Ronin-S bug, keeps losing orientation after recording ends...
123Next >
11385 101 2018-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Question for your engineers:

Regarding the separate power for the Gimbal and the Battery.
If I power down the gimbal without powering down the battery, is there any status information that continues to be stored in the gimbal as long as the battery is powered?  

The reason I ask is this;  
As I have made clear, my problems with the gimbal seem to occur (Mostly) when my Ronin is connected to a monitor.  But there have now been a few times where the Ronin continued to have problems after I disconnected the monitor and rebooted the camera and the Gimbal.  I never thought to reset the power on the battery as well.  So I am curious if the errant behavior of the gimbal continued after I rebooted (the gimbal) because I never powered down the battery... possibly causing  the gimbal to continue to glitch since it never was cleared of its fault state.

After I power down the entire gimbal and battery, the Ronin again works perfectly.  But when I have only powered down the gimbal (to stop it from wildly flipping my camera around), the gimbal continues to act poorly after I boot it back up.  The only constant being that the battery was never shut down when I powered off the gimbal.
2018-9-10
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.3
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-9-10 04:21

Thanks for the input, your problem is a bit different and while it might be related, I think it might make more sense to create a separate thread for your issue.

Right now, me and Gafka and as it seems the others have identical issues.
2018-9-10
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Librebowski Posted at 2018-9-10 05:31
Thanks for the input, your problem is a bit different and while it might be related, I think it might make more sense to create a separate thread for your issue.

Right now, me and Gafka and as it seems the others have identical issues.

Hiya Lib,

While I agree that many of our symptoms are different, the bottom line is, connect the USB-C cable to our GH5 or GH5s and the gimbal doesn't operate as expected.  I have similar issues to what you showed in your video too.  My pan will sometimes quit panning and acts as if I am holding the trigger down (meaning that the pan doesn't pan, no matter which way I move the gimbal, the lens points forward (exactly as if holding down the trigger), then it will randomly snap into place.  I also have additional issues (like Gafka mentioned) where the gimbal will start moving wildly all over the place giving my camera a ride).  I should try the 4k 60p thing I guess, to see if mine exhibits the same problem.
2018-9-10
Use props
LAStory
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53862 ft
United States

If so many people, myself included are experiencing this issue with the GH5, how could DJI have not experienced this during research and development?  Surely this is not new to your engineers?  Why would you be just investigating the problem now?  And about the"keep you posted" line.  DJI has been errant and absent when it comes to keeping Ronin-S owners in the loop.  Hopefully you sort things out with firmware.  Otherwise you will be recalling a lot of units, or facing a large class action lawsuit.  
2018-9-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fansc749c687 Posted at 2018-9-10 03:01
Not the exact same issue, but when I do a pan from left to right then I start to move down, the pan stops for a while then jumps a few centimeters and then carries on. Then one time when I was doing a complex move, the Ronin started to do some strange moves like out of my control, and then it started to autotune itself automatically. And whatever settings I do in smoothtrack, I cannot get a smooth footage when walking. The image is shaky, especially on the horizontal level. And before the admin or anyone asks, everything is perfectly balanced, screws tightened, lens support attached and tightened.

I also have other DJI gimbals and non of them do this. They follow the movement of my hand smoothly. I cannot do that with the Ronin S. I might have a faulty one. I dont know.

Hi there, sorry for the troubles on operating the Ronin-S, please tilt the device 45°, then check if the Power value of all the motors is within the range of +/-5. If not, please balance again.
If the issue persists, please share us a short video for further support since your issue is different from other users in this thread, thank you in advance.
2018-9-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

russkn87 Posted at 2018-9-8 23:42
Help! Using my Ronin-S for the first time tonight at a party. Got 2 issues.
1.Firstly, it's a biggie - half way through shooting the Ronin becomes unresponsive to button presses and then all of a sudden goes into an uncontrollable spin, winding up my HDMI cable and freaking out until I turn it off then on again! Nightmare!
2. I notice when I pan with my GH5, the first split second of movement in the pan is very jerky, like the gimbal is 'holding' the first bit of movement. It looks awful! Is it to do with my deadband settings or...? IBIS is off in camera & lens.

Hi there, sorry for the troubles on operating the Ronin-S, please tilt the device 45°, then check if the Power value of all the motors is within the range of +/-5. If not, please balance again, after the balance, please do an Auto Tune to make sure all the axes work well.
Are you attaching an external monitor via HDMI cable? If yes, please remove it to see if the issue persists.
For the second issue, please try the joystick calibration by pressing for times and hold, then reset the gimbal settings, looking forward to your feedback. GTScreenshot_20180911_152136.png
2018-9-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

LAStory Posted at 2018-9-10 13:39
If so many people, myself included are experiencing this issue with the GH5, how could DJI have not experienced this during research and development?  Surely this is not new to your engineers?  Why would you be just investigating the problem now?  And about the"keep you posted" line.  DJI has been errant and absent when it comes to keeping Ronin-S owners in the loop.  Hopefully you sort things out with firmware.  Otherwise you will be recalling a lot of units, or facing a large class action lawsuit.

Hi LAStory, we are sorry to know you have the same issue, does your issue only happen when shooting in 4k, 50fps and 60fps? If yes, our engineers are keeping testing, this is not what we want our customers to experience either, if there is any update, I will keep you posted, thank you.
2018-9-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-9-10 04:21

Hi Mabou, the grip will power off automatically if it is not connected to the gimbal or the gimbal is powered on for 12 hours, it should have nothing to do with the battery, but we recommend to power off the gimbal and the grip if you don't use them.
It is not recommended to use the external monitor if the gimbal keeps shaking when attaching it, we are still testing to try to replicate the issue, I haven't received the feedback yet, please wait patiently, thank you.
2018-9-11
Use props
Gafka
lvl.2
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-11 02:18
Hi Mabou, the grip will power off automatically if it is not connected to the gimbal or the gimbal is powered on for 12 hours, it should have nothing to do with the battery, but we recommend to power off the gimbal and the grip if you don't use them.
It is not recommended to use the external monitor if the gimbal keeps shaking when attaching it, we are still testing to try to replicate the issue, I haven't received the feedback yet, please wait patiently, thank you.

Hi Mindy, could you please at least provide an ETA? I mean, there’s been a couple of days and so far you’ve only asked for more details and said that your engineers have been unable to reproduce the issue.
You’ve repeated several times that this is not the way you want your customers to experience with your products, I’m just asking you prove some kind of commitment.
2018-9-11
Use props
LAStory
lvl.2
United States

I have a GH5 paired with a Lumix 12-35.  Same set up as in the video of this post.  This occured at 4k 24 frames 60 hertz.  It became much worse after using the Ronin-S for about 3 hours continuously.  At this point I stopped using it because it  happened every couple of minutes about 3 times in a row.  I have had major issues with the gimbal since I received it.  Not only did I have these violent events, I had major problems with vibration of the roll axis motor.  New firmware seems to have alleviated the latter issue, but not the violent events.   I waited for your new firmware because I wanted to believe that you could fix the issues that way.  I am returning it today to DJI because I think you may have inherit flaw with the design of this gimbal (at least when operating in tandem with my set up).  One that firmware may not not fix.
2018-9-11
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.3
United States

Gafka Posted at 2018-9-11 03:24
Hi Mindy, could you please at least provide an ETA? I mean, there’s been a couple of days and so far you’ve only asked for more details and said that your engineers have been unable to reproduce the issue.
You’ve repeated several times that this is not the way you want your customers to experience with your products, I’m just asking you prove some kind of commitment.

Hello again everyone, I just wanted to point out the engineers are already aware of rare cases where the gimbal "loses orientation data" according to the details published in the changelog of firmware v 1.4.0.30 for the Ronin S.

From my testing and others in this thread these are far from rare cases. I would actually describe these as very very frequent cases.

I can personally get my Ronin S to freak out and loose orientation every single time.

2018-9-12
Use props
Gafka
lvl.2
Spain

Hi Mindy, it’s been more than 48hrs since your last response. Any updates?
2018-9-13
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

Hi, I'm supposed to get the ronin s soon and I own a gh5s.
After seeing what it does to the camera, I'm afraid to mount the gh5s on it, so no damage will be done to the camera or the lens.

Doea this happen a lot? What do you do when it's freaking out?

Are you dji, will take responsibility for damage the ronin will do to the camera if it will be proven occurred by this bug?
2018-9-15
Use props
Gafka
lvl.2
Spain

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2018-9-15 14:56
After seeing what it does to the camera, I'm afraid to mount the gh5s on it, so no damage will be done to the camera or the lens.

Everytime the ronin is connected to the GH5, it can be reproduced. The steps to reproduce it are detailed in the first post.
So far, the only response from DJI has been to state that they have been unable to reproduce the issue.
Also, they haven’t been responding to our messages for the last few days. I’m not sure how to interpret this, but I’m guessing is not good news for us.
2018-9-15
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.3
United States

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2018-9-15 14:56
After seeing what it does to the camera, I'm afraid to mount the gh5s on it, so no damage will be done to the camera or the lens.

Exactly the same experience like Gafka said,. Me and the others are patiently waiting for a response from DJI. I think one poster on here already returned their Ronin S. I personally think they SHOULD be able to fix this with software.  It's the weekend so hopefully sometime this week they get back to us.
2018-9-16
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.3
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-9-10 06:37
Hiya Lib,

While I agree that many of our symptoms are different, the bottom line is, connect the USB-C cable to our GH5 or GH5s and the gimbal doesn't operate as expected.  I have similar issues to what you showed in your video too.  My pan will sometimes quit panning and acts as if I am holding the trigger down (meaning that the pan doesn't pan, no matter which way I move the gimbal, the lens points forward (exactly as if holding down the trigger), then it will randomly snap into place.  I also have additional issues (like Gafka mentioned) where the gimbal will start moving wildly all over the place giving my camera a ride).  I should try the 4k 60p thing I guess, to see if mine exhibits the same problem.

Mabou2 you are describing more or less the exact same issue at the rest of the group.

When you say "The pan looses pan and its as if you are holding down the trigger"

In my experience when this loss of orientation occurs the gimbal looses control of all three axises! Most the time the camera ends up flipping upside down!
Note: Gimbal is perfectly balanced on all axises "excellent" for all three

The gimbal freaking out and taking the camera for a ride is the exact same issue as the motors loosing orientation.

If you pay attention when the camera is going on the wild ride you will notice the motors loosing orientation and becoming unresponsive before hand. When the motors regain orientation thats when  after a somewhat violent reorientation everything will either be totally fine or the Ronin S will take your camera and lens on a wild ride possible damaging your camera rig and anything else in the Ronins way.

I'm my experience through testing, I have been able to replicate the bug almost 100% of the time so long as I am filming in 4k 60 and the USB type C cable is plugged in also make sure you are shooting with a GH5 on firmware version 2.3. Anyone trying to replicate the bug should follow the same steps.
2018-9-17
Use props
russkn87
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430039 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I shot a wedding on Friday for about 12 hours - I was using the Ronin-S for about 11 hours on that day with my GH5. I experienced the issue about 10 times, having to reboot after it loses connection and then goes into a wild spin and crashing about. A total nightmare. I know the fix might be to unplug the USB-C cable, but I need it for focusing!
2018-9-18
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
  • >>>
Israel

Gafka Posted at 2018-9-15 15:47
Everytime the ronin is connected to the GH5, it can be reproduced. The steps to reproduce it are detailed in the first post.
So far, the only response from DJI has been to state that they have been unable to reproduce the issue.
Also, they haven’t been responding to our messages for the last few days. I’m not sure how to interpret this, but I’m guessing is not good news for us.

This reminds me the tine my Phantom 4 sat on the desk for 6 months because of a bad firmware. Only difference is that this time the product is new and haven't been used yet.
I'll not put my gh5s on this stallion because I know no one will not help me if the camera gets damaged. I'm very sorry to have it again with a dji product...
2018-9-19
Use props
Gafka
lvl.2
Spain

I don’t understand how DJI has left us on our own on this one.
This really needs to escalate. Mindy hasn’t replied in a week or so. Their strategy seems to be just ignoring us, we need to spread the word.
2018-9-19
Use props
fans8e670604
lvl.2
Italy

hello everyone, I had the same problem with my roninS, but I had it with a sony a7sii with RSS-IR cable, for two afternoons of work my roninS gave me this problem turning madly to reset without me touch her.
I thought that my roninS was faulty, but from what I read here is a firmware problem, the thing that scares me is that everyone here has had the problem with the gh5, but strangely I had it with Sony A7SII.
Has anyone else got sony a7sii this problem?
2018-9-19
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.3
United States

fans8e670604 Posted at 2018-9-19 13:45
hello everyone, I had the same problem with my roninS, but I had it with a sony a7sii with RSS-IR cable, for two afternoons of work my roninS gave me this problem turning madly to reset without me touch her.
I thought that my roninS was faulty, but from what I read here is a firmware problem, the thing that scares me is that everyone here has had the problem with the gh5, but strangely I had it with Sony A7SII.
Has anyone else got sony a7sii this problem?

Wow, so this problem is pretty widespread and clearly looks like DJI has to step up to the plate and fix their problem.

PLEASE create a brand new thread because nobody from DJI has responded in this one in over a week! Please put A7sII in the title also so other A7sII users can find the thread better.
2018-9-19
Use props
LAStory
lvl.2
United States

I'm curious to know, since I returned mine.  Have any of you loaded the new firmware and re-tested the gimbal?  Is there any improvement?  I imagine DJI is hyper-focused on launching Sony support right now, because it is a considerably larger market.
2018-9-21
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.3
United States

LAStory Posted at 2018-9-21 13:38
I'm curious to know, since I returned mine.  Have any of you loaded the new firmware and re-tested the gimbal?  Is there any improvement?  I imagine DJI is hyper-focused on launching Sony support right now, because it is a considerably larger market.

Unfortunately firmware v 1.5.0.40 made no change to the behavior.
2018-9-21
Use props
Andy Mihail
lvl.2

We're they able to replicate the issue at DJi? Any comunication from DJi would be good.
2018-9-22
Use props
Gafka
lvl.2
Spain

Andy Mihail Posted at 2018-9-22 19:57
We're they able to replicate the issue at DJi? Any comunication from DJi would be good.

Good luck with that. Seems like DJI is just going to ignore us. Last update was that they weren’t able to reproduce the issue and that was over a week ago.
2018-9-23
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
  • >>>
Israel

So all of you gh5 users using it without connecting the cable for now?
2018-9-25
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.3
United States

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2018-9-25 00:29
So all of you gh5 users using it without connecting the cable for now?

That is correct, still waiting on DJI here.
2018-9-28
Use props
Wisdom Tooth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535308 ft
  • >>>
United States

Over a month and still no fix? This is scary for me as I have a GH5 on the way to use with my Ronin-S. Can anyone confirm if this happens when you use the record button on the camera, while still being tethered?
Kinda need the focusing feature.
2018-10-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi all, sorry for my late response because of the Chinese National Day holiday, the issue you reported still wasn't replicated, if you still have the same issue, it is recommended to send in for further test when you are available, thank you.
2018-10-9
Use props
LAStory
lvl.2
United States

You have had one in your LA office that I returned a month ago.  That unit was exhibiting the issue constantly when paired with a GH5 and Lumix 12-35.  The fact that so many have reported the issue and you have not been able to replicate it a single time seems greatly unlikely.
2018-10-9
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.3
United States

LAStory Posted at 2018-10-9 11:14
You have had one in your LA office that I returned a month ago.  That unit was constantly exhibiting the issue constantly when paired with a GH5 and Lumix 12-35.  The fact that so many have reported the issue and you have not been able to replicate it a single time seems greatly unlikely.

I agree with LAStory, DJIs reaction to this whole situation is humorous at best. This is really discouraging since this was my first DJI purchase.

Why can't the engineers replicate the problem on the unit that was exhibiting the issue consistently? that sounds super sketchy on DJIs part after experiencing how consistant the problem is.

Send my unit in? Did LAStory receive a new unit which doesn't exhibit the problem yet? otherwise why would I waste my time shipping this thing across the globe.
2018-10-10
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 321519 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-9 04:02
Hi all, sorry for my late response because of the Chinese National Day holiday, the issue you reported still wasn't replicated, if you still have the same issue, it is recommended to send in for further test when you are available, thank you.

I love my Ronin-s and enjoy using it, with that said, I must admit I've been experiencing the same issues as reported in this thread and other threads like it both here and in the official DJI group on Facebook. I was hoping the issue would be addressed with a future Firmware update but it's looking less and less likely. Perhaps it is a hardware issue? I'm going to be contacting DJI support tomorrow in hopes of sending my unit in for evaluation.

When it's not connected to the camera the unit performs perfectly, but something about connecting it to the GH5/s and using an HDMI cable to a monitor just causes the motors to stop working. I know the engineers say they cannot replicate the issue, but I can guarantee the issue replicating EVERY time I use my Ronin-s so that doesn't make sense. Maybe one of the units we send in can be used to diagnose the problem.

I hope this gets figured out sooner than later.
2018-10-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

LAStory Posted at 2018-10-9 11:14
You have had one in your LA office that I returned a month ago.  That unit was exhibiting the issue constantly when paired with a GH5 and Lumix 12-35.  The fact that so many have reported the issue and you have not been able to replicate it a single time seems greatly unlikely.

Hi LAStory, may I have the case number for more details? Thank you.
2018-10-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

bob_angie Posted at 2018-10-12 00:39
I love my Ronin-s and enjoy using it, with that said, I must admit I've been experiencing the same issues as reported in this thread and other threads like it both here and in the official DJI group on Facebook. I was hoping the issue would be addressed with a future Firmware update but it's looking less and less likely. Perhaps it is a hardware issue? I'm going to be contacting DJI support tomorrow in hopes of sending my unit in for evaluation.

When it's not connected to the camera the unit performs perfectly, but something about connecting it to the GH5/s and using an HDMI cable to a monitor just causes the motors to stop working. I know the engineers say they cannot replicate the issue, but I can guarantee the issue replicating EVERY time I use my Ronin-s so that doesn't make sense. Maybe one of the units we send in can be used to diagnose the problem.

Hi bob_angie, we have received the latest news from our engineers that the issue which the motor may not work with some external monitors attached has been replicated, we will get it optimized in the future firmware, sorry for the trouble caused and appreciate your patience.
2018-10-12
Use props
LAStory
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-12 22:36
Hi bob_angie, we have received the latest news from our engineers that the issue which the motor may not work with some external monitors attached has been replicated, we will get it optimized in the future firmware, sorry for the trouble caused and appreciate your patience.

My gimbal did not have an external monitor attached.  The issue happened frequently.  The bug is related to tethering and tether mode in the GH5.  It is my opinion that attaching an external monitor is not a factor in this problem.
2018-10-13
Use props
Wisdom Tooth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535308 ft
  • >>>
United States

LAStory Posted at 2018-10-13 15:21
My gimbal did not have an external monitor attached.  The issue happened frequently.  The bug is related to tethering and tether mode in the GH5.  It is my opinion that attaching an external monitor is not a factor in this problem.

Hopefully the two bugs are closely related enough that their fix will affect both issues...
2018-10-13
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-12 22:36

So again why haven't the engineers been able to replicate the issue on LAStorys Ronin-S? LAStory sent in a Ronin-S exhibiting the issue consistently. This is worrisome for all of us because of how consistent the behavoir is for the many now affected users.

LAStory wasn't using a monitor at all, neither was I, the OP of the thread.

2018-10-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

LAStory Posted at 2018-10-13 15:21

I understand, these are two different things, we are still testing the losing orientation in high frequency, you mentioned the device has been sent in a month ago, may I have the case number for more details? Thank you.
2018-10-15
Use props
LAStory
lvl.2
United States

CAS-2183933-D1M5S6
2018-10-16
Use props
Inceptionator
lvl.1
Flight distance : 451949 ft
Australia

All of of the Serious issues using a GHD5s everyone mention happened to me today, brand new Ronin s and a GH5s. Motors freaked out and thrashed, random motors just Turn off, roll button randomly didn't work. All in front of the client. They were not impressed with the Ronin S. Serious issues by more and more users.
Shooting 4k 25fps , not 50 or 60 ,so its not the frame rate.

***BE AWARE PEOPLE - PANASONIC GHD5s HAS MAJOR ISSUES WITH THE RONIN S . BOTTOM LINE, DON'T BUY ONE UNLESS YOU WANT YOUR LENS TO GET SMASHED WHEN THE MOTORS RANDOMLY FREAK AND THRASH OUT. (lets hope DJi fix this terrible issue...ontop of all the other Ronin s camera non - compatibility issues.
2018-10-18
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules