Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin-S bug, keeps losing orientation after recording ends...
11273 101 2018-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc6db68d0
lvl.1
United States

Chiming in with the same issues and would love to know a solution. I am 2 for 2  as I own two Ronin-s’ and several GH5 & Gh5s’. Both Ronin’s will lose orientation within about 10 minutes when using a SmallHD Focus monitor and the MCC cable plugged in. Shooting 4K 60. DJI, please advise! And before you ask, yes, it is perfectly balanced, auto tuned and everything is running the latest firmwares.
2018-10-19
Use props
Gafka
lvl.3
Spain

fansc6db68d0 Posted at 2018-10-19 06:31
Chiming in with the same issues and would love to know a solution. I am 2 for 2  as I own two Ronin-s’ and several GH5 & Gh5s’. Both Ronin’s will lose orientation within about 10 minutes when using a SmallHD Focus monitor and the MCC cable plugged in. Shooting 4K 60. DJI, please advise! And before you ask, yes, it is perfectly balanced, auto tuned and everything is running the latest firmwares.

De you experience any issue when just using the gh5s and the Ronin?
The other gh5s user who reported problems said the Ronin and the gh5s alone worked perfectly (which does not seem to be the case with the gh5) and that it was  necessary to add the monitor to the mix in order to make the issue appear.  
2018-10-19
Use props
Wisdom Tooth
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535308 ft
  • >>>
United States

If only there was a viable external focus motor system available, it would solve a lot of problems. It's not that big of a deal to start//stop record using the on-camera buttons, but focusing is a different story.
2018-10-19
Use props
fansc6db68d0
lvl.1
United States

Without the SmallHD plugged in the GH5s works fine. I’ve not actually tried a GH5 without the monitor yet. So odd that for me this issue happens around 5-10 minutes into shooting. No specific movement is done. Very random stoppage of motors.
2018-10-20
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

fansc6db68d0 Posted at 2018-10-20 04:15
Without the SmallHD plugged in the GH5s works fine. I’ve not actually tried a GH5 without the monitor yet. So odd that for me this issue happens around 5-10 minutes into shooting. No specific movement is done. Very random stoppage of motors.

Try that GH5 out, make sure to try the 60p thing while plugged in with the type c cable too and report back if you can.

Thanks man
2018-10-20
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 321519 ft
United States

Librebowski Posted at 2018-10-15 00:19
So again why haven't the engineers been able to replicate the issue on LAStorys Ronin-S? LAStory sent in a Ronin-S exhibiting the issue consistently. This is worrisome for all of us because of how consistent the behavoir is for the many now affected users.

LAStory wasn't using a monitor at all, neither was I, the OP of the thread.

You're saying your motors pause frequently without a monitor attached? That's strange indeed.

When using the GH5s, connected to the Ronin-S (tether(pc) mode) I experience ZERO issues, the gimbal controls the camera perfectly, Focus, Start/Stop, Video Playback. I just used this setup on a shoot for over 3 hours without issue. ONLY when I plug in a monitor via HDMI while using the GH5s connected to the Ronin-S does the motor pause issue appear. I've only seen the motor freakout once, which seems to happen if you leave the USB-C cable connected after the motors pause, after a minute the motors will reactivate and freakout. I didn't need to see that multiple times to avoid it. Whenever the motors pause now I just restart the Ronin-S and it goes back to normal, until the motors pause again.

I wasn't aware there was an issue without an external monitor, that does not sound fun. I really hope this issue is solved sooner than later. I love the Ronin-S + GH5s combo, I just bought the DC power adapter to power the camera through the Ronin-S, it's going to make long shoots a breeze. It's almost a perfect setup, if they can just figure out these issues.
2018-10-20
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

bob_angie Posted at 2018-10-20 12:38
You're saying your motors pause frequently without a monitor attached? That's strange indeed.

When using the GH5s, connected to the Ronin-S (tether(pc) mode) I experience ZERO issues, the gimbal controls the camera perfectly, Focus, Start/Stop, Video Playback. I just used this setup on a shoot for over 3 hours without issue. ONLY when I plug in a monitor via HDMI while using the GH5s connected to the Ronin-S does the motor pause issue appear. I've only seen the motor freakout once, which seems to happen if you leave the USB-C cable connected after the motors pause, after a minute the motors will reactivate and freakout. I didn't need to see that multiple times to avoid it. Whenever the motors pause now I just restart the Ronin-S and it goes back to normal, until the motors pause again.

I didn't say that happens to my unit however after seeing the behavior my unit exhibits I beleive fansc6db68d0 is being honest...

Issue is consistent for 4k60p in tethered mode on GH5 for me and many others in this thread, not to be a jerk but read the whole thread. I do not own a GH5s, I own a GH5.

as a summery: The GH5 doesn't need a monitor plugged in to freak out. On the GH5 all you need to do is be in tether mode USB type C plugged in and be shooting in 4k60p or 4k50p

the GH5s: DOES need a monitor plugged in to initiate the freak out.

2018-10-21
Use props
Jesaul
lvl.4
Netherlands

Librebowski Posted at 2018-10-21 02:06
I didn't say that happens to my unit however after seeing the behavior my unit exhibits I beleive fansc6db68d0 is being honest...

I have gh5s with monitor plugged in Tethering mode.
I do 4k 24p. And the motors just stop working every 10-30 minutes. Sometimes they drop after turning off recording.
2018-10-21
Use props
fansc6db68d0
lvl.1
United States

I can confirm that my GH5 also has issues when using the MCC cable. As the original poster stated, when in 4K 60p, there is a strange brief loss of motor control right after stopping recording (1-3 seconds after) and if the gimbal is turned during this time the gimbal will abruptly center itself. Can’t be good for the motors.

The biggest concern for me is not being able to use the GH5 or GH5s with a SmallHD monitor. Can anyone at DJI shed any light on why? All firmware is up-to-date.
2018-10-22
Use props
russkn87
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430039 ft
  • >>>

My second wedding with the Robin-S & GH5 (and external monitor). Setting up my FIRST shot of the day, the gimbal lost connection and went limp after 5 minutes or so. The LED on the focus wheel turned red, and the gimbal is no longer able to control the camera (start stop record, focus etc). The gimbal goes a bit limp and has to be rebooted. This then reoccurred about 4-5 times over the course of the day. Twice at important moments during a wedding. What’s even more annoying is that during the reboot, the gimbal made the startup tone which was then picked up by my external audio recorder so now I’ve got that sound in my wedding vow audio! Not good. This has such potential but is making me look unprofessional.
2018-10-22
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.4
United States

russkn87 Posted at 2018-10-22 13:54
My second wedding with the Robin-S & GH5 (and external monitor). Setting up my FIRST shot of the day, the gimbal lost connection and went limp after 5 minutes or so. The LED on the focus wheel turned red, and the gimbal is no longer able to control the camera (start stop record, focus etc). The gimbal goes a bit limp and has to be rebooted. This then reoccurred about 4-5 times over the course of the day. Twice at important moments during a wedding. What’s even more annoying is that during the reboot, the gimbal made the startup tone which was then picked up by my external audio recorder so now I’ve got that sound in my wedding vow audio! Not good. This has such potential but is making me look unprofessional.

A DJI engineer from the official facebook group has confirmed they are finalizing a firmware that addresses and fixes this issue. It will be behind us soon brother, let's just wait it out.

2018-10-23
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.4
United States

Jesaul Posted at 2018-10-21 23:06
I have gh5s with monitor plugged in Tethering mode.
I do 4k 24p. And the motors just stop working every 10-30 minutes. Sometimes they drop after turning off recording.

This issue is being addressed and will be solved soon good sir, we just need to wait it out.

2018-10-23
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.4
United States

Librebowski Posted at 2018-10-21 02:06

My comment asked a question to clarify, I did read the thread, and I really misunderstood what was going on.

Be aware there is a youtube video about the motor pause issue when using an external monitor that is linking this thread when this thread is about something completely different.

I haven't heard anyone talking about the issue you're having on the Facebook groups, and haven't really seen much about it, admittedly I'm not looking for it, as you're correct I do not own a GH5.

On one of my posts, a DJI engineer commented on the issue GH5s users are having with an external monitor and claims they're working on a firmware that fixes the issue. Hopefully, this also addresses your issue seeing as it's a Panasonic camera in tether(pc) mode.

Has DJI commented on your issue directly? What did they say when you contacted them?

2018-10-23
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

bob_angie Posted at 2018-10-23 01:20
My comment asked a question to clarify, I did read the thread, and I really misunderstood what was going on.

Be aware there is a youtube video about the motor pause issue when using an external monitor that is linking this thread when this thread is about something completely different.

The youtube video in question is actually about the GH5 with no monitor attached. I think I accidently used one clip of a GH5s for 3 seconds with a monitor attatched but the rest were pure raw dog GH5 with no monitor. This entire thread is mainly about the GH5 and the USB type C cable, 4k60p/4k50p, orientation bug with no monitor attached

I created the thread and the video after this thread got hijacked by everyone with a GH5s and monitors attached and the main issue was getting no coverage despite every other comment on this thread is a user of the GH5 (no monitor attached).  

Early on we had no idea that these were separate bugs and realistically WE STILL DON'T KNOW.

Another user in the thread, LAstory sent his unit that exhibited the issue (using a GH5, without the monitor) over 6 weeks ago. Last update I heard DJI is failing to replicate the issue/locate LAStorys unit.
2018-10-23
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

bob_angie Posted at 2018-10-23 01:20

Just to keep everyone in the loop.

Yesterday a user in the facebook group suggested to try a different SD card. The only SD card I had was an old UHS-1 Sandisk extreme I used to use in my GH4 so I gave that card a try. After I formatted the card (obviously) I popped it in the GH5 and started filming in 4k60p, to my surprise the problem was 99% gone.

Keep in mind that this is not a solution to use a UHS-I card in a camera that realistically needs UHS-II v90 in order to use the full features.

So far the list of cards that make the Ronin-S throw the loss of orientation bug are as follows:

Delkin Devices, Power 32GB/64GB.

*Delkin devices Power works fine now. /1/15/2019

Sony SDXC UHS-II

If you have this problem with the GH5 plugged in with the USB type-c cable, filming in 4k60p PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help us all out by telling us what SD Card you are using.

Thanks everyone.
2018-10-25
Use props
bob_angie
lvl.4
United States

Librebowski Posted at 2018-10-25 11:37
Just to keep everyone in the loop.

Yesterday a user in the facebook group suggested to try a different SD card. The only SD card I had was an old UHS-1 Sandisk extreme I used to use in my GH4 so I gave that card a try. After I formatted the card (obviously) I popped it in the GH5 and started filming in 4k60p, to my surprise the problem was 99% gone.

Now that I understand what's going on, this must suck for sure. I understand now that your bug is completely different. I'm also noticing a weird trend of people commenting on posts related to the other bug, and it makes it confusing to understand exactly which bug individual users are experiencing (my comment on this thread included). I have seen official DJI responses to the GH5s + monitor motor pause bug, but I haven't seen a single official response regarding the GH5 bug. I wonder why? Have you tried calling DJI support directly? Also, it would be nice to see followup responses to people who've actually sent their Ronin-S in for repairs. I know the process takes 2 weeks and I couldn't be without the gimbal for that long so I opted to not send mine in. Only to find DJI officially respond to my bug and claim a solution is in the works with a firmware update so I felt slightly vindicated and glad I didn't send in the device.

It may be of little use, but I'm currently trying to find a workaround. DJI made a start/stop cable for Panasonic cameras for the Ronin MX and it has the same port as the camera control cables for the Ronin-S. The cable will only control the start/stop record function but since it's connected to the remote port on the right side of the GH5 and GH5s it should bypass the issues we're facing in tether(pc) mode. Theoretically, when DJI releases its external focus motor, the start/stop function on the camera is really all we need the Ronin-S to do anyway. So this might actually be the better cable for us to use. This cable will also allow us to retain the use of the LCD screen on the camera AND an external monitor as well, which currently the LCD goes black due to tether(pc) mode and the camera only allowing for 2 video feeds.

I believe the cable was originally created for the GH4 but seeing as the GH4 and 5 and 5/s all use the same shutter control port this cable should work perfectly with our cameras. My cable is arriving Monday so I haven't had the chance to test any of this out, but I intend to film a video and post the results around once I get it all working.

The preferable situation is our bugs are fixed in a future firmware update, but I'll take controlling the camera through the gimbal and losing the focus control over no external monitor, plus the silver lining is now I'll get to keep the screen on the camera on.

I'll follow up when I get it working, hopefully, you get an official response from DJI soon.
2018-10-27
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

bob_angie Posted at 2018-10-27 00:09
Now that I understand what's going on, this must suck for sure. I understand now that your bug is completely different. I'm also noticing a weird trend of people commenting on posts related to the other bug, and it makes it confusing to understand exactly which bug individual users are experiencing (my comment on this thread included). I have seen official DJI responses to the GH5s + monitor motor pause bug, but I haven't seen a single official response regarding the GH5 bug. I wonder why? Have you tried calling DJI support directly? Also, it would be nice to see followup responses to people who've actually sent their Ronin-S in for repairs. I know the process takes 2 weeks and I couldn't be without the gimbal for that long so I opted to not send mine in. Only to find DJI officially respond to my bug and claim a solution is in the works with a firmware update so I felt slightly vindicated and glad I didn't send in the device.

It may be of little use, but I'm currently trying to find a workaround. DJI made a start/stop cable for Panasonic cameras for the Ronin MX and it has the same port as the camera control cables for the Ronin-S. The cable will only control the start/stop record function but since it's connected to the remote port on the right side of the GH5 and GH5s it should bypass the issues we're facing in tether(pc) mode. Theoretically, when DJI releases its external focus motor, the start/stop function on the camera is really all we need the Ronin-S to do anyway. So this might actually be the better cable for us to use. This cable will also allow us to retain the use of the LCD screen on the camera AND an external monitor as well, which currently the LCD goes black due to tether(pc) mode and the camera only allowing for 2 video feeds.

Great suggestion I thought of using that cable too, I just don't have one, please try that and report back! I'm not sure if you noticed what I previously posted but changing SD cards solves the problem. Besides we do need the focus motor working as this is a main feature.

What SD Cards that are v60/v90 will not give me issues when combined with the Ronin-S and the GH5?

What SD Cards did the engineers use when testing?

2018-10-27
Use props
Usti Thapa
New

Nepal

Hi. Iam very confused with ronins because after balance setup when i tirn on the button the camera move by itself and sometime ronins vibrate and move camera up and down and rotate slowly.. how can i fix this??i use canon 5dsr.. i will be thankfull  for the solution ..
2018-11-18
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

Usti Thapa Posted at 11-18 11:51
Hi. Iam very confused with ronins because after balance setup when i tirn on the button the camera move by itself and sometime ronins vibrate and move camera up and down and rotate slowly.. how can i fix this??i use canon 5dsr.. i will be thankfull  for the solution ..

You need to create a new thread and ask again. Your comment was completely unrelated, *this thread is about the Ronin-s going into a complete wig-out when paired with a large number of specific SD-cards while filming 4k60 fps on the GH5.*

You don't even have a GH5.

*Update for GH5 users:* Some SD cards display the behavior and some do not.

Please comment SD card make and model so users in the future can decide on good SD card choices.

Thanks
2018-11-18
Use props
fansa5c7ae08
lvl.1
Switzerland

Hi Guys,

Iam a new owner of that setup gh5 and ronin s.
I would be more than happy to help find the problem and try different sd cards.
But before that i just wanted to ask what's the best and safest way to stop those rapid movements when it happens.

Chris
2019-1-15
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

fansa5c7ae08 Posted at 1-15 17:25
Hi Guys,

Iam a new owner of that setup gh5 and ronin s.

Problem was already solved with new firmware back in November. Delkin Devices Power v90 card and my Delkin Devices Black card work perfectly fine. No more orientation loss or freaking out ronin-s. Everything is all good now

As for best pratices just don't lower Ronin-S from the sides. Always move back to front when lowering, thats about it really. The Ronin-S is working very well for me now. No thanks to DJIs customer support system. seemns bogus to me, I received no messages from real humans at DJI even after buying a 700$ product dirrectly from them.

I would like to thank DJIs engeneers who took full responsibility for their bug and reacted in a somewhat timely manner.

2019-1-15
Use props
angelofoto69
New

Italy

Hi everyone i m Angelo form Rome Italy i have ronin s and i use a sony camcorder on it fdr ax700 i don t use rec botton , setting  test excelent at all, and some seconds after use the ronin s lost orientation very violently. i update firmware but it repeat bug. What can i do?
thanks
2019-6-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules