MA panorama mode manual exposure failure
985 11 2018-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

Noticed this before, thought it was a one-off fluke, but had it happen *twice* today.
When doing a panorama run in manual exposure mode, the exposure value sometimes randomly changes mid-panorama.

Here's an example (yes, it's underexposed, on purpose, because it's part of a three-panorama set i wanted to make an HDR out of):

DJI_0070.jpg

And before someone asks, yes, it *was* in ME mode, and *no* there were no filters on board.
The interesting thing is, all photos have the same shutter speed according to exif, but clearly one or two are brighter than the rest.
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, I appreciate your time bringing this topic to us. Upon checking the image, I see that both sides are brighter. May I know if you always encountering this issue in a different location?  Have you tried to reset your camera settings?
2018-9-7
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-9-7 10:32
Hi, I appreciate your time bringing this topic to us. Upon checking the image, I see that both sides are brighter. May I know if you always encountering this issue in a different location?  Have you tried to reset your camera settings?

I have, a while back when this first happened.
I haven't experienced it for a while, now it suddenly popped up again.

It got dark soon after so i couldn't do more testing, i'll reset again tomorrow and se how it fares.
2018-9-7
Use props
Aenghus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41260 ft
United States

This will happen when the sun emerges from behind the clouds during the time it takes the drone to shoot the 25 images. Shoot in RAW, save the 25 individual shots, and then "develop" them to .tif files in groups according to their exposure. Then stitch manually, using PTGui or Hugin. Here's an example of panos made in this fashion.
2018-9-7
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

Aenghus Posted at 2018-9-7 13:24
This will happen when the sun emerges from behind the clouds during the time it takes the drone to shoot the 25 images. Shoot in RAW, save the 25 individual shots, and then "develop" them to .tif files in groups according to their exposure. Then stitch manually, using PTGui or Hugin. Here's an example of panos made in this fashion.

These were shot to RAW.

I think you're misunderstanding what's happening here.
Sun never "emerged behind the clouds".
And this was *manual exposure*.
As in, all have the exact same shutter speed, exact same ISO, and the aperture is fixed.

How would sun emerging behind the clouds affect the color and brightness of the clear part of the sky?
That would have to be some nasty haze...
2018-9-7
Use props
Aenghus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41260 ft
United States

0rcinus Posted at 2018-9-7 13:36
These were shot to RAW.

I think you're misunderstanding what's happening here.

I view the AC's ability to stitch the images as merely a convenient preview of what's possible. Convert from  RAW image-by-image, and stitch yourself for best quality (and MUCH higher resolution). Good luck!
2018-9-7
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

Aenghus Posted at 2018-9-7 13:55
I view the AC's ability to stitch the images as merely a convenient preview of what's possible. Convert from  RAW image-by-image, and stitch yourself for best quality (and MUCH higher resolution). Good luck!

You are 100% correct there.

However, it's still a bug in the internal rasterizer and stitcher, and needs to be reported as such, no?Edit: as an interesting aside, it's not just the stitched panorama that has the issue - the individual JPGs do too.
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

0rcinus Posted at 2018-9-7 12:55
I have, a while back when this first happened.
I haven't experienced it for a while, now it suddenly popped up again.

I see. Please keep us posted. Thank you so much.
2018-9-8
Use props
Ftu channel1
New

Vietnam

That Awesome!
2018-9-9
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

This happened to me one time, I don't think my future attempts produced the exact same result.
2018-9-9
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

What is the EXIF data showing for the RAW DNGs?  Can you see what it did with the exposure (should show the mode, any EV and changes it make) ?
You say it has the same shutter speed but what about ISO and aperture?

2018-9-9
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-9 02:42
What is the EXIF data showing for the RAW DNGs?  Can you see what it did with the exposure (should show the mode, any EV and changes it make) ?
You say it has the same shutter speed but what about ISO and aperture?

That's the thing - the claimed ISO and shutter speed are *the same*. Aperture is fixed (MA).
2018-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules