My first serious issue with MP - camera issue
1876 29 2018-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyDK
First Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

When I started my drone today, I was met by an unpleasant surprise. The bird flew well and everything worked normally as usual - only apart from camera focus. I could not make it focus, in any way. Neither via "Manual Focus", "Tap to Focus" or in "Auto Focus" /combined with TtF.

I went back home again to investigate it further. Firmware was updated in advance (flew with it yesterday) but became "Refreshed". IMU and Gimbal were calibrated and camera settings were reset. After reboot, unfortunately there were no changes, so now my MP have to go back to the store to be repaired within the warranty.

Watch an unedited video clip of the issues here - it's pretty odd.
(I'll remove the clip later, as it fills unnecessarily on my online drive)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QeDpt05UcdZbT3cqnDLQQ1LUH_6bwRFO/view

I think it's a mechanical error inside the camera as it seems that the focus lens moves around as it wants. What do you think?

Also a single picture taken on the landing pad. Note focus in some places while others are totally blured. And it constantly changes during video recording.

onground1.jpg

By the way..! I flew my MP yesterday without any issues, and no - I haven't crashed it or bumped it.

2018-9-6
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

Wow, 50 views and not a single reply.
2018-9-6
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

FlyDK Posted at 2018-9-6 14:57

I unfortunately do not own a Mavic Pro, otherwise I might have been able to contribute dear friend. But at least you have a reply now ;-)
2018-9-6
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

FlyDK Posted at 2018-9-6 14:57

Well it's most definitely not right, would there be any marks or smudges on front glass that might be affecting autofocus ?
2018-9-6
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-6 15:09
I unfortunately do not own a Mavic Pro, otherwise I might have been able to contribute dear friend. But at least you have a reply now ;-)

Nice of you - thank you.
2018-9-6
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-6 15:10
Well it's most definitely not right, would there be any marks or smudges on front glass that might be affecting autofocus ?

Thank you for commenting.
It was one of the first things I thought of, but then realized that the strange way the camera behaves on braking and acceleration must indicate something else. Of course, it was controlled nevertheless, but there was nothing to see.
2018-9-6
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

FlyDK Posted at 2018-9-6 15:25
Thank you for commenting.
It was one of the first things I thought of, but then realized that the strange way the camera behaves on braking and acceleration must indicate something else. Of course, it was controlled nevertheless, but there was nothing to see.

Given that you've tried the refresh firmware and App' then I would do same as yourself, straight back to shop for a replacement.

Any item is most likely to fail when new or reasonably old, which is why all the extended warranties target the 2-4 year old range where things are less likely to fail.
2018-9-6
Use props
iKell Aerial
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535308 ft
  • >>>
United States

Start a case with DJI. That is definitely not normal, in any case it should not be able to have the tilt-shift look you have going there. Defective.
2018-9-6
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-6 15:32
Given that you've tried the refresh firmware and App' then I would do same as yourself, straight back to shop for a replacement.

Any item is most likely to fail when new or reasonably old, which is why all the extended warranties target the 2-4 year old range where things are less likely to fail.

Refresh did not help at all. Maybe going back to the previous firmware can solve the problem - is it worth a try?

The MP is not new. I bought it in an "Elgiganten" (huge chain of stores in the Nordic countries), in November last year. As a Dane, I have two years of complaint under the law, so it will not be a problem to get it repaired or exchanged.
2018-9-6
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

iKell Aerial Posted at 2018-9-6 15:36
Start a case with DJI. That is definitely not normal, in any case it should not be able to have the tilt-shift look you have going there. Defective.

Thanks for commenting.
I'm actually in doubt about what to do, but I think the easiest thing for me would be to turn where I bought the drone and just hand it over there. Then they will have to take care of what's going to happen.

On the other hand, I can easily imagine that it may take a long time before I get it back. Maybe it will be faster if I go directly to DJI ..?

Hope there will be an Admin here with directions.
2018-9-6
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

not sure thats defective from that one picture alone. it is a weird focus but, not all of the blurring is genuine, some of it is software faking it.

take a picture further away of something like a straight and level brick wall where there is fairly even symmetry and repeating patterns that can help rule out issues with lens distortion...  then do same test over an open field flying hovering in spot then taking a picture of the grass below..

edit: nevermind your video just loaded for me finally!  ya thats messed up camera/gimbal....     

only positive thing i can think of is..  well i guess if u needed a reason to replace your mavic pro, you got one now.  
2018-9-6
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft

FlyDK Posted at 2018-9-6 16:28
Refresh did not help at all. Maybe going back to the previous firmware can solve the problem - is it worth a try?

The MP is not new. I bought it in an "Elgiganten" (huge chain of stores in the Nordic countries), in November last year. As a Dane, I have two years of complaint under the law, so it will not be a problem to get it repaired or exchanged.

Fwiw, I've solved firmware problems in the past when a simple refresh didn't do the job by reverting to an older version and then re-updating to the current, so it might be worth a try. Good luck!

Have you tried completely removing your Go 4 and reinstalling? Might as well cover all the bases if you haven't tried already. Be sure you sync your logs before reinstalling or all your data wil be lost.

2018-9-6
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Sorry to hear about this, glad you bought it on Elgiganten, then it should not be any problem. Did the same calculation when I bought mine from a local shop.
I think you should follow ex Machinas advise and downgrade first, test it and see if it's gone then try to upgrade again before doing something more.

If you have not crashed or anything than it must be a software issues. I once "upgraded" mine and got OK but some days later the DJI Assistant showed that I had the "previous" version somehow.

Good luck
2018-9-6
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>

FlyDK Posted at 2018-9-6 16:28

Certainly worth a try, one nice thing with the Mavic Pro is the ability to roll back firmware in Assistant 2.
2018-9-6
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>

I had one issue, sort of similar with my MP.
It would not focus at all on one occasion.
Tried a reboot, different battery, manual focus etc. Nothing would help.

But it was getting too dark to fly and I went back to the campsite.
The next morning all was good again fortunately.
Never found the real cause.

But if the problem persists. Just return it and start a case.
I had one problem and DJI fixed it for me (GPS error)

2018-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>

Oh and lately I noticed there is a lot of activity on this forum, so your post gets lost down the next page soon.
Not too many repliers if it gets to the second page in a hurry.....
2018-9-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Funny enough I had similar problems, but out of nowhere it cleared up, with my Mavic Pro I would regularly calibrate gimbal because of tilted horizon, not sure if I caused it or cured it, if the problem continues and is still under warranty it might be best to send in,
2018-9-7
Use props
DJIJAKOB
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Issues like this are never fun, but sadly they do happen. From what you have tried I don't think there is anything more you can do, other than to register a case with DJI, or go back to the company you purchased the Mavic Pro from. Hope your issue is fixed as fast as possible, and that you are up in the air again soon!
2018-9-7
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-6 16:42
not sure thats defective from that one picture alone. it is a weird focus but, not all of the blurring is genuine, some of it is software faking it.

take a picture further away of something like a straight and level brick wall where there is fairly even symmetry and repeating patterns that can help rule out issues with lens distortion...  then do same test over an open field flying hovering in spot then taking a picture of the grass below..

Thank you for your feedback.
Well, with all the issues regarding the M2P, I'll wait a while to by it - if ever. I love my MP and I'm going to return it to the store today.
2018-9-7
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-9-6 16:47
Fwiw, I've solved firmware problems in the past when a simple refresh didn't do the job by reverting to an older version and then re-updating to the current, so it might be worth a try. Good luck!

Have you tried completely removing your Go 4 and reinstalling? Might as well cover all the bases if you haven't tried already. Be sure you sync your logs before reinstalling or all your data wil be lost.

Thank you for your feedback.
All of your suggests I've tried as well as all the other things I have learned, one should try. Nothing has helped, so now my flying camera must go to the workshop.
2018-9-7
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

Flybee Posted at 2018-9-6 21:55
Sorry to hear about this, glad you bought it on Elgiganten, then it should not be any problem. Did the same calculation when I bought mine from a local shop.
I think you should follow ex Machinas advise and downgrade first, test it and see if it's gone then try to upgrade again before doing something more.

Thank you for trying to help me.
Regarding Ex Machinas fine advise, please check 20#

Never crashed it, but I no longer believe it's a software issue. All noon I've uninstalled/reinstalled/downgraded/upgraded/refreshed and so on, but I'm getting nowhere. I'm positive it's a hardware issue now, and the whole package is going back to the shop today.
2018-9-7
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-6 23:42
Certainly worth a try, one nice thing with the Mavic Pro is the ability to roll back firmware in Assistant 2.

Tried it - didn't work. But thanks mate.
2018-9-7
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-9-7 01:49
Oh and lately I noticed there is a lot of activity on this forum, so your post gets lost down the next page soon.
Not too many repliers if it gets to the second page in a hurry.....

Thanks for your replies mate.
Yeah, I've noticed that too, and it's not a new thing. Many believe that all news is on page one and they might miss out some good stuff. Page one is ok, but then you have to use filtering by picking a subcategory.

My MP will be returned to the store today. I just had the customer support on the phone.
2018-9-7
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-7 02:02
Funny enough I had similar problems, but out of nowhere it cleared up, with my Mavic Pro I would regularly calibrate gimbal because of tilted horizon, not sure if I caused it or cured it, if the problem continues and is still under warranty it might be best to send in,

Thank you for replying mate.
I have often had the same thoughts ... we adjust and upgrade firmware in infinity. It can not be good in the long run. It should be such that when buying equipment in these price ranges, it was tested thoroughly in advance without the need for further upgrades.

It's going back.
2018-9-7
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

DJIJAKOB Posted at 2018-9-7 02:04
Issues like this are never fun, but sadly they do happen. From what you have tried I don't think there is anything more you can do, other than to register a case with DJI, or go back to the company you purchased the Mavic Pro from. Hope your issue is fixed as fast as possible, and that you are up in the air again soon!

Thank you for replying and your kind thoughts.
2018-9-7
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

FlyDK Posted at 2018-9-7 02:59
Thank you for trying to help me.
Regarding Ex Machinas fine advise, please check 20#

Ok, then you have tried it.

Hope it will get solved soon.

2018-9-7
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

Flybee Posted at 2018-9-7 03:20
Ok, then you have tried it.

Hope it will get solved soon.

2018-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>

FlyDK Posted at 2018-9-7 03:08
Yeah, I've noticed that too, and it's not a new thing. Many believe that all news is on page one and they might miss out some good stuff. Page one is ok, but then you have to use filtering by picking a subcategory.

Yes, the benefit of an active community does have drawbacks.
2018-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>

FlyDK Posted at 2018-9-7 03:08
Yeah, I've noticed that too, and it's not a new thing. Many believe that all news is on page one and they might miss out some good stuff. Page one is ok, but then you have to use filtering by picking a subcategory.

Hope you will get it sorted out soon!
2018-9-7
Use props
FlyDK
First Officer
Denmark

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-9-7 03:27
Hope you will get it sorted out soon!

2018-9-7
Use props
Advanced