1738 27 2018-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JamesPigeon
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1234980 ft
Norway

Hi,

Ever after getting back my mavic air after DJI repair i feel like there has been something off with the drone itself.
Yesterday we were taking some pictures on a mountain and it wasn't that windy.

Does anyone know what can help the picture? Or is there something wrong with my camera?
I have tried IMU cal and new props.

https://ibb.co/fEQXhz

Here is also some other pictures:
https://ibb.co/copEvK
https://ibb.co/nNKgaK
https://ibb.co/bAZa2z

2018-9-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ND filters, camera profiles and light will all impact as will frame rates, ISO and shutter speeds.
2018-9-5
Use props
JamesPigeon
lvl.2
Norway

You talking about adding or removing ND filter? I are flying with DJI ND16. sunlight was from behind at the 1st picture.
Might it be the ND16 filter with the ISO400?
2018-9-5
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Definitely out of focus. Did you try to take some photos in different conditions, different times of day? I would first do that, and see what happen.
2018-9-5
Use props
JamesPigeon
lvl.2
Norway

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-5 02:45
Definitely out of focus. Did you try to take some photos in different conditions, different times of day? I would first do that, and see what happen.

Did you see the 3 other photos i have uploaded? They are from 3 different days and conditions.
2018-9-5
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

Saw them, all look out of focus. Only way that a ND filter could have negatively affect the images, is if it made your shutterspeed to slow for images. That could introduce motion blur on a drone, and the blurry look.
Have to be honest and say, that no, i don,t think that is your problem here. You have good daylight, and they all look out of focus.
I would probably send it back, again, if it where mine. Could be the focus mechanism of the camera that is out of whack.
Does your videos look sharp?
That images is un usable. Let us know about video.
2018-9-5
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

You don't want to make photos with a ND filter attached except when you want to make long exposure photos.

I once did some photos aswell and I forgot that I had my ND filter attached from video filming before, the pictures were slightly blurred because the shutter speed was too long and small movements can make your picture blurry. Test it again without ND filter.
2018-9-5
Use props
JamesPigeon
lvl.2
Norway

Uploading video to youtube. The video seems fine, that is why im asking. Maybe I am doing something wrong.. you never know ;)

2018-9-5
Use props
JamesPigeon
lvl.2
Norway

saviour Posted at 2018-9-5 03:02
You don't want to make photos with a ND filter attached except when you want to make long exposure photos.

I once did some photos aswell and I forgot that I had my ND filter attached from video filming before, the pictures were slightly blurred because the shutter speed was too long and small movements can make your picture blurry. Test it again without ND filter.

Seems like this was my settings, 1/640s ƒ/2.8 ISO400 4.5mm.
Im just a noob in these things, but is 1/640s a long time for a bright day?
2018-9-5
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

If the video is sharp, the focus should be fine. Then, test it without the ND, or make sure you get your shutterspeed around, or above 60, if none windy conditions.
Always remember, if you do use the nd filter, to make use of the general tips for photography with a nd filter.
2018-9-5
Use props
JamesPigeon
lvl.2
Norway

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-5 03:14
If the video is sharp, the focus should be fine. Then, test it without the ND, or make sure you get your shutterspeed around, or above 60, if none windy conditions.
Always remember, if you do use the nd filter, to make use of the general tips for photography with a nd filter.

I will try without the ND filter, thanks for the help so far I will come back with my findings asap.
2018-9-5
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

Are you aware of the basics of ISO, Shutterspeed and Fstop? That is the 3 things that will help you to decide what you want your shot to look like, and then, what you have to do to get it like that, and also, if the time of day is correct for that.
2018-9-5
Use props
JamesPigeon
lvl.2
Norway

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-5 03:20
Are you aware of the basics of ISO, Shutterspeed and Fstop? That is the 3 things that will help you to decide what you want your shot to look like, and then, what you have to do to get it like that, and also, if the time of day is correct for that.

Im basicly trying to keep my ISO at 100 and adjusting the shutter speed after the zebra lines on the photo i want, so i dont lose any info.
2018-9-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi James, have you tried to reset the camera settings to check? If the issue remains, please kindly provide us with the last repair case number and original pictures in the SD card for better assistance, thanks so much!
2018-9-5
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

Well, even more obvious it's the ND filter then, if your video was fine. Don't use ND filters if you take normal pictures, as I said.
2018-9-5
Use props
JamesPigeon
lvl.2
Norway

ND filter removed and camera settings reset, thanks for the help so far. I will come back to you if this solved my problem.

Btw, mavic air is awesome ;)
2018-9-5
Use props
Amjad1983
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310489 ft
United Arab Emirates

JamesPigeon Posted at 2018-9-5 03:06
Uploading video to youtube. The video seems fine, that is why im asking. Maybe I am doing something wrong.. you never know ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzmZHGwGLkg

The video not only looks fine but definitely super amazing
keep sharing please
2018-9-5
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Video looks great. More than likely your photo settings need to be tweaked than a hardware error. Let us know what resolved the issue so others can learn as well.
2018-9-5
Use props
JamesPigeon
lvl.2
Norway

So in my opinion my issue is solved. Removing my ND filter and reset of camera settings made everything better.

Here im flying in windy condition with the sun direktly behind me:
https://ibb.co/dBb69e
https://ibb.co/esauvK
https://ibb.co/c4nJNz
2018-9-5
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

JamesPigeon Posted at 2018-9-5 03:12
Seems like this was my settings, 1/640s ƒ/2.8 ISO400 4.5mm.
Im just a noob in these things, but is 1/640s a long time for a bright day?

Nope, that 1/650 is not how long the shutter is open, but how fast it opens and closes. So, that is 1x650th of a second, that is super fast. It will freeze the image, as well as freeze motion, like waves, more.
If it is, let say, 1/60 or lower, the shutter actually stays open longer, so more light get in.
That is the basics.
Have to say, i use nd filters on many, many of my photos. I also do all my landscapes with nd filters with my dslr. The drone ND filters is just a bit more finicky, and needs to be precise, to work nicely. Problem is with drone, you can not just take it off quikly, and change as the light change. Have to land, and change.

Also, not to be tooooo critical, but your video is much, much sharper than the last photos, still not sharp, slightly out of focus.
2018-9-5
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

At ISO 100, with a f2.8 (lots of light, wide open, but no option to change on the MA) and a shutterspeed of 1/2000, i freeze birds in flight. That is fast, so you should have a super sharp image.
Okay, i downloaded the images, does look a lot sharper on the download, not when opening on the net.. Now, do yourself a huge favor, and go and practice some with nd filters, they will give you amazing results with photos, if you use them correctly.
2018-9-5
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

Would like to see these clear, cool shots
2018-9-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

JamesPigeon Posted at 2018-9-5 06:52
So in my opinion my issue is solved. Removing my ND filter and reset of camera settings made everything better.

Here im flying in windy condition with the sun direktly behind me:

Hi James, glad to know the issue has been figured out, please refer to Charissa's suggestion and enjoy flying, please let us know if there is any more issue.
2018-9-5
Use props
PatrickW
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14921 ft
New Zealand

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-5 08:50
Nope, that 1/650 is not how long the shutter is open, but how fast it opens and closes. So, that is 1x650th of a second, that is super fast. It will freeze the image, as well as freeze motion, like waves, more.
If it is, let say, 1/60 or lower, the shutter actually stays open longer, so more light get in.[view_image]
That is the basics.

Actually, 1/1650 is the time that the shutter is open for, we have no control over the speed of the shutter opening and closing and if we did it would be expressed as a speed function not a time function. Shutter speed is a misnomer, it is more correctly called exposure time or Tv.
2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-5 08:50
If it is, let say, 1/60 or lower, the shutter actually stays open longer, so more light get in.[view_image]
That is the basics.

Nope, that 1/650 is not how long the shutter is open, but how fast it opens and closes.

I believe confusion is coming from how camera's with bladed shutters work.
First blade starts moving downward, allowing light to pass to camera's sensor.  (The opening part)

1/650 of a second later the Second blade starts moving downward, to block light from passing to camera's sensor. (The closing part)

The following video shows how a camera with bladed shutter works.

2018-9-5
Use props
JamesPigeon
lvl.2
Norway

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-5 21:18
Nope, that 1/650 is not how long the shutter is open, but how fast it opens and closes.

Ye thats cool Thats for teaching me a few more things, and to make things easier for me in the future.
2018-9-5
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

PatrickW Posted at 2018-9-5 19:27
Actually, 1/1650 is the time that the shutter is open for, we have no control over the speed of the shutter opening and closing and if we did it would be expressed as a speed function not a time function. Shutter speed is a misnomer, it is more correctly called exposure time or Tv.

True.
But then, we do have some control on how fast the shutter open and closes, by setting the ISO, the fstop. That is what we all do, when we change from taking, for instance, bird in flight shots, which needs a fast shutter speed, to taking landscapes, that we can use very slow shutter speeds in.
If we honestly did not have any control over SS, we would have found it extremely difficult to capture fast subjects and freeze it.

And, 1/650th of a second, is still a fast shutter speed, and the correct time that the shutter is open, as I said.
I did not want to make it to convoluted to the guy that posted the image.

Things will come in time. Just needed to explain the basics.
Also, we generally use Shutter Speed, and not shutter time, in our parts of the woods. 1/650th of a second, can definitely be measured in speed. As well as time.
Same principal, just that you would measure it in time, where we normally measure it as speed.
2018-9-6
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-5 21:18

Perfect.
That explains it well. Still the same principal, the 1/650 th, if you don,t go into it too technically, is the speed/ time the shutter opens/closes, and thus, the time light get introduced on the sensor.
Easy as that. Faster SS, less light, less motion blur. Slower SS, more light, moving objects get more blur.
Cool to do such a thing with cameras.
2018-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules