Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
MAvic 2 Pro problem with camera balance ! new video
12Next >
2129 53 2018-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RichJ53
Captain
Flight distance : 1626135 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Brand new Mavic 2 Pro  appears to have a problem with the gimbal camera assembly. Most all my DJI cameras are balanced and hold position when they are not powered on. Please watch my short video and let me know if you think this is a detective gimbal / camera.

The camera will not stay still to put the camera lock shoe in place, it takes both hands to get the plastic bubble back on the front. Hey DJI, what do you think?

I am pretty disappointed and really not looking forward to sending back my 2 week old drone.

Rich

Edit and added this new video showing the camera gimbal upside down. Notice the camera still moves in the same direction away from gravity!  

Please keep you comments coming and I look forward to DJI to take a look at this problem.
2018-9-5
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Rich, hope a DJI rep comments on this.
Cougar
2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 2993497 ft
United Kingdom

Looks normal to me.  Gimbal lock is easier with the drone upside down.
2018-9-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 4199094 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hey Rich, all I can tell you is although mine is a bit floppy , it certainly doesn’t fall straight down like yours, I could ask you to do all the calibrations but I don’t think it’s going to help you, I also find the gimbal cover impossible unless I put the drone on it’s back. Sorry I can’t be of any more help, hope you get it sorted.
2018-9-5
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2018-9-5 15:57
Rich, hope a DJI rep comments on this.
Cougar

Hi Cougar,

I am looking forward to DJI's response.  The Mavic fly's great and wish they would have made the cameras swappable    we will need to wait for the next release

Rich
2018-9-5
Use props
No Man's Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

Normal. It took a little practice for me to get it right.
2018-9-5
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-5 16:20
Hey Rich, all I can tell you is although mine is a bit floppy , it certainly doesn’t fall straight down like yours, I could ask you to do all the calibrations but I don’t think it’s going to help you, I also find the gimbal cover impossible unless I put the drone on it’s back. Sorry I can’t be of any more help, hope you get it sorted.

Thanks for your comments and this is not a calibration issue. more of a weight and balance issue. The magnets in the gimbal motors usually keep the camera balanced so you can move it around and it will stay without flopping around. This keeps the camera even, so when under power the motors do not have to support the weight of the camera and hold position.

I will post another video with the drone upside down

Rich
2018-9-5
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-5 16:18
Looks normal to me.  Gimbal lock is easier with the drone upside down.

Yes, this is easier to mount the gimbal cover for sure, but the problem is the balance of the camera. I am not worried about putting the cover on, it just makes it even harder when the camera flops down

Rich
2018-9-5
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

No Man's Drone Posted at 2018-9-5 16:39
Normal. It took a little practice for me to get it right.

thanks for commenting, but what I am seeing is not really  normal. The cover is not a big deal. I will be posting another video to show the camera issue.

Rich
2018-9-5
Use props
djiuser_PEp4mLwh74c7
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4593241 ft
  • >>>

Take a look if it is in normal position when you turn the drone power on. If it is in normal position, there will be no problem. Calibration of the gimble is needed anyway.
2018-9-5
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_PEp4mLwh74c7 Posted at 2018-9-5 18:42
Take a look if it is in normal position when you turn the drone power on. If it is in normal position, there will be no problem. Calibration of the gimble is needed anyway.

thank you for your comments. I am talking about the no power condition (power off balance of the camera)

With the power on, the camera acts normally and calibrated normally.

Rich
2018-9-5
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 183694 ft
  • >>>
United States

That looks normal to me.
2018-9-5
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 6839144 ft
South Africa

That sucks, seems to be  a lot of issues coming up with the MP2
2018-9-5
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

msinger Posted at 2018-9-5 19:25
That looks normal to me.

Not normal, my camera don't behave like that.
2018-9-6
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

msinger Posted at 2018-9-5 19:25
That looks normal to me.

Its completely normal, there's no power so yes its going to "flop".  Thats what you have when gimbals are unpowered.  Its also why they supply a gimbal clamp.
2018-9-6
Use props
Aerial-Image
Captain
Flight distance : 843829 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks totally normal - the gimbal motors winding and magnets will have some say on its position in non powered mode, as its not a perfect free balance due to this.
2018-9-6
Use props
Hedsic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 478757 ft

Looks completely normal to me. It has a 2 arm gimbal as opposed to the 1 arm gimbal on other DJI drones. That and it's an electronic gimbal.  When the power isn't turn on it basically has nothing that holds it in place and it freely moves inside of the 2 arms like that.
2018-9-6
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
Flight distance : 2451316 ft
United Kingdom

Just checked my M2P gimbal, with no power, I can move the camera to any position and the camera remains in that position. In other words the camera is perfectly at balance in any position. The video appears to show your camera is out of balance and tends to fall on its back in certain positions you move it in. Can anyone else confirm what their camera does ?
2018-9-6
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
United Kingdom

Just checked my M2P gimbal, with no power, I can move the camera to any position and the camera remains in that position. In other words the camera is perfectly at balance in any position. The video appears to show your camera is out of balance and tends to fall on its back in certain positions you move it in. Can anyone else confirm what their camera does ?
2018-9-6
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Mine flops all over the place.  Kind of what i'd expect from that shape camera assembly.
2018-9-6
Use props
Mavic57pro2
First Officer
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-6 09:18
Mine flops all over the place.  Kind of what i'd expect from that shape camera assembly.

So if you move your camera to any position, when you release it "flops", I don't quite understand, my camera is PERFECTLY BALANCED, it remains in ANY POSITION I move it to. This perfect balance is what I would expect. Less stress on the gimbal motors as it doesn't need to overcome an out of balance.
2018-9-6
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Mavic57pro2 Posted at 2018-9-6 09:33
So if you move your camera to any position, when you release it "flops", I don't quite understand, my camera is PERFECTLY BALANCED, it remains in ANY POSITION I move it to. This perfect balance is what I would expect. Less stress on the gimbal motors as it doesn't need to overcome an out of balance.

Maybe you got the US version on accident Just checked, mine stays where ever too. No flopping
2018-9-6
Use props
liketofly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1248422 ft
Austria

Yup, just checked and it stays put whereever I position it, not falling over like in the video..
2018-9-6
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

Are u kidding me? Is this real life? Lol the drone is off for sh#ts sake.... what matters is when it's powered on!
2018-9-6
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-9-5 19:46
That sucks, seems to be  a lot of issues coming up with the MP2

Don't believe it Suren. Now that I've got one, and my friend has one in Alaska with the googles, can say it's solid equipment to own. Who knows this guy could have crashed it. Or he might be irish jk
2018-9-6
Use props
No Man's Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

Guys, it's perfectly normal. Mine does the same and I have no issue with it whatsoever. My Ronin S and Ronin M gimbals are the same when not powered on.
Edit: I just saw the OP's video. Something is definitely odd but I think it's within the limits. If he's having issue while powered on, then that's rwally something.
2018-9-6
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2018-9-6 04:49
Not normal, my camera don't behave like that.

Hi Cougar

Could you post your video showing the M2P  balanced camera. This would be nice for others to see the difference and they could comment on their new Mavic 2's

Rich
2018-9-6
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2018-9-6 10:07
Don't believe it Suren. Now that I've got one, and my friend has one in Alaska with the googles, can say it's solid equipment to own. Who knows this guy could have crashed it. Or he might be irish jk

funny, this guy didn't crash it   Not a lot of issues reported so far, but things can happen with quality  control on any product.

Rich
2018-9-6
Use props
Cougar1
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RichJ53 Posted at 2018-9-6 14:26
Hi Cougar

Could you post your video showing the M2P  balanced camera. This would be nice for others to see the difference and they could comment on their new Mavic 2's

Shure Rich, here is a video of my Camera Gimbal

2018-9-6
Use props
FatherXmas
Captain
Flight distance : 3943140 ft
  • >>>

After reading this, I figured I should see what mine does, hadn't paid any attention to what the gimbal did when powered off. Mine does like Cougar1's does, stays wherever I put it. so the one Richj53 has may have an issue.
2018-9-6
Use props
Jason WAI
First Officer
Flight distance : 1292785 ft
Hong Kong

turn the drone power on...
2018-9-6
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2018-9-6 16:33
Shure Rich, here is a video of my Camera Gimbal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dGioARaUhw

Thank you Cougar

Looks like you made a new video....  Yes, I can see yours positions in the way I would expect.  You can really see the gimbal motor magnets holding and the camera balance I much better than the one I have.

Still no DJI comments?  Wondering why they are not interested in my issue?
Rich

2018-9-6
Use props
Kingram
First Officer
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

The camera doesn't look centered in the hinge there is a gap the right side , can you move the camera over at all  and even it out ?
2018-9-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hi Rich, sorry for the late response as I just read this post. The issue you mentioned has been forwarded to our engineers for double check, and we'll come back as long as there is an update. Thanks for your patience and support.
2018-9-7
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Because these cameras are mass produced they should all be identical, my m2 Pro does not do this, I think there’s a problem with one of the gimbal motors, most likely a problem with the magnets inside. You should return it because it will probably wear out prematurely...
2018-9-7
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Kingram Posted at 2018-9-6 18:37
The camera doesn't look centered in the hinge there is a gap the right side , can you move the camera over at all  and even it out ?

Hi Ken
The gimbal cannot be moved and this is the way I received it. As I mentioned above, the camera works normally when it is powered on, but I can only think this is not good for the long term. I would also think the battery life would be affected holding up a camera that is not balanced.

Rich
2018-9-7
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-9-7 03:57
Hi Rich, sorry for the late response as I just read this post. The issue you mentioned has been forwarded to our engineers for double check, and we'll come back as long as there is an update. Thanks for your patience and support.

Hi Susan,

Thank you for looking into this for me. As I mentioned above, the camera works normally when it is powered on, but I can only think this is not good for the long term. Also think the battery life would be affected holding up a camera that is not balanced.

All the best
Rich
2018-9-7
Use props
RichJ53
Captain
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-9-7 04:12
Because these cameras are mass produced they should all be identical, my m2 Pro does not do this, I think there’s a problem with one of the gimbal motors, most likely a problem with the magnets inside. You should return it because it will probably wear out prematurely...

Hi R&L

Thanks for your input and this is my gut feeling as well.  I am not looking forward to sending back my new Mavic 2 Pro

All the best
Rich
2018-9-7
Use props
jburkett
lvl.2

Hong Kong

This phenomenon will not affect the performance of the gimbal.The production process of gimbals is very mature, and each gimbal is balanced.
2018-9-10
Use props
El Diablo
First Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-10
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules