes, I kid you not... Several cities / townships have enacted private by-laws completely banning the use of UAV's anywhere in their territory, regardless of the airspace regulations. One particular place to watch out for is sky resorts / mountains; every sky resort I've looked into have enacted complete No-Fly-Zone bans on drones, and are usually sneaky in they don't post public warnings or signage anywhere on resort grounds to that effect, but do enforce the rule nonetheless.

It's gotten to the point that you pretty much have to go into the back country completely away from civilization in order to fly legally, which puts a real damper on the joys of flying a UAV for recreational / cinematography purposes. But, if you get lucky, you can still find areas safe (and legal) to fly in.

Good luck!
2018-9-8
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Canada

nixuspix Posted at 2018-9-7 10:19
Absolutely awesome footage. Nice coloring and editing. Thank You so much for sharing

Thank you for the feedback nixuspix! I'm looking for any feedback, positive or negative, so I can improve as much as I can!

Hopefully will get more footage out soon, but we're now expecting at least a straight week of heavy rain here
2018-9-8
Use props
DroneJunkieQc
First Officer
Flight distance : 1015679 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Really nice work !
2021-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now