Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Ronin-S bug, keeps losing orientation after recording ends...
123Next >
11275 101 2018-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

The Ronin S motors seem to temporarily malfunction after recording ends. When the camera stops writing to the SD Card the motors re-gain control the Ronin S re-centers (sorta violently I might add)

I currently have my settings on the Ronin app saying: Yaw = excellent - Pitch = excellent - Roll = excellent.

I have tried auto-tune and system calibration to no avail. on the Ronin-S and GH5, I am on the most current firmware, however I have tried them all and the issue persists.

UPDATE: September/21/2018
*users with GH5, GH5s, GH4 and Sony A7SII have all reported similar issues.
*THIS THREAD IS ABOUT THE GH5 and Ronin-S

To reproduce the loss of control of the motors please preform the following:

#1 plug in supplied USB type C cable to GH5 with firmware v 2.3.

#2 switch camera into 4k 60p (not 4k60 in VFR mode)

#3 Hit record and use the Ronin S as normal, when you hit the record button again to stop the recording, make sure to start turning the gimbal after and you will notice something something strange under certain conditions.

I have heard it described as the motors stalling or loosing orientation momentarily but if you stay perfectly still and keep the camera 100% level for about 12 seconds after the clip ends you will not have a problem but if you move anywhere from the point the original clip ended you might have a problem.

*Might take a few tries to show behavior

(I tried them all, all other camera modes work fine just 4k60 on the GH5 consistently shows the issue with the Ronin and supplied USB type C cable)

if your Ronin is anything like the mine and the other posters in my thread you will notice the issue right away.

*After the recording ends the Ronin will lose orientation for about 12 seconds.

*When the Ronin regains orientation its very violent and could cause damage to your camera and lens.

Screenshot_Ronin_20180906-182245.png
2018-9-6
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

Ok, I uploaded a video to help diagnose the issue.

Camera being balanced is the GH5 I am using the USB type c connection for record buttion functionality but using a manual lens.

2018-9-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi Librebowski, sorry for the troubles during the operation, may I have your current firmware version? Does the issue persist all the time or it happens after the firmware upgrade?
2018-9-6
Use props
Gafka
lvl.3
Spain

I’m having this exact problem with a GH5. It also went nuts and started to spin like crazy during a shooting the other day. But I’ve discovered it only occurs when the Ronin is connected to the GH5 so maybe it’s firmware related. I’ve tried 1.3.0.20 (July) and 1.4.0.30 (August), and both of them had the standby bug while the crazy spinning only happened in the latest, although it could be unrelated.
2018-9-7
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

Yes I am on the current firmware (1.4.0.30) I have tried all previous firmware version and the issue occurs under all of them.

Yes the issue persists all the time but I discovered something interesting...

Last night I made a discovery that indicates the Issue will only occur while filming in 4K 60 on the GH5. - I tried all other video modes and none of them displayed this behavior.

- Anyone else using a GH5 on a Ronin S can confirm these findings? Thanks

I literally bought the Ronin S because of its compatibility with this Camera model.
2018-9-7
Use props
Gafka
lvl.3
Spain

Librebowski Posted at 2018-9-7 03:26
Yes I am on the current firmware. I have tried all previous firmware version and the issue occurs under all of them.

Yes the issue persists all the time but I discovered something interesting...

I can confirm everything but the 4K 60 statement since I experienced these issues when recording 4K 50. So downgrading did not solve the issue for you?
2018-9-7
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

Gafka Posted at 2018-9-7 04:54
I can confirm everything but the 4K 60 statement since I experienced these issues when recording 4K 50. So downgrading did not solve the issue for you?

No downgrading doesn't change a thing. I can confirm that 4k 50p AND 4k 60p Both have this issue.
- Edit: just ran tests in both 4k 50p and 4k 60p the issue is obvious under both system frequencys.
2018-9-7
Use props
Gafka
lvl.3
Spain

Librebowski Posted at 2018-9-7 04:57
No downgrading doesn't change a thing. I can confirm that 4k 50p AND 4k 60p Both have this issue.
- Edit: just ran tests in both 4k 50p and 4k 60p the issue is obvious under both system frequencys.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I have the obnoxious 1 post per hour limit.
Can you confirm that it is isolated to 4K 50 and 4K 60? This seems to be related to the camera-gimbal link. Almost everyone that I saw are experiencing this issue also own a GH5/s. Quite disappointing since I thought this gimbal was developed with the GH5/s in mind.
I don’t understand how there is no response from the forum admin. Anyway, thanks for your input.
2018-9-7
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

Gafka Posted at 2018-9-7 05:56
Can you confirm that it is isolated to 4K 50 and 4K 60? This seems to be related to the camera-gimbal link. Almost everyone that I saw are experiencing this issue also own a GH5/s. Quite disappointing since I thought this gimbal was developed with the GH5/s in mind.
I don’t understand how there is no response from the forum admin. Anyway, thanks for your input.

Thank you, I can confirm the problem while using the GH5. I do not have a GH5s to test but as you previously mentioned yours displays this same behavior.

I can also confirm this behavior only occurs under 4k 60p and also 4k 50p.

I have tried all other video modes including VFR (180 fps) as well as 1080p 10 bit 60p 200mbs and both work perfectly. - 4k60 and 4k50 are the only ways to reproduce this behavior.

When I unplug the USB type c connection and just push the record button with my finger the problem 100% goes away.

2018-9-7
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-6 23:39
Hi Librebowski, sorry for the troubles during the operation, may I have your current firmware version? Does the issue persist all the time or it happens after the firmware upgrade?

Mindy is everything ok? I haven't heard a response. smooth 4k 60 is the reason I bought the Ronin S.

I hope someone is looking into this issue.
2018-9-7
Use props
Gafka
lvl.3
Spain

Librebowski Posted at 2018-9-7 06:08
Thank you, I can confirm the problem while using the GH5. I do not have a GH5s to test but as you previously mentioned yours displays this same behavior.

I can also confirm this behavior only occurs under 4k 60p and also 4k 50p.

Then this is not an isolated issue of my unit (which I thought until today). The way you described it is exactly as I suffer it.
I’m really concern about using the gimbal before a fix is found because of the crazy spinning thing and the possibility of the camera being damaged.
I really hope we get a reply from DJI. With the amount of info we provided here and that other users did on other posts there should be enough info to figure this out.
2018-9-7
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

Gafka Posted at 2018-9-7 07:40
Then this is not an isolated issue of my unit (which I thought until today). The way you described it is exactly as I suffer it.
I’m really concern about using the gimbal before a fix is found because of the crazy spinning thing and the possibility of the camera being damaged.
I really hope we get a reply from DJI. With the amount of info we provided here and that other users did on other posts there should be enough info to figure this out.

I hope they are just not responding because of a timezone difference. Or maybe the problem is being looked at by the engineers already.

Either way I really hope this gets solved, the Ronin S shows great potential!
2018-9-7
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi there,
Well, I posted a similar thread the other day.  See the video I posted.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 9&page=1#pid1557268

Today, I suffered humiliation while shooting for a client.  I thought my gimbal was ok.  After hours of practicing yesterday without an issue, I took it on to set today.  It didn't go well.  The client, crew, and actor all stood around waiting while i tried to solve various problems with the Ronin s.  Absolutely humiliating.  The Ronin beat my camera up at one point as it spun wildly out of control.  Seriously bent the USB C cable end, and probably gave my camera a hit too.
2018-9-7
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-9-7 10:06
Hi there,
Well, I posted a similar thread the other day.  See the video I posted.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 9&page=1#pid1557268

So do you think that the Ronin S went crazy because of the monitor? I bet you just happend to be using a monitor. - I'll bet you were filming in 4k 60 while it happened? Thanks for the replys Mabou2 and Gafka its good to know I am not alone here!
2018-9-7
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hi Lib,  I had originally believed it was monitor related, my guess was because of a power draw from the camera (after connecting the HDMI) that left the Ronin with not enough juice from the USB c.  I was only seeing the problem when I had connected my 5.7" Lilliput monitor.  100% repeatable.  When I would connect my 7"Small HD monitor, no problems at all.  I repeated the tests at least 15 times and 100% repeatable.  So I took the Ronin on a shoot today with the 7" Small HD, but the Ronin acted up worse than I had ever seen before and there were a slew of problems (as I have mentioned in other threads).  The worst being when the gimbal freaked out and beat my camera up HARD, bending the USB C connector.  SOME of the problems occurred with NO MONITOR connected (I eventually removed all monitor connections to try to get through the shoot) and after a fresh reboot of the gimbal.

I WISH that i had been shooting 4k 60P so we could see something that made sense.  Here is what I was shooting:
4K (3840 x 2160) 29.97P Long GOP, 150Mbps 422/10bit
THAT SAID, yesterday (after the monitor-related problems) I updated the firmware to the latest.  So the problems I saw today might have been related to the 1.4.30 update.
2018-9-7
Use props
Gafka
lvl.3
Spain

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-9-7 10:59
Hi Lib,  I had originally believed it was monitor related, my guess was because of a power draw from the camera (after connecting the HDMI) that left the Ronin with not enough juice from the USB c.  I was only seeing the problem when I had connected my 5.7" Lilliput monitor.  100% repeatable.  When I would connect my 7"Small HD monitor, no problems at all.  I repeated the tests at least 15 times and 100% repeatable.  So I took the Ronin on a shoot today with the 7" Small HD, but the Ronin acted up worse than I had ever seen before and there were a slew of problems (as I have mentioned in other threads).  The worst being when the gimbal freaked out and beat my camera up HARD, bending the USB C connector.  SOME of the problems occurred with NO MONITOR connected (I eventually removed all monitor connections to try to get through the shoot) and after a fresh reboot of the gimbal.

I WISH that i had been shooting 4k 60P so we could see something that made sense.  Here is what I was shooting:

I’m glad that we all three are here. I’m really sorry for you, that was one of my biggest fears, makes you look totally unprofessional even though it’s not your fault at all. I feel you.
I wish we could attract as much attention as posible because at the moment DJI doesn’t seem to bother too much about this.
2018-9-7
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Gafka Posted at 2018-9-7 11:17
I’m glad that we all three are here. I’m really sorry for you, that was one of my biggest fears, makes you look totally unprofessional even though it’s not your fault at all. I feel you.
I wish we could attract as much attention as posible because at the moment DJI doesn’t seem to bother too much about this.

Thanks Gafka,  Indeed, I hope more GH5 people find their way to this forum and document their issues.  I'm a bit tired of being on the bleeding edge with DJI.  The Phantom 4 forums are literally full of posts about firmware issues grounding their drones.  I personally had a firmware update that grounded my Phantom 4 for 7 months until they finally fixed the problem with new firmware.
2018-9-7
Use props
Gafka
lvl.3
Spain

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-9-7 11:20
Thanks Gafka,  Indeed, I hope more GH5 people find their way to this forum and document their issues.  I'm a bit tired of being on the bleeding edge with DJI.  The Phantom 4 forums are literally full of posts about firmware issues grounding their drones.  I personally had a firmware update that grounded my Phantom 4 for 7 months until they finally fixed the problem with new firmware.

Actually, I was thinking about posting this thread on the GH5’s subreddit to get more traffic.
2018-9-7
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

Gafka Posted at 2018-9-7 13:08
Actually, I was thinking about posting this thread on the GH5’s subreddit to get more traffic.

My Ronin S and Camera just flopped outta control again because of this damn 4k 60 bug!!! For now I'm gonna disconnect the USB C cable and just press the record button on the camera because the issue seems to not persist without the USB C cable connected record button on the Ronin S.

This is an interesting and frustrating issue, honestly I bought the GH5 and Ronin S because I wanted Smooth gimbal shots at 4k 60p.

If the Ronin wigs out again I'm gonna have to bench it till DJI can tell me whats going on.
2018-9-7
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Librebowski Posted at 2018-9-7 13:53
My Ronin S and Camera just flopped outta control again because of this damn 4k 60 bug!!! For now I'm gonna disconnect the USB C cable and just press the record button on the camera because the issue seems to not persist without the USB C cable connected record button on the Ronin S.

This is an interesting and frustrating issue, honestly I bought the GH5 and Ronin S because I wanted Smooth gimbal shots at 4k 60p.

Hi Lib,  do you have an external monitor connected?
2018-9-7
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-9-7 13:56
Hi Lib,  do you have an external monitor connected?

No, no external monitor here. Just rollin with a body and lens.

2018-9-7
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

I just shot a few clips with the USB type c cable disconnected while shooting in 4k 60 and the issue was totally gone.

This is a temporary solution but it's a start to atleast get to use the Ronin S while shooting 4k 60 on the GH5/s. The GH5/GH5s seemed like the most compatible camera bodys with the Ronin S but I guess its not.
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Librebowski Posted at 2018-9-7 07:21
Mindy is everything ok? I haven't heard a response. smooth 4k 60 is the reason I bought the Ronin S.

I hope someone is looking into this issue.

Hi, sorry for the late response because of the time difference, the issue will be forwarded to our engineers for more tests, the update may be delayed because of the weekend, I will keep you updated as soon as possible.
2018-9-8
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-8 01:26
Hi, sorry for the late response because of the time difference, the issue will be forwarded to our engineers for more tests, the update may be delayed because of the weekend, I will keep you updated as soon as possible.

thank you Mindy! please keep us posted!
2018-9-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Gafka Posted at 2018-9-7 05:56

Gafka, sorry to know you have the same issue, we care much about your feedback, our engineers will test and verify, if there is any update, I will keep you posted, thanks for your patience.
2018-9-8
Use props
russkn87
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430039 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Help! Using my Ronin-S for the first time tonight at a party. Got 2 issues.
1.Firstly, it's a biggie - half way through shooting the Ronin becomes unresponsive to button presses and then all of a sudden goes into an uncontrollable spin, winding up my HDMI cable and freaking out until I turn it off then on again! Nightmare!
2. I notice when I pan with my GH5, the first split second of movement in the pan is very jerky, like the gimbal is 'holding' the first bit of movement. It looks awful! Is it to do with my deadband settings or...? IBIS is off in camera & lens.

Any help would be VERY much appreciated, as I've got a big wedding next week!
2018-9-8
Use props
Gafka
lvl.3
Spain

russkn87 Posted at 2018-9-8 23:42
Help! Using my Ronin-S for the first time tonight at a party. Got 2 issues.
1.Firstly, it's a biggie - half way through shooting the Ronin becomes unresponsive to button presses and then all of a sudden goes into an uncontrollable spin, winding up my HDMI cable and freaking out until I turn it off then on again! Nightmare!
2. I notice when I pan with my GH5, the first split second of movement in the pan is very jerky, like the gimbal is 'holding' the first bit of movement. It looks awful! Is it to do with my deadband settings or...? IBIS is off in camera & lens.

Hey, I’m so sorry you seem to be affected as well.
The quick solution would be to use the gimbal with the camera unplugged. When the gimbal and camera are not connected the issue seems to go away.
2018-9-9
Use props
Gafka
lvl.3
Spain

Guys, I forwarded this thread to support@dji.com explaining the issue. They seem to be looking at it. Fingers crossed.
B5D7BA46-EF99-4042-80D8-15FFD330A72F.jpeg
2018-9-9
Use props
fansc749c687
lvl.1

Hi folks. So far I only had a chance to use my Ronin S twice, but on two important shoots. Of course, I tried it beforehand, set it up, balanced it well (excellent results when checking balance in app). The Ronin S has the latest firmware that is available from DJI. The smoothtrack is set to the smoothest possible settings, the motors are set automatically based on the autotune option. I use a GH4 not a GH5 or 5s with the RSSP-T (or whatever it is called) with it only for the rec start/stop function.

Two issues that I have found:

Not sure when or how, but my Ronin S went crazy at some point, started spinning like crazy. Luckily I have the push pan/til turned on so I managed to stop it by hand. The other issue I seem to have is when doing a pan from left to right and at the end of the pan I also want the camera to point down slowly, the ronin stops, I mean it stops to follow the movement of my hand and after a while it makes a big jump. This happens every time, making the shots unusuable. Same happens when I do pans and want to ronin to follow my hand for a longer shot, it would stop and then make an immediate jump. Basically it feels like its not really doing what I am telling it to do....
2018-9-9
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

fansc749c687 Posted at 2018-9-9 03:42
Hi folks. So far I only had a chance to use my Ronin S twice, but on two important shoots. Of course, I tried it beforehand, set it up, balanced it well (excellent results when checking balance in app). The Ronin S has the latest firmware that is available from DJI. The smoothtrack is set to the smoothest possible settings, the motors are set automatically based on the autotune option. I use a GH4 not a GH5 or 5s with the RSSP-T (or whatever it is called) with it only for the rec start/stop function.

Two issues that I have found:

So you are having this same issue using the GH4 with the RSSP cable?
2018-9-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi all, we have tested the GH5S with the latest firmware, unfortunately, the issue didn't replicate, may I have the model of the lens you are using, the firmware version of the camera and the SD card model for further support? Thank you in advance.
2018-9-10
Use props
Gafka
lvl.3
Spain

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-10 01:37
Hi all, we have tested the GH5S with the latest firmware, unfortunately, the issue didn't replicate, may I have the model of the lens you are using, the firmware version of the camera and the SD card model for further support? Thank you in advance.

Lens is a Lumix 25mm F1.7 and the SD Card is a
Sony SF-G128/T1. GH5’s firmware is 2.3.
2018-9-10
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

Mindy, I am not on a GH5s, I am on a GH5.

This doesn't happen on the first go, you need to try it a few times.

I wish the engineers tried the GH5 firmware v2.3  because thats actually what I have and thats what the rest of the world is using on the GH5 because of the autofocus "fix"

Body: GH5 - firmware: v2.3
Lens: sigma 18-35mm + various manual lenses
sd-card: delkin 64gb v90
2018-9-10
Use props
fansc749c687
lvl.1

Librebowski Posted at 2018-9-9 05:03
So you are having this same issue using the GH4 with the RSSP cable?

Not the exact same issue, but when I do a pan from left to right then I start to move down, the pan stops for a while then jumps a few centimeters and then carries on. Then one time when I was doing a complex move, the Ronin started to do some strange moves like out of my control, and then it started to autotune itself automatically. And whatever settings I do in smoothtrack, I cannot get a smooth footage when walking. The image is shaky, especially on the horizontal level. And before the admin or anyone asks, everything is perfectly balanced, screws tightened, lens support attached and tightened.

I also have other DJI gimbals and non of them do this. They follow the movement of my hand smoothly. I cannot do that with the Ronin S. I might have a faulty one. I dont know.
2018-9-10
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

fansc749c687 Posted at 2018-9-10 03:01
Not the exact same issue, but when I do a pan from left to right then I start to move down, the pan stops for a while then jumps a few centimeters and then carries on. Then one time when I was doing a complex move, the Ronin started to do some strange moves like out of my control, and then it started to autotune itself automatically. And whatever settings I do in smoothtrack, I cannot get a smooth footage when walking. The image is shaky, especially on the horizontal level. And before the admin or anyone asks, everything is perfectly balanced, screws tightened, lens support attached and tightened.

I also have other DJI gimbals and non of them do this. They follow the movement of my hand smoothly. I cannot do that with the Ronin S. I might have a faulty one. I dont know.

Damn sorry to hear that your ronin is loosing orientation also, maybe we all have faulty units. judging by the shear amount of people with this issue I have personally spoken to on various other social media platforms with the same issue I would say this problem is wide spread.

Thus far 6 people in this thread have this orientation issue.

2018-9-10
Use props
Librebowski
lvl.4
United States

Mindy, can you please have them test with the GH5 on firmware v2.3 with the supplied usb type c cable plugged in.

I don't own a GH5s, I started the thread.
2018-9-10
Use props
Gafka
lvl.3
Spain

Librebowski Posted at 2018-9-10 03:34
Mindy, can you please have them test with the GH5 on firmware v2.3 with the supplied usb type c cable plugged in.

I second this. I don’t own a GH5s neither. Anyway, this seems to be related to Panasonic cameras en general. If they find the fix, it would probably solve everyone’s issues.
2018-9-10
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hi Mindy,

For what it is worth, I have only seen the problems arise when I have an external monitor connected VIA HDMI.  I played with this camera and Ronin combination for a week without a single issue, but once I connected an external monitor it all went badly the very first time I booted it all up, and every time I have used it since.

Personally, I still believe that this problem exists because of power usage, and maybe because of signal crosstalk.  This would mean that different settings in the camera could cause the problem.  Some have reported issues using certain recording resolution and frame rate, I see the problem only when connecting an external monitor (some with problems have never connected an external monitor).  But even though we have a few different setups, we are seeing the Ronin act up very similarly.

We should consider digging a bit deeper into our camera settings, which can greatly change the power draw and the amount of signal/power being shared via USB.

For example, the fact that we need to turn off our Autofocus and put the camera into a tether mode is interesting.  We are basically telling the camera to not do something (autofocus), then using the Ronin to restate autofocus.  There are about a half dozen settings for Autofocus that we adjust in the menu system, but then we tell the camera not to autofocus.  A GREAT example is that I use both focus peaking and magnification.  One thing I notice is that the magnification only comes on about 50% of the time when I use the focus wheel on the Ronin (it SHOULD come on 100% of the time when I use the focus wheel), the other 50% of the time I don't see any focus magnification when using the focus wheel.

Maybe the problem is as simple as the camera sending conflicting information via USB-C about autofocus settings and it causes the Ronin to glitch.  Maybe the USB bus and the HDMI bus share the same power supply so when an HDMI monitor is connected it draws power from the USB bus, just enough to rob the Ronin from something it needs to work.  I have also seen the Ronin freak out when I manually try to adjust a setting on the camera (like, manually trying to spin the focus wheel on the lens).  

The biggest problem in terms of researching this bug (because it is clearly a bug in the Ronin), is that us GH5 and GH5s owners need to put our cameras in danger in order to test different scenarios.

Hopefully your engineers can replicate this problem soon.  Please keep us posted.

In the meantime, here is the information you requested:

GH5s with firmware v1.1 (the latest)
Lens firmware v1.0 (unknown if there is an update)

Lens:  Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 12-35mm f/2.8 II ASPH. POWER O.I.S. Lens

Card: Sony 64GB SF-G Series UHS-II SDXC Memory Card
2018-9-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Librebowski Posted at 2018-9-10 03:34
Mindy, can you please have them test with the GH5 on firmware v2.3 with the supplied usb type c cable plugged in.

We appreciate your details, will come back soon.
2018-9-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Gafka Posted at 2018-9-10 03:41
I second this. I don’t own a GH5s neither. Anyway, this seems to be related to Panasonic cameras en general. If they find the fix, it would probably solve everyone’s issues.

We are working on locating the problem and will keep you posted once there is any update, thanks for your understanding.
2018-9-10
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules