Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Precision Landing Will be Restored on the M2!
12Next >
1535 47 2018-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TommyGa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 222828 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI seems to have realized their mistake! Glad to see they paid attention to the outcry online and are now reversing course! Kudos to them, in spite of certain shills defending every which way to diminish what the majority clearly want!
Capture.JPG
2018-9-6
Use props
Paul_IA
First Officer
Flight distance : 4302172 ft
United States

Awesome! I am one step closer to considering a purchase then. Waiting to see how the other missing features pan out as well.
2018-9-6
Use props
EdisonW1979
First Officer
Flight distance : 1366555 ft
Canada

I've also seen them respond to this here on the forum, so at least we have a response!

Now the question, how long will it take them to bring this feature to the M2??
2018-9-6
Use props
BigIslandKeoki
lvl.1
Flight distance : 289016 ft

Awesomeness!!
2018-9-6
Use props
CineView Media
First Officer
Flight distance : 3778409 ft
  • >>>
Norway

What is this feature good for anyway?
2018-9-6
Use props
marklyn59
First Officer
Flight distance : 395072 ft
United States

Excellent!  I am also one step closer to buying one now... will wait and see what pans out further.
2018-9-6
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

CineView Media Posted at 2018-9-6 12:34
What is this feature good for anyway?

There always has to be a wisecracker telling people what they need or not. If you don't need it ... good for you ... nothing else to say about it. I am glad to hear this news.
2018-9-6
Use props
CineView Media
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

HCL Posted at 2018-9-6 12:45
There always has to be a wisecracker telling people what they need or not. If you don't need it ... good for you ... nothing else to say about it. I am glad to hear this news.

It was a simple question, not a statement.
2018-9-6
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

CineView Media Posted at 2018-9-6 12:59
It was a simple question, not a statement.

Okay, considering your status it looked like you are aware of this feature and it was kind of a statement ;-)
A feature that ensures my expensive aircraft returns on the exact desired landing spot (especially on it's own) is a safety option that secures my investment.
2018-9-6
Use props
CompleteNewbie
lvl.2

United States

PLEASE WAIT PATIENTLY

It's so hard to infer the meaning when there is a language barrier going on.

I do have hope this will happen soon, because the DJI rep said "the" future firmware upgrade, and not "a" future firmware upgrade. This is just me getting my hopes up, but it seems like they know about when the next upgrade will come, and precision landing will be part of it... This is definitely better than something like: "We appreciate your feedback and have sent the request to our development team. If you create a poll and it gets enough votes, we will add it to our request list and may consider adding it to a future update within the next few years."
2018-9-6
Use props
Hedsic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 478757 ft

That's good it's coming back. Means they are listening.
2018-9-6
Use props
CompleteNewbie
lvl.2

United States

HCL Posted at 2018-9-6 13:05
Okay, considering your status it looked like you are aware of this feature and it was kind of a statement ;-)
A feature that ensures my expensive aircraft returns on the exact desired landing spot (especially on it's own) is a safety option that secures my investment.

I agree. I've got a $20 mini drone from Amazon, and it's sort of plastic-rubberized. It actually hovers pretty well... but no, it's got no automatic landing features and certainly not precision landing. I've crashed it at full speed... like a whopping 5 mph... into a wall and it was totally fine.

Now, a brand new Mavic 2??? Heck yeah I want precision landing. If I want to push a button to have it land right in the middle of my orange landing pad, just because I don't feel like landing it, or the wind kicked up or any number of reasons, you better bet I want my ~$1,500 drone to land EXACTLY where it took off!

2018-9-6
Use props
CineView Media
First Officer
  • >>>
Norway

HCL Posted at 2018-9-6 13:05
A feature that ensures my expensive aircraft returns on the exact desired landing spot (especially on it's own) is a safety option that secures my investment.

Well, i thought it already was there, i mean, when i tested the RTH function, it landed within 10cm from the TO place, is it better than that?
I never bothered to investigate this feature further before
2018-9-6
Use props
Oracle Miata
Captain
Flight distance : 1987959 ft
  • >>>
United States

Meh, ok fine.  Glad everyone is happy.
2018-9-6
Use props
HCL
lvl.2
Germany

CineView Media Posted at 2018-9-6 13:19
Well, i thought it already was there, i mean, when i tested the RTH function, it landed within 10cm from the TO place, is it better than that?

There is another thread were people arguing about this topic and some say that without PL the RTH function uses GPS only and noticed differences in the range of several meters. But they are really bashing each other about this :-)
2018-9-6
Use props
rwynant V1
Captain
Flight distance : 2005722 ft

Sometimes a simple RTH will land your craft very close to the exact TO point.

Sometimes it will land as stated by others here, and in many other threads that,  it CAN land a few meters away in almost any direction from the TO Point.

The Precision Landing feature uses the down facing camera to "see" the actual TO Point for a Precision Landing.    There does, as I hear it, need be some TEXTURE to the landing zone which is why the landing Pads that DJI came up with have a Pattern.......

Randy
2018-9-6
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 2993497 ft
United Kingdom

Because you got lucky with your one test.
GPS accuracy is 3-5m so it can land anywhere inside that radius without precision landing.
2018-9-6
Use props
No Man's Drone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

+1 on DJI for listening to their customers
2018-9-6
Use props
CaptureAZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141 ft
United States

I think I've used precision landing once in my 300+ flights.  
2018-9-6
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

CaptureAZ Posted at 2018-9-6 13:50
I think I've used precision landing once in my 300+ flights.

And the one time its forced on you as the RC has disconnected and wont reconnect for various reasons you'll be glad it works.
As opposed to watching your shiny new drone fly home then crash into something in about a 15ft radius of the landing zone which is the case now.
2018-9-6
Use props
Alex B.
Captain
Flight distance : 4622680 ft

Spain

That’s good news!
Thanks DJI, well done

Fly safely everyone
Alex
2018-9-6
Use props
CaptureAZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141 ft
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-6 16:01
And the one time its forced on you as the RC has disconnected and wont reconnect for various reasons you'll be glad it works.
As opposed to watching your shiny new drone fly home then crash into something in about a 15ft radius of the landing zone which is the case now.

15 feet is a little fictitious.  Regular return to home is within ~3 feet of original take off, every time.
2018-9-6
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 6313048 ft
  • >>>

Imagine that...
2018-9-6
Use props
Dirty Bird
Captain
Flight distance : 6313048 ft
  • >>>

"The future will determine which of us is correct."

Case closed...

2018-9-6
Use props
Hedsic
Second Officer
Flight distance : 478757 ft

Personally I love using RTH. I dont use it every time but sometimes it's just amazing to watch it do everything alit's own. It's own.
2018-9-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

Hedsic Posted at 2018-9-6 18:15
Personally I love using RTH. I dont use it every time but sometimes it's just amazing to watch it do everything alit's own. It's own.

It does give you time to finish off that last cold one.  
2018-9-6
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Captain
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-6 12:27
I've also seen them respond to this here on the forum, so at least we have a response!

Now the question, how long will it take them to bring this feature to the M2??

Need to start a Betting Pool.
2018-9-6
Use props
Glenn Goodlett
First Officer
Flight distance : 24515203 ft
  • >>>

My M2P landed 15 feet off today. Didn't even hit the landing pad. Was getting beat out by a Phanton 3 and blown away by the 2 other Mavic pros.
2018-9-6
Use props
Duncandonut
Captain
Flight distance : 1800909 ft
United Kingdom

When I flew my Mavic Pro off the edge of the cliffs at Beachy Head, I was glad to have precision landing as whilst flying the remote disconnected and would not reconnect. RTH worked perfectly and my Mavic Pro landed within inches of the take of point. My Mavic 2 Pro whilst testing on Saturday was consistently landing 15-20ft away from the take off point. If this was again at the top of the cliffs my Mavic 2 Pro would potentially have been lost.

The people saying “You don’t need precision landing” I guess have never had a near miss. I feel it is a much needed feature that should have been in the drone from the start.
2018-9-6
Use props
Elanor
lvl.3
Flight distance : 332405 ft
Italy

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-6 16:01
And the one time its forced on you as the RC has disconnected and wont reconnect for various reasons you'll be glad it works.

That's the precise purpose I was thinking of.
To tell the truth, I've never used precision landing in my P4P (except for a few tests). Anyway, I'm feeling pretty uncomfortable with the M2P in case something goes wrong. Let's say it loses the connection with the remote, and it can't reconnect no matter what and consequently it needs to land without human input.
That's a rather catastrophic chain of events, and I think it's quite unlikely, but it's always good to know the drone will take care of himself!
2018-9-7
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

CaptureAZ Posted at 2018-9-6 16:50
15 feet is a little fictitious.  Regular return to home is within ~3 feet of original take off, every time.

Now try it at various times of days and day.  And in areas was the sky blocked at various angles due to terrain, buildings or trees.
Your GDOP is going to be much worse and wherefore so will the landing.
2018-9-7
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Elanor Posted at 2018-9-7 00:29
That's the precise purpose I was thinking of.
To tell the truth, I've never used precision landing in my P4P (except for a few tests). Anyway, I'm feeling pretty uncomfortable with the M2P in case something goes wrong. Let's say it loses the connection with the remote, and it can't reconnect no matter what and consequently it needs to land without human input.
That's a rather catastrophic chain of events, and I think it's quite unlikely, but it's always good to know the drone will take care of himself!

I hand catch 90% of the time so dont use precision landing.

BUT ive had one instance with the MP where the RC lost contact with the drone and despite restarting it and only being 100m or so away simply would not reconnect to it.  I guess a software lockup of sorts.
The MP came home and landed exactly where it took off from safely.
It avoided the water 3m away, the plant pots, the fences, the rocks and everything else.  Without precision landing the drone would likely have been damaged or lost.

That siituation is why i want precision landing.  RC batteries run out,they get dropped, software can lock so you want a last ditch emergency that'll get the drone back safely.  One that "sort of gets it back and then toss a coin to see if it gets damaged or not" isn't a backup i'd like to have to rely on.
2018-9-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 4724977 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-7 01:10
Now try it at various times of days and day.  And in areas was the sky blocked at various angles due to terrain, buildings or trees.
Your GDOP is going to be much worse and wherefore so will the landing.

Clouds or dense rain will not effect your gps signal, if buildings or trees effect your gps signal it will also effect Mavic Pro signal, so if gps is out by 20 feet both drones will have problems finding the homepoint.
You might answer a question for me, how is there were never any problems with RTH on Phantom 4, using regular RTH , and 1 to 3 feet is where this drone would always land.
No drones ended up in neighbors gardens no drones were lost of the side of cliffs, you will see below a fair test using M2 , yes it missed the mat, but you can clearly see that it was pretty accurate when landing and this is how it works with other drones that don’t use PL. yes if it can be done add PL, but regular RTH is not anything like you are portraying here.

2018-9-7
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
United Kingdom

Clouds or dense rain will not effect your gps signal,

if buildings or trees effect your gps signal it will also effect Mavic Pro signal, so if gps is out by 20 feet both drones will have problems finding the homepoint.

That bit isn't correct.  Assuming the GPS is accurate enough to get within about 3-5m of the landing location the mavic 1 swithes to its downward cameras from about 30ft and makes multiple course corrections before landing.  Something clear on the screen to see, and provides "Precision landing - correcting position" prompts and in the log files.  So it uses the GPS to get near enough and the cameras to fine tune.
This is what the mavic 2 doesn't do.

You might answer a question for me, how is there were never any problems with RTH on Phantom 4, using regular RTH , and 1 to 3 feet is where this drone would always land.

The P4 has precision landing.  Older phantoms are all over the place landing.  Plus people fly them from more open areas.  "Regular RTH" means nothing.  If you're climbing to 5-6m after take off then you ARE using precision landing on it whether you selected it or not.  Most people do this without even realising.

No drones ended up in neighboUrs gardens no drones were lost of the side of cliffs, you will see below a fair test using M2 , yes it missed the mat, but you can clearly see that it was pretty accurate when landing and this is how it works with other drones that don’t use PL. yes if it can be done add PL, but regular RTH is not anything like you are portraying here.

What you claim simply isn't true.  RTH if you're lucky with geometry, have a good GDOP and a nice clear view of the sky can be about 3m or so, sometimes better.  IT can also be substantially worse.  And it'll be worse if chunks of the sky are blocked.
No end of youtube videos showing how far off it CAN be (5-10ft or more).

The older drones that DONT have PL are off by the same margin, always have been, always will be.

I had one flight with 5 landings that got it to within about 1m.  Nowhere near as good as the MP but maybe ok in an emergency.  6 hours later with 5 further landings in a more urban location it was off by 3m,2m,2m,2.5m,4m.  All of which needed manual intervention to stop it hitting the house roof, the overhead wires, a neighbours garden and a tree.

Satellites move, horizons get obscured, to a lesser extent atmospheric interference all case degradation of GPS.

As DJI have now said they'll bring it back it looks like you're in the minority - people want a drone that can accurately return as opposed to get to the correct post code.
2018-9-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 4724977 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-7 01:41
That bit isn't correct.  Assuming the GPS is accurate enough to get within about 3-5m of the landing location the mavic 1 swithes to its downward cameras from about 30ft and makes multiple course corrections before landing.  Something clear on the screen to see, and provides "Precision landing - correcting position" prompts and in the log files.  So it uses the GPS to get near enough and the cameras to fine tune.
This is what the mavic 2 doesn't do.

I speak from experience and have owned P4 since it was released, and it didn’t have PL for a year and a half and I noticed you distance is now going from 5 metres to 5 feet.
For those having problems with drone landing 5 metres to 20ft away then they should post logs and video of this happening, simply because it shouldn’t . I still am waiting for someone to show a test of drone landing 20ft away. Taking off in tight spaces is neither recommended or safe.
And again if gps is low or Bad and is 20 ft out then it won’t matter whether you have PL or not, I have never seen Mavic Pro move 20 ft in the air to get to it’s landing pad.
2018-9-7
Use props
TommyGa
Second Officer
  • >>>

Hallmark- we understand that you don’t care if DJI made a mistake or not. You are in the minority. Could you please leave this thread for those who are/were upset that it was a feature that was obviously a mistake to remove? Thank you.
2018-9-7
Use props
BumblerBee
First Officer
Flight distance : 609816 ft
Norway

Good that this feature will be in M2. Sometimes I take off from the helipad with it being surrounded by tall grass or, worse, small rocks and stones sticking up. If I have to use RTH in those conditions (though I prefer to always land manually), the AC better land on the helipad, or the propes will need changing if it's a meter or two off the mark.
2018-9-7
Use props
phillbarnes
First Officer
Flight distance : 36680 ft
  • >>>
Spain

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-7 03:39
Hallmark- we understand that you don’t care if DJI made a mistake or not. You are in the minority. Could you please leave this thread for those who are/were upset that it was a feature that was obviously a mistake to remove? Thank you.

I wonder if now they have sorted out PL due to the outcry if they will re-think Crystal sky.  Hopefully they will
2018-9-7
Use props
TommyGa
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

phillbarnes Posted at 2018-9-7 05:55
I wonder if now they have sorted out PL due to the outcry if they will re-think Crystal sky.  Hopefully they will

That and hopefully the barrel distortion in Dlog mode. Or at least add some color profiles...
2018-9-7
Use props
Zatx
First Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

My issue with the whole Precision Landing brew-ha-ha (other than the fact it is missing) is the people defending Dji for removing it. Why are you doing this? Eliminating ANY features is not good for the consumer. Oh, sure, a feature you don't use is removed, so you don't care, but when a corporation sees they can make a boneheaded move like removing a safety feature and a % of their fanbase will defend them, more features disappear from future devices. The M2P got a fantastic camera, but it also had a lot of outstanding features from previous drones, removed... for what appears in many cases to be based on marketing (buy multiple drones to get the features you want).
2018-9-7
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules