12469 128 2018-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

RobWest Posted at 2018-9-10 11:32
Totally agree with you. As it's only film modes that require post-processing that suffer from the fish-eye effect, a profile provided by DJI for common editors would keep most people happy.

Checkout the video and I think you'll find the reason why line skipping/pixel binning will always be an issue, there simply isn't enough grunt in the SOC to do sampling onboard.

Is there anyone with actual work to show on the pixel binning shet? It seems like full fov is the way to go for night footage because the mosquito noise in the 1:1 hq mode.
2018-9-10
Use props
Leon.
lvl.2
Australia

RobWest Posted at 2018-9-10 11:32
Totally agree with you. As it's only film modes that require post-processing that suffer from the fish-eye effect, a profile provided by DJI for common editors would keep most people happy.

Checkout the video and I think you'll find the reason why line skipping/pixel binning will always be an issue, there simply isn't enough grunt in the SOC to do sampling onboard.

This article states otherwise, even going as far as to suggest oversampling is a breeze:
Ambarella H3 Main Specs:

8K Ultra HD H.264/AVC video at 30 frames per second
Support for 360-degree cameras with dual 4KP60 video capture
Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS)
Advanced oversampling routines
powerful multi-channel ISP for 360 degree video capture and multi-sensor drone applications
quad-core ARM® Cortex®-A53 CPU with floating point and NEON™
H3’s hardware de-warping engine
10-bit HEVC High Dynamic Range (HDR)

Source: http://www.hispeedcams.com/ambarella-h3-paves-way-portable-8k-video/

With that said, we don't know about the thermal constraits they set for the M2 and adding oversampling + de-warping may exceed that envelope.
No excuse for the lack of a correction profile however.

Billy on YouTube noticed some peculiarities with when distortion is present and when it isn't:

2018-9-10
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 405102 ft
Latvia

Did someone REALY fixed distortion in post??? I'm not talking about people who fixed 3/4 or 1/2 or 7/8 of straight line or horizon. Please don't post if you are happy with your M2P fish-eye 10bit video.
2018-9-14
Use props
MichaelDiggs
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans980d1304 Posted at 2018-9-7 11:39
Maybe the chip can do it but what about extra heat? We don't know anything about how this thing works. Clearly, DJI made an intentional decision and not just an oversight. The fix is simple and free, and you can make a 1 click preset that adds the distortion correction and a Dlog-M LUT simultaneously. No extra work.

Free distortion correction - http://geni.us/DistortionCorrection

But why spend that much on a brand new drone with that camera brand name and then have to post process? The camera and processing power that "should" be included on this drone isn't here and DJI took that cheaper route to make some money before the holidays. Not everyone wants to post process or has the time, and they DO make cameras that output perfect video with no distortion or applying a profile after you shoot. Let's just call it what it is, a flawed and somewhat defective camera/drone. Unfortunately mine is going back to China for a full refund, along with my FlyMore kit from Amazon. Too bad, I was really looking forward to having a new drone with a beautiful camera on it.
2018-9-15
Use props
fansc747d0ac
lvl.2
United States

As far as PL, I couldn't care less. The only time it would be needed is if the pilot was incapacitated or the rc signal was lost and the landing area was small. PL only affects X-Y, not ROD at touchdown. It's impossible to touch down with a high ROD even if you try.

The argument about the barrel distortion is pointless. Wide FOV lenses like this one will have BD. We have the option of normal mode with correction in camera or DLOG that needs color grading.
DJI could help us out with some LUTs or lens presets for our software however. Should be very easy compared with developing and manufacturing the M2!

On the other hand we are only able to use 40.5% of the pixels on the sensor when recording video. Personally the main reason for buying this quad is for the larger sensor as my Mavic Pro flys great and its only weak point is IQ. If the on board processor is indeed capable of using the whole sensor and down sampling the image I certainly hope that DJI plans to help us out.

If they don't I will feel a bit cheated being deprived of 60% of the pixels that I paid for.
2018-9-16
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

Just to remind DJI that they have to do something about it, 1) Should be stated on sales page, 2) Provide Hasselblad specific lens correction profile
2018-9-18
Use props
Andrejs
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1730177 ft
Latvia

Well distortion problem not biggest one right now in my opinion. I saw blurry image from day one and thinking that it is my used settings problem or focus problem, but in reality it is line skipping problem.
I really can see how picture blurry while filming on FULL FOV. When filming landscape I don't want to use HQ mode!

Here video about resolution and sharpness of Mavic 2 PRO. According this test resolution of new mavic 2 pro even worse than original mavic or mavic air !!!

1.png
2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

Not full sensor readout, no lens distortion correction, not enough power to fix it...... Why DJI is even trying to sell something like that?
2018-9-18
Use props
Ruben11
lvl.1
Flight distance : 151588 ft

Netherlands

Sharpness on the mavic 2 pro is very disappointing!

They're advertising like it is a very good camera, but they downsample it very badly.

I have my m2p being shipped soon, I hope they fix this very soon!
2018-9-18
Use props
star4870
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I'm considering to return my mavic 2 pro now. This is really bad.
2018-9-18
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-8 08:17
If I may, I suggest a bit of patience.  The Mavic 2 was released 2 weeks ago & we are on firmware 01.00.0000.  I'm confident fixes & features are ahead.

This should end this thread.
2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

No Man's Drone Posted at 2018-9-18 19:12

Yep, it is like trying to find a truth in mental hospital - even if you are right you are still a patient. Sad.....
2018-9-18
Use props
C_LUU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 481988 ft
Australia

simis Posted at 2018-9-7 10:26
I'm not  At least DJI told us they are NOT fixing this. So.... Mavic 2 Pro Fish-Eye

I cant understand why you are complaining?

Any footage shot in DLOG will always need post processing, that's true for any camera with DLOG capabilities. You're never going to post or use footage directly shot in DLOG unless you don't know what you are doing.

its a simple tick of a box in post processing software, and in my experience post processing always works out better quality than onboard processing.

if you want to make clips with the DJI app stick to H.264 and normal color profile

2018-9-18
Use props
fanscb6385d2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 281283 ft

No Man's Drone Posted at 2018-9-18 19:12

I presume this thread will end, once DJI:

- provides a lens correction profile for the most common Apps
- fixes their line-skipping in FOV (they call "Raw subsampling")
- provides a LUT for their Log-Profile, or at least publish the specs of their Log
2018-9-18
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

C_LUU Posted at 2018-9-18 23:46
I cant understand why you are complaining?

Any footage shot in DLOG will always need post processing, that's true for any camera with DLOG capabilities. You're never going to post or use footage directly shot in DLOG unless you don't know what you are doing.

DLOG is to get more dynamic range right, lens distortion however is nothing to do with color correction. Colourist never fixing any lens distortion, he just working with color. As there is different lenses on market the lens distortion is different as well. in order to fix that you need specific Lens correction profile provided by DJI(which we dont have). There is plenty of videos where people claiming they fixing that. If you will look closer you will notice that they just sort of fixing (3/4-7/8 most of time) that because there is no "universal lens distortion fixing plugin"
2018-9-19
Use props
St-even
lvl.2
Flight distance : 114764 ft
Australia

This is very disappointing. The lens distortion issue really needs to be  fixed. DJI trying to tell us it is our problem to fix is just a joke, Telling us to shoot in normal mode if we don't like the distortion is just insulting. The whole point of this was supposed to be an upgrade, not a side step. Now, on top of that they have put the price up. I don't mind color grading, if there is a specific LUT provided to get the best out of the 10 bit Hasselblad colors. I'm starting to think I should have got the Zoom model instead.
With all the shortcomings of this drone, it seems pretty obvious that is has been rushed into production and prematurely released. Missing features and half functional modes are not what you expect from a new model. Lets  hope that firmware updates will remedy most of the problems, otherwise the sales of the "PRO" might be badly affected. The camera swap is looking pretty attractive at the moment.
2018-9-19
Use props
RazaCom OY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 440135 ft
Estonia

]Come on guys, why are you so worried about it?  It's good that DJI gave us best quality, just paste lens correction in post.  If you don't know how to use it or using videos straight from drone then u don't need Dlog-M as well.

You whining guys are funny.[/color
2018-9-19
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm really glad I have a P4Pro now....!!
2018-9-19
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

2018-9-19
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

I got feeling there is two different mavic 2 pro's
2018-9-19
Use props
Elektrica Atellani
Captain
Flight distance : 9674836 ft
  • >>>
Italy

The FilmPoets have a neat plugin (Free). They also make some pretty cool LUTs. I like this guy, he is full of useful tips.:
https://www.thefilmpoets.com/edu ... -barrel-distortion/
2018-9-19
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

Elektrica Atellani Posted at 2018-9-19 04:09
The FilmPoets have a neat plugin (Free). They also make some pretty cool LUTs. I like this guy, he is full of useful tips.:
https://www.thefilmpoets.com/edu/dji-mavic-2-pro-barrel-distortion/

Thank you for sharing, but unfortunately it is not working in all cases, its good to fix horizon but if there is patterns with straight lines in video- not fixing at all
2018-9-19
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

DJI just released LUT for DLog-M to Rec.709
2018-9-19
Use props
BIGDZ
First Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2018-9-7 18:00
All -

Unfortunately lens correct in 10bit will not be possible .. Please understand they are using available bandwidth for the 10bit color depth.     I will also like add that dlog-m requires post no matter what or you will have a very flat image. this would be just another step to your post workflow. This is the entire point to this type of profile.

Blade

Will they at the least give us more camera styles in h264. Instead of only having NONE setting. I would like to have d cinelike and dlog in that 8bit format..
2018-9-19
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

I hope there will be "ENOUGH POWER" for 2,7K 10bit without "ICONIC"distortion  
2018-9-19
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

So now we can close this topic as DJI released new manual today and clearly stated that in it. Only distortion affected profile is in 10bit color. Thank U all for comments I'm off to shop to buy one
2018-9-20
Use props
DanielVieira
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

"Please note that by correction distortion, the overall quality of the video will diminish"

What?! Dunno why they wrote that...
2018-9-20
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

they wrote it so that simis shuts up.
2018-9-20
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

DanielVieira Posted at 2018-9-20 06:36
"Please note that by correction distortion, the overall quality of the video will diminish"

What?! Dunno why they wrote that...

Because when you applying lens distortion correction it kind of "stretching" image a bit(3-7%).
So it become smaller
2018-9-20
Use props
DanielVieira
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Well but that is not diminish video quality...no one wants lens distortion...it is what is supposed to be!
2018-9-20
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

UCBarkeeper Posted at 2018-9-20 06:38
they wrote it so that simis shuts up.

All the best!!!!
2018-9-20
Use props
fanscb6385d2
lvl.2
Flight distance : 281283 ft

fanscb6385d2 Posted at 2018-9-18 23:56
I presume this thread will end, once DJI:

- provides a lens correction profile for the most common Apps

- Lens correction: Done
- LUT: Done

- FOV: Open

But at least someting is happeneing

2018-9-20
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-20
Use props
dbparti024
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3343 ft

United States

Why are the "Post only visible by Author"?
2018-9-21
Use props
Arsenico
lvl.2
Flight distance : 392920 ft
Spain

Why i cant see some replys?
2018-9-21
Use props
nivong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2267251 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

so DJI is now activly banning all the people here by hiding their posts?
2018-9-21
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

you can still read on mobile. guess this wasn't dji's doing. just a guess.
2018-9-22
Use props
Lobstah Mobstah
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1218379 ft
United States

What the hell does post only author visible mean?  What happened to this thread?
2018-9-22
Use props
simis
Second Officer
Latvia

Hello folks and gay boys, i noticed you missed me. Sorry was a bit busy, didn't want to miss all the fun.
P.S If you see the gay pretending to be me, don't bash him, he is part of social experiment.
2018-9-22
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Lobstah Mobstah Posted at 2018-9-22 20:09
What the hell does post only author visible mean?  What happened to this thread?

Don't know.  But somebody is doing some ''Sanitizing''.

In another thread, a post by Highking has been Sanatized.  Link from a quote to Highking's post now goes to opening OP post of thread.
Seems somebody is protecting Highking (aka Hallmark007).
However, Highking's post still exists in text of Quote itself.  

So does a screen snapshot.
HighKing_post_Sanatized.jpg

2018-9-22
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules